• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I'm not suggesting that it needs to be spelled out. I am suggesting that there is something odd that not a single character in any of the deliberations calls it rape.
I don't. It was 2011. Totally realistic for no one to want to acknowledge that in the scenario, the man is being raped. Even today, in this very thread, with all the social awareness and growth we have seen in the past years, people are denying that it can be rape.

Dec 18, 2017
I don't. It was 2011. Totally realistic for no one to want to acknowledge that in the scenario, the man is being raped. Even today, in this very thread, with all the social awareness and growth we have seen in the past years, people are denying that it can be rape.

I think it is likelier that Brooker effed this one up.

Nov 1, 2017
The whole episode is a satire of how far politicians will bend to the whims of public opinion. It's not necessarily aiming for realism.

Although I think the turn is much more convincing than it has any right to be.

Gaga Dead Aunt

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can what Krejlook is doing to the word rape be considered rape under his own definition?
tumblr_pa2v7ozhwq1xw7h9io1_250.gif

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Secret society initiations are something else. When my great-grandfather joined Skull and Bones he was raped by a pie in front of the members. It led to a lot of opportunities he wouldn't have otherwise had though, I don't think he ever regretted it.

Deleted member 20892

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pig and man both were raped
Man raped pig
Pig did not rape man
Man was forced into sexual relations with the pig, rape by pig

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Pig and man both were raped
Man raped pig
Pig did not rape man
Man was forced into sexual relations with the pig, rape by pig

It'd be more accurate to say he was raped by the terrorists, or by society. The pig was not in any involved with coercing the politician to fuck itself.

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you are not in position to be agressive here. Because of your bad wording everyone assumed that you thinking bullshit (that he was raped by pig) - yet YOU being arrogant and rude, and acting like its not your fault, wtf?

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, White Bear was the worst and least plausible episode of Black Mirror. Completely forgettable horror schlock.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
Surely the pm was raped with a pig and not by a pig as the op states 4 times in the first 27 posts. Before going on to accuse others of not getting it...

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
My wife and I could not believe this episode when we watched it.

That said I thought the premise was nonsense - of course you'd decline, and if the woman dies the blame is squarely, and always would be, on the person who kidnapped and killed her.

ascii

Jan 5, 2018
Great episode.

I think once you understand the 'stiff upper lip' / 'keep calm and carry on' attitude the British people expect the PM to personify, it's plain why he has to do it and why no one ever talks to him about what he is going to do. Of course no one is going to point out the mental distress this will cause him, and obviously no one is going to talk about rape - there's a job to be done here! Stiff upper lip! Queen and country! It's also logical that he bottles it up until breaking point - how utterly British!

Sadly, I think that the public reaction to a scenario like this is more realistic than you think.

Oct 27, 2017
Secret society initiations are something else. When my great-grandfather joined Skull and Bones he was raped by a pie in front of the members. It led to a lot of opportunities he wouldn't have otherwise had though, I don't think he ever regretted it.

Raped by a pie ? Hoping that's a typo !

If nothing else , that episode provokes discussion as seen in this thread. Surely that was the point.

Majora85

Nov 21, 2017

Honestly, this is all that needs to be said. The OP and some of the responses in the thread are downright painful for how literally they're taking the episode. I'm going to have to put it down to a dark British humour culture difference.

It is interesting that this episode and Ten Million Merits leaned quite heavily on the absurd/dark humour side of the spectrum but the rest of Black Mirror's run is actually far more reminiscent of The Entire History of You, which took itself more seriously and was more plausible compared to the exaggerated, almost cartoon-esque absurdity of the first two episodes. It's even more interesting when you consider that The Entire History of You wasn't written by Brooker at all, and yet contains far more of the series' future DNA than the first two episodes he wrote.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Honestly, this is all that needs to be said. The OP and some of the responses in the thread are downright painful for how literally they're taking the episode. I'm going to have to put it down to a dark British humour culture difference.

It is interesting that this episode and Ten Million Merits leaned quite heavily on the absurd/dark humour side of the spectrum but the rest of Black Mirror's run is actually far more reminiscent of The Entire History of You, which took itself more seriously and was more plausible compared to the exaggerated, almost cartoon-esque absurdity of the first two episodes. It's even more interesting when you consider that The Entire History of You wasn't written by Brooker at all, and yet contains far more of the series' future DNA than the first two episodes he wrote.

I've only seen season one so far. When I read the wiki for that season, I learnt that the 2nd episode was co-written by Konnie Huq who Brooker is married to, which blew my mind. I grew up watching her on Blue Peter!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
My wife and I could not believe this episode when we watched it.

That said I thought the premise was nonsense - of course you'd decline, and if the woman dies the blame is squarely, and always would be, on the person who kidnapped and killed her.

Depends on the person, but i wouldn't decline if it was to save a life, even someone i don't know, putting my dick in a pig is a low price to pay for that!

Yeah you could tell yourself i'm one of those "internet hero" who claim they would lunge at a terrorist and be badass, but no, i'm not courageous, i would run like a coward! But fucking a pig? Bring it on

ascii

Jan 5, 2018
I've only seen season one so far. When I read the wiki for that season, I learnt that the 2nd episode was co-written by Konnie Huq who Brooker is married to, which blew my mind. I grew up watching her on Blue Peter!

Konnie Huq?! That really is mind-blowing!

You should watch all the seasons, it's generally high quality (with a few dips) and some of the episodes are incredible.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
what a weird first page, i felt uncomfortable reading it.

not as uncomfortable as when watching this episode though, good lord was it painful.. i rarely cringe so hard and for so long. props to the show, they really got me.

next up for me is White Christmas, apparently a stellar episode? hopefully no beastiality though!!

Deleted member 11093

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is such a shitshow, if the episode had a female politician mating with a pig most of the people claiming the PM wasn't raped in this thread would immediately claim that she was raped.

Oct 27, 2017
@Krejlooc

There is a misunderstanding of the legal definition of rape in this thread.

Rape in the UK is defined as 'penile penetration' so only something that has been penetrated by a penis has been raped. Therefore, only something with a penis can commit rape against someone else - so only men can commit rape.

In the context of this Black Mirror episode the Prime Minister was not raped as he was not penetrated by the Pig.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is such a shitshow, if the episode had a female politician mating with a pig most of the people claiming the PM wasn't raped in this thread would immediately claim that she was raped.

Legally speaking, the circumstance you have described would undoubtedly constitute rape in the UK. There would clearly be the necessary penile penetration, and in no way could the PM be seen to have consented to the act as there was a threat of violence overhanging the situation (against both the PM if the act was not committed and against the Princess).

Even though the individual who arranged the entire ordeal would not have been present he could still be convicted of rape in this circumstance as he was an accomplice to the act (coincidentally, this is the only way that women can 'commit' rape as in the UK if you are an accomplice you can be convicted of the same crime as the actual perpetrator).

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unrealistic? If you think Blair or Major wouldn't have done the same to save Princess Diana's life, you're crazy.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

He was forced to have sex, so he was raped. However he wasn't forced by the pig.
The pig was also forced to have sex, so it was raped too.

That is what most people are saying, but what OP seems to be missing.

If a criminal would tie up a woman and force a guy to have sex with her with a gun on his head...would you say the guy was raped by the girl?

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
I just want to pop on and say this thread has provided so much enjoyment for me. Amazing on so many levels, better than the episode in question. I hope someone archives it.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem with the scenario present in the show is that it's super selective about what it reflects of society, to an unrealistic sense. "It's satire," but it's shitty satire. Because the message is supposed to be a reflection of the voyeuristic nature of society, ignoring how our society is puritanical at heart. It's why we can show ultra violence on TV, but rarely will show actual nudity or sexual content. What this episode is saying is that society is sick and will go to extremes to satiate the voyeur, the way our actual society works is not at all like that. There are actually conflicting themes of society and how we operate that makes this all so unrealistic. In order to take this as a message about society, you have to ignore other, equally as relevant messages about society.

This was made for UK media - not for the prude US. Guess what? We have tits on TV almost every hour on many channels in Germany.

I watched the first ep and haven't continued to watch another. Shit's too crazy for me.

Please watch another episode of season 3 so you can see that this show is good.

Oct 27, 2017
He was forced to have sex, so he was raped. However he wasn't forced by the pig.
The pig was also forced to have sex, so it was raped too.

That is what most people are saying, but what OP seems to be missing.

If a criminal would tie up a woman and force a guy to have sex with her with a gun on his head...would you say the guy was raped by the girl?

No because a woman cannot commit rape. See my previous comments for more info.

In order to be raped you must be penetrated by a penis. An unwilling rapist forced to commit this act would not have been raped as he would not have been penetrated.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No because a woman cannot commit rape. See my previous comments for more info.

In order to be raped you must be penetrated by a penis. An unwilling rapist forced to commit this act would not have been raped as he would not have been penetrated.

I am not talking about the technical british judicial meaning of rape. I am talking about rape as it is used in the US. Op claims the guy was raped by the pig, but how can an unwilling, unconsenting passive participant be a rapist?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Do you just not understand what satire is?

I came to say this. Satire involves exaggeration, usually to the point of blatant parody. It's a bit odd to see people arguing over whether or not this episode was realistic.

Few of the other episodes can be described as realistic, either, in my opinion. But this particular episode is a straightforward satire.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Can't believe the logic patrol are going to ruin Black Mirror for me too.

Fucking the Pig isn't the spectre of the episode. It's how publicity can be weaponized to make even the highest people in power comply.

It doesn't matter that Pig Fucking is ridiculous because the ridiculousness is that people can be manipulated through the pressure of the public and the media.

It's Smash Mouth eat the eggs but twisted into something more perverse.

Oct 27, 2017
I am not talking about the technical british judicial meaning of rape. I am talking about rape as it is used in the US. Op claims the guy was raped by the pig, but how can an unwilling, unconsenting passive participant be a rapist?

Why are we concerned with how the US would see it? The episode takes place in the UK so the UK interpretation is applicable.

I'm a UK solicitor so can only comment on UK interpretation of these things. In the UK, a rapist would be committing rape regardless of their mental intention or feelings as to the act - somebody with a gun to his head and forced to rape somebody would still be committing rape (although practically speaking the individual with the gun would be the one charged with Rape under the secondary liability rules).

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Episode is trash. Among the plethora of reasons its not believable is how did this one random guy outsmart the authorities. He was just some random craftsmen or something?
The whole series, and most of what's on TV and in theaters is incredibly not believable. You have to have some suspension of belief for these shows to work. I think maybe one or two of all the Black Mirror episodes are kind of believable. Even then, not really.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why are we concerned with how the US would see it? The episode takes place in the UK so the UK interpretation is applicable.

I'm a UK solicitor so can only comment on UK interpretation of these things. In the UK, a rapist would be committing rape regardless of their mental intention or feelings as to the act - somebody with a gun to his head and forced to rape somebody would still be committing rape (although practically speaking the individual with the gun would be the one charged with Rape under the secondary liability rules).

Because I am replying to the OP....who says the guy is raped by a pig. So now we have established that in the UK this would never be rape, because he is a guy and does not get penetrated.
However OP was talking about how he is sick of people saying that guys cannot be raped. So he is CLEARLY not talking about the British judicial meaning of rape.
So if the definition of rape is being forced to have sex, then yes, the guy in BM was raped.
However how can the pig be the rapist? That was my question to the OP.

Edit: Oh and the British definition of rape is fucking outdated too, I might add. If anyone was to use a strapon or a fucking broomstick, it would still not be rape.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Why are you bringing that image to my mind? :( I felt scarred then, and it's all coming back to me again now.

Status
Not open for further replies.