• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first screenshot appears to still be using billboard cutouts of people as placeholders for models, but I can't tell in the back on the right if that's a model of a woman in a dress or not.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
Ryo is finally looking perfect.

Looks like people dumb driveby one-liners were wrong, who would've thought...

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue III is gonna shock the shit out of people who have been hate-watching hoping for a train wreck.

I hope so, but what is obvious is that the final game isn't going to be anywhere close as "bad" as some people have continued to suggest. I've got one particular post on this forum bookmarked for a good day in the future. :)

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Got excited for Shenmue 3 gameplay. :( Oh well, looking forward to the details that are coming I guess.

Environments are looking as great as ever, also Ryo's face is looking much improved imo.
Shenmue is running way behind where it needs to be.
Pretty much, but it's expected really. They were a small team considering what they wanted to achieve.

Oct 30, 2017
Just some context for those of you who think the new model is horrible.

hhhUkRr_d.jpg

breakYODAy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very impressed with the progress shown in these screens released today,. Shenmue 3 is gonna be goooood.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Loving the new screenshots. The environments feel right out of Shenmue. The new Ryo image is probably the best we've sen yet too even if it is weird to see him looking less serious than we're used to.

Suzuki Yu

Oct 25, 2017
Jeddah
wow! amazing improvements!
i am in love with the environments.
all we need right now is to see a brief demo to make sure everything feels right in-motion.

also this could mean that we are going to see a lot more of the game than we initially anticipated out of the event.

The Lakshya Digital collaboration seems to be paying dividends for YsNet.
i don't think lakshya was haired to do the main work.
mostly they are hired to do the bulk of the work (the less important but many NPCs)

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
More like PS5. How deep in 2019 can they go with the money they have?
However long Deep Silver's patience lasts I suppose.

But let's not jump the gun to 2019 and PS5 yet, shall we? The game is still scheduled for the second half of this year, with gameplay details coming next month.

i don't think lakshya was haired to do the main work.
mostly they are hired to do the bulk of the work (the less important but many NPCs)
Yeah, this. Lakshya was hired when the NPC count was due to expand significantly, so they're likely doing that while the modellers at YSnet focus on the core cast. I think these new models are just a reflection of additional time spent on them, rather than being handed to another team entirely.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm almost 99% positive it's just going to be a regular feature based on some interviews I read. I remember there was a bit of backlash on the Kickstarter from people who were upset it wasn't a true exclusive.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I'll be fine if Shenmue 3 looks like that on release but if I want to nitpick, both look just a little bit off, but Shenhua just doesn't give me the same vibe she did in Shen 1 and 2, she seems taller and more lady like and equal to Ryo while in those games she looked like a kid compared to him. Wise beyond her years but still a kid. And she was, even if they only had a couple years difference at Ryo's age that's a lot, she'd change a lot in just a couple years too. Not that their relationship couldn't evolve into a romantic one if that's even an intention (it could or couldn't) without issue but yeah.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm almost 99% positive it's just going to be a regular feature based on some interviews I read. I remember there was a bit of backlash on the Kickstarter from people who were upset it wasn't a true exclusive.
I hope this is the case. I backed at a level that would receive it, but something like that should be available to everyone.

R_thanatos

Oct 27, 2017
More shenmue 3 is always good news.

Especially since the more times passes , the mor epolished the project becomes. We'll get there one day !! ( take your time )

Oct 30, 2017
I'll be fine if Shenmue 3 looks like that on release but if I want to nitpick, both look just a little bit off, but Shenhua just doesn't give me the same vibe she did in Shen 1 and 2, she seems taller and more lady like and equal to Ryo while in those games she looked like a kid compared to him. Wise beyond her years but still a kid. And she was, even if they only had a couple years difference at Ryo's age that's a lot, she'd change a lot in just a couple years too. Not that their relationship couldn't evolve into a romantic one if that's even an intention (it could or couldn't) without issue but yeah.
The only thing that looks off to me is the poses, but I think the models look great.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Wow it's all starting to come together. Never doubt Yu Suzuki. His "waterfall" development style is not common as everything in the game is constantly getting worked on up until release. It's going to keep improving

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Shenmue III looks great. Character models are an especially nice improvement.

I hope they can work with Sega/M2/Gotch to include some of AM2's old arcade games again.

Oct 30, 2017
I think Spaghetti mentioned that Yu Suzuki had some sort of trick he'd use at Sega where he could show people older builds of games that were further along than it appeared at the click of a button, just so he could buy himself more time. Not saying he's doing that here, but y'know.

Carmelozi

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Shenmue may really be done for 2018. Not that I don't believe CĂ©dric Biscay but it would surprise me. And a live demo of Vampyr is great, can't wait to see gameplay.

Macs

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Considering that we have come from nothing (the big reaction at e3 and the Kickstarter record were all but expected), it's safe to say Shenmue 3 has grown beyond my wildest dreams.

I mean it started with Yu Suzuki by himself, and now look at how polished those models look thanks to new fundings and the Indian studio's help,It's madness.

Now, if only Sega would make the damn remasters...

Dec 30, 2017
We're finally close to something but I still have some troubles with it:
- Ryo still doesn't convey his original natural expression. Something looks wrong with proportion as well (too tiny eyes?).
- If you look closely, Shenhua may look like a doll. The "doll effect", the lifeless eyes have been the issue for most of the characters so far.
- No significant progress for the environment but it was predictable.

On the whole, the problem remains the same: it still looks like an Unreal Engine 4 fan-game. At least, judging by these screens.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kind of stunned how good Ryo looks now. He looks like an actual person. His hair looks great. The dead-eyed stare from the Dreamcast days is gone.

Man. Super happy about this.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I like the Shenmue screens. Was hoping the Vampyr gameplay was already up though, really looking forward to that.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Wow it's all starting to come together. Never doubt Yu Suzuki. His "waterfall" development style is not common as everything in the game is constantly getting worked on up until release. It's going to keep improving
Actually, Yu's development style is Agile but the point still stands. The methodology is heavily based in constant cycles of iteration and improvement, which is what we've been seeing and probably will continue to see until the game releases.

Oct 30, 2017
We're finally close to something but I still have some troubles with it:
- Ryo still doesn't convey his original natural expression. Something looks wrong with proportion as well (too tiny eyes?).
- If you look closely, Shenhua may look like a doll. The "doll effect", the lifeless eyes have been the issue for most of the characters so far.
- No significant progress for the environment but it was predictable.

On the whole, the problem remains the same: it still looks like an Unreal Engine 4 fan-game. At least, judging by these screens.
Can you show me a game made in UE4 that does not look like a "fan game"? Honest question. I'd like to know what the key distinction is. Keep in mind this is a game set in real life locales and not a fantasy game, so please try to keep it relevant to that setting if you can.