• London

Votes: 25 20.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How does a mobile game have more characters and almost as many tracks at launch than the full blown game on console!!
There are nowhere near as many tracks (19 total with the Paris and Tokyo tracks compared to 48 in Mario Kart 8) and they are all way way less intricate than the ones in Mario Kart 8, both in terms of graphical fidelity and level complexity. The way they reuse the courses is nice, but if we remember mirror mode in MK8D, (which brings the total course options to 96), MK8D has way more than Tour even if we count all 19 courses having both R and T variations, which not all of them do yet (a total of 57)

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair i have everything 5 stars with the higher rarity character i have beeing peach and no ultra rare kart/glider (hopfully my last pull gave me 1 ultra rare glider and 2 karts)

It's not about rarity as much as favorite courses for each driver/cart/glider though. It is much easier to pull off the 5 stars with the bonus points multiplicator and time bonus.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
There are nowhere near as many tracks (19 total with the Paris and Tokyo tracks compared to 48 in Mario Kart 8) and they are all way way less intricate than the ones in Mario Kart 8, both in terms of graphical fidelity and level complexity. The way they reuse the courses is nice, but if we remember mirror mode in MK8D, (which brings the total course options to 96), MK8D has way more than Tour even if we count all 19 courses having both R and T variations, which not all of them do yet (a total of 57)

I think this is super well done. At first I was disappointed by how simple the new track was (NYC), but it fits with the simpler nature of this game. The split feels analogous to the difference between the handheld/console titles in the past, and gives me a reason to return (yet again) to 8.

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, getting 10k+ points in the last cup seems pretty much impossible for now.

Anyway, here's my code if anyone wants to add me:
  • ResetERA Username: MicH
  • Mario Kart Tour Username: MicH
  • Friend-Code: 5214-4928-6509

Oct 25, 2017
How in the corn-fed hell are you supposed to get 10,000 points in a race?

• ResetERA Username: BrightLightLava
  • Mario Kart Tour Username: Kevin
  • Friend-Code: 2098-4367-1461
Gartooth

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit I just realized that there are actually two tracks for Tokyo that Nintendo revealed. I was re-watching some footage and noticed the mini-maps on screen had 2 distinct layouts whereas before I thought they were the same track.

It makes me wonder if each track has 1 newcomer and 1 clone?

New York: Musician Mario + Pauline
Paris: Chef Shy Guy + ???
Tokyo #1 (Rainbow Bridge + Ginza): Hakama Mario + ???
Tokyo #2 (Senso-ji track): Yukata Peach + ???

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Did they significantly change the controls since the beta? I was a master of this from the moment I picked it up in the beta but in this I'm sliding around like the track is ice and I even do drifts that turn me around somehow.

Cuboid 64

Oct 28, 2017
This game is weird. I don't like the monetization they picked for it (I can't see myself sticking with the gold pass past the free trial) but it's probably still my favorite of the mobile Nintendo games to actually play? I really hope they get multiplayer in soon.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I like the number of variations in tracks this game has. For instance, New York Minute is a pretty vanilla track but the T version adds in a ton of extra ramps and jump points to keep it fresh.

I could see a future Mario Kart that uses it as a retro track taking quite a few liberties to make it stand out more from its base version.

Blitz

Oct 29, 2017
So when winning first place only gets you 3 stars instead of 5 stars. What should I work on to unlock more cups?

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Man I csnt get any superhorns... no matter how far in 1st I am or not.. only have 1/5 ):

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently high-end characters can appear in the shop. Someone on reddit posted a shot of Dry Bowser in there for 12,000 coins.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Can someone post the recommended characters for the last 2 cups, so don't know if I should use my coins to buy two characters I don't have or save them for a possible High End Character in the shop...

Mr.Adele

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
guys how do I see the users list? I need at least 3 friends for that challenge... I dont understand the "reply the thread to see hidden content", I clicked on reply and on the text there was nothing on the [hidden content].... :(

add me guys

• ResetERA Username: Hentz
  • Mario Kart Tour Username: guilhermehentz
  • Friend-Code: 7003-5259-5258

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Can someone post the recommended characters for the last 2 cups, so don't know if I should use my coins to buy two characters I don't have or save them for a possible High End Character in the shop...
Dry Bowser, Peach, Musician Mario second to last. Metal Mario/Yoshi, Diddy Kong, Musician Mario and Pauline for the last.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
tournewtracks.png

So I just made another discovery! In addition to Tokyo having 2 tracks, it seems we also have a 2nd New York track coming too! That screenshot of the Statue of Liberty is not visible in New York Minute, and there is no enclosed road either from where that track is shot.

guys how do I see the users list? I need at least 3 friends for that challenge... I dont understand the "reply the thread to see hidden content", I clicked on reply and on the text there was nothing on the [hidden content].... :(

add me guys

• ResetERA Username: Hentz
  • Mario Kart Tour Username: guilhermehentz
  • Friend-Code: 7003-5259-5258

I think it means that you have to reply in this thread to see it, rather than reply to the OP specifically. I did that as a way to keep lurkers out from seeing the list.

I'll get on adding everyone who just replied to the list super quick. :)

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017
Dry Bowser, Peach, Musician Mario second to last. Metal Mario/Yoshi, Diddy Kong, Musician Mario and Pauline for the last.

Thank you! I think I need to spend my coins in Diddy Kong to have a chance in the second race of the last cup... I don't have Musician Mario or Dry Bowser so this will be hard ):

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It just occured to me that with this being a gacha game, Mona, Ashley, and Jimmy T. might finally get into a Mario Kart. Heck we might even see the return of DK Jr.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I haven't tried it yet but do any of you have experience with using gems to acquire coins from that coin rush mode? It seems really gem expensive to me but how many coins can you reliably get from it? If all the drivers/cars/gliders can appear in the coin shop, now I'm wondering what's the best use of gems. Do you roll the slot machine and risk your gems on that? Or do you spend all the gems on coin rush and just patiently wait for everything to show up in the coin shop?

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried it yet but do any of you have experience with using gems to acquire coins from that coin rush mode? It seems really gem expensive to me but how many coins can you reliably get from it? If all the drivers/cars/gliders can appear in the coin shop, now I'm wondering what's the best use of gems. Do you roll the slot machine and risk your gems on that? Or do you spend all the gems on coin rush and just patiently wait for everything to show up in the coin shop?

Coin Rush is essentially driving in New York Minute and getting super easy to reach coins. It doesn't take much effort to gather all 400 coins each time because Gold Mario draws nearby ones to him. Then you put a multiplier on that, so for 5 rubies you can get 800 coins because you paid for a 2x multiplier for example. I think it is best used if you see something in the shop you really want and don't want to try your luck at the pipe.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

404 coins (x multiplier).

I'm definitely going to drop this game entirely by the end of the month -- just don't know if I'll hold out for the next tour or not. I think I got the Skinner box cravings out of my system.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
It just occured to me that with this being a gacha game, Mona, Ashley, and Jimmy T. might finally get into a Mario Kart. Heck we might even see the return of DK Jr.
I'd like to see the characters from the Mario Kart arcade games be added, like Pac-Man, Mametchi, Don-Chan, etc.

Since Nintendo and Bamco have such a close relationship now, I feel it would be an easy thing to plan out.

Hopefully everyone from all past MK games make it in. (R.O.B. definitely deserves his spot back.)

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Coin Rush is essentially driving in New York Minute and getting super easy to reach coins. It doesn't take much effort to gather all 400 coins each time because Gold Mario draws nearby ones to him. Then you put a multiplier on that, so for 5 rubies you can get 800 coins because you paid for a 2x multiplier for example. I think it is best used if you see something in the shop you really want and don't want to try your luck at the pipe.

404 coins (x multiplier).

Damn.
So assuming this has no limit..... hypothetically if you see a super rare thing to buy in the coin shop , you can buy a bunch of gems that day and farm coin rush till you have the amount necessary. That's kinda dirty with how tempting that would be. Fuck. Why even risk throwing gems in the pipe for repeats? I guess it levels stuff up but I think I'll be saving my gems from now on and stop using them for pulls. My two 10 pulls were not kind to me.

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think everyone who got snubbed from MK8 will come back. Given how many characters this game is going to add over its life it isn't a tall order to ask for the missing 8. (DK Jr., Paratroopa, Petey, R.O.B., Birdo, Funky, Wiggler, Honey Queen)

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Truthfully I'd love for Petey, Wiggler, Honey Queen, and Inklings to return.
I legit loved using Wiggler, Petey, and Honey Queen so I'd be happy for their return.

I think the reason Honey Queen is so hated in the fan base is due to the glaring omissions the MK7 roster had. If it wasn't for that I think a lot of people would think she was a neat left field addition.

Mr. Blue Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Managed to snag Pauline and Peachette from the pipe with my two 10 pull so that was pretty nice.

If I'm not mistaken the best time to use the two week free trial on the gold pass would be towards the end of next week right? That way you can snag all the gifts from this tour and the next or am I thinking about this wrong?

OP
OP
Gartooth

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn.
So assuming this has no limit..... hypothetically if you see a super rare thing to buy in the coin shop , you can buy a bunch of gems that day and farm coin rush till you have the amount necessary. That's kinda dirty with how tempting that would be. Fuck. Why even risk throwing gems in the pipe for repeats? I guess it levels stuff up but I think I'll be saving my gems from now on and stop using them for pulls. My two 10 pulls were not kind to me.

The tradeoff from using rubies for coin rush is that you are spending more rubies for ultimately less stuff, but the stuff you spend it on in the shop is guaranteed vs. random chance at the pipe.

For instance, a high-end character costs 12,000 coins from the shop, and not even using 25 rubies for the 10x multiplier would give you enough coins to buy them alone. So it mostly depends on the situation for which is best.

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
I see there is a car reward for New York Tour Gift, if I don't activate my gold pass, will I miss on that car forever?

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I see there is a car reward for New York Tour Gift, if I don't activate my gold pass, will I miss on that car forever?
Some of the kart rewards (Bull's-Eye Banzai, Gold Blooper, and Black B Dasher) are currently only available through the gold pass. We don't know if they'll ever be available through other means.

But that being said, Metal Mario is also a gold pass reward and you can get him in other ways, so it's possible. Also, since all characters and equipment in the game can be strengthened by obtaining multiples of them, it implies that we'll have multiple chances to obtain everything in the game.

Khalid

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the kart rewards are currently only available through the gold pass. We don't know if they'll ever be available through other means.

But that being said, Metal Mario is also a gold pass reward and you can get him in other ways, so it's possible. Also, since all characters and equipment in the game can be strengthened by obtaining multiples of them, it implies that we'll have multiple chances to obtain everything in the game.
Ok, thanks for the quick response!