• Paris

Votes: 26 21.5%
  • London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
What determines who your opponent's are for the weekly rankings by the way, is it random? I'm currently almost 6K points ahead of the number two, am I just lucky? I won't complain on getting 20 gems of course, but it feels weird.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
What determines who your opponent's are for the weekly rankings by the way, is it random? I'm currently almost 6K points ahead of the number two, am I just lucky? I won't complain on getting 20 gems of course, but it feels weird.
I think the point is you start out in the easy first tier, and every time you place high you move up a tier until you get to something that suits you.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, I forgot to do this.
  • ResetERA Username: Kinsei
  • Mario Kart Tour Username: Kinsei
  • Friend-Code: 7631-9215-0606
Gartooth

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
i've completed every course with all of the stars and now i guess i just got to wait to be dripfed new ones? i could just grind out challenges or whatever, but it seems not fun
If you already got all your daily exp and coins, then just wait until tomorrow. If not then I'd say to keep playing until those taps run dry.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always a little hesitant to make positive judgements about mobile games that can go from generous to downright miserly at the drop of a hat, but for all the fuss about greedy gacha this game hasn't been doing a very good job of making me pay to win. I've now gotten every grand star on all but those last two cups without paying a cent, and I've only made two 10-pulls in which I mostly got commons and certainly no high-end items.

If they keep it up they'll definitely be getting my money for future gold passes, because this is genuinely the highest quality mobile game Nintendo has put out IMO and it's entirely down to one fact... it's actually Mario Kart. There's no concessions here. It's not a Mario-themed auto-runner, it's not Dr. Mario's Candy Crush, it's not Animal Crossing Chore Simulator, it's literally just Mario Kart with tracks ripped straight from the games and controls simplified for a touch screen, plus a new scoring and progression system that honestly improves the single player experience compared to the main games in which I slog through the cups purely to say I've done it.

Speaking of the tracks, I kind of groaned when I saw how many lame MK7 tracks were in the beta because I've always found the majority of them to be dull and unexciting, and they were unfortunately still largely dull and unexciting. Now that they've added the combo system in the full game though, I'm surprised at how fun they are - far more fun than they ever were in MK7, because in this game I'm constantly looking for ways to chain combos by timing my item throws/boosts and using coins to keep the timer going when there's nothing else around.

Also, like everyone else I've come to dislike the waiting. I didn't mind it at first, but this is a game that I seriously could play for hours at a time if they'd let me, so I don't know why they arbitrarily limit you. It's clearly not to get more out of your wallet, because you can't pay to unlock the cups any faster. If they really want to spread out the cups over a few days, at least let me grind XP and coins. Please stop encouraging me to get a life instead of playing a mobile game all day, Nintendo.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that this thread is way more active in the early morning hours. They really have us waiting here for the new cups to unlock. lol

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always a little hesitant to make positive judgements about mobile games that can go from generous to downright miserly at the drop of a hat, but for all the fuss about greedy gacha this game hasn't been doing a very good job of making me pay to win. I've now gotten every grand star on all but those last two cups without paying a cent, and I've only made two 10-pulls in which I mostly got commons and certainly no high-end items.
Yeah, at least so far every star seems doable with the three mandatory pulls, + the free stuff you get from the tour gifts without the gold pass. Some stuff can be incredibly difficult though *Glares at Bowser Cup New York Minute R and Daisy Cup Dino Dino Jungle R*. Of course I'd say the real benchmark of whether or not F2P is viable will be how tough the next tour will be.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Just got Metal Mario from a 5 Ruby pull. The pipe was all golden and glistening before I launched so something good had to be in it.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's still early on, but here's a hot take : The more I play with the drifting in this game, the more I think I actually like it's drifting mechanics better than MK8DX's.

I feel like I have more control over my drift here and it's far more possible/viable to go in a straight line, along with getting more boost while going against the drift. Compared to MK8's drift mechanics where turning hard into the drift is strongly encouraged (still encouraged in Tour just less so) to the point to where you basically get nothing from turning against it, and it's harder to go against the drift in general.

This feels more like MKDS to me, but with some limitations (one of which just being the touch controls themselves) to prevent it from going into full-on snake everywhere mode. Obviously I'd still prefer to use a controller, but I'm just talking about the mechanics themselves. Ironically enough with this game being what it is, I feel like I have a less on-rails-drift feeling than MK8 gives me.

Last edited:

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
How do I get super horns? I literally haven't gotten any in the last twenty+ races.

Also, I assume Coin Dash is a label I haven't unlocked yet?

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
How do I get super horns? I literally haven't gotten any in the last twenty+ races.

Also, I assume Coin Dash is a label I haven't unlocked yet?
It's just rare. Sometimes I'll get multiple super horns per race while others I can go entire cups without seeing one.

The coin rush menu is accessed by tapping the little + beside your coin count.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Damn and I thought my 16000 in the ranking are good, how have some of you over 20000? :O

And how can the CPU on Koopa Troopa Beach jump on the Wooden platform at the end of the round? Without boost that is impossible for me, are they cheating here again?

Last edited:

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Damn and I thought my 16000 in the ranking are good, how have some of you over 20000? :O

And how can the CPU on Koopa Troopa Beach jump on the Wooden platform at the end of the round? Without boost that is impossible for me, are they cheating here again?

IM THE KING OF ERA

efEoLgil.jpg

Having a really good loadout for Rock Rock Mountain R is making my overall score look more impressive than it should be (thanks gold pass Metal Mario), my score on New York Minute is an abysmal 4920 because I have nothing good for it besides DK who gets two items.

Also, that Koopa Troopa Beach ramp is kind of finicky. Sometimes you hit it and sometimes you don't.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
IM THE KING OF ERA

efEoLgil.jpg

Having a really good loadout for Rock Rock Mountain R is making my overall score look more impressive than it should be (thanks gold pass Metal Mario), my score on New York Minute is an abysmal 4920 because I have nothing good for it besides DK who gets two items.

Also, that Koopa Troopa Beach ramp is kind of finicky. Sometimes you hit it and sometimes you don't.

I'm mindblown at the rankings that the scores can go that high.

Getting rubies as I go up the ranks is going to be getting harder if I get matched with you lot. lol

Chopper

Oct 25, 2017
It's just rare. Sometimes I'll get multiple super horns per race while others I can go entire cups without seeing one.

The coin rush menu is accessed by tapping the little + beside your coin count.
Oh okay, cool thanks. Needs a ticket. Hmm....

Also, any reason not to use these Quick tickets to unlock more cups?

Also, a friend just decided to buy the gold pass, but can't seem to unlock the rewards he's "missed" by playing through some of the game already. Is that a thing? Gold pass rewards are missable?

Dreavus

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Jan 12, 2018
I'm not quite getting the controls... If I set it to drift then I can ONLY drift turn? It's awkward for small steering adjustments.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh okay, cool thanks. Needs a ticket. Hmm....

Also, any reason not to use these Quick tickets to unlock more cups?

Also, a friend just decided to buy the gold pass, but can't seem to unlock the rewards he's "missed" by playing through some of the game already. Is that a thing? Gold pass rewards are missable?
You can also spend 5 rubies to play coin rush. It's still a net gain of 6 rubies since you get 10 for completing that challenge card + the one from the coin rush challenge.

Not really. Though it seems the best use would be if your gold pass is about to run out and you want more grand stars for gifts.

He should get everything from the past gifts the next time he opens a gift.

Atram

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
IM THE KING OF ERA

efEoLgil.jpg

Every King must fall

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
This game is fantastic. The first mobile Nintendo game that's really great. Using a free trial for the golden pass, getting all the loot, feels amazing.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
F*ck Pauline, Metal Mario and especially Peachette, I've been rerolling 3 full day now and still 0 Dry Bowser.
Meanwhile I got 5, yes 5 golden pipes at the tutorial, 4 Peachette and 1 Metal Mario.
Come on game, I'm about to give up for good, I just want my favorite, it's not much to ask after 100+ rerolls.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
F*ck Pauline, Metal Mario and especially Peachette, I've been rerolling 3 full day now and still 0 Dry Bowser.
Meanwhile I got 5, yes 5 golden pipes at the tutorial, 4 Peachette and 1 Metal Mario.
Come on game, I'm about to give up for good, I just want my favorite, it's not much to ask after 100+ rerolls.
That's why I settled for regular Bowser. I knew I'd be there forever if I tried to get my skeleton boi.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not quite getting the controls... If I set it to drift then I can ONLY drift turn? It's awkward for small steering adjustments.

Yeah, you can only drift turn with it on. The best way to describe it is that you pretty much always want to be drifting and anticipating the next turn, and when you want to go straight you turn against the drift and move your finger back and forth to keep from going too far in either direction. It's kind of hard to do and in some cases simple controls are more helpful. Dino Dino Jungle in particular is an annoying course to use manual drift on. Works great with Toad Circuit though, I just recorded some gameplay footage of dubious quality:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
And I got yet another tutorial Peachette, this game is trying to ruin me lmao.
Desire sensor is too strong in this.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Wasn't sure about this game at first, but I'm starting to get it now! I'm never planning on paying money for this, so if you want an easy F2P noobie for your friends list, add me.

• ResetERA Username: Radishhead
  • Mario Kart Tour Username: Radishhead
  • Friend-Code: 8575-6189-8110
Gartooth

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth it to try and save Rubies for a 10 pull, or should I just go ahead with single pulls? Not sure if I can get enough free Rubies while the Pauline banner is still up, and I'm not paying.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth it to try and save Rubies for a 10 pull, or should I just go ahead with single pulls? Not sure if I can get enough free Rubies while the Pauline banner is still up, and I'm not paying.

10 pull basically gets you 1 free pull, so it's worth it to save. You can def get the Rubies. I got enough within like 2 days, with no gold pass.

Oct 27, 2017
How much money have you fuckers spent on a mobile MK game???

Also, being a limit to exoerience points per day is fucking BULLSHIT! Fuck you Nintendo.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Hmm... I am trying to play the game, but it seems I am stuck and I cannot do anything. I opened the app in the morning and I am still in the same page. How do you play any races?

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... I am trying to play the game, but it seems I am stuck and I cannot do anything. I opened the app in the morning and I am still in the same page. How do you play any races?
That just happens. A decent percentage of the time when you start the app fresh you get stuck on a loading screen. It seems to be a bug that has been carried over from the beta

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
This game just makes me want to play MK8. But damn if it isn't fun to pull out while on public transit

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Took me three days but I got Dry Bowser, I really wanted Mafia Mario but this is good enough.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017

Also, being a limit to exoerience points per day is fucking BULLSHIT! Fuck you Nintendo.
I haven't spent anything but I honestly had my finger on the trigger for a moment. However I came to my senses and realized this game would be a slow burn anyway. I have everything beat and unlocked up till the point we're all waiting for new cups anyway. I don't care about competing with the community for high scores. My in game gem earned 10 pull was TRASH which is why I almost spent $20 to try it again(and get Mario on top). So while I'm tempted to spend, in the end it doesn't matter if I'm able to clear all the content. I'm really curious how the actual multiplayer will play out, if the rewards are worth it, if it's worth playing at all ect.
I have a lot of gripes about this game but I like it enough to log in daily and play long enough to cap the coins/exp gains. Once I hit that cap though I honestly don't feel like playing anymore which is such a bad thing for the devs imo. You'd think they'd want people hooked as long as possible.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Nothing yet, and I haven't felt compelled to either. Not gonna lie though, it's gonna be super hard to resist when the inevitable Rosalina banner pops up (You know she's gonna be one).

(mat)

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
How do I make the controls good? I've played with the settings and they might as well just be labeled "crash into walls" and "crash into more walls".

I'm not going to say the game is crappy because some people are clearly enjoying it, so I must just not have things set properly.

Oct 27, 2017
How do I make the controls good? I've played with the settings and they might as well just be labeled "crash into walls" and "crash into more walls".

I'm not going to say the game is crappy because some people are clearly enjoying it, so I must just not have things set properly.
The controls just aren't good. You more or less get used to them rather than actually like them. Otherwise the game is fine but I want a landscape mode