• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Got top 8 at Hydra Tilt, my first top 8 in a big old school event, pretty excited! I leaned into the special event rules that Rock Hydras could grow heads for R instead of RRR with a Hydra/Berserk spin on my normal Erhnam Burn'em, and it actually worked for once. Won at least 3 games with 20+ power trampling angry Hydras, felt good! Stamped prize Fellwar Stone going to do work in my Tattoo 40 (event and prize cards only) deck.

Now probably back to Premodern for a bit on my quest to no longer be the worst player in the world. Really enjoying Deadguy Ale, but it's a deck that requires knowledge of the environment that I don't have, so it's going to be a long road.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Got top 8 at Hydra Tilt, my first top 8 in a big old school event, pretty excited! I leaned into the special event rules that Rock Hydras could grow heads for R instead of RRR with a Hydra/Berserk spin on my normal Erhnam Burn'em, and it actually worked for once. Won at least 3 games with 20+ power trampling angry Hydras, felt good! Stamped prize Fellwar Stone going to do work in my Tattoo 40 (event and prize cards only) deck.

Now probably back to Premodern for a bit on my quest to no longer be the worst player in the world. Really enjoying Deadguy Ale, but it's a deck that requires knowledge of the environment that I don't have, so it's going to be a long road.

It's amazing that I'm fairly well invested in the game and I have literally no idea what you're talking about.

But I am happy you top 8'd! That's always super fun.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing that I'm fairly well invested in the game and I have literally no idea what you're talking about.

But I am happy you top 8'd! That's always super fun.

Lol I actually thought about writing a longer round by round tournament report, but then was like "no one will have any idea what I'm talking about".

Holding out hope one day for the "I play OS too!" post that's probably never coming!

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Hah I think my LGS running weeklies for so long has made me lose perspective of how obscure these formats actually are. Gives me perspective of how much I love my LGS though! <3. There might be a premodern player or two here though, no?

Last edited:
Secret Lair - Miku New
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
www.ign.com

Hatsune Miku is Coming to Magic: The Gathering - IGN

Wizards of the Coast has announced the next Secret Lair collaboration for Magic: The Gathering, and it features android superstar Hatsune Miku.

View: https://twitter.com/MTGSecretLair/status/1785097017401782711

ADKq_NZvpAD5sjhdN3GdZeOaFNvG6NHJMUvBc26HedTyYAMK6S0xzGyrnfvGsTnmpWoYPczYjT7g8co9Bf71MloKZENME6iShzyhrS2-VW7qiaFx5K_Wz4Du5i8mn582f-mtkuQKATPRuwM17lipA2ZNadYGSW-EOoQqCzHRdQj99Juqo9zQpltN0fvIpxrpXoOn=s0-d-e1-ft

Four different Secret Lair drops for Miku, one for each season

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Came back to Arena after a long break and wanted to play Timeless and looked up a new deck. I was so close to using an older decklist and crafting 4 Counterspells with wild cards before realizing Mana Drain is in Timeless now. Phew.

It's so funny to me that Drain is in there now. What an entertaining nightmare.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
MH3 - Reveals in response to leaks New
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

The Modern Horizons 3 Leaks, Nulldrifters, and You

Modern Horizons 3, a set that is the perfect marriage of powerful Magic and powerful memes, is spilling out into the world.

In response to the leaks, Wizards officially revealed all the leaked cards and then some, plus gave more details about how the reveal schedule will go. However, the page is completely broken right now.

The reveal will include new Eldrazi stories and the temporary return of the old Mothership columns: Latest Developments, Command Tower, Savor the Flavor, and From the Lab. Personally, I think they should do this permanently, since once upon a time I used to check the Mothership every day, but now it's just MaRo's articles. But then again, they don't even have enough people to write Planeswalker's Guides now.

Card reveals start May 21, with random reveals before that. Story starts May 13.

en_61925939af.png
en_3e2366eed0.png
en_f7519a9bdd.png

Could be a reason to play Delver of Secrets again

en_42d1a59f25.png
en_f95b1e9b39.png
en_53bdabd1e9.png

New Recurring Nightmare that uses energy

en_57c07f8d57.png
en_b0a27d5a91.png

Very strong with Scion of Draco

en_873d936803.png
en_cdc35d174b.png

Pretty strong, since it can fetch any land. Also new Urza's, even if that doesn't mean anything here.
Zombified Knight of the Reliquary.

en_f3890ed33b.png
en_873cd1038b.png
en_42e88741c9.png

Going to be strong in Limited. Odd art mismatch with the tokens not being goblins too.
This has been strong in Eternal formats, so definitely one to watch out for in Modern.

en_f7d95bff00.png
en_eb744ce0d6.png
en_feaad8689c.png

Strong classic artifact removal brought into Modern.
Cute dog, though the flickering requiring attacking makes it a lot worse.

en_161b57f026.png
en_f689cbc2b8.png

Weaker Mulldrifter, since you don't draw cards from flickering this.

en_16b5fdc330.png
en_f607237485.png
en_f5e70df8a7.png

Interesting legends.

en_97955aa02b.png
en_8ac534cd84.png

New Elemental Blast card, notably hits Leyline of the Guildpact and all nonland permanents while it's out.

en_0c9563dcc1.png
en_9cb3d39fa7.png

One-drop Tarmogoyf with recursion, but notably it only looks at your own graveyard, which is relevant.
Classic reprint of an invitational card. No spider in the art, though.

en_b09a6f9840.png
en_6fb9be93d2.png

Classic and expensive reprint
Winter Orb + Blood Moon. If this finds a place, this is going to annoy a lot of people

Now, these are COMMANDER CARDS that are NOT coming to Modern.

en_8a672f922a.png
en_7407037701.png

Another Siege-Gang Commander reference
Black Farewell

en_37d6718f99.png
en_c6b68fcf1d.png

Interesting
Nearby Planet shifted to the other Limited land and without the basic land types

Only noticed partway through that these are Discord images, so they'll expire with time, but hopefully by then the article images will be working again.

This is still missing some of the leaked cards.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
kappa cannoneer just after the ward discussion. basically hexproof, unblockable, improvise. it's gonna be nasty.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
kappa cannoneer just after the ward discussion. basically hexproof, unblockable, improvise. it's gonna be nasty.

Kappa definitely seems like a 'we gotta sell packs' card - otherwise, agreed that it's very weird to include after the recent 'maybe we went too far on ward' discussion.

(Or maybe the set was just planned too far in advance, idk)

Wight of the Reliquary seems pretty nutty for any Golgari sacrifice/recursion commander (which is most of them) for being able to fish up cabal coffers/Urborg - definitely slotting that into Meren.

edit: Or it can get Field of the dead and just become perpetual sustaining, lmao.

Interesting that they'd reprint Farewell in Black, especially since the person casting it likely has ways to bring back the creatures destroyed (not exiled) - I am curious as to 'why battle' as one of the clauses, considering most of them are unplayable, from what I remember.....meanwhile, the 'lose all counters' is pretty crazy for any experience-based commander.

....What sword color combinations are left, because I assume they'll slide one in there as well.

(Also hope to see fetches come back again, unlikely tho it may be)

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
They did them all. They started a new cycle based on card types instead of colors with OTJ.

Oh right, the no-color one with protection from instants/sorceries and potentially doubling one of your own with combat damage....hm.

There's some exploration to possibly be had, I suppose, to maybe have a 'protection against any multi-color cards' aspect some more, I suppose, and the 'connection' combat damage bonus being more mana, but only of one color/colorless?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
www.mtgfestivals.com

Magic on The Mana Stage!

MagicCon: Amsterdam is on the horizon, and with it comes some of the best panels yet on our Mana Stage! We have amazing content planned throughout the whole weekend, from exciting previews of upcoming cards from Bloomburrow and Duskmourn: House of Horror, to fantastic displays and guest events...

MagicCon Amsterdam (June 28-30) panel schedule is up, and June 28 has previews for Bloomburrow, Duskmourne, and beyond.

And Outlaws of Thunder Junction survey

Outlaws of Thunder Junction survey

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
My Limited opponent cast Make your own luck T5 with ZERO mountains, plotted CALAMITY with it, then hard-cast Bonny Pall T6, played the plotted Calamity, sattled Bonny Pall and.... i just had to kind of sit there and stare at wtf I just witnessed

Last edited:

Pundere

Oct 30, 2017
Lots of mono-colored edh decks already run higher than average colorless lands/rocks so Null Elemental Blast will probably be great there

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
My Limited opponent cast Make your own luck T5 with ZERO mountains, plotted CALAMITY with it, then hard-cast Bonny Pall T6, played the plotted Calamity, sattled Bonny Pall and.... i just had to kind of sit there and stare at wtf I just witnessed
Well they couldn't actually have done *that* given that Calamity can only make copies of a nonlegendary creature. Calamity is still a messed up magic card obviously :p

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Well they couldn't actually have done *that* given that Calamity can only make copies of a nonlegendary creature. Calamity is still a messed up magic card obviously :p

Sorry, I think they might have chosen the cow. I all but smashed the concede button when calamity came down because them getting a double red card plotted for free with NO MOUNTAINS ON THE BOARD was just too much luck for me to handle. I assumed they were gonna saddle the Bonny but you're right, that wouldn't have worked. I still would've lost :D

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
7 wins is sometimes just that easy. shoutout to the big old wurm for instant speed pumping my cow. pest infestation is pretty great too. even if you don't blow anything up getting a bunch of 1/1 chumpers late game or enabling any saddle 1 mounts easily is nice

lp25FjH.png

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Sorry, I think they might have chosen the cow. I all but smashed the concede button when calamity came down because them getting a double red card plotted for free with NO MOUNTAINS ON THE BOARD was just too much luck for me to handle. I assumed they were gonna saddle the Bonny but you're right, that wouldn't have worked. I still would've lost :D
The cow is also legendary actually :p

But yeah, I also got blown out by Calamity on Arena recently. That card can be an insurmountable amount of value, AND it has haste? It's Chimney Rabble cranked up to 11

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
The cow is also legendary actually :p

But yeah, I also got blown out by Calamity on Arena recently. That card can be an insurmountable amount of value, AND it has haste? It's Chimney Rabble cranked up to 11

So you're telling me I conceded for nothing against Bonny, Cow and Calamity on the board T6? :D

Okay I guess it wasn't AS bad as I thought when I conceded if he couldn't have used those to crew anyway, but... I definitely still would've lost :D

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
So you're telling me I conceded for nothing against Bonny, Cow and Calamity on the board T6? :D

Okay I guess it wasn't AS bad as I thought when I conceded if he couldn't have used those to crew anyway, but... I definitely still would've lost :D

Plus Bonny is an attack trigger. Her copies wouldn't trigger it. You'd probably still have lost but you hadn't lost yet haha.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I love Make Your Own Luck. Twice in a row I've cast a free turn 6 Cruel Ultimatum with zero red mana. Fantastic.

Easy 7 wins. Green is just absolutely disgusting. I'm having a lot of luck with UG.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
California
I really like that new 1 drop Black goyf creature coming out in MH3.

It's the Yugioh player in me and I absolutely love cards you can play from the graveyard, it's going straight into my Esper Delve Canadian Highlander deck.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I really like that new 1 drop Black goyf creature coming out in MH3.

It's the Yugioh player in me and I absolutely love cards you can play from the graveyard, it's going straight into my Esper Delve Canadian Highlander deck.

Ooo Canlander, some of the locals are trying to get that going. Looks fun, with the variety of EDH but without the silly politics. I'll probably make RG aggro at some point.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Nice that it's finally getting an official English translation.
The card will likely be Wrath of God with art from the manga.

Oct 28, 2017
California
Ooo Canlander, some of the locals are trying to get that going. Looks fun, with the variety of EDH but without the silly politics. I'll probably make RG aggro at some point.

I LOVE Canlander, it's my favorite format (wish WOTC would make it an official format) just sucks that all the locals I go to, no one plays it.

I prefer it a lot more than Commander, since games are lot more grindier.

Sep 5, 2021

The cards must be the same as the Japanese version. Here the list:

mtgrocks.com

MTG Manga Series Announces New Reprint Never Before Seen in Foil!

Destroy All Humanity releases a new promotional card that has never seen a foil printing! Here is a list of all the Manga Promo cards!

Diabolic Edict – Volume 1
Shock – Volume 2
Duress – Volume 3
Voltaic Key – Volume 4
Dark Ritual – Volume 5
Crop Rotation – Volume 6
Counterspell – Volume 7
Bone Shredder – Volume 8
Disenchant – Volume 9
Wild Growth – Volume 10
Frantic Search – Volume 11
Worn Powerstone – Volume 12
Avalanche Riders – Volume 13
Culling the Weak – Volume 14
Snuff Out – Volume 15

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
The cards must be the same as the Japanese version. Here the list:

mtgrocks.com

MTG Manga Series Announces New Reprint Never Before Seen in Foil!

Destroy All Humanity releases a new promotional card that has never seen a foil printing! Here is a list of all the Manga Promo cards!

Diabolic Edict – Volume 1
Shock – Volume 2
Duress – Volume 3
Voltaic Key – Volume 4
Dark Ritual – Volume 5
Crop Rotation – Volume 6
Counterspell – Volume 7
Bone Shredder – Volume 8
Disenchant – Volume 9
Wild Growth – Volume 10
Frantic Search – Volume 11
Worn Powerstone – Volume 12
Avalanche Riders – Volume 13
Culling the Weak – Volume 14
Snuff Out – Volume 15

It's too bad these promos are in Japanese.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
I LOVE Canlander, it's my favorite format (wish WOTC would make it an official format) just sucks that all the locals I go to, no one plays it.

I prefer it a lot more than Commander, since games are lot more grindier.

Excited to find a fellow obscure format enjoyer. And reminded once again how ridiculously lucky I am to have an LGS within walking distance with a critical mass of people to support these formats.

I think I'll go ahead and build a deck. Do you know if tournaments allow Collectors Edition and World Championship cards? These legacy formats usually do, but I couldn't find a clear answer one way or another.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Excited to find a fellow obscure format enjoyer. And reminded once again how ridiculously lucky I am to have an LGS within walking distance with a critical mass of people to support these formats.

I think I'll go ahead and build a deck. Do you know if tournaments allow Collectors Edition and World Championship cards? These legacy formats usually do, but I couldn't find a clear answer one way or another.

Depends on the store. You'll have to call and ask. It's not sanctioned so they might allow it.

Sparse

Oct 27, 2017
Went to my first draft, and my third pack had a mana drain. Didn't get to play it much, but two rush of dreads plus crime activation cards cards were clutch.

Jer

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the store. You'll have to call and ask. It's not sanctioned so they might allow it.

Yeah I know stores can do whatever, I meant more what the community standard was for major events (to the extent that there are major events). But it looks like even the "championship" allows 10 proxies, so non-issue. Man the format looks fun. Leaning toward building Naya Monsters, looks like my kind of deck, ramp into big scary creatures.

Oct 28, 2017
California

I WISH CanLander was a lot bigger

If you're looking for good CanLander content, try LRRMTG, they mostly focus on Canlander https://www.youtube.com/@LRRMTG/videos

Oct 29, 2017
USA
I did two more Quick Drafts today to pass some time. The results pretty much summarize my experience with this set.

First I went 0-3 with a godawful W/R/G deck. My packs had nothing for me to work with and it showed.

Then I went 7-2 with a B/R Outlaw deck. I had all the needed enchantments and ran all outlaws except for a Calamity which was my first pick.

Secret Lair - Spring Superdrop 2024 New
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
magic.wizards.com

Secret Lair Spring Superdrop 2024

Spring is in the air, and Secret Lair is full of blossoming foils and non-foils.

You get this if you spent $200
sld_promo_spring_2024_seedborn_muse_tv04bqr2oodq.png

Secret Lair x Hatsune Miku: Sakura Superstar

www.youtube.com

【MV】Harmonize by Manbo-P feat. Hatsune Miku【Secret Lair Collab - Spring】

Hatsune Miku x Secret Lair Collaboration Sakura Superstar Drop Music Video『Harmonize』Music & Lyrics: Manbo-PIllustrations: hatahiroMovie: MienohitoThe world'...

SL2024_MikuRenowned_8sktd5dz5svi.png
SL2024_InspiringVantage_1mnso10w8lfe.png

Goblingram

BrashTaunter_9pyjonj7o389.png
GRingleader_gvvslqw1dio5.png

Outlaw Anthology Vol. 1: Rebellious Renegades

Griselbrand_cxun4qyfib7k.png
NicolBolas_cibs2s5gk1b8.png

Outlaw Anthology Vol. 2: Sinister Scoundrels

Vorinclex_89a8n2f3pjix.png
Karona_2aw305vzylyd.png

Showcase: Outlaws of Thunder Junction

Magda_5kl0ymm1sqfr.png
DFayden_yl7v2p2x1tn7.png

Poker Faces

CQueen_bt4q1b7vfokm.png
Rankle_pdz0naxs8bge.png

sAnS mERcY

kq7qavp4gvck.png
qxlwxs987t44.png

~~~

And got the preview schedule for Modern Horizons III
magic.wizards.com

Where to Find Modern Horizons 3 Previews

Ready yourself for Modern Horizons 3 debut with all the card preview sources right here.