• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"As this Saga enters and..."

Enters what? The battlefield? Your hand? The graveyard? The removed from the game zone?

Is this a new templating for "enters play" or just funky on the Sagas specifically?
There's no new templating for Sagas at all. The reminder text is horribly templated - the ability actually works the way you would expect if you were building the ability knowing basically what it does:

As a Saga enters the battlefield, its controller puts a lore counter on it. As your precombat main phase begins (immediately after your draw step), you put another lore counter on each Saga you control. Putting a lore counter on a Saga in either of these ways doesn't use the stack.

Each symbol on the left of a Saga's text box represents a chapter ability. A chapter ability is a triggered ability that triggers when a lore counter that is put on the Saga causes the number of lore counters on the Saga to become equal to or greater than the ability's chapter number. Chapter abilities are put onto the stack and may be responded to.

A chapter ability doesn't trigger if a lore counter is put on a Saga that already had a number of lore counters greater than or equal to that chapter's number. For example, the third lore counter put on a Saga causes the III chapter ability to trigger, but I and II won't trigger again.

Once a chapter ability has triggered, the ability on the stack won't be affected if the Saga gains or loses counters, or if it leaves the battlefield.

If multiple chapter abilities trigger at the same time, their controller puts them on the stack in any order. If any of them require targets, those targets are chosen as you put the abilities on the stack, before any of those abilities resolve.

If counters are removed from a Saga, the appropriate chapter abilities will trigger again when the Saga receives lore counters. Removing lore counters won't cause a previous chapter ability to trigger.

Once the number of lore counters on a Saga is greater than or equal to the greatest number among its chapter abilities—in the Dominaria set, this is always three—the Saga's controller sacrifices it as soon as its chapter ability has left the stack, most likely by resolving or being countered. This state-based action doesn't use the stack.

Sagas automatically get Lore counters without the stack at the beginning of your pre-combat main phase (which is not in actual rules parlance "after your draw step"). Adding Lore counters will cause a Chapter ability to trigger when the number of Lore counters exceeds the current number of Lore counters on the card (if a Winding Constrictor-esque effect, although not WC itself, causes it to get multiple counters, every Chapter higher than the counter prior to more counters being put on it will trigger. Nothing in standard will give you two counters at once, but Skyship Plunderer can trigger multiple Chapter abilities per turn.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
This is an interesting take from Emma Handy on Sagas:

For the record, I think the Sagas look cool.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In theory I like the Saga frame (verticality just makes sense for that sort of thing - obelisks and the like), but in practice yeah, it's iffy. Could have used some more tweaking.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The sagas seem like fine cards play -wise once you understand how they work. I just hate how they look.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Sagas look awesome. It's way more legible than if they were formatted with a normal text box, and the shape evokes the flavor of the card type. There's still plenty of room for art, and it gives artists the chance to create unique pieces and scenes that they wouldn't otherwise be able to.

The reminder text isn't good; no argument from me there.

On the card itself, I imagine that it'll be extremely impactful in Standard. At the same time, it has more counterplay than most board wipes since it's delayed by a turn and is vulnerable to Enchantment removal. Really like it overall.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sagas look awesome. It's way more legible than if they were formatted with a normal text box, and the shape evokes the flavor of the card type. There's still plenty of room for art, and it gives artists the chance to create unique pieces and scenes that they wouldn't otherwise be able to.

The reminder text isn't good; no argument from me there.
They should have had a Planeswalker frame with something to make them look more Enchantment-y. But it's not a big deal. None of these seem like anything I'd put in a deck anyways.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely is after your draw step. Main phases don't normally have turn-based actions, but when Sagas are on the battlefield they do.
No. You get the counter even if you don't have a draw step (e.g. Necropotence). It's in the Release Notes; this occurs in your pre-combat main phase, not your draw step; nothing requires a draw step to have occurred or a card to have been drawn.

Yeef

Oct 25, 2017
New York
No. You get the counter even if you don't have a draw step (e.g. Necropotence). It's in the Release Notes; this occurs in your pre-combat main phase, not your draw step; nothing requires a draw step to have occurred or a card to have been drawn.
After your draw step implies the main phase, but I can understand why that might be confusing for someone who doesn't have a strong grasp on the rules.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they will have "skip you draw step" anywhere in Standard with these, so mentioning it in reminder text is fine.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Would it really be so hard to rephrase it in an easier fashion?

Something more like:

When this card enters the battlefield, put a lore counter on it.
Add a lore counter at the start of your pre-combat main phase.
If this card has three or more lore counters, sacrifice it.

What we got is insanely confusing.

Oct 25, 2017
The 'after draw step' is the most confusing part of the whole thing. I didn't know if that meant main or after drawing your card but inside draw step.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017

Something more like:

This is much better.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Something more like:

Look at the room they had lol
Contraptions don't have reminder text right ? Should have gone the same way

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
After your draw step implies the main phase, but I can understand why that might be confusing for someone who doesn't have a strong grasp on the rules.
I already saw like 5 guys this morning talking about draw step triggers. It's definitely confusing. Particularly given the red saga literally would not work if you did not get the Chapter ability in your main phase.

All of the Sagas being bad flavor crap you don't put in any deck probably ameliorates the rules wonkiness.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The art on sagas is fine, imo. The phrasing, rules and wording of Sagas is really fucking awful, though. A thing happening "after your draw step" is confusing as fuck.

Well, it's either "after your draw step" or "at the beginning of your precombat main phase". I think "after your draw step" is easier to understand.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
I already saw like 5 guys this morning talking about draw step triggers. It's definitely confusing. Particularly given the red saga literally would not work if you did not get the Chapter ability in your main phase.

All of the Sagas being bad flavor crap you don't put in any deck probably ameliorates the rules wonkiness.
yeah I was wondering why they were giving you mana in the draw phase. I don't get why they reference the draw step at all, they do a triggered ability at mainphase 2 just fine.
104.jpg
and if it were to save space, with all the templating changes pre- and postcombat mainphase needed a name of their own for a long time.
You realise how condescending that sounds right?

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Look at the room they had lol
Contraptions don't have reminder text right ? Should have gone the same way
I mean, here's a quick and (really) dirty mock up:

zfwLF0D.png

But more to your point, they had as much room as they wanted because they designed the damn frames!!

They could have given themselves more room if they desired.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You don't put a counter on at "every" main phase. Just the precombat main phase.

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They may have been trying to avoid giving the impression your opponent could respond to the Lore counter because at that point it's a triggered ability which triggers another ability.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine there are also printing concerns if the text is too small.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
right there's the weird interaction according to the release notes that the sacrifice doesn't happen until the III resolves.

Oh I get it, reminder says after III.

Oct 25, 2017
What the game actually needs is a visual shortcut for "this enters with X counters of X type." Planeswalkers have a visual shortcut for entering with loyalty counters - there's no reason why they can't have a visual shortcut for creatures entering with +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters, and then the same visual shortcut could be used for lore counters here.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized, there's no explicit rules text on the card for how it works, just reminder text. That's new for black border subtypes outside of how defender used to be tied to Walls.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
If it were like a Planeswalker it could look like this.

DKHOd45.png

Last edited:

Angry Grimace

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice, though I imagine they deliberately didn't make it look like a planeswalker so people wouldn't think they worked the same way.
I'm fairly confident that was a design goal since the PW frame I s already set up to do this and the EDH PW show you can fit reminder text. They had to deliberately not want it to look like the Planeswalker frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.