• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Google needs a higher end Chrome OS device that people would actually want to buy.

They need to show what a nicer Chromebook or Tablet convertible can do compared to the $150-$300 models.

They don't need a $900 Pixel Slate or a $1000 Pixelbook.

Do something akin to the Samsung Chromebook Pros that cost more in the $450-$600 range. Something that has a nicer fit and finish with a quality screen that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

People might be willing to spend an extra hundy or two vs say a HP Chromebook for $330. They aren't gonna spend an extra $600+.

Aesthet1c

Oct 27, 2017
I'm on my phone, but I did a search on it earlier. Not sure if it's still the case, but this Reddit post (a year old, I think) said it doesn't matter if you pay extra, the minimum monthly payment stays the same.

The financing is a line of credit through the Google Store. When you go to buy the Pixel, your credit is just listed as one of the payment options. You can't use multiple payment methods as far as I know, so the entire price of the phone is financed (though there's nothing stopping you from making bigger payments or paying off the phone early if you want). But that won't reduce the minimum amount for your monthly payments.

Awesome, thank for the help guys.

Speculator

Oct 30, 2017
Austin
Quick shop of hiding the notch on the 3XL (wish they would've just launched without the notch). Possibly tempted to upgrade my 2 XL for the 3
6yP4dXL.jpg

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
If it's the front facing speakers causing all these problems with the large bezels/notch, just get rid of them. They're really not worth so much sacrifice on the hardware.

Go the Samsung/Apple route and just have one bottom facing speaker with the earpiece as the other. That's good enough for 99% of people.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
If it's the front facing speakers causing all these problems with the large bezels/notch, just get rid of them. They're really not worth so much sacrifice on the hardware.

Go the Samsung/Apple route and just have one bottom facing speaker with the earpiece as the other. That's good enough for 99% of people.

I don't give as much of a shit about bezels as much as a good speaker.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like low demand, still in stock and launch day shipping available.

Oct 25, 2017
yeah slate pricing is insane.

$600 for intel celeron.

Meanwhile an ipad pro MSRP is $650 (can often find deals cheaper) with 120hz display and A11X chipset.

keyboard is somehow more expensive than apple's too.

99Luffy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Disappointed they haven't redesigned the shoddy hardware on the Google home/mini. Meanwhile Amazon is already on their 3rd gens. I'm switching.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
if it wasn't the notch it would have been something else. None of these people had any intention of ever getting a pixel no matter what it was
Nah. I want a Google phone. It's Google who's making it so hard to give them my money.

No headphone jack and no suitable usb audio standard, inexplicable design choices like the bottom bezzle compared to the competition, somehow it starts $150 more expensive than last gen (which was already surprisingly expensive to begin with) and they don't even try to justify the price hike, oh and still only 4gigs of RAM with only 64 and 128GB options.

If tech journalism was actual journalism, someone would've sat with a lead on this and really pressed them on their nonsense strategy.

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
There is no software to fix that. That space is all hardware. You have to have space for the camera drivers, optical image stabilization and other things. There is no way you could cut the display that close to the camera lenses without compromising the camera itself.

Look at the iPhone's notch for comparison.
I'm talking about the white space, I know the notch is hardware. I'm talking about the unsightly white to the right and left. People can obviously choose to set it to black to hide the notch. But the white looks horrible, that's what I meant by them fixing the way that looks. I've only seen the transparent background on the other phones for either side on the notch but I guess doesn't work well for certain applications. regardless that is one of the worst notches due to its height.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like low demand, still in stock and launch day shipping available.
Thanks for this. I, mistakenly, ordered the Verizon version. I've been buying the unlocked version. I didn't understand why my order would take until Nov 5th.

Because of this post, I scrutinized my order. The unlocked version ships earlier, Oct 25th and the Verizon version takes 2 weeks longer.

So I cancelled my first order, reordered the right, unlocked version and I'm getting it October 25th.

They offer fast shipping and you get it 2 days earlier. Naw, I'm good.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Gonna stay with my Pixel 2 XL 128gb Panda Edition.
I would love new live wallpapers though.
The Software updates are neat and who knows, maybe some inventive person will find a way to get some of them running on an Pixel 2 xl.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So I'm trying to trade in my phone but it seems weird that if I pick unlocked I get less return from Google than if I pick Verizon. Maybe I should just sell it myself.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
Gonna stay with my Pixel 2 XL 128gb Panda Edition.
I would love new live wallpapers though.
The Software updates are neat and who knows, maybe some inventive person will find a way to get some of them running on an Pixel 2 xl.

I have the Pixel 2 camera app on my Pixel 1, so I guess that is possible. We will wait and see.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
If I didn't have and love my Essential the 2XL would likely be mine.

Of course, if I could convince the wife to give up the way of the Samsung (and the Note life at that) she'd be on a 3 or 3XL.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Looks like Verizon is going to start their Universal Profile launch on Wednesday with the Pixel 3.

Last edited: