SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
It's an awesome movie but I could never get over the fact that Killmonger sounds like a 14 year making what he thinks is an awesome online handle for himself.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
i mean its not just a small part of the movie its the final fight/conclusion....it really ruined the whole movie for me.the whole 3rd act soured the experience

It's rough for sure, I rarely see people pretend otherwise. All the same, there's more to a movie than CGI, simple as that. That people often go further with it and use that fight to act as if it represents how the entire movie looks is also rather irritating and disingenous.

As for the 3rd act, for me personally it ended on a high note for me due to how the big battle ended, as well as Kilmonger's final words/death.

It's an awesome movie but I could never get over the fact that Killmonger sounds like a 14 year making what he thinks is an awesome online handle for himself.

Well it's not like he gave himself the nickname lol

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Lol the only thing aspirational about Wakanda is it's a safe haven to black folk (when they actually let outsiders in) and that it's so technologically advanced.

Wakanda isn't meant to be some utopia though. The country has big issues. It's not supposed to be idealized, that's a projection you're placing on it.

Even if Wakanda wasn't positioned as an aspirational goal for the rest of the world (which I disagree with), why is the secret crown jewel of black achievement in the MCU a nation governed by regressive, throughly outmoded traditions that every other developed nation on earth has long since discarded (for very good reason)? It's insulting.

It sucks because the performances, visual design, and soundtrack are all excellent, but I just can't connect to T'Challa's quest because he's fighting to restore a status quo for his people that I fundamentally, viscerally disagree with.

Last edited:

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
My only issue with the movie was that I thought T'Challa was overshadowed by just about every other performance. Shuri, Okoyo, M'Baku, Nakia, Killmonger, hell, even Bilbo and Gollum. He wasn't bad in this or anything, I just expected more, especially coming off Civil War where he was given such a great introduction to the MCU.

That was the point. We knew T'challa, the film was introducing us to his world and everyone else. And the guy playing BP is such a good and generous actor that he doesn't need to be centre of attention at all times.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he's not wrong. Thanos is a one-note villain whose entire motive is devoid of any depth. And not exactly well thought through, honestly.
Yeah, I don't need a Killmonger type background for a villain whose plan is so comically over the top devastating. Brolin did a great job bringing a giant eggplant to life. Thanos is a fine villain for what he is.

Oct 27, 2017
My only issue with the movie was that I thought T'Challa was overshadowed by just about every other performance. Shuri, Okoyo, M'Baku, Nakia, Killmonger, hell, even Bilbo and Gollum. He wasn't bad in this or anything, I just expected more, especially coming off Civil War where he was given such a great introduction to the MCU.
The whole thing about T'Challa in BPis that he isn't ready to lead. That is the whole point of his arc in the film. He's much more decisive in Civil War because he's only really driven by emotion, and acting in his own interest. Here, we see that though he's a good man (which we know from the end of CW), he just isn't ready — the death of his father has forced him into a situation where he needs to decide what kind of king he wants to be and what kind of country Wakanda will be going forward.

Each of the other characters represents various aspects of progressivism (Shuri), pride in their culture & empowerment (Okoye), tradition (M'Baku), altruism/humanitarianism (Nakia), those the nation has failed (Erik Killmonger), protectionism (W'Kabi), the risks of outsiders who could want to exploit your resources and so on (Kalue, to a lesser extent Ross). Them having such a strong influence in the film is necessary to show all the different facets that will be important for T'Challa while he's still searching for the "right" thing to do. T'Challa is a man who wants to do right by all of them, but in practice what does that mean? And until a leader has their answer, how much can they really do? They'll lack the decisiveness/boldness he had when he was singularly focused on revenge in CW.

To quote the film itself "You are a good man with a good heart. It is hard for a good man to be king".

So T'Challa is unready, but he is not unworthy — in contrast to Erik who is ready, but is unworthy. In another thread some peeps were saying that they didn't get why T'Challa could lose one fight against Erik, only to beat him again later, and I said this at the time:

I've been so conditioned by movies where heroes are only beat down due to a handicap (kryptonite, poison, foul play etc) that I was shocked that it was never revealed that Killmonger was on some secret CIA juice or something.

Nah, he just beat T'Challa's ass fair and square.
There was a thematic aspect to that. Basically over the course of the film T'Challa is torn between maintaining the tradition of isolationism to protect his country, and the idea that with their abilities, there is much that Wakanda could contribute to the world to improve it (particularly for those who are suffering). This is codified in his talks with Nakia (who denies coming home to stay with him), W'Kabi (who doesn't think they should allow refugees in but would be ok with going out into other countries to change things), and the centuries of keeping Wakanda's true abilities a secret.

So while he disagrees with Killmonger for the most part, he is still sees some validity in his words, and is thus conflicted / hesitant. It's why he accepts the challenge. But he can't beat him because where T'Challa has doubts, Killmonger has absolute conviction. Eric has long since discarded any sense of doubt or remorse (hence the speech about how many he's killed to get there including his own kind etc). Also of note is him mocking T'Challa & the Wakandans with "is this your king, the one meant to lead you into the future?" etc etc. None of that dialogue is conincidental.

It's not until T'Challa is able to come to a resolution himself (in his second ancestral plain sequence), where he is able to denounce the old ways as wrong and acknowledge that Killmonger as a product of Wakandan isolationism, that he gains a conviction equal to Killmonger's and brings their fight back to thematically equal terms.

I thought it was a pretty good movie. I agree that it fell off rather sharply in the last act. Killmonger takes the throne and the movie felt like it ran out of ideas. His plan with the ships and exporting the vibranium around the world was so undercooked. We never even got to see how a ruler like Killmonger could change Wakanda. Missed opportunity. T'Challa loses the fight, is found and comes back and wins the days with ease. No consequences to Killmonger's rule. As soon as the action climax started I checked out of the movie. Zero tension
...Because he had zero interest in changing Wakanda in any kind of way you are imagining. Wakanda was just a tool, a milestone, an enabler for what he wanted to do. Militant expansive empire was the only change he was interested in.

Killmonger didn't really have anything else left in him but a deep anger towards everything in the world that had betrayed him and those like him, and he couldn't escape it. It was his source of strength but also his character weakness, and why he was ultimately not fit to rule despite raising very valid points about Wakanda's former governance. However there were broader consequences to Killmonger's actions in that they fully convinced T'Challa on what path to take for Wakanda's future, what kind of king he wanted to be and what it meant for their place in the world — which was the entire point of his arc for the film...

But all of this is wildly off topic in a box office thread and should be in the discussion/spoiler threads. I'm actually disappointed in myself for perpetuating it.

==========

I'm thinking about Killmonger more deeply now that yall have mentioned powers granted by the heart-shaped fruit. T'Challa says that he can be healed, but of course, Erik gives us that line that makes everyone swoon. He survives, DBZ style, for like 5 more minutes after he is stabbed. Feels like he could have healed himself.

But instead, he chooses to die with honor. T'Challa does not have to kill him; Erik yields.

But why would he have to go to prison just because he was defeated in a Trial by Combat? M'Baku challenged for the throne, was defeated, and went about his business. Is Erik just being irrational by killing himself? What crime did he (knowingly) commit? Everyone thought T'Challa was dead, making him the king of Wakanda. "When I say do something, I mean that ****."

That's what a monarchy is, brehs.

Speaking of monarchy, with the garden of the heart-shaped herb gone, is will there ever be another Black Panther besides T'Challa? Will he have an heir? Cultural continuity questions!

Erik wouldn't yield. Part of what separates him from T'Challa (and also from his own father N'Jobu's original goal) is that he is too far gone — all he has left in him is his anger. It's whats driven him all that time to do what he's done since childhood. Losing a single fight to T'Challa isn't going to free him of that. He can't let go of it and he knows it, which is why he knows he wouldn't be take a place living among them and live normally and only incarceration would await him. Hence his final line.

Last edited:

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
I wish some of the effects were better and the last fight was a bit better thought out. Their fight on the dried up waterfall was a lot cooler than the nonsense at the end.
But still one of the best Marvel movies.

Oct 27, 2017
Also while I agree that some of the CG was rough (and erasing the stunt performances and replacing them with complete CG replacements was a mistake), people can miss me with the "BP is worst MCU, its CG looks like PS2 lol", when Infinity War's Iron Man looked like this:

dtt4410_v320-1012.jpg

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Wakanda wasn't positioned as an aspirational goal for the rest of the world (which I disagree with), why is the secret crown jewel of black achievement in the MCU a nation governed by regressive, throughly outmoded traditions that every other developed nation on earth has long since discarded (for very good reason)? It's insulting

As a nigga, it's not insulting. Not to me, anyways.

Their tradition has kept them safe for centuries, and they've thus held on to it, in part because they're so damn closed off from everyone else.

They're not meant to be what you're saying they are. Not yet, anyways.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I read stuff like this. By marvel standards I thought it was just okay. Glad a lot of people got more out of it though due to what it represents to them. Killmonger was sick however, loved that guy.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Black Panther is a damn fun and solid MCU film and is one of the better ones in the MCU library. But outside of that it is an average film that has a lot of issues. The main one being the CGI. It is glaringly bad at times.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Also while I agree that some of the CG was rough (and erasing the stunt performances and replacing them with complete CG replacements was a mistake), people can miss me with the "BP is worst MCU, its CG looks like PS2 lol", when Infinity War's Iron Man looked like this:

dtt4410_v320-1012.jpg
Looks good. Don't see anything wrong.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Looks good. Don't see anything wrong.
That still frame he pulled out compared to a bunch of noticeably bad CGI in BP is just as bad okay.

I thought I read that BP got shorted dev time on the CG because teams were pulled over to Infinity War at the time. Could be bullshit but doesn't sound too far fetched.