NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Just pre-ordered on Amazon. May not get it Tuesday but I had a ton of credit so nothing out of pocket. I can live with that.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, googling tells me it's HDR related. How make or break is it?

PS5 still does HDR10. Shouldn't be too much of a difference, some, but only for the videophiles, really.

Seems neither the Xbox Series X, nor the PS5 do Dolby Vision for Bluray. Strange, as apparently the Xbox at least does do Dolby Vision for games (or will).

I'd be willing to pay for the feature honestly, if it's a matter of licensing. Had no issue paying for Dolby Atmos, either. Worth it.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
As a die-hard fan not gonna lie this is the most exciting stuff happening for me this year but I don't have a UHD player and still waiting for PS5 also I'm getting LG CX soon, will this be available on iTunes Store?

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
As a die-hard fan not gonna lie this is the most exciting stuff happening for me this year but I don't have a UHD player and still waiting for PS5 also I'm getting LG CX soon, will this be available on iTunes Store?
Yes and you'll probably get a free upgrade if you already own a copy considering the iTunes 4K upgrade scheme.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
The Two Towers EE has been showing up in 4K in iTunes for a couple of days for me. The other two aren't yet, and none of the theatrical versions are.

It's weird how these rollouts work. I currently have BTTF3 in 4K on iTunes but not 1 and 2, despite buying them as a trilogy bundle.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Generally speaking, if you buy a non-UHD Blu-Ray with Digital Edition that redeems to itunes and they add a 4k edition, do you get the 4k upgrade automatically?

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Generally speaking, if you buy a non-UHD Blu-Ray with Digital Edition that redeems to itunes and they add a 4k edition, do you get the 4k upgrade automatically?
Yes, as far as iTunes is concerned the 4K and HD versions are the same thing, so if you have one you'll have the other.

The only time this hasn't happened for me was when Warner got tricksy with The Shining because the 4K version was the US cut and iTunes was originally selling the other version.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Two Towers EE has been showing up in 4K in iTunes for a couple of days for me. The other two aren't yet, and none of the theatrical versions are.

It's weird how these rollouts work. I currently have BTTF3 in 4K on iTunes but not 1 and 2, despite buying them as a trilogy bundle.
If you're using an Apple TV, try BTTF1 and 2 on the iTunes Movies app instead of the TV app, as that one usually has the upgrades faster than the TV app.

BTTF 3 didn't show as 4K until a week later that it should, but day one of the upgrade in the iTunes Movies app.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
If you're using an Apple TV, try BTTF1 and 2 on the iTunes Movies app instead of the TV app, as that one usually has the upgrades faster than the TV app.

BTTF 3 didn't show as 4K until a week later that it should, but day one of the upgrade in the iTunes Movies app.
Thanks, I do indeed see them all in 4K with play buttons if I browse to them in iTunes. Weird.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I'm a weirdo who's never seen all 3 films and just ordered this. Should I bother with the hobbit as well? I've heard that they're not as good

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a weirdo who's never seen all 3 films and just ordered this. Should I bother with the hobbit as well? I've heard that they're not as good
Start with the theatrical versions of this trilogy, if you really really like it go for the extended.

The Hobbit ones are okay, but they're not even close.

Thanks, I do indeed see them all in 4K with play buttons if I browse to them in iTunes. Weird.
Yeah, the TV app is weird with that sometimes lol
I just hope they keep the iTunes Movies app alive for a while, it just works better for me IMO

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
My wallet will weep.
DV, Atmos, a proper new transfer..
I grabbed the Sony x700 player for ~200 CAD the other day. Tested it briefly and it seemed fine. It's pretty commonly recommended. Main downside is you have to manually turn dolby vision on and off in the player settings depending on the disc.
I have had it for a couple of years and it has been working amazingly well.
Dolby vision can be left on for HDR10 movies, but for blu-rays it forces pseudo HDR and is really not recommended.

Oct 30, 2017
wondering whether to go for the discs or the itunes versions. higher bitrate on the discs, of course, but apple TV is the only way i can get dolby vision, and obviously it'll be cheaper/more convenient.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
wondering whether to go for the discs or the itunes versions. higher bitrate on the discs, of course, but apple TV is the only way i can get dolby vision, and obviously it'll be cheaper/more convenient.
If that's because you're watching on one of the new consoles, won't they get Dolby Vision eventually? I'd buy the discs and live with HDR10 for a while.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If that's because you're watching on one of the new consoles, won't they get Dolby Vision eventually? I'd buy the discs and live with HDR10 for a while.

That's by no means a certainty. The Xbox One has supported UHD for the last however many years and it never acquired Dolby Vision. There's no reason to assume it'll be any different this gen.

Oct 30, 2017
That's by no means a certainty. The Xbox One has supported UHD for the last however many years and it never acquired Dolby Vision. There's no reason to assume it'll be any different this gen.

yeah, i don't think they will — my guess is they'd need to pay a further licensing fee. maybe if they bundled it into the cost of the remote like the original xbox did for DVD playback? or just charged for the app i guess.

either way, not something i want to bank on. it probably would've come to the one s/x if microsoft was interested.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. I thought it was something in the pipeline, that was just a matter of time.

Personally, I'd still go for the discs. They'll be better quality and you get both versions, and it'll still look great in HDR10. The iTunes version will go on sale eventually so you can grab that later for $20 at some point down the line if you really want DV.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Fair enough. I thought it was something in the pipeline, that was just a matter of time.

Personally, I'd still go for the discs. They'll be better quality and you get both versions, and it'll still look great in HDR10. The iTunes version will go on sale eventually so you can grab that later for $20 at some point down the line if you really want DV.

This I can agree with.

May 30, 2018
aren't these going to include 4k MoviesAnywhere codes? that should get dolby vision and itunes, no?

suedester

Oct 25, 2017
The Two Towers is now streaming with Dolby Vision/Atmos at 4k on the Apple TV app on my LG C9. Looks great, will wait for all three to update before indulging though.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Echoing other advice here: watch either the theatrical versions of LotR, or the extended versions (if you have the time/interest). The general consensus is that overall, the extended versions are best. But they are very long, and some of the added scenes aren't really vital. Many prefer the tighter pacing of the theatricals.

The Hobbit... they're not the worst movies ever. But you probably won't find anyone going around calling them masterpieces like with LotR. They really took a lot of creative license and made some drastic changes compared to the book.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
0e0cb38a-f546-4497-bj1juj.jpeg

My copy arrived!

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Have you read the books? i'm really intrigued how the films come across to someone new to the franchise.

The hobbit should have been 1 film. I didn't know it wasn't. I literally watched it in the cinema and was absolutely flabbergasted that the film stopped part way through.

If they'd made one film it would have been fine, as it is, I wouldn't pay money for them imho.

I loved LOTR when i was growing up, but i havent watche the later hobbit movies.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting comment.

"Like the others, the low resolution digital effects remain an eye sore, not for their dated animation or compositing, rather the messy processing used in an attempt to soften their appearance. Smudgy noise reduction and ringing only worsen things, not better them."

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 4K UHD Extended & Theatrical (2001-2003) - Page 308 - Blu-ray Forum

Page 308- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 4K UHD Extended & Theatrical (2001-2003) 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting comment.

"Like the others, the low resolution digital effects remain an eye sore, not for their dated animation or compositing, rather the messy processing used in an attempt to soften their appearance. Smudgy noise reduction and ringing only worsen things, not better them."

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 4K UHD Extended & Theatrical (2001-2003) - Page 308 - Blu-ray Forum

Page 308- The Lord of the Rings Trilogy 4K UHD Extended & Theatrical (2001-2003) 4K Blu-ray and 4K Movies
As someone else in that thread point out, such things are inherently "baked" in the master as it was made all those years ago. There's nothing they can do about it short of going back and re-creating all of the visual effects with today's technology, which they're never going to do.

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
As someone else in that thread point out, such things are inherently "baked" in the master as it was made all those years ago. There's nothing they can do about it short of going back and re-creating all of the visual effects with today's technology, which they're never going to do.
Indeed. I'm thinking the cave troll from FOTR, the wargs from TTT and Gollum in TTT and ROTK will suffer the most from that issue.

Helmholtz

Feb 24, 2019
Canada
Indeed. I'm thinking the cave troll from FOTR, the wargs from TTT and Gollum in TTT and ROTK will suffer the most from that issue.
People have cited those examples as cases of poorly ageing CGI since the blurays came out. For me personally, they all still look good to great. Maybe I just have a higher tolerance for dated CGI.
I think the fact that people like me still think most of the effects look great is a testament to the incredible work they did, what, 20 years ago? I can't point to many other 20 year old movies as having effects that still look great. Watching the behind the scenes, it blows my mind what they were able to accomplish with such a tiny team using god awful hardware and software.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
My LotR and Hobbit Trilogy Steelbook sets have been shipped.

Looking forward to going through them all again. The new 4k masters look excellent, going off the screenshots I've seen.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
So according to Bill Hunt's review on thedigitalbits, the deluxe set coming next year will not contain the appendices, so anyone wanting all the extras will have to keep the dvd or blu-ray sets too.

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-2020-4k-uhd

Warner has also announced plans to release both 4K sets together in one more deluxe package next summer. That set is expected to include the same 4K movie discs coming on 12/1, with the same Hobbit Blu-rays already available (the movies only, not the extras), and newly-produced Lord of the Rings Blu-rays upgraded with better image quality from this new 4K remaster (those remastered Lord of the Rings Blu-rays will also be available separately next year, in honor of the 20th anniversary of The Fellowship of the Ring).

That package too will include Digital Copies, but it will NOT include The Appendices or any of the other previous extras (with the likely exception of the audio commentaries on the regular Blu-rays).

We're told that it will, however, include one new piece of bonus content that's still yet to be determined. And that package is likely to include deluxe packaging and swag items too (possibly a book of some kind, artwork cards, and maybe replicas of the One Ring and the Key to Erebor).

Deleted member 16516

Oct 27, 2017
So according to Bill Hunt's review on thedigitalbits, the deluxe set coming next year will not contain the appendices, so anyone wanting all the extras will have to keep the dvd or blu-ray sets too.

https://thedigitalbits.com/item/lord-of-the-rings-trilogy-2020-4k-uhd
I'm not sure where he's getting his info from, but the press release only states the following:
BURBANK, CA, October 8, 2020 – Warner Bros. Home Entertainment announced today that The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, from Academy Award®-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson, will be available for the first time on 4K UHD on December 1.​

From New Line Cinema and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Pictures, the two epic trilogies include the theatrical and extended versions of the six films in 4K UHD with HDR. The Hobbit Trilogy includes The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, and The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy includes The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, which won Academy Awards® for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Adapted Screenplay. Both trilogies will also include Digital copies of both versions of each film.​

4K Ultra HD** showcases 4K resolution with High Dynamic Range (HDR) and a wider color spectrum, offering consumers brighter, deeper, and more lifelike colors for a home entertainment viewing experience like never before.​

The 4K remastering process was overseen by Peter Jackson.​

In addition, it was also announced that a 4K UHD "Middle-earth" Ultimate Collectors' Edition featuring the theatrical and extended versions of all six films, along with new bonus content, previously released Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy, and remastered Blu-ray discs of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will be released in the summer of 2021. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy featuring remastered Blu-ray discs of the theatrical and extended versions of the 3 films will also be released in the fourth quarter 2021, to celebrate the 20th​ anniversary of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.​

The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will feature Dolby VisionTM​ HDR that dramatically expands the color palette and contrast range and uses dynamic metadata to automatically optimize the picture for every screen, frame by frame. The 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray discs of The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will also feature a Dolby Atmos® soundtrack remixed specifically for the home theater environment to place and move audio anywhere in the room, including overhead. To experience Dolby Atmos at home, a Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver and additional speakers are required, or a Dolby Atmos enabled sound bar. Dolby Atmos soundtracks are also fully backward compatible with traditional audio configurations and legacy home entertainment equipment.​

The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy will be available on 4K Ultra HD for $89.99 Expected Retail Price.​

Fans can also own The Hobbit Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings Trilogy in 4K UHD via purchase from select digital retailers beginning on December 1st.​
He's probably assuming based on this that the appendices won't be included. I'd wait for further confirmation from WB next year as to the exact contents of the Middle-earth Ultimate Collector's Edition.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018