• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MONSTER

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For those who have played both MK8 and MK8 Deluxe, regarding items, which one do you think have a better balance?

What I mean is that in MK8 you can only hold one item, whereas in Deluxe you can hold two, which can make the game lean more towards items than racing.

For me MK8 stroke the perfect balance between items and racing. Items make a difference but won't make you win if you only rely on them.

Two items at once makes me remember MK Wii, where you could get several positions using two items or maintain yourself ahead for a long time for having 6 bananas.

I never played MK8 Deluxe and would like to know what you think.

Thing is, everyone is on the same level in regards to items so there's no real advantage tbh

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart 8 deluxe is my first Mario Kart game I've played, never got to play it originally on the Wii U. I haven't really played it online much and not very good at it but the game is really fun and the Animal Crossing tracks are so beautiful and lovely, the winter music theme is so peaceful. Good to see!

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
You both know what I mean, remaster is a pretty loose term these days, marginal graphical improvements are having remastered slapped on them
I know but in this case there aren't any. It's just running at a higher resolution due to the Switch being more capable than the Wii U.

Ultimately, I suspect all the Wii U ports will sell more on Switch.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Guess we can point to this as reference when people start complaining about why Nintendo is porting so many Wii-U games to the Switch.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
I know but in this case there aren't any. It's just running at a higher resolution due to the Switch being more capable than the Wii U.

Ultimately, I suspect all the Wii U ports will sell more on Switch.
Thats pretty much all Resident Evil HD Remastered was, the Gamecube version running on better hardware

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Polygon.jpg

Edit: beaten
I came here for this

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
It's very well deserved. Good on MK8D.

It doesn't seem like Nintendo is going to make a Mario Kart 9 anytime soon, since this will continue to sell for the lifetime of the Switch and possibly beyond. Does that mean we'll see another season of DLC packs?

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
And here is it. The thing that should permanently silence complainers about full price Wii U ports coming to Switch. Its pretty clear that Nintendo can probably at least match the Wii U sales (if not completely trounce) on almost anything they decide to bring over and sell on Switch. It will be interesting to see how Donkey Kong and Triforce Heroes do..

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I guess we're not getting Mario Kart 9 this gen.

What I do wonder if is 8 will get another round of DLC, with 16 new tracks, essentially giving us a new game.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic game, made me buy a ninty console for the first time. I did have a shitty gba though!
DLC would be very much appreciated.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
It doesn't seem like Nintendo is going to make a Mario Kart 9 anytime soon, since this will continue to sell for the lifetime of the Switch and possibly beyond. Does that mean we'll see another season of DLC packs?

I honestly kinda hope so. Release more DLC until all the retro tracks are represented in MK8D.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
I love seeing great games get the sales they deserved on the Wii U with their Switch ports. This makes me very hopeful for DKCTF, I'm really hoping its sales are outstanding.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we're not getting Mario Kart 9 this gen.

What I do wonder if is 8 will get another round of DLC, with 16 new tracks, essentially giving us a new game.

If only Nintendo were sitting an another racing IP, one that is different enough from Mario Kart to not risk cannibalizing its sales. It would be especially nice if it had Smash representation, or even some form of cross promotion with Mario Kart itself! I really wish such an IP could show me its moves!

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Was it though? In less than a year, for a years old port? I'm not so sure i'd call it easy. In my mind, this is a bigger feat than Odyssey selling as much as it has.

I remember a few people saying this wouldn't sell at all and shouldn't be considered as a big release lol
Back at gaf, I am happy to say that I predicted Mario Kart 8 Deluxe would easily outsell the Wii U version.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Not that anyone cares, but I wanted to use this fantastic news to say that Mario Kart 8/Deluxe is one of the best games of all time. And that's me done.

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's an okay game, heinously casualized compared to the GOAT Mario Kart Wii, but it's still a pretty okay game. Unfortunately, it's probably gonna be the standard for MK from now on.

Absolutely hilarious how dead this game is on youtube and in Clan Wars compared to Mario Kart Wii, though (the MKboards postcounts for this game are incredibly lacking too). The days of MKWii clan wars will never return...sigh. Competitive Mario Kart had a good run.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Good to see. Nintendo should be rewarded when they add new content to ports like this and Pokken Tournament. Captain Toad also will have new levels. What is disappointing is when they port a game like Tropical Freeze without much of anything new besides Funky Mode.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see. Nintendo should be rewarded when they add new content to ports like this and Pokken Tournament. Captain Toad also will have new levels. What is disappointing is when they port a game like Tropical Freeze without much of anything new besides Funky Mode.
A fifth playable character and new difficulty level is a pretty substantial addition.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
No lol

1080p, tons of extra contents, 8 new tracks for the new battle mode, some new musics, double item, different Kart stats, a new turbo boost

Bayonetta 2 is a port, NOT this lol
By your logic Tropical Freeze is not a port because it got that Funky Kong mode
Hyrule Warriors is not a port because it got Link and Zelda from BOTW
Pokken is not a port because it got new DLC characters
Captain Toad is not a port because it got Odyssey levels.

If only "enhanced port" was not a term used in this industry... oh, wait!..