JohnLennon

May 16, 2020
I'm very grateful they clarified this. I understand the concern of some, but I had my doubts it would be implemented as intrusively as some people speculated.

I'm happy that this news has reassured many people. Can't wait for next gen!

Oct 28, 2017
I'm becoming increasingly unclear about what exactly Facebook got out of this Mixer deal. They didn't get the IP rights for the underlying tech, they got a brand that was never really popular and is being shuttered, and Microsoft appear to be getting some amount of xCloud integration into Instagram.
Getting xcloud integration into instagram is a value add by itself. Game streaming on their platform makes it more attractive compared to Snapchat, tiktok, or whatever else people are using.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I never doubted it for a second, but always good to get clarification.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'm becoming increasingly unclear about what exactly Facebook got out of this Mixer deal. They didn't get the IP rights for the underlying tech, they got a brand that was never really popular and is being shuttered, and Microsoft appear to be getting some amount of xCloud integration into Instagram.

I think they were hoping to get more streamers from Mixer into FB.

JohnLennon

May 16, 2020
I think they were hoping to get more streamers from Mixer into FB.
I believe Facebook got Gothalion, but their bids for Ninja and Shroud failed. I think the real reason is not not as much about getting Mixer partners, but more that partnering with Xbox will strengthen their gaming brand in general, while giving Xbox a powerful social platform to promote xCloud. It seems like a deal that really benefits both parties.

I use Facebook, I have xCloud beta currently on my phone, and I'm really eager to see how this is implemented on Facebook. Though I never truly believe Facebook would be intrusively pushed on Xbox, and I'm glad that has been confirmed.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Hopefully we can all calm down about this now. Thanks for the clarification Phil and Larry.

Nov 28, 2017
That's nice of them to clear that up early, before bad PR through word of mouth on reddit and message boards like ERA, leading into articles from known news outlets.

They're trying to avoid another May 2013, as much as they can, and I hope they do. Good luck to them.

sam777

Oct 27, 2017
All the crying yesterday for sweet feck all. As always wait for clarification before taking things as fact

DrDarkStryfe

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Glad that Phil and Major Nelson cleared this up fast, and great job on being very concise about it. This was a concern of mine and I would absolutely have not bought one if the integration was the same.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Haha, all the posts in this thread are spot on. The FUD machine was rolling hard. Like, past the point of concern trolling kinda hard. This was common sense to just about everyone. I'm sure people were legitimately concerned but it's probably like a 1% ratio, lol. If that.

The fact anyone thought otherwise...lol.

You'd be surprised the mental gymnastics people force their brain into performing. I'm pretty sure these guys never thought they'd have to actually explain this, but here we are.

All that "concern" and brow furrowing for nothing, who would have thought?
Must...find...reason...to be....CONCERNED.
That's good they said something. The FUD going around here and on Twitter was nuts. Like there was going to be a Facebook tab on the dashboard and you'd need to sign into Facebook when setting up the Series X. Still won't be enough for some though.

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I bet this thread won't attract as much attention.
Unless someone finds another way to concern trolling

At least it's good for MS to clarify.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
At most to use click to play features on websites as an example or stream via Facebook Gaming you will need to link your account to Facebook just like you do for EA games. Ideally it's a choice.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
That's really good to hear. Was really concerned about how much MS was going to get involved with Facebook.

Facebook is a terrible company, and I want nothing to do with them, and I want them to have nothing to do with any of the consoles.

Edit: Sweet jesus, this thread is really something.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much what I expected after reading the press release.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
It's a damn shame MS has to be explicit and explain everything to these people like they're children lest the FUD spreads. I'm especially disappointed in people with large online followings who spread FUD and who really should know better. They basically confirm that there is a double standard in how they approach MS vs Sony news.

It's pathetic it even has to be that way.

Also, this thread is moving so slow. Guess good news means no chance to concern troll.

HarryDemeanor

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for asking, where can you currently stream a game to from your Xbox? I don't own an XBO, so I don't know.
You could always stream to Twitch since the app was launched in the early years of Xbox One. When they acquired Beam/Mixer and integrated it into the UI it was always an option. It just wasn't as upfront or focal.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's really good to hear. Was really concerned about how much MS was going to get involved with Facebook.

Facebook is a terrible company, and I want nothing to do with them, and I want them to have nothing to do with any of the consoles.

Edit: Sweet jesus, this thread is really something.
Apparently members expressing genuine concern are labeled as trolls instead. I understand the legitimate concerns with anything related to Facebook.

Good that Microsoft clarified.

JohnLennon

May 16, 2020
Listen, I'm not comfortable chastising everyone who was concerned yesterday. While in my opinion, there is no doubt that a large portion of people tried to spin the story into a console wars thing, some other people had genuine concerns. I'm glad these concerns have been addressed.

Just looking through that thread, I think it's clear enough that certain people took advantage of the situation to push their own agenda. Again, I'm just really excited to see how this is all implemented. This seems like a HUGE deal for the Xbox brand. And since I mentioned "console wars" I'm curious if Sony makes a move in this space, and what that might be. Can't wait!

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's a damn shame MS has to be explicit and explain everything to these people like they're children lest the FUD spreads. I'm especially disappointed in people with large online followings who spread FUD and who really should know better. They basically confirm that there is a double standard in how they approach MS vs Sony news.

Also, this thread is moving so slow. Guess good news means no chance to concern troll.

It's the the nature of the beast at this point. When companies make an announcement, they've gotta be cognizant of the FUD that will generate if left unchecked.

Dealing with a company like Facebook, I think they should have anticipated people will jump to crazy conclusions.

Last edited:

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

No it's insane that anyone concerned was attacked and labeled a troll by some because they wanna blindly defend.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Shoudlve been in that press announcement with mixer. Made me doubt future xbox purchases.
That Verge article did not mention anything about Xbox. The main focus was on transitioning Mixer streamers and introducing xCloud to FB users. It's just another deal for MS to expand beyond consoles. Now you can game on Samsung TVs and FB.
well not surprising, it's the same ones blindly following Microsoft and don't ever want anything said about them.
Y'all didn't read and automatically assumed the worst.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Verge article did not mention anything about Xbox. The main focus was on transitioning Mixer streamers and introducing xCloud to FB users. It's just another deal for MS to expand beyond consoles. Now you can game on Samsung TVs and FB.

Y'all didn't read and automatically assumed the worst.
I read and with Facebook, it's better to assume the worst. Putting fingers in your ears and pretend makes you look like a fool

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
No it's insane that anyone concerned was attacked and labeled a troll by some because they wanna blindly defend.

because thinking you would need a facebook login to turn your xbox on like facebook just bought microsoft was totally a legitimate, real concern that people had

it's one thing to be concerned about facebook integration on the dash replacing mixer (i was as well) and other to believe bullshit like forced facebook logins to even use the console

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
because thinking you would need a facebook login to turn your xbox on like facebook just bought microsoft was totally a legitimate, real concern that people had

it's one thing to be concerned about facebook integration on the dash replacing mixer (i was as well) and other to believe bullshit like forced facebook logins to even use the console
I don't know why anyone would have that first thought but at least both were addressed. I only believed it would be taking the place of mixer but it would be front and centre. I'm really glad they addressed it and it's good to go.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I read and with Facebook, it's better to assume the worst. Putting fingers in your ears and pretend makes you look like a fool
I'm the one being calm and explaining why it wasn't gonna be what you thought and you went into full panic mode. MS didn't force Mixer on you and there was no indication that FB would have been forced on you.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Thank you for making a thread for this. Should quell the fears for some people.
War never changes.
You should check yesterday's Mixer threads. Some people suddenly didn't want to buy Xbox Series X anymore. The internet, I guess... Lots of mental gymnastics at place.
Common sense prevails. If there was Facebook integration, they'll ask for permission first like for every other service that links with another service.

There's a lot of people on these forums that don't think rationally and only lead with emotions.
The fact anyone thought otherwise...lol.
yep.
A 40 page thread, most of them nowhere to be seen in this thread.
I wonder why...
Shoudlve been in that press announcement with mixer. Made me doubt future xbox purchases.
I didn't think that would be necessary, but you are probably right. The thread yesterday was a mess.
Apparently members expressing genuine concern are labeled as trolls instead. I understand the legitimate concerns with anything related to Facebook.

Good that Microsoft clarified.
Some of them surely were concern trolls, but obviously not everyone. But it's still crazy to even think Facebook would be all over the dashboard, when they talked about xCloud iirc and Microsoft under Nadella showed a million times options are key for them and Spencer says on basically every interview, that they want to let gamers play whenever, with whoever on the devices they want. Why would anyone think they limit the option to FB and you need a FB account? That was conspiracy theory territory.

Did people really think a partnership would result in less options with the new Microsoft? Xbox games are on Steam and Xbox partnered with Discord and Samsung before. But you don't have to have a Discord Account and you don't have to have a samsung device to use xCloud. It runs fine on other android smartphones and even iOS devices.

It baffles my mind how many thought FB would in any shape or form be the only option and heavily integrated on Series X, considering all these decisions Microsoft made under Nadella.