YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Im very happy with the directions of both FF7R and FF16. I'm not interested in the turn based genre anymore.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Just noticed you leave a lilttle aftereffect shadow after the apparent enemy step, neat. It's kinda funny how much this game seems to borrow from DMC. I guess you might as well steal from the best. Don't know about the massive hitstops though.

Been warming up to what they showed of this game. Hopefully they really blow people's socks off with the next trailer.

Lastdancer

Nov 1, 2017
I'm all for it, just give me Party Members with decent AI that I can either program myself via gambits and/or take manual control of when the situation needs.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was hoping for some different combat like, a modern jrpg one like for example, ffxii or maybe xenoblade. I liked the story, the combat animation were great, but I'm not feeling it after disliking FFXV.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
XV's combat was okay, VIIR's combat was straight up bad. The combat in the series peaked at X and it is a shame that they have been running from it as fast and far as they can ever since.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I dont mind it being full action but I hope they go all out and design actual good combat. If it's press X for awesome then that would suck. Give a DMC combat with magic and I'll happy.

May 10, 2018
I'm cool with it. Turn based isn't coming back for the numbered mainline games.

I really liked XV and I really liked VIIR.

Last edited:

west

Oct 28, 2017
Mainline FF seems to be more about looking good in combat than actually being strategic. That said I think 7R did better at it than XV, but those flying enemies where a pain. I would prefer a system that puts the emphasis on the whole party, rather than focusing on one member at a time.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
I've watched people stream the game. I can just tell from streams it's not for me. The battle system looks like total shit to me.

There's a free demo of it on the PSN store, you can always try it out. At least I think it's still available.

I did try the demo, it wasn't too bad. I will probably play the actual game at some point, but it's no rush for me right now. I will say the combat was not my first choice, I would have much preferred they kept with the original combat, but it was ok.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I never expected Final Fantasy to be the game/series that finally makes my dream of DMC combat with full blown RPG stuff a reality but I'm here for it.

Well I guess I don't know if they're gonna go full DMC but it looks closer than Nier Automata does to being fully fleshed Platinum combat.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Not my cup of tea for sure. I expect parties, character interaction, etc... from FF. I mean, FFXV combat was ok if with a terrible camera, but i don't want to have more action then that and would prefer less.

If I want solo game with DMC style combat I will play DMC. Can't imagine going on like this for 50 hours. Can't help but be disappointed.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
I'm mixed. On one hand, I love action games and am eagerly anticipating FFXVI. On the other, we're sorely lacking in AAA turn-based games not named "Pokemon". Although, if I'm going down that line of reasoning, we're short on AAA high-action/character-action games as well.

Jibreel

Oct 25, 2017
FFVIIR struck the perfect cord of being action orientated while still having the option to slow things down to plot your actions strategically. I was hoping for FF16 to adopt a similar combat system though I'm not necessarily opposed to it going full Devil May Cry combat wise. My biggest concern would be the exclusion of having party members due to it not meshing well with the combat system.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Not what I'd personally want but at this point the writing is on the wall and I will just accept FF for what it is now & enjoy it for that.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
Happy.

I think we took the idea of turn based combat to its ultimate peak in the 90s and never really progressed beyond that.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Part of me yearns for another turn based FF but Final Fantasy is also the cash cow of Square Enix. It needs to be mass appeal and action combat is an easier sell.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
"Potentially?" We've been there for the most part.

The fact that they won't do TurnBased bums me the hell out to no end personally. Even a spinoff that wasn't a cartoony/handheld title would be nice to see with the budget they need to amp up the animations. Persona 5 has flash/quick snappy ui/etc that make turn based feel fun to play.

Personally I'm more inclined to just call it "command based" combat for things like menu based combat lately, but I think watered down systems like FF7R are all we're going to get for a while.

That being said I mourn every time an RPG is called "outdated" for having turn based combat and/or trashed for it, and the common consensus that everything needs to be action combat really irks me as well.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017

The fact that they won't do TurnBased bums me the hell out to no end personally. Even a spinoff that wasn't a cartoony/handheld title would be nice to see with the budget they need to amp up the animations. Persona 5 has flash/quick snappy ui/etc that make turn based feel fun to play.

Personally I'm more inclined to just call it "command based" combat for things like menu based combat lately, but I think watered down systems like FF7R are all we're going to get for a while.

That being said I mourn every time an RPG is called "outdated" for having turn based combat and/or trashed for it, and the common consensus that everything needs to be action combat really irks me as well.

Couldn't agree more, especially the bolded part.

VegiHam

Oct 25, 2017
I would expect the latest game in an RPG series to be an RPG; rather than becoming a character action game. Be interesting to see how the game looks when we have more info.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

Just noticed you leave a lilttle aftereffect shadow after the apparent enemy step, neat. It's kinda funny how much this game seems to borrow from DMC. I guess you might as well steal from the best. Don't know about the massive hitstops though.

Been warming up to what they showed of this game. Hopefully they really blow people's socks off with the next trailer.
That's totally Nero's RQ air combo lol.

Maybe there is a katana weapon for Vergil moves?
TimelyFairAfricanjacana-size_restricted.gif

HYPE

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
If it's like FFXV then it's a pass, it's the first mainline offline game I didn't finish.

Bur given that the guy in charge of Dragons dogma is in this one I have higher hopes. And the FFXIV team is awesome. So I'm still optimistic, if not slightly cautious.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I'd rather just about everything be turn-based so seeing them possibly go all in on action makes me not anywhere near excited for 16 as I normally would be. 7R hit it about perfectly to me as a mix though, so I would hope they are iterating on that somewhat instead of a DMC style game.

I'll still play it on PC but... yeah I hope they don't do full action for every game going forward.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
7R laid them perfect foundation for the action/turn based split they'd been trying to get for so long... would be a real shame if they just went full action like other rpgs.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Describing FF7R as "watered down" feels really dismissive to me. They almost nailed the perfect blend of action and turn based, and with a few more iterations it could be perfected fully.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Describing FF7R as "watered down" feels really dismissive to me. They almost nailed the perfect blend of action and turn based, and with a few more iterations it could be perfected fully.
Nah, the mashing of square to me is meme central compared to auto attacks that can be timed more like XB2 or something. Also the resource management is shit because they couldn't figure out what to do with magic so they made it OP and limited the MP pools and limited the ALL materias as well, including nerfing the mastery system. On top of that the aggro tables are garbage.

The ATB also isn't very interesting with not only having 2 charges but being super limited in how it's executed. Not to mention the lack of programming for your party mates meaning either using 4 shortcuts or constant pausing.

On top of that the evade and defend tools were laggy.

I'm not saying FF7R can't be "Good" because it is pretty "good" as is, but it's no subtitute for proper strategic ATB combat to me and it never will be. Just because I mash Square and sometimes select stuff from a menu doesn't make it a "perfect blend." It's little more than a watered down cooldown based system. But it's flashy I guess.

The FF7R combat will never compare until I have full control at all times, and that's something typically only Turnbased and/or ATB provides, because it's the only feasible way to do it. I will always prefer the full control and menu based combat of something like P5R over FF7R's jack of all trades master of none version.

Darting around like a kid on speed to send commands out isn't "skill" to me, it's annoying. I want full control at my pace because that's what I like about turnbased/Strategy combat. So to me the action stuff will always be watered down versions of the two extremes.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the mashing of square to me is meme central compared to auto attacks that can be timed more like XB2 or something. Also the resource management is shit because they couldn't figure out what to do with magic so they made it OP and limited the MP pools and limited the ALL materias as well, including nerfing the mastery system. On top of that the aggro tables are garbage.

The ATB also isn't very interesting with not only having 2 charges but being super limited in how it's executed. Not to mention the lack of programming for your party mates meaning either using 4 shortcuts or constant pausing.

On top of that the evade and defend tools were laggy.

I'm not saying FF7R can't be "Good" because it is pretty "good" as is, but it's no subtitute for proper strategic ATB combat to me and it never will be. Just because I mash Square and sometimes select stuff from a menu doesn't make it a "perfect blend."

The FF7R combat will never compare until I have full control at all times, and that's something typically only Turnbased and/or ATB provides, because it's the only feasible way to do it. I will always prefer the full control and menu based combat of something like P5R over FF7R's jack of all trades master of none version.
If you play the combat well, you are not mashing square though. The resource management is really engaging, especially in hard mode where you really have to consider your usage of MP. The aggro tables are not garbage either...

ATB is not limited... you set up the entire party to be one moving unit. You should't be pausing, you can effortlessly flit between all characters fluidly.

Dodging isn't pure action game style, it is for dodging some attacks. Others you need to defend and tank. It is up to you to learn which type f Defense is required, and if you don't bother to learn and just try to dodge like an action game it will feel awkward for sure. They are not laggy, either, their response time's perfectly suit the tells we're given.

You have far more control than you're suggesting in your post.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
If you play the combat well, you are not mashing square though. The resource management is really engaging, especially in hard mode where you really have to consider your usage of MP. The aggro tables are not garbage either...

ATB is not limited... you set up the entire party to be one moving unit. You should't be pausing, you can effortlessly flit between all characters fluidly.

Dodging isn't pure action game style, it is for dodging some attacks. Others you need to defend and tank. It is up to you to learn which type f Defense is required, and if you don't bother to learn and just try to dodge like an action game it will feel awkward for sure. They are not laggy, either, their response time's perfectly suit the tells we're given.

You have far more control than you're suggesting in your post.
"If you play well" oh boy here we go.

Dodging is an evade meant for AOEs. I know.

The aggro tables are reliant on who you're controlling unless you have a really inconsistent materia that doesn't always work named Provoke I believe.

But yes please come at me with the "You need to learn to play the game" reply. It really does wonders for me wanting to discuss further lol.

I know how the systems work. And I can beat all combat at HARD difficulty. That doesn't mean I enjoy the "way" it plays. If you do that's fine. I prefer either more menu based combat or cooldown combat, or pure action. The blend is watered down because it objectively is trying to do two things at once. If you like it, cool, but I don't think it's a proper substitute in the slightest.

EDIT: Oh wait you're the one that was always in the OT telling everyone how to play, nevermind lol.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"If you play well" oh boy here we go.

Dodging is an evade meant for AOEs. I know.

The aggro tables are reliant on who you're controlling unless you have a really inconsistent materia that doesn't always work named Provoke I believe.

But yes please come at me with the "You need to learn to play the game" reply. It really does wonders for me wanting to discuss further lol.

I know how the systems work. And I can beat all combat at HARD difficulty. That doesn't mean I enjoy the "way" it plays. If you do that's fine. I prefer either more menu based combat or cooldown combat, or pure action. The blend is watered down because it objectively is trying to do two things at once. If you like it, cool, but I don't think it's a proper substitute in the slightest.

EDIT: Oh wait you're the one that was always in the OT telling everyone how to play, nevermind lol.

You came into this with a weird hylerbolic tone. The "mash square thing" does not happen if you play well, that is not a suggestion that you struggle with the game it is a correction of your hyperbole.

And no, there was a single poster in the FF thread who constantly made hylerbolic posts like yours, and myself and a half dozen other users tried to reason with them. Nice twist, though.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
So long as it isn't a sloppy mess like XV, I'll be fine with it. But let's wait and see when the game actually comes out instead of making a bunch of assumptions based on a few action clips in a trailer. Everyone seemed to think FFVIIR was an action RPG up until they actually played the game.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seemed to think FFVIIR was an action RPG up until they actually played the game.
This is the hope I have.

If you take FF7R combat, focus in a single character, and remove the UI, it would look far more traditional action than it is.

Although, there are elements of the combat here that make it look like we do have more direct character control... but it could be misleading.

Oct 31, 2017
You came into this with a weird hylerbolic tone. The "mash square thing" does not happen if you play well, that is not a suggestion that you struggle with the game it is a correction of your hyperbole.

And no, there was a single poster in the FF thread who constantly made hylerbolic posts like yours, and myself and a half dozen other users tried to reason with them. Nice twist, though.

Dont bother

That poster has been extremely obnoxious about VIIR since long before it was released

Celestine

Oct 31, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Kind of weird people fight about this. It's all preference. I don't play for challenge, even though a lot of people do. I care very little about combat. I want to explore an awesome world at my leisure. I don't like things jumping at me and my reflexes are shit. I'd rather play using a menu, and take things slow and easy while also paying attention to things irl. I can 100% menu based games, but action game combat, while fun sometimes, feels kind of like a chore after a while, requiring too much attention and focus, and I tend to do far less side stuff.

That said, I'm not nostalgic for sprites at all and I want to see cutting edge graphics and an amazing world. Games like Octopath look dated to me and combat is too slow. I miss turn based FF but I still will play and enjoy.

Btw I still remember this debate from SNES times. Could FF go action?? There was Secret of Mana, etc. Lots of action games, then, too. But I liked the way I could set my own pace in FF. People are still fighting about this but now we don't really have any truly modern non-moe turn based games except for DQ.