• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 31, 2017
https://apnews.com/article/face-hand-transplant-joe-dimeo-1e11f620bd84c817e99b00bdf874625a

In 2018, DiMeo fell asleep at the wheel, he said, after working a night shift as a product tester for a drug company. The car hit a curb and utility pole, flipped over, and burst into flames. Another driver who saw the accident pulled over to rescue DiMeo.

But simultaneous face and double hand transplants are extremely rare and have only been tried twice before. The first attempt was in 2009 on a patient in Paris who died about a month later from complications. Two years later, Boston doctors tried it again on a woman who was mauled by a chimpanzee, but ultimately had to remove the transplanted hands days later.

"The fact they could pull it off is phenomenal," said Dr. Bohdan Pomahac, a surgeon at Boston's Brigham and Women's Hospital who led the second such attempt. "I know firsthand it's incredibly complicated. It's a tremendous success."

Was completed at NYU, same people who did the first full face transplant a few years ago.

press-release-first-successful-face-and-double-hand-transplant.jpg

Edit:

Amazing dexterity.

Last edited:

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
Im sure the achievement is something to be celebrated and the guy will have an improved quality of life....but shit, both pictures are very hard to look at.

TKRunningRiot

Oct 26, 2017
At first I thought this was going to be about the Q conspiracy theory of a Trump/Biden Face/Off scenario.

Its incredible they were able to help this man out.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That's actually very impressive! Hopefully no complications come up as before.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fucking science man. Incredible.

Congrats to the man, I'm sure his quality of life will be improved beyond measure.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
First off, they look fine, that's an incredible transition, and there's absolutely nothing NSFW about how a human being's face looks

But to me the most amazing thing is in the video in the article...it appears he has pretty significant use of his new hands, and is able to grab things and lift weights and such. I don't know if he'll be able to play the guitar one day, but the fact that we can transplant hands in a way that gives that person some digit and grip control is like real sci-fi shit to me.

Wish him all the best and hopefully this is something that can become a procedure more people can benefit from

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Sorry if it's an insensitive question, but why the hell did they let his eyelids being closed shut like that to begin with?

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
First off, they look fine, that's an incredible transition, and there's absolutely nothing NSFW about how a human being's face looks

But to me the most amazing thing is in the video in the article...it appears he has pretty significant use of his new hands, and is able to grab things and lift weights and such. I don't know if he'll be able to play the guitar one day, but the fact that we can transplant hands in a way that gives that person some digit and grip control is like real sci-fi shit to me.

Wish him all the best and hopefully this is something that can become a procedure more people can benefit from

Wow that's incredible stuff.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's absolutely astonishing that he can use his hands already to that extent. What a life changing operation.

OP
OP
Huncho_Houdini
Dec 31, 2017

Yeah thanks for posting the video. That hand dexterity is honestly unbelievable. They literally joined the nerves together.

Sorry if it's an insensitive question, but why the hell did they let his eyelids being closed shut like that to begin with?

Not fully sure but if his eyelids were burned off initially then that would have led to eye damage via drying out/exposure, it's possible they intentionally left those tissue bands as coverage. Or that's simply how the scarring overtook the eye and was difficult to reverse.

OP
OP
Huncho_Houdini
Dec 31, 2017
Im sure the achievement is something to be celebrated and the guy will have an improved quality of life....but shit, both pictures are very hard to look at.
I dunno man, now he just looks a little overweight but I wouldn't really spot him out in a crowd or something. Nevertheless they'll continue to enhance the skin/appearance via future operations.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The fact that he can use his new hands and still has some sight is incredible.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
That's really insane. The hands are super impressive.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely amazing what medical science can do now. Really happy for this person.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
That video is astounding. I'm mindblown that he can lift weights and has as much mobility in his hands as he does. I can't wrap my my around how they were able to stitch the nerves and everything together so successfully. Amazing achievement both for him and the advancement of modern medicine.

Plover

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible technology and resilience of this man. He kind of has no choice but to be resilient, but it's impressive nonetheless.

Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all are sensitive little idiots.

But back on topic, like the doctor says, this was a success since it proved such a transplant procedure can work. At this point, modifying the tissue to better fit the bone structure underneath is the easy part. For gaining functionality in his hands, what I've heard about people with nerve damage is that it takes months of physical therapy to get real control of their limbs back and it looks like he's got a lot of control already. Able to move all fingers and has decent enough grip strength to lift weights.

Overall, he has years of surgeries ahead of him but those are the relatively easy ones. It takes the sacrifice of people like this guy to prove the surgery is doable and to iterate improved methods over time.

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. Most face transplants look better by comparison to what patients looked like prior, but still not great. This looks really good.