• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Man, I hadn't played Explorer in months and wanted to get back into, so I found an up-to-date list for Izzet Phoenix, which is one of my favorite decks in the format. Treasure Cruise is a little busted, huh?

I'd head it's at the top of a lot of peoples' list of cards they want banned, and obviously it's extremely powerful just looking it, but I really underestimated how easy it is to cast it for a single blue multiple times per game. I've only played 5-ish games with it, so maybe I'm missing something, but I'm blown away this hasn't been banned yet.

I've also been having a blast in draft, looks like overall sentiment online is pretty mixed, but I've had some great games. It can feel bomb-heavy, and I've definitely had games where one player just absolutely stream-rolled the other, but overall there's enough removal that there's always some back and forth. I'm not completely sure how I feel about the power level, it feels like in almost every game there's multiple cards that feel like they're going to take the game over if they're not immediately dealt with. But it's my favorite draft set so far I'm liking it more than the last few sets.

I got to see an awesome play last night, my opponent had two creatures, I cast a Detention Sphere targeting one and they sacrified their Voracious Varmint to blow up the Sphere with the ability still on the stack. Guess they hadn't seen that interaction before, or didn't think it through.

Cactarantula is quickly becoming my most-hated card in the set. Really feels like that could/ should have been uncommon.

Last edited:

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Man, I hadn't played Explorer in months and wanted to get back into, so I found an up-to-date list for Izzet Phoenix, which is one of my favorite decks in the format. Treasure Cruise is a little busted, huh?

I'd head it's at the top of a lot of peoples' list of cards they want banned, and obviously it's extremely powerful just looking it, but I really underestimated how easy it is to cast it for a single blue multiple times per game. I've only played 5-ish games with it, so maybe I'm missing something, but I'm blown away this hasn't been banned yet.

I've also been having a blast in draft, looks like overall sentiment online is pretty mixed, but I've had some great games. It can feel bomb-heavy, and I've definitely had games where one player just absolutely stream-rolled the other, but overall there's enough removal that there's always some back and forth. I'm not completely sure how I feel about the power level, it feels like in almost every game there's multiple cards that feel like they're going to take the game over if they're not immediately dealt with. But it's my favorite draft set so far I'm liking it more than the last few sets.

I got to see an awesome play last night, my opponent had two creatures, I cast a Detention Sphere targeting one and they sacrified their Voracious Varmint to blow up the Sphere with the ability still on the stack. Guess they hadn't seen that interaction before, or didn't think it through.

Cactarantula is quickly becoming my most-hated card in the set. Really feels like that could/ should have been uncommon.

I don't think a ban is remotely justified. Cruise does make Phoenix relevant, and the archetype is strong, but it's far from overwhelmingly dominant — it's not even the strongest archetype. The deck is also very vulnerable to sideboard hate so I can't see it ever getting out of control.

Cruise itself is very good in that deck, but I think you're overlooking the fact that the deck's entire gameplan is filling the graveyard. Other decks aren't able to do that effectively, which is why you'll find Cruise is not played in any other blue decks. That's a pretty telling sign that a ban is unnecessary.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Does Arena have anything for getting back into standard after a multi year break? It has starter decks but those are mostly not legal in the format, so it looks like all I have to start is 3 packs of each set.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think a ban is remotely justified. Cruise does make Phoenix relevant, and the archetype is strong, but it's far from overwhelmingly dominant — it's not even the strongest archetype. The deck is also very vulnerable to sideboard hate so I can't see it ever getting out of control.

Cruise itself is very good in that deck, but I think you're overlooking the fact that the deck's entire gameplan is filling the graveyard. Other decks aren't able to do that effectively, which is why you'll find Cruise is not played in any other blue decks. That's a pretty telling sign that a ban is unnecessary.

Yeah, that's fair. I understand it's not played in any other decks, but it's just so easy to do it in Phoenix.

But yeah, I guess if the deck isn't dominant it doesn't really matter if it has a ridiculous card in it. It just feels wild being able to easily cast an Ancestral Recall (kinda) multiple times per game. But I suppose you could say the same thing about casting Parhelion for free in Greasefang, or cheating Vein Ripper into play, or whatever.

Does Arena have anything for getting back into standard after a multi year break? It has starter decks but those are mostly not legal in the format, so it looks like all I have to start is 3 packs of each set.

If you like to draft, I think that's the best thing to do. If you're able to consistently perform decently you'll quickly collect the current set and rack up wildcards.

If you don't like to draft, my understanding is that just buying pack to earn progress toward golden packs is the best thing to do.

I suppose technically you can always buy the wildcards you need for a deck, but it's extremely expensive, I would never do that for a Standard deck.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018
But yeah, I guess if the deck isn't dominant

deck is extremely dominant

the only non-meme deck that's good against it (lotus field combo) doesn't exist on arena

the best strategy in constructed is to win game 1, which is basically free for the ancestral recall deck because the graveyard is safe in game 1
and blue has the best sideboard cards in general, so game 2 & 3 aren't that bad either

not really

i think they refresh the starter decks every rotation (this year's rotation was skipped), but those cards are too underpowered to use anyways

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
A short story in 3 parts:

249eWBM.png

Brawler + 5/5 from 5 lands tumbleweed + 10/10 "highest power X/X" tumbleweed

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
A classic, lmao. Yeah this combo is devastating in draft or sealed.

It's self-evident that according to 17lands, Railway Brawler is... I think the 2nd biggest bomb in the draft? Next to the Mythic Cactus that makes food tokens (who i think is 3rd) and the legendary that creates a huge cow (who I think is #1), forgot the details though.

Either way Green is OP.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
the archetype is strong, but it's far from overwhelmingly dominant

deck is extremely dominant

Hmmmm... lol.

Like I said, I haven't followed the format. If the deck really is extremely dominant, then yeah, I'm back to being surprised that Cruise isn't banned.

I will say it's been stomping people in Ranked. I haven't been keeping track of my win rate, but I'm definitely winning WAY more than I'm losing.

Last edited:

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Hmmmm... lol.

Like I said, I haven't followed the format. If the deck really is extremely dominant, then yeah, I'm back to being surprised that Cruise isn't banned.

I will say it's been stomping people in Ranked. I haven't been keeping track of my win rate, but I'm definitely winning WAY more than I'm losing.

It's a tier 1. It'll win a lot. But it is not dominant. It's not even the best deck. Vampires is stronger.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Is there some kind of unwritten rule for brawl that you're not supposed to play a mono blue deck?

I haven't had any trouble with any of my decks that I have made until now. I made a Thassa Deep Dwelling deck and now suddenly nobody wants to play. I've had multiple opponents concede before the game even starts. 2 Atraxa decks conceded before turn 4.

I get that Blue is annoying but are people just not supposed to play it? Even in Bo1 I didn't run into this many scoops this fast.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Is there some kind of unwritten rule for brawl that you're not supposed to play a mono blue deck?

I haven't had any trouble with any of my decks that I have made until now. I made a Thassa Deep Dwelling deck and now suddenly nobody wants to play. I've had multiple opponents concede before the game even starts. 2 Atraxa decks conceded before turn 4.

I get that Blue is annoying but are people just not supposed to play it? Even in Bo1 I didn't run into this many scoops this fast.

it's an unranked mode and people want to have fun. if they're not they're much more likely to concede and go on to the next game

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, finally, finally got my Doctor Who Secret Lair, so I'm almost ready to build my Fourteenth Doctor/Rose Noble deck... as soon as those singles I ordered arrive. I figured a WURG deck would make for an interesting EDH deckbuilding challenge, with my deck's major theme being "historic matters" (a consequence of running mostly Doctor Who legends). Besides, with the Fourteenth Doctor's ability to become any Doctor (or Changeling) gives the deck a unique, chaotic element.

Last edited:

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Person to my left is gonna be VERY confused by me passing this to them and then no other green cards...

ovUqhqc.png

Oct 29, 2017
USA
Yesterday evening I faced someone who pulled both Okos in their Sealed pool. It was my first time facing Thief of Crowns and I quickly learned why it's so broken.

But I had a Jund deck with Terror of the Peaks, Roxanne, big beaters, and graveyard recursion so I still won that match 2-1. I tore through everyone else and never lost a match. Pulling a big guy back onto the field and having it fight something while also sending more damage elsewhere was a sight to behold.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday evening I faced someone who pulled both Okos in their Sealed pool. It was my first time facing Thief of Crowns and I quickly learned why it's so broken.

But I had a Jund deck with Terror of the Peaks, Roxanne, big beaters, and graveyard recursion so I still won that match 2-1. I tore through everyone else and never lost a match. Pulling a big guy back onto the field and having it fight something while also sending more damage elsewhere was a sight to behold.

Terror of the Peaks is nuts. If it doesn't get removed before it can attack it's game over.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I got Roxanne 10th pick yesterday and still almost but her. I've never lost to her and never seen her do well. The data speaks for itself but man I just don't see it.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
I got Roxanne 10th pick yesterday and still almost but her. I've never lost to her and never seen her do well. The data speaks for itself but man I just don't see it.

Give her haste and she's a big body for 5 that deals 4 damage ETB and creates two mana rocks. That's nuts. Even without haste she's a free meteorite with a decent body.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Give her haste and she's a big body for 5 that deals 4 damage ETB and creates two mana rocks. That's nuts. Even without haste she's a free meteorite with a decent body.

She's a 4/3 for 5. That's an okay body in a vacuum but it's below rate. It trades with 2-drops and the meteorite can't kill a 3-drop. Sure she's better if you give her haste, but that's true of most creatures. She feels like a win-more card, not an actual bomb to turn the tide.

I kinda feel like her stats are misleading. She wins a lot if you draw her, but that's because RG wins a lot, period. You're just more likely to win because she's supported by better cards.

Like yesterday I had someone play her turn 4 and reanimate her turn 5. She killed no creatures and couldn't attack afterwards because I had a couple 3-drops.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
She's a 4/3 for 5. That's an okay body in a vacuum but it's below rate. It trades with 2-drops and the meteorite can't kill a 3-drop. Sure she's better if you give her haste, but that's true of most creatures. She feels like a win-more card, not an actual bomb to turn the tide.

I kinda feel like her stats are misleading. She wins a lot if you draw her, but that's because RG wins a lot, period. You're just more likely to win because she's supported by better cards.

Like yesterday I had someone play her turn 4 and reanimate her turn 5. She killed no creatures and couldn't attack afterwards because I had a couple 3-drops.

If she only won a lot because RG wins a lot, she wouldn't be THE highest winrate RG card.

Smiley90

Oct 25, 2017
She's not. There are multiple green cards ahead of her! Jolene is definitely like actively bad.

I said highest win rate RG card, obviously not highest G. If it was just RG winning she wouldn't be the highest RG card. Obviously green is very strong, but even among green cards she's pretty strong. And green makes splashing for her very easy - and she's the second highest green-splash card.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I found Roxanne very good for mana ramping if she drops early enough. One or two meteorites set me up for good. The damage was just a bonus. She either died or the game ended before I ever got more than three.

SnugTeam6

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Been dabbling back in Magic for the first time in many, many years, and I'm having a blast! Relearning many mechanics, or "new" ones from the past 15+ years has been such a fun challenge. I've been drafting OTJ and loving it.

I even joined my city's Magic Discord and might do some in-person stuff if I can find time between work and grad school.

Feb 16, 2018
in addition to the other broken abilities, roxanne is also mana-fixing

many decks are 3 or 4 colors, so the meteorites are clutch

Feb 16, 2018
finished about 50 OTJ drafts

play boosters suck, but it's nice to have a more normal format where the majority of games are about assembling card/board advantages instead of being decided by aggro curveouts

now i want to see if they can achieve that in a set with more flying / equipment / combat tricks and less removal

or perhaps this set should be the norm, and all the other sets have been allocating too much power in fliers

pioneer

May 31, 2022
Playing a 4c deck in draft right now that's base black because I got P1P1 and P1P3 Rush of Dreads, and in my first game I didn't see either of them despite drawing 36 of my 40 cards 😂 I still narrowly won the game, but damn.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I haven't had much success with 3+ color decks. 17lands analytics suggest they're a bit worse. The fixing is easy but the lack of synergy seems damning a lot of the time. A small splash in a 2-color deck seems ideal if you do it at all. But you probably shouldn't.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Wizards of the Coast Japan on fire with its tie in videos again

www.youtube.com

【日本限定】カウボーイビバップ×マジック:ザ・ギャザリング オープニングオマージュトレーラー

昨年記念すべきテレビ放送25周年目を迎えたサンライズ作品カウボーイビバップとの奇跡のコラボレーション映像、「カウボーイビバップ×マジック:ザ・ギャザリング オープニングオマージュトレーラー」をこのたび日本限定で特別公開! 作品の代名詞的存在であるテレビシリーズ版のオープニング(楽曲:「Tank!」)を『サンダー・...
magic.wizards.com

Announcing Cowboy Bebop Collaboration Promo Cards

To celebrate Outlaws of Thunder Junction, we have a special collaboration with the beloved Japanese animation, Cowboy Bebop, coming to Standard Showdown events starting in August!

Cowboy Bebop promos you can win at Standard Showdown events starting August 2 (which is when Bloomburrow releases)

5k0r22jbwji3.png
55gv0vqcy1li.png

cyx0zxxetrxy.png
cjewxz3fvh1e.png

c4u1w1agpz52.png

pioneer

May 31, 2022
I haven't had much success with 3+ color decks. 17lands analytics suggest they're a bit worse. The fixing is easy but the lack of synergy seems damning a lot of the time. A small splash in a 2-color deck seems ideal if you do it at all. But you probably shouldn't.

I've had good success with them, but most often it is splashing more than truly a multicolor deck. For example I'm 5-1 in my current draft with 11B, 8G, 4W and 3R pip counts, 6 nonlands and 7 lands that fix. I love drafting decks like this and haven't really been able to since DMU.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

The Future of Ward! | Magic: The Gathering Outlaws of Thunder Junction MTG

Thanks for watching Good Morning Magic! If you enjoyed the episode, it'd mean a lot to me if you subscribed: it only takes one click, and helps grow the chan...

They're going to pull back on how much ward they use, as they've been throwing it around places they shouldn't have (Voja being the big example). Ward is particularly a problem for red decks, since it can take multiple Shocks to kill a creature with ward and they have to pay the cost every time.

The way Gavin will handle it in the future is:
* Ward 1 is nice to have and matters more in Constructed than Limited, but they shouldn't just use it willy nilly
* Ward 2 is what they'll use for things they want to survive a turn or two to do something neat. Disguise is an example of this, though Gavin himself wonders if ward 1 would have been better.
* They'll almost never use ward 3, but when they do, it should be on a big expensive creature.
* Ward 4 is for when they effectively want hexproof, but something the opponent theoretically can get past.
* He likes non-mana ward costs that your opponent can reasonably pay, like life and "discard a card". Other non-mana ward costs like "sacrifice a creature" will be used sparingly.

All of this will be years in the future, though.

Also, going to move this thread to Hangouts.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

Thanks for watching Good Morning Magic! If you enjoyed the episode, it'd mean a lot to me if you subscribed: it only takes one click, and helps grow the chan...

They're going to pull back on how much ward they use, as they've been throwing it around places they shouldn't have (Voja being the big example). Ward is particularly a problem for red decks, since it can take multiple Shocks to kill a creature with ward and they have to pay the cost every time.

* Ward 1 is nice to have and matters more in Constructed than Limited, but they shouldn't just use it willy nilly
* Ward 2 is what they'll use for things they want to survive a turn or two to do something neat. Disguise is an example of this, though Gavin himself wonders if ward 1 would have been better.
* They'll almost never use ward 3, but when they do, it should be on a big expensive creature.
* Ward 4 is for when they effectively want hexproof, but something the opponent theoretically can get past.
* He likes non-mana ward costs that your opponent can reasonably pay, like life and "discard a card". Other non-mana ward costs like "sacrifice a creature" will be used sparingly.

are there any cards on arena that have ward 4? maybe it's a commander thing. i do agree that non mana ward costs are nice.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
scryfall.com

oracle:"ward {4}" (game:arena)

3 Magic cards found where the text includes “ward {4}” and (the card is available on Arena)

oh right forgot about that dragon and i remember the cave guard being annoying in momir

0fb52b44-da5f-4f7a-a6c2-7924b855e051.jpg

But it's otherwise been Commander, yes. This card has caused major problems in eternal formats.

85a89077-b384-4fca-9d26-7297962c1541.jpg

why can't we get turtle kaiju with a giant cannon on its back in standard? come on wotc

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.youtube.com

Can't say that I like this change. Ward being more common has made it to where you could actually play creatures again. There for a bit it felt like I couldn't play creature deck at all.

At least it won't really take effect in awhile. Some sets are already made and rotation being the way it is means we won't feel the change for at least a couple of years.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Kappa Cannoneer absolutely had (has?) a run with affinity decks....though to be honest, who thought giving improvise (read: affinity) along with pseudo-hexproof + pump + unblockable was a good idea is somewhat beyond me.

Voja is also a super weird card to stick ward 3 on, still can't believe that went to print with how much value it otherwise generates on a commander (i.e. guaranteed)

Even if you kill it and burn 4+ mana (i.e. your whole turn, or at the least, a huge tempo swing), then they just abuse the elf mana dorks the deck wants to play anyways and re-cast it, then use one of red/green's haste enablers to go right back at it.

Unless someone has counter magic or a board wipe, it's going to stick around for a fair bit.