Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I've never watched the Theatrical versions outside of a theater. EE's only, always & forever.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
The lack of consensus here is tripping me up, haha. I only saw these movies once when they were in theaters, so I pretty much forget everything about these movies. I guess I'll just go with the Extended versions this time around.
A good way to approach it is like this: the theatricals are Peter Jackson's vision of the Lord of the Rings. The extended editions a treat for fans of Tolkien's world.

If you have a love for the world, then the extended editions are the way to go. If you just want some highly entertaining films, unmatched in the fantasy genre, then the theatricals serve that purpose.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I'm just going to put the 4K discs into the DVD packaging, that already includes the appendices. And I did get the collector's box back in the day, which I'm kind of loathe to take off the shelf for these new discs, so might as well just keep using it.

latest
Thanks for this suggestion I may do just that

toadsworth

Oct 25, 2017
Ordered the set for my sister for Christmas. Good memories watching these on Christmas morning

Also bought a copy for myself :)

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The hard part isn't t going to be explaining to my wife why I need to buy the 4K version of LoTR but, rather, explaining why we need to do two viewings of the same trilogy in a single year.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The hard part isn't t going to be explaining to my wife why I need to buy the 4K version of LoTR but, rather, explaining why we need to do two viewings of the same trilogy in a single year.
I actually feel lucky that I haven't sat down and watched them in four or five years. And this time I'm in my own house with no neighbors to worry about. This is gonna be EPIC.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
A good way to approach it is like this: the theatricals are Peter Jackson's vision of the Lord of the Rings. The extended editions a treat for fans of Tolkien's world.

If you have a love for the world, then the extended editions are the way to go. If you just want some highly entertaining films, unmatched in the fantasy genre, then the theatricals serve that purpose.
There are definitely a few things in the extended that should not have been cut, mostly revolving around Boromir, and not just in Fellowship. Those are the extensions that actually alter the film and characters noticeably and is just a few extra minutes. Other stuff is more bonus or as you say, more of the world.

Oct 27, 2017
There are definitely a few things in the extended that should not have been cut, mostly revolving around Boromir, and not just in Fellowship. Those are the extensions that actually alter the film and characters noticeably. Other stuff is more bonus or as you say, more of the world.
Yeah I'm constantly having to argue about Boromir to my buddies when I force them into Lotr talk haha

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
I actually feel lucky that I haven't sat down and watched them in four or five years. And this time I'm in my own house with no neighbors to worry about. This is gonna be EPIC.
Exactly the same situation here, except it was only Fellowship I watched with my fiancé in our apartment riding the volume button like 5 years ago, I haven't seen the other two since theaters and my fiancé has never seen them. We moved into our house in July, I just got an LG CX and a JBL 9.1 soundbar that sounds fucking fantastic, I'm ready for this set.

Oct 27, 2017
Mad man. That's the exact opposite of what I'd do if I was going to mix and match.
I prefer the Extended versions of all the films, though I certainly agree with the other poster that TTT benefits the most from the EE. I hated the Theatrical version of that film and thought it was by far the worst of the films when I saw them in the cinema, but I loved it when I watched the EE and it comes a very, very close second to me after ROTK.

FrsDvl

Oct 25, 2017
not separate? I'd rather not have physical. Plus the "play anywhere" copies don't work here in canada, I believe.

I'll be doing a giveaway for the Canadian digital code in the digital code giveaway thread when I get my copy on Tuesday (hopefully). So if you want them, keep an eye on that thread in the evening!

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
I prefer the Extended versions of all the films, though I certainly agree with the other poster that TTT benefits the most from the EE. I hated the Theatrical version of that film and thought it was by far the worst of the films when I saw them in the cinema, but I loved it when I watched the EE and it comes a very, very close second to me after ROTK.

Thank god someone else shares my opinion! I didn't quite hate TTT, but I did almost fall asleep during it I think. The EE really fixed what made TTT not work for me I think.

Can't wait for Tuesday, skipped the regular blu-ray of this after picking up the big DVD collections, so haven't seen the movies since then. :D

CKDexterHaven

Nov 26, 2017
Scanned the dvds into Vudu for the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit for a total of 12 bucks about a month ago which informs iTunes . So I should get the 4K. I guess I will see If they upgrade.

Oct 26, 2017
I haven't watched the theatrical versions since the extended editions came out. The movies are so good that when you cut stuff the amount of good is lessened. So extended all the way.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just going to put the 4K discs into the DVD packaging, that already includes the appendices. And I did get the collector's box back in the day, which I'm kind of loathe to take off the shelf for these new discs, so might as well just keep using it.

latest
This is a good idea so I looked around and realized that I apparently lost my DVD set.

Oct 27, 2017
Thank god someone else shares my opinion! I didn't quite hate TTT, but I did almost fall asleep during it I think. The EE really fixed what made TTT not work for me I think.

Can't wait for Tuesday, skipped the regular blu-ray of this after picking up the big DVD collections, so haven't seen the movies since then. :D
I also share your opinion that Chie is best girl <3

Haha hate was a bit of a strong word, I did find it very disappointing and underwhelming after watching FOTR in the the cinema, but you're right, the EE fixed all my issues with that film.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's

Extended Fellowship and Two Towers, theatrical Return of the King.

RotK feels more disjointed on the Extended Cut, and the whole Aragorn and the Army of the Dead loses a lot of its impact in my opinion. I do like the expanded scene with Nazgul and Gandalf with the breaking of Gandalf's spear though.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
For me, it's

RotK feels more disjointed on the Extended Cut, and the whole Aragorn and the Army of the Dead loses a lot of its impact in my opinion. I do like the expanded scene with Nazgul and Gandalf with the breaking of Gandalf's spear though.
This was one of the only changes in the EE that I didn't like. They basically ruin the surprise of having them show up at the final battle.

May 30, 2018
according to best buy my 4k steelbook of LOTR trilogy is arriving today. going to wait until my surround sound speakers from costco get here but i'm excited to watch on my new LG CX.

this will be my second time ever seeing the trilogy since like 2009 (probably 720p at the time, haha).

Oct 30, 2017
This was one of the only changes in the EE that I didn't like. They basically ruin the surprise of having them show up at the final battle.

I feel that's only an issue if the EE was your first viewing, but after watching the theatrical version over a dozen times before the original EE released back in 2004, it's the EE for my viewing every time since cause I want it all!

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
according to best buy my 4k steelbook of LOTR trilogy is arriving today. going to wait until my surround sound speakers from costco get here but i'm excited to watch on my new LG CX.

this will be my second time ever seeing the trilogy since like 2009 (probably 720p at the time, haha).
If you wanna sell the digital copies hit me up, can't spend $100 for the physical versions, but I really wanna see them in all their glory!

May 30, 2018
If you wanna sell the digital copies hit me up, can't spend $100 for the physical versions, but I really wanna see them in all their glory!
:( sadly due to lack of dolby vision support on either console the digital copies will be the only way for me to see them in dolby vision in the near term. but i have feeling the BST thread will have a bunch in the next few weeks.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017

My 4K non-steelbooks of LOTR and The Hobbit are coming in today too! Didn't realize they were scheduled for today as I was expecting them later in the week.

I rewatched the LOTR trilogy last year with my son and after finishing Fellowship of the Ring EE, he asked when the next season starts. lol

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
My 4K non-steelbooks of LOTR and The Hobbit are coming in today too! Didn't realize they were scheduled for today as I was expecting them later in the week.

I rewatched the LOTR trilogy last year with my son and after finishing Fellowship of the Ring EE, he asked when the next season starts. lol
Sorry if this is annoying, but wanna sell the digital copies?

Last person I'll ask.

Shadow2222

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll have my copies arriving on Tuesday (for both the Hobbit and LOTR) if anyone wants to buy the digital copies

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's this for me.

I would also encourage anyone viewing EEs for the first time to just take a look at the runtime first. IMO, a great way to watch the EEs is one disc at a time (ie. half the movie in a sitting). They are paced well that way, as that's the way the books were broken up (into 6, rather than 3).

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
Scanned the dvds into Vudu for the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit for a total of 12 bucks about a month ago which informs iTunes . So I should get the 4K. I guess I will see If they upgrade.

Unfortunately it's been my experience that unless I purchased or redeemed the digital copy directly through iTunes; it does not upgrade to 4k. That's why now I just make sure to purchase everything through iTunes if possible so if upgraded versions ever come out I'm not stuck buying the title again. It's a shame because Vudu has some great sales.

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017
My steelbooks came, but the LOTR one arrived with the outer tin scratched up since Best Buy put them in cardboard boxes with no packaging filler. :/

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else only getting LOTR and having no intention to ever buy or watch The Hobbit ever again?

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else only getting LOTR and having no intention to ever buy or watch The Hobbit ever again?

I'll be getting the hobbit but just so I can ethically watch the inevitable 4K fan edits that follow to match the book as much as is possible. I have no intention to ever watch either theatrical or extended cuts of that ever again.

SeroTyler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No appendices and just some new fluff documentary huh? Might be picking this up earlier than I expected.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be getting the hobbit but just so I can ethically watch the inevitable 4K fan edits that follow to match the book as much as is possible. I have no intention to ever watch either theatrical or extended cuts of that ever again.

It needs to be A LOT cheaper than $100 for me to consider buying The Hobbit movies.

Yeah. This is me. I'd buy the steel book set for $30. That's the most I'd pay for it. I only watched BOFA once in the theater, and was so disappointed by it that I decided I never wanted to watch it again. Saw that the EE didn't add much value to it either.
Unexpected Journey was fun, and Desolation was good, but BOFA was just so bad.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
Sweet! I owned all the extended editions on dvd and skipped the bluray editions, happy to buy again for 4K.

Any chance of Dolby Vision I wonder.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Dang it I canceled my preorder of this because I heard the set next year would have the appendices and now that I've learned they won't, Amazon is out of stock.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Dang it I canceled my preorder of this because I heard the set next year would have the appendices and now that I've learned they won't, Amazon is out of stock.

Their lack of communication on these haven't been the best. I want to sell my gold box blu ray sets, but now I'm not so sure...

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A new UHD player isn't in the budget at this point for me, and I'm not sure if it makes more sense to stream this for the DolbyVision or watch a HDR10 physical copy on my PS5 for the boost in IQ.

FCMaxi

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
A new UHD player isn't in the budget at this point for me, and I'm not sure if it makes more sense to stream this for the DolbyVision or watch a HDR10 physical copy on my PS5 for the boost in IQ.

You'll be fine with the HDR10 base layer as the difference between the two in this release is negligible. A tidbit from Ralph Potts review over at avsforum -

Comparing the DV and HDR10 presentations for each of film in this trilogy, I found the HDR renderings to be similar. Each title looked solid on both formats with respect to the reproduction of HDR. I felt that the each handled of the finest details in shadows, delineation in specular highlights and, gradations in variants of color equally. You can't go wrong with either.