Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Wait why can't you use a spindown as a d20? It's the same number of sides, are the results biased somehow?
Check your spindown dice. They're ordered so that you can easily keep track of life totals.

D20%20spin.png

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
Because the numbers of a spindown are ordered in a particular way, you theoretically can have more control over the result. Imagine a roulette wheel that was ordered 0/00 to 36. It might be just as hard to land on any particular number, but with enough practice, it should be reasonable to land on 18-36 at a rate greater than that expected of "random."

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Started picking up cards to play Ice Age/Alliances constructed with online peeps over webcam because I have some kind of personality disorder that keeps me from enjoying Magic normally. Yavimaya Ants is a fucking truck. How have I never played with this before?

Yay another old format person! I got into Old School 93/94 in a bit of COVID induced insanity, and I love it. The creatures are all so wonderfully terrible! Also, dexterity cards are amazing and need to make a return!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think Wizards is above doing a Secret Lair swords personally. I could see them doing it easily.

I would assume the Praetors sold massively and they are definitely looking into similar others of this type.
I own multiple copies of all the older Swords and I would buy this in a heartbeat

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Yay another old format person! I got into Old School 93/94 in a bit of COVID induced insanity, and I love it. The creatures are all so wonderfully terrible! Also, dexterity cards are amazing and need to make a return!
Nobody here even likes talking about Legacy, 93/93 has no chance haha

I wish I had enough of a pool to play 93/94 IRL but I don't think I could afford to jump in now.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
I own multiple copies of all the older Swords and I would buy this in a heartbeat

I was asking myself if they ever made them...how many would you buy? Assuming they came in a set of 5 Do you buy 1-2 because most decks dont use more than that, or a full set of 4 or... a full set of 4 and a foil set of 4 lol

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody here even likes talking about Legacy, 93/93 has no chance haha

I wish I had enough of a pool to play 93/94 IRL but I don't think I could afford to jump in now.

Yeah not expecting lots of people to engage in a discussion haha. I'm loving it though - my first cards were an Unlimited starter and two Antiquities boosters, so the nostalgia is really high. But yeah, even with CE/IE generally allowed, it's not cheap. It's fun hunting for the grungiest players copies you can find. I found an IE Ruby with a giant crease through the back, it's great, and still taps for red!

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I was asking myself if they ever made them...how many would you buy? Assuming they came in a set of 5 Do you buy 1-2 because most decks dont use more than that, or a full set of 4 or... a full set of 4 and a foil set of 4 lol
If it came all five to one set and was reasonably priced? I might buy a few copies of both foil and non-foil honestly.

Yeah not expecting lots of people to engage in a discussion haha. I'm loving it though - my first cards were an Unlimited starter and two Antiquities boosters, so the nostalgia is really high. But yeah, even with CE/IE generally allowed, it's not cheap. It's fun hunting for the grungiest players copies you can find. I found an IE Ruby with a giant crease through the back, it's great, and still taps for red!
What did that run you if you don't mind my asking and when?

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
Saw on twitter there is a Banned and Restricted announcement tomorrow. This will determine whether or not I pull the trigger on these god damn Mishra's Baubles.

Jul 14, 2018

I just proxy all the stuff shamelessly. Some people in the community will sneer about it, but it's no big. They aren't obligated to play with me. I can't imagine dumping those truckloads of dollars in tourneys at bars with alchohol that isn't even sanctioned.

I've not made the dive into 93/94 as of yet, though I do love all the Euro YouTubers who dedicate themselves to the format. There's such a genuine joy for the cards and the culture between players seems so friendly. The creatures ARE horrible, but I badly want to sit across the table from someone and shrug when I lose cuz "Hey. I'm playing Viscerid Drone--what did we expect?"

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
What did that run you if you don't mind my asking and when?

I got the creased Ruby for $350 and an MP Emerald for $560 in December. It seems like things have gone up a bit since then, which is unfortunate, it sucks seeing people get priced out.

I just proxy all the stuff shamelessly. Some people in the community will sneer about it, but it's no big. They aren't obligated to play with me. I can't imagine dumping those truckloads of dollars in tourneys at bars with alchohol that isn't even sanctioned.

I've not made the dive into 93/94 as of yet, though I do love all the Euro YouTubers who dedicate themselves to the format. There's such a genuine joy for the cards and the culture between players seems so friendly. The creatures ARE horrible, but I badly want to sit across the table from someone and shrug when I lose cuz "Hey. I'm playing Viscerid Drone--what did we expect?"

Oh definitely, I think proxies are totally fine if they get more people playing. The Swedish format purists are insane, you see people playing a set of Beta power with a bunch of beers right nearby - more power to them, but that's madness.

Other than flipping Chaos Orbs and Falling Stars, the creatures are my favorite part of the format. How can you not love a format where Spitting Slug may be the best green three drop!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I got the creased Ruby for $350 and an MP Emerald for $560 in December. It seems like things have gone up a bit since then, which is unfortunate, it sucks seeing people get priced out.
Oh man, where? I need to figure out where to buy damaged Power. I want some

Jer

Oct 27, 2017

The Ruby was in the OldSchoolMTG Discord, let me know if you want me to PM you a link. Lots of cool stuff in the marketplace but not as many deals - people got away from "bro pricing" as they realized dealers were taking advantage of them to restock.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The Ruby was in the OldSchoolMTG Discord, let me know if you want me to PM you a link. Lots of cool stuff in the marketplace but not as many deals - people got away from "bro pricing" as they realized dealers were taking advantage of them to restock.
That would be stellar, thanks!

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
They're CE/IE so gold bordered, which is crazy since I remember they were going for $50-100 many years ago. People were buying them up so they could cut the corners, scrape the gold and change the back to make it look like a real Beta card.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
They're CE/IE so gold bordered, which is crazy since I remember they were going for $50-100 many years ago. People were buying them up so they could cut the corners, scrape the gold and change the back to make it look like a real Beta card.

Yeah CE/IE got expensive - probably a combination of OS allowing them and Unlimited getting out of reach and people looking for an alternative. I remember buying a Mox set for $100 and a Lotus for $50 in 2002 - not so much today!

I am happy that means that people have mostly stopped mutilating the poor things, though.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Ahhh. What a world we live in haha

Abolish the reserved list!

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I like that they can play with the format a little more loosely because it's digital.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i tried some quick draft but man afr has been my worst draft experience since eldraine and that was when i was just starting out. i think i'll just save my frustration and gold for the next set.

Fiddler

Oct 27, 2017
I thought book of exalted deeds is banned, why do i keep still running into it in best of one?

Jumpstart: Historic Horizons announced for Arena
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
www.ign.com

Exclusive: MTG Arena’s Jumpstart: Historic Horizons Set Will Add Digital-Only Cards, Full Details Revealed - IGN

First details on Jumpstart: Historic Horizons, including digital-only mechanics that don't work in paper Magic.

New Jumpstart: Historic Horizons set announced for Arena, which will feature Modern Horizons cards and also 31 digital-exclusive cards with mechanics that only work digitally. Some examples are at the link. A few are below.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Digital exclusive mechanics:
Seek - Get a random card from your deck that fits the conditions, without shuffling
Perpetually - Applies a condition to a card for the duration of the game, even when it changes zones, such as "gets -1/-2"
Conjure - Creates an actual Magic card and puts it in your hand—not a token or a copy.

Also the Davriel card shown allows you to choose from a random list of benefits, and from a random list of drawbacks.

These will only be in Historic. Standard, etc. will not include these digital-only cards.

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
These sort of things seem fun in a digital-only limited set, and none of them seem that pushed, but I think adding them to a non-rotating constructed format is a bad idea.

Feb 16, 2018
the mechanics work okay in other games, but it feels like they just picked the lowest-hanging fruit and made a few random cards with them

they're not bad cards, but they're also the most boring thing that they could possibly do, so it's hard for me to get excited about them

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I'm posting card reveals in the Arena thread.

magic.wizards.com

Where to Find Jumpstart: Historic Horizons Previews | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

What's been previewed, what's going to be previewed, and where you can find all of it for Jumpstart: Historic Horizons, right here!
magic.wizards.com

What Is MTG Arena's Jumpstart: Historic Horizons? | Magic: The Gathering

New cards. Digital mechanics. Hundreds of decks to play.
Ethereal-Grasp_8Fhweyfy.png
Tome-Infinite_7wYYehdy.png

Tome of the Infinite can conjure the following.
unknown.png

bleedingcool.com

Magic: The Gathering JumpStart: Historic Horizons "In The Machine"

We are happy to showcase an exclusive preview from Magic: The Gathering's next Arena-only expansion set, JumpStart: Historic Horizons!

Reprints
Esper_Sentinel_EN.png
Nettlecyst_EN.png
Thought_Monitor_EN.png

New card
0002_MTGJ21_Main.png

unknown.png

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Couldn't be more disappointed by the advent of digital only cards but I guess I should have seen it coming.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
Arena technically already has exclusive cards, but yeah, this is different. I honestly don't mind it, but I don't play paper, so ... yeah.

My bigger annoyance here is the Jumpstart reward structure. I rather enjoy Jumpstart as it's a version of limited that I feel like I can have some success with and it feels super casual. My issues is the lack of duplicate protection around the ICRs. It felt pretty shitty to be getting 20 gems after 20 gems in the original Jumpstart.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I have no clue since I don't follow the scene, but is Historic even a heavily supported format? Like, in the pro scene and stuff? I remember Pioneer was a thing not too long ago but that seems to be dead now.

Feb 16, 2018
Honestly I have no clue since I don't follow the scene, but is Historic even a heavily supported format? Like, in the pro scene and stuff? I remember Pioneer was a thing not too long ago but that seems to be dead now.

wotc organized play kept trying to make competitive arena a thing, and they hate limited, so historic + standard was heavily supported by default (because there's nothing else)

pioneer / modern / legacy are mtgo formats. mtgo has much more competitive play, but much less professional play

they seem to be moving away from pro player and back to competitive play, so the future is probably modern + something for paper and standard + historic for arena

f0rk

Oct 25, 2017
The R&D for for actual Magic has been a mess the last couple of years, no faith a under resourced game studio is going to be able to do anything better. And the reveal hasn't given a reason for doing this beyond "because we can"

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
Tried to watch news about Historic Horizons but could not be bothered enough to care about digital only cards.

I've noticed that Standard in paper is pretty much dead and Modern has taken over my city. Is this because people can just play Arena if they want to play standard or just nobody wants to play standard until Eldraine rotates?

Feb 16, 2018
paper standard has been struggling in general for quite some time

you can partly blame standard for being bad for most of the past 5 years and you can partly blame arena (or praise arena) and you can partly blame the bannings, but there's more to it than that

it's just not a big part of magic like it used to be

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
I don't know if I'll ever play paper magic again outside of the odd EDH game. It's hard to justify driving 40 minutes to the closest LGS only on specific days to play (if people actually show up) versus walking to a different room and turning on a computer.

MoxManiac

Nov 17, 2017
Jumpstart already reminds me of Magic's take on Keyforge, but the persist mechanic kinda reminds me of enhancements from that game as well.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
paper standard has been struggling in general for quite some time

you can partly blame standard for being bad for most of the past 5 years and you can partly blame arena (or praise arena) and you can partly blame the bannings, but there's more to it than that

it's just not a big part of magic like it used to be
Covid aside (because it definitely hastened things), I blame them not incentivizing people for playing it by ruining FNM player rewards and gutting tournament support, not to mention maliciously torpedoing pro play over the last few years. Looking back on it now, it's almost like they ruined things like coverage on purpose only to point at how low the views were once things were basically unwatchable, be it due to quality or due to how poorly they advertised coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.