• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for this game! looks like a blend of LM 1 and 2, but with significantly higher fidelity.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
8-12 hours would be the sweet-spot imo, any longer and it'll probably outstay its welcome. I'm more worried to read that different floors are its own thing instead of feeling more like a coherent whole. But I'll reserve judgment until I play it myself.

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, so many questions. In my case as I spend time looking for secrets as a completionist and hoovering every nook, it looks like it's way longer than that.

Also I'd recommend turning Virtual Boo professor clues off right away, as it ruins the challenge and mystery of some puzzles and bosses.

Some of the secrets and puzzles can get really tricky.

Controls you'll need some training no matter your experience with videogames.

Floors, as said, aren't all linear... some benefit from being linear though, like the Castle.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, so many questions. In my case as I spend time looking for secrets as a completionist and hoovering every nook, it looks like it's way longer than that.

Also I'd recommend turning Virtual Boo professor clues off right away, as it ruins the challenge and mystery of some puzzles and bosses.

Floors, as said, aren't all linear... some benefit from being linear though, like the Castle.
Sounds good, hyped

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This was something Andre brought up in e.gadd giving hints, but saying it wasn't too bad and he thought maybe you could turn them off

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I can't wait for this game! I'm ok with each floor of the hotel being contained like individual chapters. I liked the original being able to go anywhere in the mansion but I don't see any issue with the floor levels.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I'm so excited to play this.

Don't understand this whole LM1 floor interplay discussion. Unless they mean that we were able to see some rooms from other rooms. The mansion was very linear save for some optional rooms which only contained money. And, there weren't any interfloor puzzles as far as I can recall.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Yeah the slam move looked pretty broken since E3.
I will try to do a playthrough without using it once (except if it's mandatory against certain enemies of course)

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

15 would be great!

Reading his preciew, it's not so much the scope (as in length) that's a problem, but that some floors show wasted potential and are reminders of Luigi's Mansion 2's mission set-up, a bit lacking in spectacle. Not that the game is short or anything.

Ah I see, that's a shame though. I never played the 3DS game myself though, so I've no idea what to expect in terms of that.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The fact that it is separated into sections makes me happy, easier to play in short doses.

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
The slam move looked kinda stale and repetitive when I was watching videos. Not surprised

CaVaYeRo

Oct 31, 2017
This was something Andre brought up in e.gadd giving hints, but saying it wasn't too bad and he thought maybe you could turn them off

Yeah so imo it is bad (as in, shut up! you just spoiled the solution I was about to come up with!) and turning them off is not a maybe - I can confirm :)

Also there are two control methods and that will create some discussion as well.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

This sounds all great!

Next Level Games are the fucking best when they are making what they want.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
The slam move looked kinda stale and repetitive when I was watching videos. Not surprised
Yeah, it was something that gave me pause the moment I saw it in E3 footage, and it's sounding like it really just takes over combat and makes things too easy. This was the one Switch game I was super hyped for all year, and while I'm sure it will be a good game, I was hoping it would turn out to be more of a 9.5 kind of game, rather than an 8.5

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
From the Nintendo World report

Kind of what I was afraid of.

People disliked the mission structure because it forced people to walk through the same locations over and over.

Not a problem here. Every floor is different. It's not really that different from the first game, which had linear progression for the most part.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People disliked the mission structure because it forced people to walk through the same locations over and over.

Not a problem here. Every floor is different. It's not really that different from the first game, which had linear progression for the most part.

Thanks for clarifying, I never played LM2 so didn't know it was the repetition itself that was disliked. The first game had a fair bit of backtracking though, IIRC. Unlocking keys and the like.

Edit: Post below mine also nails why I'm wrong LOL.

Bring on LM3.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I'm so excited to play this.

Don't understand this whole LM1 floor interplay discussion. Unless they mean that we were able to see some rooms from other rooms. The mansion was very linear save for some optional rooms which only contained money. And, there weren't any interfloor puzzles as far as I can recall.
Yeah, people haven't played Luigi's Mansion 1 since 2002 and it shows.
It was linear, and suuuuuuuper short. Like, 4-5 hours short. You were progressing zone by zone. Zone 1, boss, zone 2, boss, zone 3, boss, zone 4, boss. You can go back to previous zones if you missed some boos, but other than that you don't really go back to it, only for ~two or three mini bosses (like the twins in zone 1 that you beat when you're in... zone 3 I think)
Which is basically what we'll get here, but bigger. And instead of being just a mansion theme, there's a different theme per floor.

Jan 11, 2018
Glad it's sounding more like LM2 than the original. Most hyped game of the year for me, as Dark Moon was a top 3 3DS game for me.

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was linear, and suuuuuuuper short. Like, 4-5 hours short. You were progressing zone by zone. Zone 1, boss, zone 2, boss, zone 3, boss, zone 4, boss. You can go back to previous zones if you missed some boos, but other than that you don't really go back to it, only for ~two bosses (like the twins in zone 1 that you beat when you're in... zone 3 I think)
Which is basically what we'll get here, but bigger. And instead of being just a mansion theme, there's a different theme per floor.

Might as well ask you, is LM1 on the 3DS worth it for someone that hasn't played it since like 2004? $40 seems steep for such a short game.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Might as well ask you, is LM1 on the 3DS worth it for someone that hasn't played it since like 2004? $40 seems steep for such a short game.
40$ is maybe a bit too much yeah...
But it's still a wonderful game imo. Really charming. Just really short. But it is higly replayable if you love it. There's a score system based on the amount of money you've collected (you lose money when you get hit), and in the end Luigi gets a better mansion based on your score.

I saw you didn't play Luigi's Mansion 2 ? This one is longer, around 12-15 hours, and is really really good. I highly recommend this one, and Luigi's Mansion 3 is a direct sequel to 2, Luigi meets his ghost doggy in this game !

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
Just a fair warning. Some of the previews are kinda heavy on VIP guests spoilers until floor 8.

Apr 21, 2018
Sounds good. Kind of confused by the "scope" comment because Luigi's Mansion 3 was never God of War. It was always a smaller and tighter experience.

And honestly, I would be very happy with an 8-12 hour game (although I anticipate it will be around 20). Length of a game doesn't do much for me anymore now that I am an adult. I only beat Astral Chain last week.

Guessing an 85-90MC score.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I am buying it D1 only because I got it at 45€, but since I have just started AI and then I will play Pokémon, LM3 will be my Christmas holiday game basically. However I am really looking forward to it, I loved LM2 and this one won't dissapoint either, I am sure

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
40$ is maybe a bit too much yeah...
But it's still a wonderful game imo. Really charming. Just really short. But it is higly replayable if you love it. There's a score system based on the amount of money you've collected (you lose money when you get hit), and in the end Luigi gets a better mansion based on your score.

I saw you didn't play Luigi's Mansion 2 ? This one is longer, around 12-15 hours, and is really really good. I highly recommend this one, and Luigi's Mansion 3 is a direct sequel to 2, Luigi meets his ghost doggy in this game !

Cheers. In that case I'll buy LM2 for sure, and buy LM1 if it ever goes on sale. But I'll purchase after LM3 to not run the risk of burning out.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I am buying it D1 only because I got it at 45€, but since I have just started AI and then I will play Pokémon, LM3 will be my Christmas holiday game basically. However I am really looking forward to it, I loved LM2 and this one won't dissapoint either, I am sure
Thats my worry so much to play so little time i got it preordered but with many still to play and Pokemon and Death stranding my november time will be slim.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
It was linear, and suuuuuuuper short.

I played it just last year on 3DS and countless times on GCN in the preceding years (as proof, any of our Luigi's Mansion Cool Bits videos basically required a complete playthrough). Yes, Luigi's Mansion is linear in that you unlock each area sequentially, but each individual area feels comparatively open allowing some freedom of exploration, especially once the areas start layering on top of each other, requiring you to revisit past locations.

By comparison, LM3's elevator acts primarily as a glorified level select (fittingly haha), and with most of the floors being corridor focused (naturally, given it's a hotel), there isn't as much room for exploration.

To clarify, this isn't necessarily a bad thing; I'm just trying to better explain the distinction. And this is only based on the first half of the game, so it's possible it opens up more later.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Thats my worry so much to play so little time i got it preordered but with many still to play and Pokemon and Death stranding my november time will be slim.
Yes, in my case I fear it would get sandwitched between AI (that I started yesterday and I doubt I will have finished it by the 31st) and Pokémon, that I want to play from the D1 as tradition. I prefer leaving it for December, where fortunately there isn't any game I am interested in. (I also have to get DQXI and Yu-No someday, but this another story... Really, too many games, so little time, I agree)

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I played it just last year on 3DS and countless times on GCN in the preceding years (as proof, any of our Luigi's Mansion Cool Bits videos basically required a complete playthrough). Yes, Luigi's Mansion is linear in that you unlock each area sequentially, but each individual area feels comparatively open allowing some freedom of exploration, especially once the areas start layering on top of each other, requiring you to revisit past locations.

By comparison, LM3's elevator acts primarily as a glorified level select (fittingly haha), and with most of the floors being corridor focused (naturally, given it's a hotel), there isn't as much room for exploration.

To clarify, this isn't necessarily a bad thing; I'm just trying to better explain the distinction. And this is only based on the first half of the game, so it's possible it opens up more later.

Guess I can really draw a comparisson yet to 3 since, well, the game isn't out yet. But as someone who also has played the game many, many times I can say that the only times you are actually required to backtrack for a story reason into a previously visited room is at the end of chapter 3 (Madame Clairvoya) and at the beginning of chapter 4 (Uncle grimely). The rest is just passing through the same hallways over and over. The boos are more busywork rather than actual backtracking. And the areas themselves are mostly a progression of keys and doors with the exception of SuePea and Jarvis at the tail end.

As much as I love the first one, I am grateful for the elevator because it means I'm not going to be going up and down the stairs from the attic to the basement x times to get all the boos. (Considering there is maybe 17 floors, I'm relieved by that).

However, I do understand how it feel different as the mansion in 1 feels more connected and cohesive, despite the rooms being largely self contained (Maybe this has to do with thae fact that the boos don't move between rooms in the later games?). While the mansions of 2 and the floors of three feel more individualized.

Anyways, I'm rambling on. I'm sure the game will be great and I eagerly await your review. Keep working hard Andre!

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the first game got absolutely thrashed at release for basically not being a Mario game.
Time has been kind to it though and it is now remembered fondly as a highlight of the GameCube library.
I liked the Cube but it was clearly my secondary console and I felt like the best game on the system was probably either Fzero or Resident Evil 4. IMO not Nintendo's strongest generation in terms of their peak output.

Still very interested in seeing how Nintendo wants to build on this franchise.

It seems like the perfect Halloween game.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just watched the GameXplain and Gamespot preview videos and holy crap, it looks damn good. Game is much darker and the lightning looks substantially better than before.