• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
I hope no one ever writes me a love letter like this.

Also just before everyone comments, yes we can all understand what he's saying in this clip I'm just using the twitter link for the video itself.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
I am shocked that is Leto. Kind of an amazing performance.

before the pitchforks come out you all should listen to some audio from the Gucci family at the time. It is not a perfect impression but it is fairly close.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I have not seen the movie but it has been described to me as "a white person doing whiteface," which is surely something.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
biz8e1C.png

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
After watching House of Gucci, which felt a half-hour too long, I wondered whose accents were coming across as good efforts to Italians.

Jeremy Irons was barely even trying.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Italy too old for Jared Leto to be writing love letters to? South Sudan would be more suited to his preferences.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard people say that some of the accents are too outlandish but honestly I think they are pretty spot on when directly compared.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am shocked that is Leto. Kind of an amazing performance.

before the pitchforks come out you all should listen to some audio from the Gucci family at the time. It is not a perfect impression but it is fairly close.
Looking it up, it's funny that Paolo (Leto's character) seems to have the least strong accent of them all though, lol

Meanwhile it seems like Adam Driver could have actually put on a stronger one

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What movie *isn't* too long these days? I swear that there is some industry rule introduced last year that every movie has to be at least 2:30 in runtime.
Streaming is a big part of it.
Movie theaters are incentivized to have shorter movies, since they can have more shows per day and make more money, but streaming services care about hours of content and time in the app.

I fucking hate it.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I always do wildly exaggerated, borderline racist impersonations of cultures I love.

Seriously though, Paolo Gucci sounded absolutely nothing like that. Leto is apparently playing Wario instead. Which is not really that surprising, since Leto seems to only be capable of playing caricatures.

May 14, 2021
Does the tweet in the OP supposed to mean something? I understood him fine. Maybe she needs a hearing test.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Saw House of Gucci yesterday. It was almost impressive, the way Leto would open his mouth and scenes would just turn to shit.

After watching House of Gucci, which felt a half-hour too long, I wondered whose accents were coming across as good efforts to Italians.

Jeremy Irons was barely even trying.
I agree, but I have the feeling that he probably believed that making little/no effort at an accent is better than speaking with a mangled accent. If I could, I wouldn't mind checking out his original takes to see if he had been struggling with it.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Because I heard it described as "Wario" and that kinda sold me

Oct 27, 2017
Mama-Mia! Datsa spicy-a meataball-a!

I actually think he's joking and it's a bit of wry humor on his part but it just makes him come across as more obnoxious.

OP
OP
valuv

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
He's not unintelligible that's true, he's talking like a fucking cartoon character.
Yeah I think people posting that they can understand him are completely missing the very obvious point of what's wrong with his performance, let alone acting like it's somehow honouring Italy.

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
In a movie where everyone's doing some sort of outlandish accent he still managed to act like he was on a completely different set to everyone else

Why do they keep hiring this dude

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
If that's a love letter, I don't ever want to see what his "Dear John" letters look like. Jesus fuck, why does everyone shit on Italian culture and accent lately while getting it completely wrong...

bestemmie, tante tante bestemmie

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
I agree, but I have the feeling that he probably believed that making little/no effort at an accent is better than speaking with a mangled accent. If I could, I wouldn't mind checking out his original takes to see if he had been struggling with it.
I have a feeling that Jeremy Irons just didn't give a shit, because the whole idea is fucking ridiculous, and he's a 73 year old man who doesn't have to do that kind of minstrel bullshit to get a check. He didn't do that for Borgias either, because he's not playing Assassin's Creed.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
This is kind of like saying that Russ Abbott's character C U Jimmy is a love letter to Scotland.
hqdefault.jpg

or that any American impression of a French soldier in WW2 is the same.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that Jeremy Irons just didn't give a shit, because the whole idea is fucking ridiculous, and he's a 73 year old man who doesn't have to do that kind of minstrel bullshit to get a check. He didn't do that for Borgias either, because he's not playing Assassin's Creed.
We're in agreement then.