• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
And some of it is just so not Rainbow Rhythms.
IKR?!

dO3tFxP.gif

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Yeah they're not supposed to be that likeable but the show does mine a lot of empathy from how relatable their pathetic situations are.

It's ages since I looked at it so recently I followed a link to a scene, probably posted on ERA somewhere. In it, the David Mitchell character pissed all over another person's desk as an act of vengeance. I just don't find that relatable. I did find one or two funny scenes from time to time, but every time I tried to relax and enjoy it I'd be slammed against the fact that these people are the worst of humanity, and are putting more effort into it than most of us put into trying to be decent to one another.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
TERFing would be terrible but it seems more like Webb is calling out Mermaids (a trans charity who has gotten grants from the British government and prepared educational materials for its school teachers) for making spurious scientific claims and, Webb feels, fast-tracking children who don't want to conform to traditional gender roles into the heavy interventions of medication and surgery. Mermaids got in trouble for this and now the College of GPs and Tavistock (the NHS gender service) are distancing themselves from them, GIDS (the NHS' "Gender Identity Service") dropped Mermaids from their recommended resources, and the Big Lottery Fund is reconsidering its grant.

Webb is basing his concern off the work of journalist Janice Turner, who could well be wrong. I don't know what she found in Mermaids' materials that was so objectionable/false. But if she is refuted I imagine he'd take a different stance, as he holds no truck for traditional notions of "manliness" and gender roles, as someone who is in fact currently on tour for a book he wrote about how much those ideas suck and had a terrible impact on him, and how all masculinity is toxic, called How Not to Be a Boy. Here is is talking about it:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2521747174717088

Last edited:

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
AK1ow0es4tHm.gif

0hpos8RheGG6.gif

pb30rcXv4tBZ.gif

Along with Only Fools and Horses its my favourite British show, possibly my favourite ever.

The wedding episode and the Nether Zone are the best episodes.

Last edited:

Ploppee

Nov 28, 2018
Along with Only Fools and Horses its my favourite British show, possibly my favourite ever.

The wedding episode and the Nether Zone are the best episodes.

The Nether Zone episode is so damn good. Posting the pizza through the letterbox had me in stitches.
When Mark has to drive Sophie to the hospital is a personal favourite. "You're driving like a dick!"

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
TERFing would be terrible but it seems more like Webb is calling out Mermaids (a trans charity who has gotten grants from the British government and prepared educational materials for its school teachers) for making spurious scientific claims and, Webb feels, fast-tracking children who don't want to conform to traditional gender roles into the heavy interventions of medication and surgery. Mermaids got in trouble for this and now the College of GPs and Tavistock (the NHS gender service) are distancing themselves from them, GIDS (the NHS' "Gender Identity Service") dropped Mermaids from their recommended resources, and the Big Lottery Fund is reconsidering its grant.

Webb is basing his concern off the work of journalist Janice Turner, who could well be wrong. I don't know what she found in Mermaids' materials that was so objectionable/false. But if she is refuted I imagine he'd take a different stance, as he holds no truck for traditional notions of "manliness" and gender roles, as someone who is in fact currently on tour for a book he wrote about how much those ideas suck and had a terrible impact on him, and how all masculinity is toxic, called How Not to Be a Boy. Here is is talking about it:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2521747174717088

He seems to reject the concept of trans children on the basis that he believes Gender isn't something that should matter or be acknowledged.

Which is a well meaning argument but irrelevant when those children feel the same way. In addition he is ignoring a lot of proven science on gender dysphoria on the basis that he personally doesn't feel like it is a thing. It's like denying global warming cus it's cold outside.

Like I don't view my masculinity as a defining part of my identity but I still like to think of myself as a man. Liekwise I wouldn't tell someone else that veiweing themselves as a man is wrong.

Certainly at least, he shouldn't be supporting Graham Lineham who makes up and spreads actual BS.

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
They'd jumped the shark by the dog episode.

Some amazing moments before it though, some of the best tv ever

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
My favourite English sitcom for sure (closely followed by I'm Alan Partridge).

I prefer the subtle observations and relatable jokes about the mundanity of life to the set pieces like the dog/canal, which are too far fetched.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"You are paying for that snake to be dry-cleaned"

Mar 29, 2018
Unbelievable show.

It honestly is nowhere near hitting its stride, OP. You're in for such a treat around the mid-show part.

I so hope they'll do another season some day...
Yeah, not gonna lie I think it actually has one of the weakest final episodes of any show I've watched. It doesn't feel like a final episode, just like a mid-season episode. They probably had grander plans they moved on from.

A proper finale "special episode", set like 10 years later, would be amazing.

Oh really?

Fuck

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
OP, thank you for letting me know the show moved to Hulu. I had been in the middle of a rewatch on Amazon Prime and then one day it was just not available anymore and I was pretty salty.

I personally thought the dog episode was a bit too much and the show falls off after that, but the first few seasons are really special.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, man. If you just finished one season, you have so much incredible shit coming your way. Project Zeus. Tube up the nose. Dobs. The wedding. The Quantocks. The twins.

"There's no name for this situation, it's so unusual!"

"You want to...trick the boiler?"

Last edited:

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, man. If you just finished one season, you have so much incredible shit coming your way. Project Zeus. Tube up the nose. Dobs. The wedding. The Quantocks. The twins.

"There's no name for this situation, it's so unusual!"

"You want to...trick the boiler?"
"I thought I'd call to say Hi... but I guess I'll say bye."

gutterboy44

Oct 27, 2017
NY
Easily my all time favorite show. My wife and I watch the entire series about once a year. We reference the show all the time. You are in for a real treat if you are only one season in. I still find new jokes or absurdities several views in.

Winstano

Editor-in-chief at nextgenbase.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
"Jeremy's happiness rests in my hands.... And I've got a tiramisu! This is fucking amazing!"

OP
OP
DorkLord54

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
The characters get Flanderised pretty rapidly after the first 2 or 3 seasons. Those early ones are absolute gold though.
I'm going to guess flanderized in the sense that they become bigger assholes as the show goes on, which kinda sucks since right now the only reason they really come off as deplorable is because you can hear their inner monologue.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to guess flanderized in the sense that they become bigger assholes as the show goes on, which kinda sucks since right now the only reason they really come off as deplorable is because you can hear their inner monologue.
They become parodies of themselves. In S1-3, they're somewhat relateable, and their escapades are somewhat believable. Like you could imagine meeting someone who had at least one of these things happen to them. The later seasons are just off the rails. It's no longer funny cos it's true, it's funny because it's ridiculous.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, I envy you. One of the best shows ever.

The humour and the cringe is obvious from the jump, but it gets surprisingly heartfelt at times also in later seasons. Basically a perfect show.

Binster

Oct 27, 2017
There are a few extra bits on the Season 1 dvd that people might not have seen, such as Jez's audition for Big Brother...

EDIT : And Jez reading from an Andy McNabb style book for Mark's dad...

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I work with someone who casually mentioned that he was in an early episode of Peep Show. I thought he was bullshitting, but there's a scene where they're talking in front of the TV, and he is on the TV as a reporter. His dialogue isn't audible but he's there. I was impressed.