Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
VR is great. I have a bunch of vr games already but only played a few since I got so into it. I've played Astrobot, Superhot, Wipeout and Creed so far and I like all of them.

I already have Skyrim, Rush of Blood, RE7, GT Sports and a bunch of other game waiting. Gonna get Ace Combat next year for sure.

I wish Sports Champion is ported to psvr, that's also one of my favorite move games.

Duke Togo

Oct 27, 2017
I love it! Even the simplest of games are completely immersive. Tried a flying game called Ultrawings with a flight stick...unreal. And don't even get me started on how awesome beat saber is...

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, maybe the first time I have said Whoa in a long time. And that was just being in the beat saver title screen lol. Played a few levels of beat saber and a level of Astro bot demo. My god. This is awesome.

Welcome all the new VR owners. Make sure you all get Wipeout while it's on sale. For $5 it's a steal.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm buying games left and right. 😐 This reminds me of the ps1 days. Various prices and pedigrees. One is barely playable and the next takes your breath away.

Pixel rip... Seems like it would be okay but im getting severe tracking issues with it. :/ Unplayable, really. Might be just my setup? Idk. Shame about refunds.

I tried resident evil for about 2 hours earlier. Amazing. I was dumb to sleep on this. I have never played the game and it's amazing in its own right. As s vr game, it's astounding. I never get scared of movies or games :< but this got me a couple times.

So im playing farpoint instead and its really fun. its a lot of action, but it's comfortable to play and about 1/10th as intense as resident evil. I got the idea that it was only good with the aim, but im playing with the ds4 and it handles pretty nicely!

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I'm buying games left and right. 😐 This reminds me of the ps1 days. Various prices and pedigrees. One is barely playable and the next takes your breath away.

PSVR has alot of parallels to PS1 I think. It also has a very "Sony" feel to it all if that makes sense. Playing Wipeout and RE7 is pure bliss and feels like the future. So glad they invested in it. I need to change my menu screen back to the PS1 theme again..

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
Welcome to the new world.
I just bought Rez Infinite and Moss yesterday, so I'm ready to jump back in after a month break. Good thing is, VR blowing your mind once again after a longer break :)

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I don't have a PS4 but Tetris effect, Astro Bot and the upcoming Dreams make me think about buying one for VR from time to time.

I hope that the PS5 with PSVR 2 will be functional with those titles. After playing on the Vive at a friend's place regularly I just can't see myself dropping 400+ bucks on an inferior hardware package, even if the games are fantastic.

That said, enjoy your PSVR OP. It's fantastic and VR will only get better from here on out!

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
This topic couldn't have come to a better time as I was just trying out the PSVR of a friend yesterday which was my first time trying VR and wow. We only had AstroBot as the rest was still downloading and I only played three levels but WOW! I don't have time to write a comprehensive post but I want to say even just that bit blew my mind. I couldn't fully appreciate it with all the turn-taking and the room being noisy as we all laughed and did silly things to whoever had the VR headset on.

I'll say for me the experience was quite blurry, much more than I expected, the PS4 OS was blurry and looking at the "controller" inside Astro Bot it was really blurry, later on I found a headset-position that made it better but the best thing? I didn't even care! Once I was 5 minutes in AstroBot even with the screen-door effect and the blurriness I was really "in" the game that I stopped caring. The bot was so freaking adorable that I smiled all over the place and wanted to cuddle it all the time. I even had two instances where my brain thought "why aren't my hands there?" when I looked at the virtual DS4 as my brain subconsciously forgot I was in VR. I also experienced no nausea or anything else despite me usually getting immediately getting car-sick whenever I look at a screen in a bus or car. The only thing I felt, one time when I was in that sky-high early level and stood up to check behind a wall I had a case of vertigo but that was it.

Ultimately I really really want my own PSVR now, especially with TrinusVR for PC usage but there are too many buts, I have a phone to buy because my mum's broke and she has enough issues on her hands at the moment so I'll stem the cost for it and as amazing as it is I fear with this late in the PSVR's life and the uncertainty about PS5 compatibility I don't want to invest 200€ on something that could be obsolete soon :/

Electro

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vienna
I don't have a PS4 but Tetris effect, Astro Bot and the upcoming Dreams make me think about buying one for VR from time to time.

I hope that the PS5 with PSVR 2 will be functional with those titles. After playing on the Vive at a friend's place regularly I just can't see myself dropping 400+ bucks on an inferior hardware package, even if the games are fantastic.

That said, enjoy your PSVR OP. It's fantastic and VR will only get better from here on out!

400+ bucks ?

We don't have 2016 anymore.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Is there any way to know which games are bad in VR with a non-Pro PS4?

Are the demos generally accurate for performance or are full games patched so they run much better?

I have no intentions of getting a PS Pro, just avoiding any software that needs it.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'm sure PS5 will have VR2.0 in mind... and it's going to be amazing.

With the low price of PS VR and bundles at the moment, I'd recommend it to any PS-owner itching for something experimental.

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Bought PSVR last month for Astrobot and GT Sport. I'm so glad my experience mirrors the glowing reviews and impressions online. Still mulling over buying an Aim controller (with Firewall Zero Hour), and i suspect I'll cave in once Blood and Truth releases. Really looking forward to that one.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Gonna wait a couple of decades before I jump in personally. Let it grow into SAO tier stuff first
I highly doubt you'll avoid it for that long. Either it will be too compelling for you to resist, and/or everyone you know has it, just like everyone has a smartphone today.

There's really no point in waiting for SAO as there's no guarantee it will happen in our lifetimes. I wouldn't be expecting anything at that level for at least 40 years.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
It's impossible to find the move twin pack in stock or at RRP. Amazon has them but for an extra £20 and there's people trying to sell shitty qualified ones for £90-£100.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is there any way to know which games are bad in VR with a non-Pro PS4?

Are the demos generally accurate for performance or are full games patched so they run much better?

I have no intentions of getting a PS Pro, just avoiding any software that needs it.

The only one I've heard that plays like shit on regular PS4 and fine on a Pro Arizona Sunshine.

Which is a shame because it's one of my favorites. I wish everyone could try it.

It's impossible to find the move twin pack in stock or at RRP. Amazon has them but for an extra £20 and there's people trying to sell shitty qualified ones for £90-£100.

This is why when anyone asks which bundle to get, I tell them to go for the one with discounted moves. No question.

Nov 30, 2017

Who would have thought these things would end up so valuable all these years later. I bought a pair in the PS3 days but didn't use them. They felt like an answer to Wii and kinect. Despite the good 1 to 1 tracking I never had a use.

PSVR comes out and boom. FWIW my dog chewed one up and I bought a used one from Gamestop. Still use it today and battery life is great which was my biggest concern. Looked it up and if you ever had to replace one it's only 2 screws and 5 minutes and it's back to new.

Unfortunately they are essential to the experience as there are lots of games you cant play without them.

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018

I guess you aren't in the market for a Switch then if graphics matter so much over gameplay. The headset itself isn't that inferior actually. It may have a lower resolution but it has a higher refresh rate, better lenses, and less screen door as each pixel has three sub pixels.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I guess you aren't in the market for a Switch then if graphics matter so much over gameplay. The headset itself isn't that inferior actually. It may have a lower resolution but it has a higher refresh rate, better lenses, and less screen door as each pixel has three sub pixels.

Yeah, I tried my friend's Oculus after only ever using PSVR on my Pro and it didn't seem like that much of a graphical improvement to be honest.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

I own a Switch and an xone s alongside a gaming pc (that will need an upgrade in 2019).

I'm not saying a PSVR is unplayable at all. But having played a vive with supersampling and PSVR a few times, the iq (which matters more to me in VR than on a flat screen) is considerably worse for me and on top I wouldn't want to miss the Vive controllers compared to the Move controllers on ps4.

If I already had a PS4, PSVR would still be a no brainer for me, the games are fantastic. But since I don't own one, investing in a PS4+PSVR this late in it's live cycle doesn't appeal to me that much (most of the time).

I didn't want to start the vr equivalent of a console war argument with my comment, PSVR is great for what it is!

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
I picked up the Borderlands/Beat Saber bundle last week. I love Beat Saber. I've picked up Job Simulator, Superhot, Astro Bot, Tetris Effect, Farpoint, the other shooting game that comes with the aim controller and a few others. I've not played any of them besides Beat Saber. Whenever I put on the vr, it's all I want to play.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
But having played a vive with supersampling and PSVR a few times, the iq (which matters more to me in VR than on a flat screen) is considerably worse for me
Which games, and was it base or Pro PS4? IQ on VR games varies perhaps even more than on flat-screens, and the amount of supersampling you get will usually be a fair bit higher on the Pro. The best PSVR games(in terms of IQ) push SS to what I'd quantify as "headset optimal" (somewhere in the range of 4k supersampled to headset resolution), which compares favorably to doing the same on Vive.
Obviously though - there are also games that fare much worse - particularly early PC ports on Unreal Engine.

ClarkusDarkus

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome good chap, VR already makes flat TV gaming feel ancient in comparison, Look at RE7,Wipeout,Skyrim,Horus Station, Borderlands 2, Tetris.... All a much better experience in VR than their TV counterparts.

This is first gen VR, We'll really flex our VR muscles next gen when we have more power and better motion controls.

OP, Co-op a game with a friend in Farpoint/Horus Station/Killing floor...... It adds a whole new level of immersion seeing you're buddy up close in person.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Which games, and was it base or Pro PS4? IQ on VR games varies perhaps even more than on flat-screens, and the amount of supersampling you get will usually be a fair bit higher on the Pro. The best PSVR games(in terms of IQ) push SS to what I'd quantify as "headset optimal" (somewhere in the range of 4k supersampled to headset resolution), which compares favorably to doing the same on Vive.
Obviously though - there are also games that fare much worse - particularly early PC ports on Unreal Engine.

The two times I can recall best have been that Final Fantasy fishing game which struck me as quite bad from a iq perspective. Move controller tracking was also sub par then. Last time was Zone of the Enders VR which looked considerably better but was also a PS2 port.
I think I tried that launch Mini game collection about a year ago.

Couldn't tell you for sure if it was Pro or Slim, but at least in the first two cases is was most certainly Pro hardware.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Argos had the twin pack discounted if you bought with a PSVR, despite them having no stock in store or online. I even tried to buy the combo online hoping they would back order the moves.

I hated my PS Move when I bought it back in the day and gave it away to a friend when he got his Move two years ago! Lol. Whoops! Plenty to play for now and the prices will dip again I'm sure.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
The two times I can recall best have been that Final Fantasy fishing game which struck me as quite bad from a iq perspective. Move controller tracking was also sub par then. Last time was Zone of the Enders VR which looked considerably better but was also a PS2 port.
ZoE was sadly a pretty poor port overall, IQ is worse than it should have been given its PS2 assets, but it's also just bad VR all-round.
I've never tried FFXV myself but I also heard less than favorable impressions before, wouldn't surprise me if IQ was subpar given how it was made. As far as Move tracking goes, 60fps games are not great - works for shooters/action but not great for precise interactions (60hz tracking latency hurts accuracy without game implementing special measures to decrease it, which is still quite rare).

For what's worth - the likes of Astro Bot make some of those other games look bad in comparison, the difference can be pretty stark. And second wave has been seeing increasing number of 90/120fps games (especially on PS4Pro) that make Move tracking actually good (you can't remove occlusion problems, but precision and stability is there).

Oct 28, 2017
Started playing Moss. It's really good! I always like it when games make the player a character in or overseeing the world. VR is capable of doing this really well.

This makes me have a request for Sony. You wanna give Tearaway another chance? VR is how you do it. PS4 couldn't replicate what the Vita could and the PS4 version was really missing something. Tearaway VR could be something special.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I'm playing with the black silicone light shroud off. I took it off because it was time to wash it. It's interesting.

You should try it. You'll want the roomb to be dim, of course. Not having the blinder dings the emersion somewhat, but there's a payoff in comfort that i think might be worth it for at least some games. Plus you can be more aware of someone you are with, especially by taking the headphones out and using you normal sound system.

There's nothing touching my face, for starters. I can see just as much in-game, but in my peripheal, i can see my couch, another person there, whatever. This is grounding me and making alot of motions more comfortable. I'm playing re7 and i have turned the blinder effect off, and I'm finding rapid movement and panning is way more comfortable. So even if im taking away a little immersive effect from removing the silicon shroud, I'm gaining some back by being more comfortable and free to play the game.

I'm going to keep trying like this. It's a fuss to take on and off, but seems like it would be good to have off sometimes.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
ZoE was sadly a pretty poor port overall, IQ is worse than it should have been given its PS2 assets, but it's also just bad VR all-round.
I've never tried FFXV myself but I also heard less than favorable impressions before, wouldn't surprise me if IQ was subpar given how it was made. As far as Move tracking goes, 60fps games are not great - works for shooters/action but not great for precise interactions (60hz tracking latency hurts accuracy without game implementing special measures to decrease it, which is still quite rare).

For what's worth - the likes of Astro Bot make some of those other games look bad in comparison, the difference can be pretty stark. And second wave has been seeing increasing number of 90/120fps games (especially on PS4Pro) that make Move tracking actually good (you can't remove occlusion problems, but precision and stability is there).

Yep, I figured that those were not the PSVR posterchilds - and now stop selling me on PSVR :P
I don't have the time to play everything I'd like as is, with another console I could see that becoming even more!

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
For newcomers I highly recommend Ultrawings, which is a relaxed flying game (best you'll get before ace combat comes out) and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, which is a great asymmetrical. multiplayer game where you work with someone watching the screen to defuse bombs! I'm surprised that type of MP hasn't taken off for VR, to be honest, as it's fun and something VR can do pretty well.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
For newcomers I highly recommend Ultrawings*, which is a relaxed flying game (best you'll get before ace combat comes out) and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, which is a great asymmetrical. multiplayer game where you work with someone watching the screen to defuse bombs! I'm surprised that type of MP hasn't taken off for VR, to be honest, as it's fun and something VR can do pretty well.

* if you are not prone to motion sickness, otherwise get your VR legs first

Oct 28, 2017
I like how the mouse in Moss will try to give you hints to the puzzle with his body launguage. This is a pretty clever puzzle game all round.

Oct 28, 2017
Astro Bot blew me away as well. I've gone from completely disinterested in VR to assembling a list of like fifteen other titles I need to play. Incredible game.
Indeed. I went from not giving a shit about VR to being that annoying guy shilling it any chance he gets. VR is the future of gaming. I now support it the way I supported Vita.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Just happy to hear of more VR first timers. It's the only thing that gets me really excited in gaming these days.

Deleted member 13855

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Bought a PSVR on Black Friday, already have 15 games in my VR folder on PS4, I want to try out every single game.

Deleted member 50949

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
I tried PSVR Superhot at a friend's house and it's absolutely amazing. Was gonna get one myself but I don't have good space for the system. Would like to try Astrobot and RE7 VR in the future

Oct 27, 2017
Henderson, NV
Dirt Rally VR is criminally overlooked. Wipeout is an excellent racer but Dirt Rally was the first VR Game to leave me speechless. RE7 came next, bit that Dirt Rally? If you've got your VR legs? Incredible.

Ogni-XR21

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Dirt Rally VR is criminally overlooked. Wipeout is an excellent racer but Dirt Rally was the first VR Game to leave me speechless. RE7 came next, bit that Dirt Rally? If you've got your VR legs? Incredible.

One of the most intense VR experiences was going to bumper view in Dirt Rally with the option disabled that smooths out bumps in the road.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
Damn playing Driveclub again, and its sad that they couldn't get a Pro patch. As far as a full VR package Driveclub is the best VR racer by far.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I bought and played some SUPER.HOT VR which is really damn awesome, I spent way too long on the first bunch of the first levels because the throwing mechanic is really finnicky and awkward, that level in which you have a bunch of ashtrays and cups with one dude shooting at you and two dudes coming at you from the side, VR isn't accurate enough to quickly grab and throw something in to the distance accurately. Also dodging bullets is weird because your VR head is most likely bigger than what it looks like from your perspective, it looks like you Neo Matrix dodge the bullets but you still get hit in the head or shoulder or something.

Also for some reason the motion tracking of the move decided to stop working properly after a while and it started twitcing and drifing like crazy making it unplayable all of the sudden.

I managed to find one online for 80 bucks but yeah, they were really hard to find which is really odd for something so essential for VR headsets.

RagdollRhino

Banned
Oct 10, 2018
I bought and played some SUPER.HOT VR which is really damn awesome, I spent way too long on the first bunch of the first levels because the throwing mechanic is really finnicky and awkward, that level in which you have a bunch of ashtrays and cups with one dude shooting at you and two dudes coming at you from the side, VR isn't accurate enough to quickly grab and throw something in to the distance accurately. Also dodging bullets is weird because your VR head is most likely bigger than what it looks like from your perspective, it looks like you Neo Matrix dodge the bullets but you still get hit in the head or shoulder or something.

Also for some reason the motion tracking of the move decided to stop working properly after a while and it started twitcing and drifing like crazy making it unplayable all of the sudden.

I managed to find one online for 80 bucks but yeah, they were really hard to find which is really odd for something so essential for VR headsets.

The best way I've found the throw objects is to "push" them toward your enemies and release. Don't throw it like you would normally. I started out terrible at it.

Also, placing the camera high with a downward angle really helps.