• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So the best answer for the WAR Teferi is... your own WAR Teferi? It feels pretty much compulsory in a control mirror unless you never want to counter anything again.

Xequalsy

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Karn is baaaaaaad.

Can't even use it in Death & Taxes because of the artifact restriction. Unless you want to animate Aether Vial lol

Chandra is quite good I think. Deals 5 damage at the very least and can get value in the meantime.
Karn is good in other formats.

Whirl Prison - he tutors for lock pieces depending on board state, is a solo permanent lock piece (wish for Mycosynth Lattice = opp lands can't be tapped, turns off artifact removal for stuff like O-stone). Can snipe opposing 0 CMC artifacts.

etc...

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This set has the potential of becoming the best set or a big clusterfuck. No in-between.

Also, that Ajani will get a lot of price when it comes out. The fact you win 3 life every turn + vigilance to creatures + you can put +1/+1 counters to any of your creatures will make the token decks stronger.

Edit: Okay what?

Yes to this card. Should be fun hijinks with Expansion//Explosion.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
It would be funny if every Planeswalker whose design includes only a minus loyalty ability corresponds to one that dies or loses their spark.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
That trailer got 4.5 mil views in a day? Is that...normal?
I thought the trailer was kinda bad but everyone at the store I was playing at yesterday was super excited for it, watching it over and over. People in the panel audience were crying. I'm happy for the game that people are pumped, but I guess I'm just missing something.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone that was at PAX and attended the panel for this yesterday, you have no idea how weird it felt when I realized the lyrics/song was a cover for Linkin Park. I looked around in confusion, asking myself what year it was, and if anybody else in attendance was having the same reaction. Such a strange song choice.

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Quite bad for a 4 mana counter

I mean, it's almost a mystic snake. Sure, there's an out if your opponent pays two but the mana cost is also relaxed.

That trailer got 4.5 mil views in a day? Is that...normal?

No. The most viewed trailer on the MTG Youtube other than War of the Spark is actually Kaladesh, at 1.6 mill views.

ThLunarian

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So the best answer for the WAR Teferi is... your own WAR Teferi? It feels pretty much compulsory in a control mirror unless you never want to counter anything again.

You'll still never be able to counter anything again. Your own Teferi doesn't trump your opponent's static ability.

Of course, they won't be able to counter anything either. You'll just both be playing your own turns free of interruption

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
The trailer's pretty decent as a stand-alone work and has this sort of strong implication of an "Infinity War" sort of epic long-awaited event, which is exactly how the tons of people coming in with Arena are probably perceiving it, since they haven't really been around the last 25 years to know how little of it any of what's happening here has anything to do with.

I say let 'em have it. At least someone's excited about Magic lore stuff, and it was never going to be me.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You'll still never be able to counter anything again. Your own Teferi doesn't trump your opponent's static ability.

Of course, they won't be able to counter anything either. You'll just both be playing your own turns free of interruption

That's a disturbing thought. In any case it's at least a mandatory sideboard card, if not mainboard, for any UW deck. Or ANY deck at all with Interplanar Beacon.

Oct 28, 2017
To be fair, if those leaked cards are real, then Karn and Teferi are already better than all of the mythic walkers we've seen so far. Maybe if Ugin is "bad" he'll be cheaper at least.

Gideon is easily better than both of those. He's going to be a massive beater. Mono white will be back with a vengeance until at least September with him around.

That's a disturbing thought. In any case it's at least a mandatory sideboard card, if not mainboard, for any UW deck. Or ANY deck at all with Interplanar Beacon.

I don't think so. I'm not even convinced it's particularly good. Control decks aren't necessarily interested in preventing the enemy from casting responsive instants most of the time. It would hate against a deck like Temur Reclamation pretty hard, but otherwise it doesn't really do that much. I would never mainboard it and I would be hesitant to play it sideboard in any non-combo deck. I don't think it's an appropriate card for a maindeck control deck at all. I'd run it sideboard only if control is rampant.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I don't think so. I'm not even convinced it's particularly good. Control decks aren't necessarily interested in preventing the enemy from casting responsive instants most of the time. It would hate against a deck like Temur Reclamation pretty hard, but otherwise it doesn't really do that much. I would never mainboard it and I would be hesitant to play it sideboard in any non-combo deck. I don't think it's an appropriate card for a maindeck control deck at all. I'd run it sideboard only if control is rampant.

I'm mostly used to control from a "getting beaten by it" perspective, so maybe I'm overvaluing a card that effectively shuts down dedicated counterspells.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
He isn't in this set but MaRo says they have plans for him to in the future.
Correct. MaRo's justification is sound, too: A Planeswalker hunter / slayer would probably not be conducive to Bolas's plans.

That being said, I think I read that Garruk does factor into the novel.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So now planeswalkers have a static ability, like an enchantment, and get additional activated abilities on their turns? Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm mostly used to control from a "getting beaten by it" perspective, so maybe I'm overvaluing a card that effectively shuts down dedicated counterspells.

First, you have to consider what kind of decks you're going to play this in. Mainly, it will be decks vulnerable to instant-speed interruption that can afford to have do-nothing turns. So I think Mono-Blue probably wouldn't run this. A blue combo deck could find it useful and a control deck could find it a bit less useful as the only instant speed interaction a control deck cares about is a counterspell most of the time (obviously the few permanents they have are also worthy of instant speed interaction, though I think oftentimes those can be handled at sorcery speed if needed). So, with combo and control in mind...

There's a significant chance this does absolutely nothing if you put it in maindeck. You'd never do that.

As a sideboard card, it's clearly very good against an instant-speed combo deck like Temur Reclamation and any Nexus Reclamation decks still floating around. If any new combo decks pop up, chances are it's good against those as well. Against control it's useful, and if I had it in my sideboard I'd certainly sideboard it in, but I think I'd rather just have more counterspells so that I can stop their Teferi from coming down.

I think you're overvaluing this as a piece in a control deck against another control deck. It is extremely good against a combo deck though and also playable if you are a combo deck.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So now planeswalkers have a static ability, like an enchantment, and get additional activated abilities on their turns? Mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
For this set. We are going back to normal after, though MaRo said static abilities on Planeswalkers will remain a tool they can use from now on.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear they have plans for Garruk. He was my first planeswalker that I ever got in paper magic.

Sep 14, 2018
Some really strong cards today, edict with upside, non sacrifice proliferate on land, 3cmc teferi, seems like a good set to me.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wanderer's Strike seems like it could be pretty bad overall, but a good fit for my "fuck all creatures" extreme anti-aggro white deck

ZealousD

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gideon is easily better than both of those. He's going to be a massive beater. Mono white will be back with a vengeance until at least September with him around.

Doesn't Gideon have a lot of tension with History of Benalia and Benalish Marshal in the current white weenie decks? He feels like he might be stronger in a white midrange deck.

I feel like Esper Hero would love to have little Teferi, as a sideboard card against control if nothing else.

Wanderer's Strike seems like it could be pretty bad overall, but a good fit for my "fuck all creatures" extreme anti-aggro white deck

Wanderer's Strike is a common. That's a premium removal spell in limited. Very splashable PLUS proliferate.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wanderer is really solid. Interesting to me that they did "no Planeswalker type" before "two Planeswalkers on one card."

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking that was the first time I'd seen rules text referencing "planeswalker dies" and that being a foreshadowy thing, but they'd actually done it once before on Ajani's Last Stand.

Sep 14, 2018
Carthago Delenda Est Kaya sees mainboard play and she rarely does anything, this Teferi is good enough as a one of or 2, you skipped over his bounce ability or letting you flash in a wrath. And 3cmc makes it cheap enough to be good vs mono blue, can even protect himself.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
First, you have to consider what kind of decks you're going to play this in. Mainly, it will be decks vulnerable to instant-speed interruption that can afford to have do-nothing turns. So I think Mono-Blue probably wouldn't run this. A blue combo deck could find it useful and a control deck could find it a bit less useful as the only instant speed interaction a control deck cares about is a counterspell most of the time (obviously the few permanents they have are also worthy of instant speed interaction, though I think oftentimes those can be handled at sorcery speed if needed). So, with combo and control in mind...

There's a significant chance this does absolutely nothing if you put it in maindeck. You'd never do that.

As a sideboard card, it's clearly very good against an instant-speed combo deck like Temur Reclamation and any Nexus Reclamation decks still floating around. If any new combo decks pop up, chances are it's good against those as well. Against control it's useful, and if I had it in my sideboard I'd certainly sideboard it in, but I think I'd rather just have more counterspells so that I can stop their Teferi from coming down.

I think you're overvaluing this as a piece in a control deck against another control deck. It is extremely good against a combo deck though and also playable if you are a combo deck.

Never thought about it that way, thanks for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.