• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
Seasons 2 & 3 are solid, 1 is horrible, the rest are mediocre.

Everything Michael Schur makes is not particularly funny yet inexplicably loved by critics and people on the internet. I'll never understand it. It's like the word overrated was created for him.
or maybe his style of humor don´t conect with you but conect with others

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
"I barely laughed."

Let me guess, you thought it was an actual documentary.

MyQuarters

Oct 25, 2017
UK
We're not supposed to love Pawnee - Lesley loves Pawnee. Two different things. The show is highlighting how thankless public service can be.

The gay penguins stuff hasn't aged badly, it's aged incredibly well. Plenty of people are still ridiculously against shit like that for absurd reasons.

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
I'll be the one person who agrees with you. You're right.

Parks is over rated and already dated... It's schmaltzy and convenient and rote. It reminds me of How I Met Your Mother and like that show, it just doesn't make me laugh compared to 30 Rock and The Office and Community, each of which hold up much better, imo.
30 Rock isn't dated? I love that show but have you watched it lately? Its treatment of gays and transgenders is abhorrent.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Awful take

Parks and Recreation is amazing and is better than The Office at times.

Leslie is miles ahead of Michael
The cast is amazing
There are better plots to follow
It ends at just the perfect time.

It's only weak points are season 1 and early season 6, but I would watch those a thousand times before watching season 8 or 9 of The Office

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
I think it holds up a lot better than The Office tbh. The Office feels insanely dated whenever I watch a random episode.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Pretty much says it all.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a show where individual scenes and character moments tend to be better than full episodes.

It's telling that when people mention P&R the first thing people think of is "funny gif of Ron Swanson doing something" instead of any specific episode.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I felt the same for the first few episodes but then it grew on me. I'm up to the end of the fourth season. I've found the humor has gotten progressively better. Swanson is my absolute favorite. He knocks it out of the park.

Woolley

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We're not supposed to love Pawnee - Lesley loves Pawnee. Two different things. The show is highlighting how thankless public service can be.

The gay penguins stuff hasn't aged badly, it's aged incredibly well. Plenty of people are still ridiculously against shit like that for absurd reasons.
Yea, if you think the penguins aged poorly I don't think you understand the episode.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I was annoyed by your post right from the offset due to its premise and then every line of the content made me progressively more frustrated. Your complaints are basically that the characters are too perfect at what they're supposed to be, lol. It almost read like a parody if I'm being honest.

Anyway, outside of the meh first season, Parks is absolutely perfect.

Oct 28, 2017
Washington DC
Show is amazing after you get through the first season, and once you hit season 3...oh man; so good. The series is one of my favorite comedies. I've recently introduced my wife to the show; she was at first not feeling it at all but I warned her about season one. We're currently in the early episodes of season three and she's been laughing hysterically.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I heavily disagree. The Office is funny enough, I'll give you that, but it's way more mean-spirited.

Parks and Rec is way more heartwarming and not nearly as malicious.

Ron, April, and Ben were high points for me. Ben has the best reaction faces in particular for me, making him my favorite.

Whereas at least so far as I watched in The Office, which was part way through Season 2 I believe? Maybe the beginning of Season 3? Michael feels like he's trying way too hard to be awkward a lot of the time, Jim is funny, Dwight is funny, but I don't really buy in to many other members' personalities and comedy.

I don't know. I vastly prefer Parks and Rec to Office. It's certainly aged better than The Office in my opinion.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's a character-driven comedy so if you don't like the characters, you won't like it. I like the characters.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
Party Down is obviously better than either of them.
Agreed, this show being only two seasons is a tragedy.

I feel that P&R is consistently good once you get past S1 (Office is shaky in S1 too), but never has any truly incredible episodes or truly bad ones, which I feel The Office has a good amount of both. P&R is a solid 8, Office ranges from 5-10 depending on the episode.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ""jokes"" lampshading how nothing is wrong with being gay – while just previous exclaiming what's wrong with any of them being considered gay to someone – is suuuuper awkward.

the cast of Seinfeld are very intentionally awful people, and I feel like this bit is funny because of its blatant hypocrisy.

and OP, Parks and Rec is a warm hug of a show.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the treatment of Jerry encourages work place bullying and is why I can't understand people calling it warm and loving. Not that it ruins the show it's just it always felt tonally wrong for the show they wanted to make.

Last edited:

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, we're opposites. I don't find anything in The Office funny, but Parks and Rec regularly gets me laughing. I've gone through it about three times now.

I agree with your points about Tom and Gerry. You're also the only other person besides me I've seen compare Leslie to Batman. :P I think she and Bruce have many similar qualities.

Agreed, on every point.

The office is unwatchable, Tom is a POS that never changes, The Bullying of Larry is bad but I think it's to show these characters have flaws.

Ron is almost insufferable but luckily he changes a bit later on.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how that's supposed to be actually funny though

The one part about that whole thing that was both funny and awesome was Ron shooting a drone out of the air and showing up with it at Leslie's door in the rain.

Just from your description it's super obviously a joke about extrapolating tech and culture in near future time jumps and how writers always overshoot it by like twenty or fifty years.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Feb 25, 2018
Tried parcs and rec and got bored after 4-5 episodes.

The Office is really funny to me.

To each his own.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
P and R is much better than the office. The office had some good moments but went downhill with Andy, whereas Parks got better and better even till the end.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Agreed, this show being only two seasons is a tragedy.

I feel that P&R is consistently good once you get past S1 (Office is shaky in S1 too), but never has any truly incredible episodes or truly bad ones, which I feel The Office has a good amount of both. P&R is a solid 8, Office ranges from 5-10 depending on the episode.

I agree that P&R is fairly consistent other than a shaky first season & a few mediocre episodes in the later seasons, but I disagree that it doesn't have any standout episodes. IMO, some of the best episodes are:

The Comeback Kid (the Ice Rink episode)
The Treaty (the Model UN episode)
The Fight (the Snake Juice episode)
Time Capsule (the Twilight episode)
Flu Season
Hunting Trip
Telethon
Sister City

My wife tried P&R and gave up after a couple episodes (not surprising since the 1st season is noticeably worse than the rest), but then a friend recommended the Time Capsule episode to her and she found it hysterical so we gave it another shot & ended up loving the series.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Honestly it is far more consistent than the office. I actually enjoyed it all the way to the end, although the last season really ruined my suspension of disbelief with the ridiculous technology that was far too high tech for the year they were portraying. Great show overall.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I love both Office and Parks. Parks is much more heart warming and I love the characters more.

I understand the hate on Office, but I'll never understand how could you possibly not like Parks?!

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I will say that I think Brooklyn 99 is getting close to PNR level. We'll have to see how it ends at some point in the near future but so far its been consistantly brill.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
Pawnee is the worst part of a really funny show. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if moderating Pawnee hurts or helps the show in any way.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Also a great sitcom that's ongoing right now is Kim's Convenience, I believe it's on Netflix in most places in the world, I feel it does workplace/family comedy so much better than Parks and The Office.
I just tried starting this and the opening sequence is making fun of homophobic Koreans... Will I hate this?

Pein

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I will say that I think Brooklyn 99 is getting close to PNR level. We'll have to see how it ends at some point in the near future but so far its been consistantly brill.
for me brooklyn 99 isn't ever gonna hit the levels of parks, its just too damn ridiculous. I think Parks is so good because they have heartfelt episodes and moments, you really do feel something for ben and leslie. brooklyn 99 is just one long gag.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think the treatment of Jerry encourages work place bullying and is why I can't understand people calling it warm and loving. Not that it ruins the show it's just it always felt tonally wrong for the show they wanted to make.
I think they did a great swerve on this by showing that Jerry/Garry/Larry/Terry gets the last laugh by having a very happy home and family life. And a... very satisfied wife.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think they did a great swerve on this by showing that Jerry/Garry/Larry/Terry gets the last laugh by having a very happy home and family life. And a... very satisfied wife.
I think that's the best way they could have played it.... It still doesn't change it's an entire show where a work place is humiliating and insulting a coworker. Especially since most audiences probably don't finish the show and watch random episodes.

Again I like the show don't take this as me calling it bad or mean spirited by any means I just think kinda kills the warm vibe every time it happens

LBsquared

Banned
Nov 22, 2019
This is a show where individual scenes and character moments tend to be better than full episodes.

It's telling that when people mention P&R the first thing people think of is "funny gif of Ron Swanson doing something" instead of any specific episode.
False. PIKITAS!