Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
FFXVI gameplay (or at least my assumption of it) is actually seemingly closer to something like DMC than even ARPG. I personally don't mind because turn based ,semi-turn based or even ARPG combat needs to be really good to be engaging and not braindead, but I guess this is becoming a very big departure for the series since FFXV.

Looking at the gifs, I would easily believe this was from some new unnanounced action game developed by Capcom.
Your thoughts?

4fg14x.gif

4fg1ej.gif

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Animations look great.

Can't wait to see the combat with the UI though, see what the options are.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
There are other turn based RPGs so I don't mind too much. Final Fantasy has always been shifting with its battle systems, anyway.

Honestly, the only thing I really hope is that it's accessible to a lot of people.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care, just put a little more care in balancing your game... your previous effort are garbage.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
I'll judge it after I play it but I didn't love FFXV or VII combat. Hopefully it will be much better since Nomura ain't touching this one.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly not expecting it to be that much different than XV in that department. I also very much enjoyed XV's mechanics so I'm good with that.

Aran

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I personally love it, glad that they have the warping mechanic in the game as I loved it in FFXV,

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan. It looks like there won't be a party at all which is really disappointing.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Not happy about it. I LOVE ff7rs battle system though so if it's anything like that I'll end up digging it.

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I expected this for years. Final Fantasy is their main global franchise and they don't want to fall behind in trends. Turn based games can still be great but have a lower ceiling with sales in comparison to action-based games. This is the right direction to try to keep the franchise relevant and in the upper echelon. XV and VIIR showed us that action is what they want to use going forward and XVI leaning in on it potentially even harder, is no surprise at all. I'm good with it.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't enjoyed Final Fantasy as much since they moved away from turn based, so I'm disappointed. I understand the decision though, as I'm clearly in the minority.

Oct 27, 2017
Im cautiously optimistic. Just dont fuck it up like FF15s combat. I played hours and hours of FF15 combat and I felt like I never understood it at all. Felt like shit. FF7R on the other hand I picked it up and it just got better and better, especially when you got good at countering/switching and such.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Could be a good change of pace, if it doesn't work they can always go back for the next iteration.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boy, I sure miss turn-based RPGs.

idk i don't come to FF for this, and would rather just leave it to the games that excel at it already

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
It sucks. Not neccesarily in any individual game - I think 7r's combat was great - but the general rule where there's no ATB, ADB, or anything in any of the mainline releases now is so disappointing. Maybe this game has a good battle system, maybe it doesn't, it's impossible to say. But the loss of turn based entirely across all the new games is bad. But my favourite thing about the 3D FF games was how much interesting experimentation they did within the idea of turn based battle systems, and I would love for that to continue. Unfortunately now Square only busts out turn based systems in games which are conciously smaller scale throwback titles, and I think it's a real shame.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Honestly it's been going this way since, what, XII? At this point I'd prefer they just fully commit to going full action RPG/character action game than try to hit some midpoint like XV.

Of course I'd love to see them return to a more tradition JRPG combat system, but it doesn't look like that's happening anytime soon, so I'm happy with what XVI looks like.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Best thing they can do is ask Platinum to make a quirky spin off a la Bayonetta of a sassy horny red mage from Ivalice trying to hit on a really sexy Viera with a nice butt so he hunts giant monsters just to show how "manly and awesome" he is so he can bang her bt something somthing saving the world from an impeding doom.

A man can dream.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for this. One of the best things is that the franchise keeps reinventing itself. Some experiments work out better than others, but new mainline entries are always exciting.

This looks fantastic imo. I just hope they finally make this 60fps, specially with the apparently action-focused systems.

Invoker

Chicken Chaser
May 29, 2019
FF15 was boring.

I hope it's different from it.

My dream FF game would've been a new FF with the FF12 combat, or a new FF Tactics with gameplay silimar to Divinity.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
If you go full action at least... go full action and not whatever XV was.

That said I'd loooove for them to revisit turn based someday.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer turn based combat, but might be more forgiving if the rest of the game was good. XV wasn't, and the world for XVI looks boring.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Very excited. They hired Ryota Suzuki (Dragon's Dogma, DMC5) for a good reason. I have no doubt it'll play really well.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't dislike it, in fact I'm sure I'll have fun with XVI's combat. I simply would have prefered that it used something like XII's ATB system. Everything is real-time these days, at least among AAA games. It would have been refreshing to see a AAA Final Fantasy go back to its traditional roots for combat.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After FFXV and FFVIIR, I don't believe they are close to providing a system that makes active combat still feel like strategy and/or 'think about the next 3 moves' type of battle. I haven't played FFXIV so there may be something closer to what I'm looking for there. But I also think FFXVI has an action game combat director or something?

It will probably be a lot of fun to play and just not feel like the FF RPG I want. That's okay, change happens.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I miss my turn based combat but whatever. Persona 5 scratched that itch and was better than any Final Fantasy released on the ps3 and ps4.