Kei-

Mar 1, 2018
This app has been great for me with Helldivers 2 and The Finals, it's really impressive when you get it in the correct working window.

I tried it with helldivers 2 and using the frame gen and it looked like motion blur almost? It looked really bad, is that how it's supposed to look? Was my first time. Had the frame target at 30 through RTSS

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
I used this for my replay of Wolfenstein The New Order and it was great aside from cutscenes having a lot of ghosting from being at 30fps. I've also tried this with X-Com Enemy Unknown and STALKER GAMMA. In STALKER GAMMA it was an absolute miracle worker, because that game runs like dog no matter how good your rig is, and it was great for Enemy Unknown as well! But games with no crosshair, or slower games like X-Com are absolutely the best use case for it. The crosshair ghosting in Wolfenstein was pretty gnarly, but the game's so fast at the best of times that it was fairly easy to ignore.

Also the talk of using it to double 60fps console games like Demon's Souls or Bloodborne with Lance's patch makes me wanna get a capture card... Damn.
Wait wait wait... what are you talking about???

Oct 27, 2017
I tried it with helldivers 2 and using the frame gen and it looked like motion blur almost? It looked really bad, is that how it's supposed to look? Was my first time. Had the frame target at 30 through RTSS
You can use this with online games? I would have figured this would have thrown up a flag somewhere.

A.M.

Community Resettler
They need to get it on steam os or valve needs to make it work with proton

Or valve needs to make their own solution

Hopefully the dev gets some more people on board to somehow get it to work. Doing anything like this has got to afford a very high skill level to figure out. The dev obviously knows their stuff and whatnot...
We'll just have to be patient and wait to see what's to come this year.

Valve? I imagine it's in the pipeline.
Hopefully.
Sure would be keen if Valve were making that. Oooh, and I don't know if it would work for Valve or anyone, in anyway, a sort of new cloud streaming service thing that isn't reliant of your PC.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I haven't tried this app. But I see that AMD has driver-level support for frame-genning DX11/DX12 games. Anybody know if one is better than the other?

Lance Mcdonald made a homebrew patch for Bloodborne that gets the game to run at (close to?) 60fps on PS4 Pros.

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully the dev gets some more people on board to somehow get it to work. Doing anything like this has got to afford a very high skill level to figure out. The dev obviously knows their stuff and whatnot...
We'll just have to be patient and wait to see what's to come this year.

Valve? I imagine it's in the pipeline.
Hopefully.
Sure would be keen if Valve were making that. Oooh, and I don't know if it would work for Valve or anyone, in anyway, a sort of new cloud streaming service thing that isn't reliant of your PC.

Man that'd be the dream. Built-in frame generation in Steam that works on PC and Steam Deck.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
This works in really any application you want, including capturing gameplay from consoles, or doubling the framerate on a youtube video. No need for it to be ran locally. For example ive used this a few times with Xcloud and Geforce Now

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017

I had my target set at 40 with RTSS, that might have made the difference. Give the beta branch a try as that should help with the 30 cap.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
This works in really any application you want, including capturing gameplay from consoles, or doubling the framerate on a youtube video. No need for it to be ran locally. For example ive used this a few times with Xcloud and Geforce Now
I have a capture card, might test it this weekend

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

I do not think this is viable for 30 -> 60 for most games. Heck even 40 -> 80 is pushing it. Anything with fast motion or fast mouse look in my experience has looked like trash. The examples mentioned itt like Okami and FFX are still basically unplayably visually distracting as soon as there's any remotely fast camera movement, it's just that before they were far worse. There are certainly 30 fps games with slow movement and more constrained camera motion that could benefit from this but yeah.

What it is kinda magical for is the free 60 -> 120 with very minimal artifacting in a lot of cases, especially if you're on a controller to constrain camera speed. Plenty of console ports have 60 fps caps so you can double that very cheaply.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
I've found this best for 60fps side scrolling games that don't move too quickly. It was amazing on Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth for instance, as well as several fighting games.

Even in those cases though, you can still get artifacting fairly easily. Usually around the player character with lots of occlusion, or on fast moving detailed backgrounds.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Tried this for the first time in Genshin Impact about 3ish weeks ago. It did make it look smoother going from 60 to 120 but the artifacting was incredibly bad and distracting especially around the character.

Tried it again yesterday after upgrading from a 1440p to 4k display and the artifacts are waaaay less noticeable. I'm still not sure if I would use it but it actually seems viable now.

Does the tech improve with higher res displays or was there some recent update that improved things?

Lil Bee

Feb 13, 2024

Yep! You can inject the frame interpolation into ANY source. Youtube videos, an OBS capture, whatever. Someone posted a gif of them playing Bloodborne with the 60fps mod captured through OBS, interpolated with LSFG. It was somewhere in this thread. The gif runs at half speed, so you doubled it to see what they were seeing. 120fps bloodborne!

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
2.7.2 is now out of beta!

Tried it again yesterday after upgrading from a 1440p to 4k display and the artifacts are waaaay less noticeable. I'm still not sure if I would use it but it actually seems viable now.

Does the tech improve with higher res displays or was there some recent update that improved things?
Pretty much, yeah. In general, upscalers work best when they have a solid foundation. I generally upscale from 1440p windowed to 4K with LS1, and most games look almost indistinguishable from native 4K. (I imagine the effect would be lessened if going from, say, 1080p to 1440p.)

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
2.7.2 is now out of beta!

Pretty much, yeah. In general, upscalers work best when they have a solid foundation. I generally upscale from 1440p windowed to 4K with LS1, and most games look almost indistinguishable from native 4K. (I imagine the effect would be lessened if going from, say, 1080p to 1440p.)
Oh I meant frame generation. How well does the actual scaling work? LS1 is the devs own scaling algorithm, right? If only there was a digital foundry comparison lol

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
How well does the actual scaling work? LS1 is the devs own scaling algorithm, right? If only there was a digital foundry comparison lol
Yeah, LS1 is the dev's work. It's a really excellent algo too, producing a very sharp image that's often very difficult to tell apart from native. It's everything that AMD's FSR 1.0 should have been.

Blows my mind that LS1 is 1) not the default option, instead buried way down in the upscaler list, and 2) that it's basically the work of one person in Ukraine, who had to flee their home at least once during the war.

snipe_25

Oct 27, 2017
2.7.2 is magic. I've tried it both with Persona 3 Reload and Helldivers 2 on my ROG Ally for Framegen with and without upscaling and it just adds a lot of smoothness to both games even at upper 30s. This will get a LOT of use on my Ally.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
I tried to play Bloodborne with the frame generation and it actually works! But the image is full of weird artifacts constantly

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Tried FG in EA Sports PGA Golf but it is utterly useless because the game has no borderless fullscreen and seems to put out a 720p signal in windowed mode even when set to 4K.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
2.7.2 is magic. I've tried it both with Persona 3 Reload and Helldivers 2 on my ROG Ally for Framegen with and without upscaling and it just adds a lot of smoothness to both games even at upper 30s. This will get a LOT of use on my Ally.
Yep, this really is a joy with the Ally (and a perfect example of why I went with the Ally over the Steam Deck)

Arukado

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the survival horror game Deep Fear using this to play it at 60fps, and it worked particularly well with the fixed cameras.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I use this with my laptop alot, particularly when playing Genshin Impact, to go from 72-> 144 fps. The latest version of Lossless Scaling Frame Generation is really good considering its not doing any machine learning.

Lilly-Anne

Feb 14, 2024
2.0 is out
store.steampowered.com

Lossless Scaling - Steam News Hub

Updates, events, and news from the developers of Lossless Scaling.

Seemingly a big improvement (at the cost of a bit higher gpu load) . Ive only tried it with FFX HD so far but im very impressed. Artifacting has been reduced to a almost imperceptible minimum and the issues there were before with the edges of the screen were completely fixed.

Last edited:

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Seemingly a big improvement (at the cost of a but higher gpu load) . Ive only tried it with FFX HD so far but im very impressed. Artifacting has been reduced to a almost impercible minimim and the issues there were before with the edges of the screen were completely fixed.
Whoa, you weren't kidding, this is crazy. FFX looks basically native 60 now. And Okami is incredible with this on.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
This is a huge improvement, especially for 30 fps content. I'd actually use this for games forever locked at 30 fps, which wasn't even close to true for the original release. Didn't expect this to be possible really.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
quickly tested this, metal wolf chaos is always my go to since its locked to 30fps. Cut scene has far less artifacts now however gameplay is still have too much artifacts like different portion of the screen has screen tearing. Still not usable for me.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Is this app recommended for integrated graphics like the Intel Iris, or are the scaling and frame generation too heavy on the GPU?

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
Is this app recommended for integrated graphics like the Intel Iris, or are the scaling and frame generation too heavy on the GPU?
GPU isn't as important as being able to hit a consistent frame rate target to start from. This won't work well if you can only play the game you're interested in using the software with at, say, 20 fps. It'll double to 40 fps but with artifacts and latency. You still want to be able to hit at least 30 fps minimum but ideally higher.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
GPU isn't as important as being able to hit a consistent frame rate target to start from. This won't work well if you can only play the game you're interested in using the software with at, say, 20 fps. It'll double to 40 fps but with artifacts and latency. You still want to be able to hit at least 30 fps minimum but ideally higher.
I will give it a shot thanks! I think I can manage to hit/cap 40 on my Surface Pro with most games I play on there.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like it varies from game to game but this update was a noticeable improvement in my use case, 95% of artifacting is gone. Wow.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Seems it's not feasible for integrated graphics. the GPU usage goes up 10%-15%, sometimes even more, when enabling the scaling - without LSFG even.
Kinda sad since it would solve a lot of scaling/full-screen issues on the Surface computers.

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
I've been keeping my eye on this program for a long time, but this newest update seems to be impressive. If I want to play something that already has DLSS and just want to use framegen is it an easy thing to load up?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Sounds pretty easy. Is this one of those things where it's most beneficial with controller because you'd feel latency or anything or is it just a game by game thing?
LSFG works great with mouse and keyboard games in my experience. It is still kind of a game-by-game thing (because a few games have really bad framepacing and there's only so much an injectable framegen solution can do for those), but overall it works really really well.

Vexii

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Seems it's not feasible for integrated graphics. the GPU usage goes up 10%-15%, sometimes even more, when enabling the scaling - without LSFG even.
Kinda sad since it would solve a lot of scaling/full-screen issues on the Surface computers.
What scaling option are you using? Each one has a different level of overhead, some have performance modes, etc.

I previously made the mistake of using Anime 4K for upscaling some non-video solutions and that was a big mistake even on an RTX 3080.