xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
EnuGHM_XEAQNPPP

Good lord! I need this nowww

This was the first picture I ever saw of the movies before they came out.

Still looks magnificent!

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
After seeing those images and reading that very detailed review, I'm so glad I kept my pre-order of the gift set on Amazon. Can't wait to rewatch again in a few weeks!

Oct 28, 2017
It does one thing that was still such a glaring omission from the theatrical release that I'm still in complete disbelief that they didn't include it:

How do you not show Thorin's
funeral which also, more importantly, shows what happens to the Arkenstone? The stone was a key part in the entire quest and they completely omit its true fate in the movie. It's honestly the only redeeming thing about the BoFA and I literally screamed in excitement "IT'S THERE!" when I saw the scene watching the Extended Edition earlier this year.
What happens to it? I've never seen the EE.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I have an LG CX65 coming soon but I'm reading some stuff about Dolby Vision not being supported on PS5. What would be the best way to watch these if I pay the ridiculous cost for these blu-rays? Does the XSX support Dolby Vision and would it be a better experience?
The Xbox sadly doesn't support Dolby Vision for Blu-rays either, just for streaming (and later games). Maybe it will be updated next year, but no short term plans they said.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm down for this, I've got the trilogy in every other media form so far. Love LOTR

Oct 25, 2017
So I have an LG CX65 coming soon but I'm reading some stuff about Dolby Vision not being supported on PS5. What would be the best way to watch these if I pay the ridiculous cost for these blu-rays? Does the XSX support Dolby Vision and would it be a better experience?
I got a relatively cheap UHD player from LG that suppports Dolby Vision. That might be a solution ?

ps5 not supporting it sucks though. I don't have one but I was planning to get rid of my uhd player when i got one in the future

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I was waiting for a review just to make sure, and Bill's review sealed it for me. Pre-ordered.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After seeing those images and reading that very detailed review, I'm so glad I kept my pre-order of the gift set on Amazon. Can't wait to rewatch again in a few weeks!

I ended up cancelling the Amazon gift set...

In lieu of the BestBuy steel cases. Figure I'll just nab The One Ring separate from somewhere when I feel like it. I'm so thankful that the green tint seems to be gone and it looks better to boot.

Deleted member 40953

user requested account closure
Banned
Mar 12, 2018
I'm absolutely gutted I missed the steelbook preorders when they went live ages ago

Can't find them anywhere in the UK now, can only get the standard 4k set!

Any tips?!

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely gutted I missed the steelbook preorders when they went live ages ago

Can't find them anywhere in the UK now, can only get the standard 4k set!

Any tips?!
At this stage, it's eBay or nothing I think. They were a limited release, so all that were made have most probably been sold.

There may however be a similar steelbook release for the Ultimate edition. Something to keep an eye on.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Why can't the discs be ripped?
I've never ripped a 4K disc but I believe, due to the copy protection, each new release has a unique key that will need to be dumped before the ripping software can bypass it. It won't take long for someone to dump it but hardly anyone has these discs yet.

It would happen with regular Blu-rays every so often, but basically with every new disc now.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Is the release date somehow later in Europe?
Every online shop in Germany I checked has the release date for the 17th, not the 1st.

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I bought the trilogy on iTunes a couple months ago when it was on sale, hopefully I get that 4K upgrade soon.
Target said they won't be delivering my box set till December 6th or so.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I'd really like to watch these and other UHD discs in Dolby Vision but my only UHD player is a PS5.

Could someone recommend a decent UHD player that isn't too expensive that ideally supports both DV and HDR10+? I have an LG C9 TV if it matters.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
So I'd really like to watch these and other UHD discs in Dolby Vision but my only UHD player is a PS5.

Could someone recommend a decent UHD player that isn't too expensive that ideally supports both DV and HDR10+? I have an LG C9 TV if it matters.
I grabbed the Sony x700 player for ~200 CAD the other day. Tested it briefly and it seemed fine. It's pretty commonly recommended. Main downside is you have to manually turn dolby vision on and off in the player settings depending on the disc.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Is the release date somehow later in Europe?
Every online shop in Germany I checked has the release date for the 17th, not the 1st.
Monday 30th here in the UK.

Panasonic's players are really well regarded and the cheapest one (UB450) supports DV and HDR10+. I don't think your TV supports HDR10+, though.

I have the UB820 and it has really great dynamic tone mapping for static HDR (i.e. HDR10), which gives it DV/HDR10+ performance. But I'm not sure if the 450 supports it.

Last edited:

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
EE Bluray screencap
5465f0ac-56a5-45ba-94cf-f5bcb275c3b8-jpeg.1410263

Same shot, UHD phone pictured projection screen:
c463e620-1b0e-46cc-a059-019a10e4e217-jpeg.1410264
The only thing you'll be able to get out of that is overall detail. The phone camera will attempt to color-correct and white balance, which will utterly destroy any color grading, so it's worse than useless for judging color.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
The only thing you'll be able to get out of that is overall detail. The phone camera will attempt to color-correct and white balance, which will utterly destroy any color grading, so it's worse than useless for judging color.
Yes, you can see where the phone has adjusted the white balance for her skin tone. Detail looks excellent, though.

Gandie

Oct 27, 2017
180 GB for a single movie is insane, but I'm all for it. 100mbit/s for FOTR scenes? Streaming will take decades to get there.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
180 GB for a single movie is insane, but I'm all for it. 100mbit/s for FOTR scenes? Streaming will take decades to get there.

To put it into perspective, a 4K movie on Netflix runs about 16Mb/sec total. Blu-ray allows up to 18Mb/sec for TrueHD audio alone, and even higher for some other formats.

This is why I'm always happy to buy movies like this on disc.

Oct 26, 2017
I won't have a 4K TV (and possibly not a PS5) until the ultimate set releases so there's no hurry, but I am so getting these. I can watch these movies over and over.

And the additional extras will be worth it, pretty much whatever they are. The extra disc that was on one of the earlier editions was basically just raw random footage of random stuff happening in the production, and they were worth it.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Everything written in here sounds absolutely excellent: https://thedigitalbits.com/item/lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-2020-4k-uhd

Especially the fact that the VFX shots never blended better with the live action

From an image standpoint, the result is nothing short of remarkable. After having watched all of The Fellowship of the Ring: Extended Edition in 4K with HDR, I went back to look at the previous Blu-ray release. The new 4K image is an order of magnitude better. Let's start with image detail. Everything scanned directly from the original camera negative—which means all live action shots not containing visual effects—looks spectacular, with very light grain in evidence, a significant improvement in overall detail, and lovely fine detailing. You're truly seeing the benefit of camera negative that's been beautifully photographed (by the film's late DP, Andrew Lesnie), well cared for, and scanned in native 4K using state of the art technology.

The detail is so much improved, in fact, that in one shot, during Aragorn and the Hobbits' approach to Weathertop, something caught my eye that I thought at first was a weird compression artifact. Nope... turns out it was grass on the side of a rocky hill blowing in the breeze, a detail I'd never noticed before on the Blu-ray! All of the film's upsampled VFX material is lovely too—obviously the VFX weren't originally produced in 4K resolution, so they're not quite as detailed as the OCN and some shots have a very slight digitally-processed look, but they still match up well. And that digitally-processed look is much less noticeable here than it was on the previous Blu-ray.

It's spectacular.

I'm not kidding you, the new HDR color grade is absolutely, jaw-droppingly stunning. Remember that dreaded green-tint that appeared on the Fellowship Blu-ray, a product of the fact that it was created from the original HD master and not a proper remaster? Yeah… it's GONE. When the Fellowship attempts to cross the Caradhras mountains now, the sky is a perfect high-altitude electric blue. Shadows are extraordinarily deep, yet retain abundant detail, while the brightest highlights are bold—to the point of being slightly eye-reactive.

And the colors! I don't even have the words to describe them adequately. They're accurate and richly-saturated, with delightfully greater nuance than ever before. And whenever the Elves appear—especially in Rivendell and Lothlórien—they're truly luminous. But here's the more important thing: Whereas on the previous Blu-ray there were many VFX shots where the CG backgrounds and creatures didn't quite match well with the live action footage in terms of color and contrast—thus making it more obvious that they were indeed effects shots—the state of the art in image grading technology today means that those elements are now perfectly blended together in 4K and HDR. So the entire film now feels more cohesive, more of a piece than it ever has before.

Fuuuuuuuuck this sounds like the dream transfer we were all hoping it would be. I'm so relieved. The wait for the ultimate editions or whatever they're calling it is gonna suck, but I won't be picking up a 4k TV until next spring anyway so that softens the blow a little.

Last edited:

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh I need to buy this. I've got one of the Samsung QLEDs that is 4k but doesn't have HDR though. Didn't realize my mistake until I bought it

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Oh nice, it's still available somewhere! I havent been following this release so much. Is there any difference if i buy it from amazon spain? I just saw that the paper on the steelbook is in spanish, but what about everything else?
UHD is region free, so apart from the packaging been in a different language, it'll be fine.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017

Wait, is there some reason watching UHD on PS5 is not as good?