• Gooigi

Votes: 149 18.0%
  • Polterpup

Votes: 425 51.2%

• Total voters

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't have asked for a better Halloween game. Can't wait to get home and play some more.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how good is this game co-op? I'm thinking of inviting a friend over for it, but I'm not sure if I'd rather just play through solo lol

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Started the game this evening. First impressions:
  • I appreciate the high-effort intro cinematic.
  • Money everywhere!
  • The Virtual Boo marketing joke was hilarious.
  • Speaking of the Virtual Boo, I forgot the Luigi's Mansion games have communication devices based on Nintendo systems. Made me smile when I was reminded.
  • I like how the game rewards observation. Collecting money and Gems is fun because of this.
  • Vacuuming ghosts doesn't feel nearly as satisfying as it did on the GameCube, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Had PTSD when E Gadd told me to come back to the lab.

Thankfully it didn't pop up with a results screen and take me out of the level, phew.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Something very useful to know: Strobulb is mapped to R as well as A, which means it's actually possible to move the R-stick while charging the flash.

I found myself craving a button mapping like that as soon as I faced my first ghosts, and I'm glad to see that one is already baked in.

You should check out the GamesExplain video posted, you can actually use all the controls with the shoulder buttons.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vacuuming ghosts doesn't feel nearly as satisfying as it did on the GameCube, unfortunately.

Yeah the slam move just ruins it as it's no longer a tug of war but just suck the ghost, mash the A button and then rise and repeat. Plus the fact that it can hurt the other ghost means it make the combat a bit too easy as you can bypass the whole stunning process.

Plus I keep accidentally flashing the light after it's done so I also end up stunning ghost when I don't mean to.

It should have been an optional feature rather than a core combat mechanic as I just feel cheated out when the number goes to 0 and the ghost just pops rather than being sucked into the hover with a pop noise. It just leaves me feeling unsatisfied.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
You can still tug, and in some cases it's even better to tug than to slam. Boss ghosts immediately end their damage phase when your slam runs out, so it's best to keep tugging for as long as possible before slamming.

meataem

Teyvat Traveler
Jun 29, 2019
Purposely ignoring the vacuum slam unless I'm forced to use it to defeat a ghost makes the ghost encounters feel more satisfying y'all should do the same.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I literally just read it in this thread? Unless I didn't understand what I was reading.
Or people simply need their eyes checked. Here, stolen from the other thread:

EIOs5G1X0AcIfwO

This is a *portable* mode screenshot.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Played for about five hours today. Completed 8F. My midway impressions:

1. I genuinely find the bosses difficult. The last three bosses took me an embarrassingly long time as I struggled to figure out how to deal damage to it. Some extra details in spoilers. For the king, I kept trying to disarm him and remove his shield somehow. I died trying to do this. On the second try, I realized you could stun him after his lance attack with the flashlight. But I thought the window wasn't until after his attack swung and missed, so I repeatedly got hit trying to be just the right distance away to retaliate with a flash. Then I discovered I could stun him any time in the attack animation. It was easy after that.

For the gardener, I still don't understand how to properly bait the plant. That fight took me almost 25 minutes. You're supposed to make the plant latch on to the gourd plants and then cut it with the motor saw. But the plant would just break the gourds every single time. I tried to bait with Gooigi and all kinds of tricks but I never determined how to make it actually latch. It just finally happened three times and I won. I don't understand what I should have done differently and it was very frustrating.

For the Kaiju fight, you're supposed to send back an energy ball the monster forms and hit them with it. The first time you just use the blow function and push it towards it. After that, though, the boss will activate its own blow move to push the orb away from it at the last second every single time. Since the strobe stunned the boss, I figured I had to land a well-timed flash bulb and then blow the orb back. It took me numerous times to execute this properly and when I finally did the boss just canceled its stun animation to repel the orb like always. I gave up and had to look this up and saw you're supposed to quickly spawn Gooigi, activate blow, switch back to Luigi, then use both your blow functions in tandem. I never would have guessed this.

I enjoy the bosses and I appreciate that they are all actual puzzles that require experimentation. I like that the game will keep feeding you hearts so you can keep experimenting until you figure it out. But I admit I feel very stupid after these last three fights. I'm curious if others are finding the solutions difficult or if I just have brain bugs.

2. Despite the technically separate themed floors, the hotel still feels cohesive and like one spooky magical location. While the floors themselves don't ever interconnect, they still all feel like they take place in the same hotel despite their radically different themes. The themes have also all been really good and really different. Reminded me a bit of Dishonored 2's super unique level design where no two levels are the same.

3. Unsung hero of this game is its soundtrack. So many different songs, with so much variety to them, and they're really great. Lots of fun arrangements too.

4. I appreciate you can still call out for Mario.

5. Default controls are a mess and need remapping options very badly. I've finally gotten used to the controls but I've never played a Nintendo game before where the controls felt unintuitive. I've switched to the settings and tactics in the GX video linked earlier and it definitely helps. But this game would really benefit from remapping because the base controls just do not make sense to my brain. Not for several hours, at least.

6. As has been observed for a long time, the animations in the game are terrific. Next Level are some of the best in the industry at this. I've been a fan since Punch Out!! Wii and they've really outdone themselves with this game. My favorites have been the following animations for characters you don't usually see in motion. What a treat.

7. I really love all the ghost sounds and voices but, strangely, I find myself wishing the portrait ghosts were fully voiced. They obviously have so much character to them and the trademark ghost-speak of the series is leaving me a little underwhelmed. Meeting a new boss is the best part of the game and I think they would have really shined if they spoke coherently.

8. Luigi is such a good character and I love him. It's amazing to think there was ever a time where this wasn't Luigi. He was just... Green Mario.

9. I wish hallways stayed cleared like in the first game. I like coming across unexpected and difficult combat encounters in areas I'm revisiting but I wish it was possible to fully and properly cleanse an area. This was something I really loved about the first game because it helped you track your progress and made the mansion feel like something you were reclaiming. The way the hotel floors reset doesn't achieve that for me.

10. I think the puzzles so far have been terrific. I find them just hard enough to require some thought without stonewalling me in an unpleasant way. My favorite so far has been 8F with the different sets. That was really awesome and satisfying to figure out. The greater emphasis on puzzles is exactly what I hoped would happen and I have yet to be disappointed in this respect.

11. Captain Toad should be in this. Give me the Captain.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can still tug, and in some cases it's even better to tug than to slam. Boss ghosts immediately end their damage phase when your slam runs out, so it's best to keep tugging for as long as possible before slamming.

I have tried that but the ghost just ends up escaping when before they wouldn't unless you let go or got hurt.

They clearly want you to use the slam move. 😕

Or people simply need their eyes checked. Here, stolen from the other thread:

EIOs5G1X0AcIfwO

This is a *portable* mode screenshot.

I wouldn't have spotted the different had you not pointed it out.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not some weird die hard LM1 fan, but I definitely preferred it to Dark Moon. I didn't even finish Dark Moon. I was really concerned about the combat in this, but I'm totally good with the combat in this one, I find it more satisfying than DM. The slam is cool. By the time you get there, most of the tug of war aspect is tired in that encounter anyway.

Reading up on fandoms as of late, while I still really love LM1's ghost hunting, it seems be really overrated these days. There wasn't much more to it than that's in LM3. If anything I'd say LM3's is more exciting.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Game is good. I had the day off, played nearly 9 hours and I think I'm about just over half done. So looks to be nearly 20 hours, substantially longer than the 1st.

Edit: that's with 100%ing everything, my guess is the game is 12 to 14 hours if you blitzed it.

Last edited:

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Played for about five hours today. Completed 8F. My midway impressions:

1. I genuinely find the bosses difficult. The last three bosses took me an embarrassingly long time as I struggled to figure out how to deal damage to it. Some extra details in spoilers. For the king, I kept trying to disarm him and remove his shield somehow. I died trying to do this. On the second try, I realized you could stun him after his lance attack with the flashlight. But I thought the window wasn't until after his attack swung and missed, so I repeatedly got hit trying to be just the right distance away to retaliate with a flash. Then I discovered I could stun him any time in the attack animation. It was easy after that.

For the gardener, I still don't understand how to properly bait the plant. That fight took me almost 25 minutes. You're supposed to make the plant latch on to the gourd plants and then cut it with the motor saw. But the plant would just break the gourds every single time. I tried to bait with Gooigi and all kinds of tricks but I never determined how to make it actually latch. It just finally happened three times and I won. I don't understand what I should have done differently and it was very frustrating.

For the Kaiju fight, you're supposed to send back an energy ball the monster forms and hit them with it. The first time you just use the blow function and push it towards it. After that, though, the boss will activate its own blow move to push the orb away from it at the last second every single time. Since the strobe stunned the boss, I figured I had to land a well-timed flash bulb and then blow the orb back. It took me numerous times to execute this properly and when I finally did the boss just canceled its stun animation to repel the orb like always. I gave up and had to look this up and saw you're supposed to quickly spawn Gooigi, activate blow, switch back to Luigi, then use both your blow functions in tandem. I never would have guessed this.

I enjoy the bosses and I appreciate that they are all actual puzzles that require experimentation. I like that the game will keep feeding you hearts so you can keep experimenting until you figure it out. But I admit I feel very stupid after these last three fights. I'm curious if others are finding the solutions difficult or if I just have brain bugs.

2. Despite the technically separate themed floors, the hotel still feels cohesive and like one spooky magical location. While the floors themselves don't ever interconnect, they still all feel like they take place in the same hotel despite their radically different themes. The themes have also all been really good and really different. Reminded me a bit of Dishonored 2's super unique level design where no two levels are the same.

3. Unsung hero of this game is its soundtrack. So many different songs, with so much variety to them, and they're really great. Lots of fun arrangements too.

4. I appreciate you can still call out for Mario.

5. Default controls are a mess and need remapping options very badly. I've finally gotten used to the controls but I've never played a Nintendo game before where the controls felt unintuitive. I've switched to the settings and tactics in the GX video linked earlier and it definitely helps. But this game would really benefit from remapping because the base controls just do not make sense to my brain. Not for several hours, at least.

6. As has been observed for a long time, the animations in the game are terrific. Next Level are some of the best in the industry at this. I've been a fan since Punch Out!! Wii and they've really outdone themselves with this game. My favorites have been the following animations for characters you don't usually see in motion. What a treat.

7. I really love all the ghost sounds and voices but, strangely, I find myself wishing the portrait ghosts were fully voiced. They obviously have so much character to them and the trademark ghost-speak of the series is leaving me a little underwhelmed. Meeting a new boss is the best part of the game and I think they would have really shined if they spoke coherently.

8. Luigi is such a good character and I love him. It's amazing to think there was ever a time where this wasn't Luigi. He was just... Green Mario.

9. I wish hallways stayed cleared like in the first game. I like coming across unexpected and difficult combat encounters in areas I'm revisiting but I wish it was possible to fully and properly cleanse an area. This was something I really loved about the first game because it helped you track your progress and made the mansion feel like something you were reclaiming. The way the hotel floors reset doesn't achieve that for me.

10. I think the puzzles so far have been terrific. I find them just hard enough to require some thought without stonewalling me in an unpleasant way. My favorite so far has been 8F with the different sets. That was really awesome and satisfying to figure out. The greater emphasis on puzzles is exactly what I hoped would happen and I have yet to be disappointed in this respect.

11. Captain Toad should be in this. Give me the Captain.
Great impressions. I'm still early on - I just cleared the security guard. Game is so charming!

Tiktaalik

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up the last copy at my local Best Buy. Remarkably the clerk there said they only got 30? Lol wut. That seems crazy low.

(this is in a city of ~600k)

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
This truly feels like the best parts of Luigi's Mansion 1 and 2. Stopped at the floor 4 boss and wow that was fantastic. If it keeps up the quality it will highly likely be one of my favorites of the year. So damn charming and polished.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
They animated full lip sync on E. Gadd's gibberish. You crazy fuckers. I absolutely love it. The cut scenes in this game are some of the best in any Nintendo game, so full of personality.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone that's played Scarescraper, does it spoil anything regarding the main game? Wanting to play some tonight, but it would suck if I ran into a major boss or something. I just finished floor 7 in the story (garden floor)

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I got home from work and started reading this thread and ended up buying the game on the eShop 10 min later. Downloading now, looking forward to playing. I know very little about the LM games.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Really having fun with this game, it's very light and charming compared to some of the other stuff I've been playing recently. I do wish there was more of a point to all the money you're collecting - some sort of upgrade system or new moves or anything, really, but overall I'm liking this.

Apr 21, 2018
Ok the HD resolution confirms it, I now have no doubt that Professor E-Gadd is from the same species/related to Olimar from Pikmin.

I just have no doubts now.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Really having fun with this game, it's very light and charming compared to some of the other stuff I've been playing recently. I do wish there was more of a point to all the money you're collecting - some sort of upgrade system or new moves or anything, really, but overall I'm liking this.
Buying Halloween costumes for Luigi would also be nice.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Does anyone know if it ranks you at the end of the game like LM1 based on your money? If money is really just to buy E.Gadd's shit, then yeah it's basically useless. And I've been collecting every bit of it hoping it'll pay off. LM1 instincts kicked in.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone that's played Scarescraper, does it spoil anything regarding the main game? Wanting to play some tonight, but it would suck if I ran into a major boss or something. I just finished floor 7 in the story (garden floor)

Yes and No. The boss fought in Scarescrapper is exclusive to that mode. But it's gameplay style copies a lot from another boss that you haven't fought yet. It's obvious when you meet him what boss he is/will aping though.

It's Boolossus so three guesses which who has a similiar fight pattern

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes and No. The boss fought in Scarescrapper is exclusive to that mode. But it's gameplay style copies a lot from another boss that you haven't fought yet. It's obvious when you meet him what boss he is/will aping though.

It's Boolossus so three guesses which who has a similiar fight pattern

I didn't click your spoiler, but from what I can understand you're basically saying the Scarescraper boss is a story mode boss with a different skin? Thanks for the clarification.

If that's the case I think I'll be fine. We're having a few drinks tonight and I don't wanna waste anymore of the story drinky messy lol. As long as I'm not fighting bosses ripped straight from the story (at least ones I haven't so far), I think I'll be ok.

Sep 14, 2019
I've never played a Luigi's Mansion before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are you supposed to not have access to certain secrets until later on? On the floor
where you're supposed to find E.Gad's suitcase I spotted 3 secrets I couldnt get to: the room behind the vending machine with the invisible ghosts, the gem near the fan that's locked off, and a gem that's in a gargoyles mouth.

I don't want to know how to get them, just if they're attainable when you first go there. Thanks.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't help myself and had to go ahead and start the game (was going to wait for news on an invert-aim patch). HOLY CRAP is this a beautiful game. Can't get over it.

48994111651_65d7a5f0fd_h.jpg

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I've never played a Luigi's Mansion before, so forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are you supposed to not have access to certain secrets until later on? On the floor
where you're supposed to find E.Gad's suitcase I spotted 3 secrets I couldnt get to: the room behind the vending machine with the invisible ghosts, the gem near the fan that's locked off, and a gem that's in a gargoyles mouth.

I don't want to know how to get them, just if they're attainable when you first go there. Thanks.
I don't recall if it's the things you mentioned exactly, but there are things you can't get until after you return the suitcase.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Great game so far, I'm impressed by the variety of the floors. All of the bosses have been great, floor 8s in particular is the highlight for me so far (I'm two floors ahead of that now).

The only part I'm down on is the backtracking you have to do right after finishing floor 8. Not a huge deal but I hope that doesn't become a recurring thing.

Is there a point to getting the Boos? I saw earlier in the thread that there's some kind of bonus for getting all of them and collecting all of the gems but is there any other reason to go after them? I got two and found it really boring. Hopefully there's not a gate at some point where you need to have caught some of them.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
What are the coins for? Do you buy upgrades or something with it? Wondering how carefully I should try to collect all that I find.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I was not expecting the Virtual Boy reference. I haven't really been keeping up with the previews if it was shown off there.

Outtrigger888

Oct 27, 2017
Just left the lab for the first timeand noticed I have the pluger ability. The game didn't give me a tutorial or even mention that I unlocked it. Was this a glitch?

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Game is aces, but it bothers me to an irrational level that max health is 99.

Him being scared all the time drops his total health (or someshit).

What are the coins for? Do you buy upgrades or something with it? Wondering how carefully I should try to collect all that I find.

Coins are almost useless they are buying Continues after death and Gem/Boo locations, doesn't stop the fun of collecting it all but yeah wish there was more.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Only through the first five floors, but if the game keeps up this quality, it could easily place in my top 5 (maybe even top 3).

I really hope this game gets the sales and recognition it deserves. There's really nothing else like it.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow...Scarescraper is really fun. When they were showing previews, the idea of 4 Luigi's kind of annoyed me cause it was just ridiculous and I wished it was other characters. But actually playing it, having 4 Luigi's is hysterical.

I wish there was some sort of incentive to play it though. Like ranking, badges...anything. It's great, but especially considering they're planning on adding paid DLC for it, I don't see what keeps people coming back.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I was in floor three and I had to get the key from one of the ghost and I used the slam move and erm...this glitch happened;

EIQZ9-WW4AANnn3

The fricking key got stuck in the ceiling....yeah I don't think that I will be using the slam attack ever again. 🤣

Also the boss in this game really lacks the charm and character that the human ghost had in the first Luigi mansion, I didn't even know that the first two boss ghost were boss as they didn't look or behave differently from the normal ghosts.