• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
mDLnhTP.png

Thanks to nin and turmoil7 for the banner!
Whether you've played Town of Salem, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, traditional Mafia, have always had an interest, or just thought this thread looked interesting - welcome! Our forum mafia community is always open to new players and we love seeing new faces join our games. Go ahead and introduce yourself in this thread and we'll help get you in a game as soon as we can!

u0t0Uhz.png

Mafia, or Werewolf, is a secretively team-based "whodunnit?" deception—elimination game played over consecutive rounds of DAY and NIGHT. Two (2) teams/Alignments, "Town" & "Mafia," compete to be the last faction alive or in majority.

Each Town-aligned player starts the game not knowing who else is Town, and don't know who's Mafia...
...but all Mafia-aligned players, start the game knowing the identities of their Mafia teammates.

During the DAY, all players are allowed to talk with each other in the game-thread, to vote out one (1) player whom they suspect is Mafia.
A DAY typically lasts for 48hrs real-time.
Town wins once all the Mafia are eliminated.

But during the NIGHT; talking is banned, except for the Mafia who can still whisper together in a private chat and can KILL one (1) player.
A NIGHT typically lasts for 24hrs real-time.
Mafia wins once they outnumber Town.

However, survival's not off charisma alone. Granted by the game's Host before beginning, everybody has a "Role" to play, and some of them have Powers: special abilities that may help reveal truths, or work to support lies! Interested? Here's how you sign up:
poHnry6.png

Playing a game with us is very simple: just fill out the form below and sign up for our website! New players always get priority!
Name:
Nickname (optional):
Pronoun:
Timezone (UTC format):

Click the image to go to our website where we host spectator chats, secret game chats, and more!
Unless stated otherwise, all our games are hosted on Era.

YAEMexB.png

A Mafia game is a significant time commitment. Our games can take about a month to play, and you'll be expected to post and contribute to the ongoing discussion to help your team win. And don't forget to follow ResetEra's ToS and Member Etiquette. Though this is a game about lies and deception and things can get heated, this is just a game at the end of the day and we're all here to have fun.

But most importantly, welcome! Through various games, gambits, jokes, wins, losses, upsets, betrayals and triumphs we have formed a community of individuals who have become something like a family. We hope you will join us in our love of this game and give it a shot. You never know what might happen.

⊱≺ ⛯ ≻⊰

The MafiEra Team (CaptainNuevo, Dr. Monkey, Fireblend, Natiko, and Sawneeks)

Last edited:

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
7wtcjoS.png

L9lxZc9.jpg

Thanks Geno for the banner!
Game: Risk Mafia
Gamerunner: Geno
Players: 27
Complexity: Role Madness/Unusual (Quote Geno, "role madness with very experimental and unusual mechanics")
Day/Night Cycle: 48/24*

Welcome to Risk mafia, the game where you will battle as historical figures in a fight for world domination in a mix of mafia and Risk.

*Day might be extended to 72 hours if covering the weekend.
**Also be aware that this game is using the optional rule that extends a Day Phase by 30 minutes if a tie is reached at Day End!

48 hours for sign ups and if the game is full we will run! If not, we will run when we get enough players~!
6zstwaspbd

Olb8Ksj.png

List of Seasons 1 - 9 games
List of Seasons 10 - 16 games

Special thanks to all team members who helped during the previous season and our wonderful gamerunners for creating, and running, those games! Thank you:

Last edited:

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
XfvTjEf.png

Interested in running your own Mafia game? Click here for more info!
⊱≺ ⛯ ≻⊰
Want to know how many games you've won or don't know a certain mafia term?
Check out our game resources for that and more!

MafiEra R&D
Fireblend has created a set of tools to help streamline the forum mafia experience for those who'd like to use them! (Note: the vote tool is required for use in games.)
  • MafiEra Vote Tool, a website that allows you to see a game's current post and vote counts, and other features like checking in which phase a player left the game, who were the winners, and more!
  • Vote Tool userscript (Era|OM) - allows the user to see the current game's vote count at the top and bottom of a page.
  • Isolating Posts (ISO) userscript - allows the user to search all posts from a single player with a handy button.
  • PlayerInfo userscript - allows the user to access the player list at any time in the reply box.
Mafia championships
Beginning in 2016 our community has been invited to the annual Mafia Championships hosted by Mafia Universe. Over 225 different forum mafia communities have participated in this event with hundreds of different players over the years. Representing us in these games are:
  • Sorian, who played in Season 3, Game 5; then the Final Game and got 4th place!
  • Ty4on and Natiko played in Season 4, Game 8!
  • Dr. Monkey with CaptainNuevo as a back-up! Monkey has played in Season 5, Game 7, in Wildcard Game 2, and in the finals!
  • Faddy played in Season 6, Game 4!
  • Our latest champions: Dr. Monkey with TheChuggernaut as back-up! Monkey will begin her game on July 15th!
Mentorship program
For new and returning players who would like some assistance, we offer a mentorship program. These mentors can not play the game for you or answer direct questions such as 'who should I vote for?' but can help with mafia terminology, general strategy, and other minor questions. If you are interested in requesting a mentor, please contact your gamerunner.

For veteran players, if you would like to offer your assistance to the mentorship program please contact Sawneeks, or let us know in this thread.

MafiEra Hangouts
Discord: Post in this thread or PM a member of the Discord Team for an invite!
Steam: OuterMafia, managed by Roytheone.
PSN: OuterMafia, managed by RetroMG.
MafiEra D&D 5e PBP Campaign, managed by Sawneeks.

MafiEra's monthly book club
Hosted by Flatearthpandas and Fireblend we now have a monthly book club! Voting and book selection happens on Discord while discussion on each month's book takes place in Outer Mafia under General Discussion. Come read with us!

NXhnteB.png

Facilitators
Responsible for leading all teams and representing the community
Discord Team
Responsible for keeping peace in Discord, creating and removing rooms as needed, and giving and revoking access to private rooms.
Outer Mafia Team
Responsible for creating forum boards and giving access to them
Review Team
Responsible for receiving new Mafia game submissions and coordinating gamerunners and reviewers to get games ready to run
  • Fireblend
  • Roytheone
Scheduling Team
Responsible for scheduling games, creating rosters, and keeping analytics

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
New Season, New Me! Glad to finally be off my long hiatus lol

I'll sign up for whatever game is next. I'm not too familiar with Nier.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
www.resetera.com

Community |OT| List

Welcome! This thread is the Official Community Thread list for the Etcetera Hangouts section. You can find most Etcetera communities' OTs here. This list has been organised by categories and placed in alphabetical order. Find a topic that interests you! Whilst we have tried to include as many...
This thread here has a link that leads to the third OT, I think we should give them the updated link to put there every time we change OT and rename it to Mafia/Werewolf Era

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
That new thread smell...mhm.
New Season, New Me! Glad to finally be off my long hiatus lol

I'll sign up for whatever game is next. I'm not too familiar with Nier.
Whew, you're missing out mate. Just looking at your avi Nier might be right down your alley, so it's lucky that Nier replicant is being remastered for release this gen.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
I played some of Nier on PS3, still have it. I remember that I was an old buff dude, kind of like Geralt of Rivia, and that I was in a town, and I was fishing, and I think there were sheep, and then I think I remember fighting some robots but I might be mixing that memory up with something from Nier Automata.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
its a game about a man.
glad to see you back. We need someone who can clean things up
Thanks mate. Can't wait to play with you and the rest of the gang again.

That new thread smell...mhm.

Whew, you're missing out mate. Just looking at your avi Nier might be right down your alley, so it's lucky that Nier replicant is being remastered for release this gen.
Yeah I figured based on what I've heard of it. I wasn't the biggest fan of Automata gameplay wise, but the story kept me going until the end. I def plan to get Replicant when it comes out.

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
If terra plays next game then I HAVE to play, we won't see him again for another year probably after that.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure I'm on the replacements list for this one please! It sounds awesome and if next week wasn't insane I would just flat sign up, but by the time you need a replacement it'll be worked out

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember the last time I won a mafia game (one where I didn't sub in late), gotta try to right this

He
UTC -3
turm
Nier

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Signing up to die a quarter of the way through day 1 instead this time.

No pronoun
UTC -4 (????)

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
.-. So many people already signing up .-.

Either way I'm liking this player list so far. :D

Speaking of... since our game has been announced. I need to get my avatar ready :D

Edit: And done :D

Last edited:

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
it's better now that I murdered Sneeks and assumed absolutely control
don't ask questions, just roll with it
avenngeee meeeee

Is my game after this one?
Noooo, looks like Nat's game is after this and then yours.
www.resetera.com

Community |OT| List

Welcome! This thread is the Official Community Thread list for the Etcetera Hangouts section. You can find most Etcetera communities' OTs here. This list has been organised by categories and placed in alphabetical order. Find a topic that interests you! Whilst we have tried to include as many...
This thread here has a link that leads to the third OT, I think we should give them the updated link to put there every time we change OT and rename it to Mafia/Werewolf Era
Good catch! I'll let em know.

nin

Asked Politely
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for choosing the paint pictures I did for the banner :)

Can't wait to play with You again

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
This could be fun I haven't played Mafia in years

Hagi
He/him
UTC -0 (im not sure if thats right but i'm UK if it helps)

Geno

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Thessaloniki
I always say UTC even though Greece isn't UTC because it's close enough and who cares about 1 or 2 hour differences when playing mafia really.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
It's been awhile since I have participated in an online game but this feels as good as time as any.

Hedin
He/Him
UTC -4

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Geno, do you have sunglasses like that irl?
I can only assume you have a beard like that