Status
Not open for further replies.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
any of you guys know a youtube channel or a website that specializes in constructed modern and vintage? I stopped playing IRL in 2004, and now just coming back and trying to build a deck in MTGO.

Feb 16, 2018
any of you guys know a youtube channel or a website that specializes in constructed modern and vintage? I stopped playing IRL in 2004, and now just coming back and trying to build a deck in MTGO.

don't know about vintage, but gabrielnassif and aspiringspike win a lot and have lots of modern videos (often trying new things)

if you want something more efficient than watching really long mtgo livestream recordings, starcitygames + channelfireball probably have some articles behind paywalls or something

you can also just copy/see the decks from the top 32 of most mtgo tournaments. there are several of those per week

Repgnar

Nov 4, 2017
Hard to get excited for the Arena previews but I'll be crafting a squirrel deck at the very least. I'm enjoying the sealed format of AFR so far. Went to 2 pre-releases and ended up getting to play a quasi-tribal Goblin deck for one. Battle Cry Goblin and returning creatures from the graveyard in limited felt great.

Less than 2 months for Innistrad feels a bit unreal with all the releases recently. Unfortunately it's looking like this may be another pre-release at home with the COVID precautions ramping back up. We had 2 or 3 stores open up for AFR pre-release for the first time in a long time.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Get ready for Magic's biggest announcement day yet! Tune in to the Magic Showcase 2021 event August 24th at 8am PT on http://twitch.tv/magic to learn about what's coming to tabletop, MTG Arena, and multiverses beyond in 2022.

Announcement of an announcement, one month out.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched Tolarian community college 'booster box' game, and damn, I didn't realize how low prices are for this set already.

Man-lands are sub-one dollar (granted, there are better man-lands by far), planeswalkers under 3 (even if ellywick is really bad), and the showcase-type D&D manual art isn't raising the price at all, lol.

It's kind of a shame, there's some nice art in this set for sure, but buying singles (especially with how prevalent extended-art seems to be this time around) is much more applicable here even than in other recent sets.

I wonder if it's just that the set's power level is so low there's no demand. and/or that dungeon as a mechanic isn't very strong/isn't seen as useful, or if people just don't care about the D&D property in the context of mtg.

Or if the price/value is so bad compared to stuff like modern horizons 2.

Curious to see if things ramp back up a bit in Innistrad's two sets - I know Eldraine was real bad for power-creep, but....even for a core set 'fun' replacement, this seems odd to have prices drop like a rock so quickly.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the value is now in collector packs with all the alternate art, showcase and borderless versions and cards that aren't even in the set. Same thing happened with Strixhaven. As a collector, I hate how everything is designed with exclusivity in mind now. You see it with video games too where Limited Run Games offer standard, deluxe and ultra deluxe physical editions of indie games that were only sold digitally beforehand.

I don't know about you guys but $200-250 for 12 packs is a bit much even if they offer more than your standard booster pack.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
To be fair, as someone who just likes to buy cards i want to play with, id much rather the higher prices be in alt arts than just having to spend a shit ton to purchase a playset of a certain card i need to actually play a deck.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the value is now in collector packs with all the alternate art, showcase and borderless versions and cards that aren't even in the set. Same thing happened with Strixhaven. As a collector, I hate how everything is designed with exclusivity in mind now. You see it with video games too where Limited Run Games offer standard, deluxe and ultra deluxe physical editions of indie games that were only sold digitally beforehand.

I don't know about you guys but $200-250 for 12 packs is a bit much even if they offer more than your standard booster pack.

I do find it interesting how Wizards is experimenting with changes to collector packs - IIRC this series is the first to have a dedicated slot for 'commander deck-exclusive' rare/mythic-extended/borderless art - IIRC before those used to be 'random chance' in one of the rare/mythic slots.

Collector boosters having 3-4 guaranteed rare slots doesn't necessarily make up for it at all, but your odds are (somewhat) better at hitting at least one or two cool things - the problem being that having so few packs means that variance can be through the roof, especially when the duds are so poor value-wise, such as this set.

I hit 2 staff of blackwaters (currently at 19 cents) and 2 loyal warhounds (currently 15 cents)...but also hit 2 extended art tiamats (~30 dollars), a Lolth, and a Mordenkainen.

Still makes buying singles easier (assuming the collector's boxes still keep selling well), but I do wonder if/when we hit the stretch/breaking point for how many different variants/extended art-type treatments exist to try and gamble for.

I just checked, and I had no idea that some of the art-prints are selling for 3-5+ plus dollars for either the gold-print or the artist signature??!!!....I don't understand.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Get ready for Magic's biggest announcement day yet! Tune in to the Magic Showcase 2021 event August 24th at 8am PT on http://twitch.tv/magic to learn about what's coming to tabletop, MTG Arena, and multiverses beyond in 2022.

Announcement of an announcement, one month out.
I'd love to hear about the improved future of competitive play and also how they're going to do esports right but I'm expecting Star Wars and Marvel sets instead.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017

iamactualllvl1 - all vintage content
boshnroll - legacy and some modern

I would get back into MTGO but play too much path of exile to really have time to devote to not sucking at vintage. I think legacy is completely degenerate right now and would not play the format, and if I did vintage I would want to do legacy so that makes staying away easier.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
don't know about vintage, but gabrielnassif and aspiringspike win a lot and have lots of modern videos (often trying new things)

if you want something more efficient than watching really long mtgo livestream recordings, starcitygames + channelfireball probably have some articles behind paywalls or something

you can also just copy/see the decks from the top 32 of most mtgo tournaments. there are several of those per week

iamactualllvl1 - all vintage content
boshnroll - legacy and some modern

I would get back into MTGO but play too much path of exile to really have time to devote to not sucking at vintage. I think legacy is completely degenerate right now and would not play the format, and if I did vintage I would want to do legacy so that makes staying away easier.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm new to MTGO and surprised at the card prices compared to paper. I grabbed the full Power 9 set for just $35 and thought my modern deck would be decent in vintage casual games if I just put the power cards in. I think I'll stick to modern for now.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm new to MTGO and surprised at the card prices compared to paper. I grabbed the full Power 9 set for just $35 and thought my modern deck would be decent in vintage casual games if I just put the power cards in. I think I'll stick to modern for now.

I mean, I've won paper power (way back when, but still) playing Qasali Pridgemage, Gaddock Teeg, Aven Mindcensor, and Null Rod. Plenty of people play durdle blue decks in casual vintage and will die quickly to disruptive creatures.

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
That card saw play incredibly early lol. It was in Hammer Time lists before it was even released in paper.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Screenshot_20210623-154953__01.jpg

IceMarker

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I legit sighed seeing that Tweet, and I love spoilers. I feel like they should let it bake for a couple more weeks before spoiling a single card.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I should be so excited for this. I love Innistrad, I love werewolves.

But I'm just so tired.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Even as someone who mostly (if not only) plays commander, it's getting a little tiring with the constant need for 'new news', but I suppose Hasbro's gotta keep building hype continuously in order to keep breaking sales records.

What I'm really curious on is if/how much variance there is between the two sets, and whether or not the pokemon-esque split continues in the future - it's (unfortunately) a really easy way to double the amount of packs being opened, assuming equal amounts of chase rare/mythics.

Hopefully they learned from the recent ban-wave succession with Oko, Omnath, and Eldraine's lopsided power level in general, at least.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Even as someone who mostly (if not only) plays commander, it's getting a little tiring with the constant need for 'new news', but I suppose Hasbro's gotta keep building hype continuously in order to keep breaking sales records.

What I'm really curious on is if/how much variance there is between the two sets, and whether or not the pokemon-esque split continues in the future - it's (unfortunately) a really easy way to double the amount of packs being opened, assuming equal amounts of chase rare/mythics.

Hopefully they learned from the recent ban-wave succession with Oko, Omnath, and Eldraine's lopsided power level in general, at least.
There are two months between the two Innistrad sets. It isn't a Pokemon situation.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Awesome, super excited for the rotation change, I've only been playing 2022 standard on arena when I'm too gem poor for draft.ive gone back to regular standard a few times and all it takes it one bone crusher for me to nope the fuck out.

Ikoria contributed more than enough with the ultimatums ugh.

fallout

Oct 27, 2017
It really sucks that we're not going to get to see what Ikoria could have contributed to an Eldraine-less meta. But good riddance, two years with Eldraine in the format was enough to get me to stop playing. I'm probably going to dip back in now
I thought Ikoria did alright, but yeah definitely more in a supporting/enabling role. Lurrus and Yorion saw constant play as companions. Obosh showed up occasionally. Genesis Ultimatum was something of a plague for a little while, only to be usurped by Emergent Ultimatum. Winota's still an essential component of some aggro builds. I almost always had Shark Typhoon and Extinction Event in my control decks.

Still, nothing really compares to those Eldraine adventure cards. Almost zero reason not to include them in a deck if you had a spot on curve for them.

Feb 16, 2018
even mutate showed up, but not in the way you expect

i think there's some goldspan dragon infinite combo mutate deck that has been a top 3 standard deck for a while

Innistrad: Midnight Hunt sneak peak
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Midnight Hunt is set during autumn, with the Harvesttide Festival coming up. However, nights are getting unusually long, even for the time of the year, and the werewolves are going crazy. People fear that a neverending night is coming.

magic.wizards.com

A First Look at Innistrad: Midnight Hunt and Innistrad: Crimson Vow | MAGIC: THE GATHERING

A howling-good celebration followed by a wedding party to die for: here's your sneak peek ahead for Magic's 2021 return to Innistrad!

en_u237fbeefe.png
en_s7266sdfss.png

en_Tsj238fhys.png

en_kr7wFIHjUO.png

en_weu238fsdf.png

en_LydEMhtF22.png
en_Bjl6NDThOq.png
en_lBWXtmSom0.png

en_ztyWRIuIDM.png
en_smFKnjiPi5.png

Negator

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a big fan of all those black/red cards they showed and those basic lands are pretty sick.
Too bad they won't be in the bundle.

I'm just looking for what dual lands we will be getting. Really not a big fan of the lands we have in standard right now.

Last edited:

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
I wish they hadn't gotten rid of the booklets (with lore and card images) from the bundles / fat packs. I only buy Innistrad plane cards and really like those five little books.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Strictly better opt and shock, and arguably/almost always better doom blade/go for the throat.

Champion of the perished is kinda hilarious for zombie tribal, and Triskedekaphile is a good callback to its predecessor.

I can see those basics getting quite (relatively) expensive, similar to the all-color theros ones, or some of the un-set full arts.

I wonder which chase dual/triome lands we get tho, though - IIRC the 'tapped duals unless you control an equivalent basic' were (mostly?) in Dominaria, and the amonkhet cycle lands seem unlikely, and innistrad wasn't really about tri-colors.

There are two months between the two Innistrad sets. It isn't a Pokemon situation.

Ah, for some reason I'd thought them to be at the same time, that's my b.

edit:

Apparently there is NO Werewolf commander precon, it's just zombies and humans(maybe witches/coven) for this set, and Vampires and spirits for the vamp set?!?!

WTF wizards, this was your chance to make Werewolves (somewhat) EDH viable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently there is NO Werewolf commander precon, it's just zombies and humans(maybe witches/coven) for this set, and Vampires and spirits for the vamp set?!?!

WTF wizards, this was your chance to make Werewolves (somewhat) EDH viable.
A werewolf commander deck would require a lot of double-faced cards, which I assume is the problem.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
It really sucks that we're not going to get to see what Ikoria could have contributed to an Eldraine-less meta. But good riddance, two years with Eldraine in the format was enough to get me to stop playing. I'm probably going to dip back in now
Ikoria was so broken they had to hastily rework its most defining main mechanic. It's almost as much to blame for the current Standard as Eldraine.

Next Standard looks much lower power but also full of interactions and interesting enough that we won't have another Masques Block mess. Man, that was a bummer.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Masques Block was amazing after Urza's block, but Block Constructed was a thing during that time. I wish that came back as a format since it allows for interesting out-of-the-box deckbuilding restrictions.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Masques Block was amazing after Urza's block, but Block Constructed was a thing during that time. I wish that came back as a format since it allows for interesting out-of-the-box deckbuilding restrictions.

Masques block was many things, but I'm not exactly sure 'amazing' is a word I'd use to describe it.

I do miss blocks though. And small sets.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
It's a good thing they had MH2 this year, or 2021 would be almost a complete whiff for me. A lean into my least favorite mechanic (DFCs) a two-fisted return to my least favorite setting, and a licensed set I have to attachment to with a super parasitic mechanic I will never play outside of the one or two limited games I'll play.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Masques block was many things, but I'm not exactly sure 'amazing' is a word I'd use to describe it.

I do miss blocks though. And small sets.
I built a block constructed midrange deck that used Dark Ritual and Vine Trellis to power a turn 1/3 Thrashing Wumpus, which was a 3/3 with Pestilence as its only ability to combat rebels who were a powerhouse at the time. That and Blastoderm were my win conditions. For me it felt like how MTG was meant to be played: beating up your opponent with a bunch of (shitty) creatures backed up by efficient spells. Not playing Solitaire for a good 10 minutes and decking your opponent with Stroke of Genius for 60.

One block later they printed Flametongue Kavu, Phyrexian Scuta, Spiritmonger, Lightning Angel etc., which started the arms race of creatures and the foundation of modern MTG. Masques paved the way.

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Thrashing Wumpus is so good. I still feel like I'm living the dream every time I get a Wumpus holding a Shadowspear going in edh.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
Fading was interesting (although, not amazing) but confusing enough that Wizards had to make "vanishing" when they revisited the idea, other than that, the only good thing about that block is... Avatar of Woe? Oh, Thrashing Wumpus and Blastoderm, yup, those were the cards. And you can't forget the very fun, and unique Rhystic Study (/s).

Invasion was 'powerful', but not really Urza powerful. I think modern Magic was born with Mirrodin (which, funnily enough, was followed by the very weak and boring Kamigawa block, which admittedly had some fun and amazing cards, but only a few). I could see the argument to say that Onslaught was since it was the first set that appeared alongside paper and digital magic.

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't mean Invasion block was on the same power level as Urza's Saga. What I mean is that Invasion started the focus on designing efficient creatures.

R&D had the brilliant idea that if creatures required different coloured mana to cast, they could make them more powerful to offset the clunky mana costs. Creatures like Meddling Mage, Lightning Angel, Mystic Snake were playable in Extended at the time. Slivers were played too but those decks were restricted to one tribe. Modern Zoo, Jund, Jeskai Control, Grixis Control etc. all trace back to Invasion block. It was succeeded by the successful Ravnica block, which was a more tightly designed multicolour block with much better mana. At a certain point that extended towards EDH's popularity and the creation of the Commander format.

Mirrodin, while powerful, didn't have a multicolour theme. It did introduce equipment though. Other than that, affinity was clearly acknowledged as a mistake so it didn't affect future design as widely as multicolour power creep.

Status
Not open for further replies.