• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously what the fuck is up with adventure mode? I see people are clearing it easily in less than 3 hours but I've spent the last hour stuck on BLOOPER after the third boss with no end in sight. This is the hardest time I've had with a game in ages!!

The difficulty is pretty out of whack but it's ultimately still short. I had troubles at the boo mansion, then was fine until the blooper, then was fine for the rest of the game. Some of the actual end game normal tennis matches are straight up braindead easy, it's really weird.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Instead of the character you should be able to see the rank of the player you're facing even of it's not a perfect ELO system.

I just got bodied back to back by two players with over 20 and 35k. Well, second match when to a tie breaker, but still

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just had a super intense match against a Waluigi. Mario prevailed. This game can get so real.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Instead of the character you should be able to see the rank of the player you're facing even of it's not a perfect ELO system.

I just got bodied back to back by two players with over 20 and 35k. Well, second match when to a tie breaker, but still

That doesn't sound like a good idea. Right now the points might mean something since it's only been out a few days but after a few weeks it'll mean nothing except show they played a lot. It's not like you can lose points. Also if you can see their scores, so many people will dodge because they don't want to lose and that's exactly what you're saying you want to do.

I personally think you should only be able to see their connection so people don't dodge characters they are bad against either.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
the squid on the ship is harder than Octo expansion wth
and the pole in the middle is doing all his favor.

I decided to broke all his four rackets in order to win.

I call this kinda bullshit difficulty spike, and I donno if I can keep playing if things only get harder from here.

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
balance is so out of whacked in this game , and people say its a fighting game?

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the balance stuff is a little overstated. I've been using a lot of characters and have been doing pretty much fine with all of them. They all seem to have subtle strengths.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
That doesn't sound like a good idea. Right now the points might mean something since it's only been out a few days but after a few weeks it'll mean nothing except show they played a lot. It's not like you can lose points. Also if you can see their scores, so many people will dodge because they don't want to lose and that's exactly what you're saying you want to do.

I personally think you should only be able to see their connection so people don't dodge characters they are bad against either.

I'd rather have a half assed measure like that at this point than having matches against guys that barely know the controls after getting destroyed by a flawless player, tbh.

Also, is it really fair to match a player with 200 points against someone with over 40K for example, regardless of how 'meaningless' those points might be?

If that happens to me I sure as hell don't want a part of that.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
man I really wish there was a mode without trick shots. or a heavy nerf to them. you should not be able to reach anywhere on the court that easily. argh. getting frustrated with this shit Lol.

there have also been so many times where the buttons either don't respond, or I'm right next to the ball and the character does nothing. It's like... what's going on. aaaah. It's still a super fun game but sooo many bullshit moments hahah

There is, simple mode.
no, I mean no trickshots. Not no anything. I like the power shots, and having the racket health, etc. that being said it will be super interesting to see how camelot handles the balancing assuming they will support this game with post launch patches and gameplay balance updates

typhy

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
he literally said not simple mode at the bottom of his post you lads need to slow down when u read

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
Still unsure why certain trick shots will throw a lob vs a slice shot. I assume that's me accidentally ending my right analog flick upwards right? Seemed to happen more often while playing with Toadette.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Played a really good Luigi that was trickshotting almost every single return. He had a super up every 4 or so returns. Absolutely ridiculous.

Between trickshots not actually using up your meter and the insane range of some character, I feel it's incredibly difficult to punish people for being out of position.

Still unsure why certain trick shots will throw a lob vs a slice shot. I assume that's me accidentally ending my right analog flick upwards right? Seemed to happen more often while playing with Toadette.
I believe someone posted a couple of pages ago it's how you hold the left stick.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
the squid on the ship is harder than Octo expansion wth
and the pole in the middle is doing all his favor.

I decided to broke all his four rackets in order to win.

I call this kinda bullshit difficulty spike, and I donno if I can keep playing if things only get harder from here.

There's one more similar spike, I suggest you just use the same approach and break their shit. Most of the actual bosses are a piece of cake in comparison.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Man the Tourney is so much harder than the Beta. I won it 4 times in the beta and now I can't even reach the semi.
There is like 0 match making, I've seen the same players over & over and sometimes their points are in the 80K. Honestly, it's a huge bummer because I'm pretty sure all new comers and beginners will abandon the game in a couple of days and the ceiling to winning will keep getting higher and higher.

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
Played a really good Luigi that was trickshotting almost every single return. He had a super up every 4 or so returns. Absolutely ridiculous.

Between trickshots not actually using up your meter and the insane range of some character, I feel it's incredibly difficult to punish people for being out of position.

I believe someone posted a couple of pages ago it's how you hold the left stick.

I try trick shotting most of my returns as well and what works is for people to just do a drop shot near me. Gets me every time. You'll see me flip past the ball :(

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel bad for liking Bowser Jr and Waluigi lol. I've had the best luck with the latter since the demo, didn't think it was that high.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
Mate, Waluigi, Bowser Jr and Boo are hardly subtle.

Lack of content: Don't care
Cumbersome menus: Don't care
Mediocre graphics: Don't care

But that unbalanced as hell roster of players is annoying as fuck. First of all, it's unfair.
Second of all, the low variety of opponent character is making tournament mode very monotone. There's not a ton of content to begin with, so when I see the same three guys/ghosts over and over again..... bad game design. IT'S A FUCKING MARIO GAME!
Why does the game penalize me when I pick Mario?

Too many posters in this thread are downplaying this issue, others are basically giving those who complain a longform version of GIT GUD ("you have to read the shots", "play closer to the net", "but he doesn't have a ton of XYZ"). IT'S A FUCKING MARIO GAME!
All characters should give you the same shot at winning.
Acting as if it's not a big design flaw that some characters force you to use to a one dimensional tactic (play close to the net), which can be countered (lob).... is just.... smh

disclaimer: My win % is actually at 61% right now, but I only started winning when I started to exclusively use the "BIG THREE" characters.

Thx for providing this. No Boo's ?

typhy

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
boo is really bad against people who know how to play against the slice
it's the only thing he has, his shots all go super slow

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Boo players can crush newer players but if you know what you're doing you bully them back. Then they probably swap to Bowser Jr. instead.

It's because you're trying to do a trick shot with no meter. It's a form of punishment.

Back trick is a flat.

Oh, right. Back is flat and front is a drop.

If a trick shot leads to a lob I think the only way that happens is not having any meter left.

Johnny

Oct 28, 2017

It's weird how just two days ago everyone said Chain Chomp was OP. Now Luigi and Yoshi are both more popular at the high end.

This is very early in the game's life to make any massive changes, things are still figured out. I would start by slightly nerfing Bowser JR and slightly buffing Toadette (She's very weak) and let it play out for a week.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Thx for providing this. No Boo's ?

Surprised at that, no Rosalinas either.

I feel people rely too much on slices during rallies with these two characters when I feel the best use is to have a strong service game and a very reliable trick shot.

I rarely use slices on long rallies only pulling it up when I'm in complete control doing a mixup, I find that a one tap top spin gives me way more control over my opponent.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Boo is trash. If you lose to a Boo regularly, you actually need to GIT GUD.

It's the defense-type characters that are legit game-destroying. Overpowered to a ridiculous degree.

The whole archtype just seems like it's not a good idea in a tennis game. Even without taking crazy stuff like trickshots into account, I don't see the baseline advantage of picking a small fast character instead of someone who just has pure reach. I'm assuming the twitter post above is standard, but I'm pretty sure simple is almost the same atleast with Bowser Jr./Waluigi showing up. Reach is the absolute best thing you can have in a game like this, and it's not someone that has a give-and-take to it like you can image with a power character losing speed. Defense feels like an all arounder with upsides.

The biggest thing bugging me about the core balance here is on top of their normal reach is the trickshots. If you can basically stand center court, charge and damn near hit either side, if you're on the wrong side as a defense character they can still just flick to the other side. If they play at the net, a lob is very easy to return with either a light usage of zone speed (which now gives them a star shot) or they trick backwards. I atleast could imagine defense at having great left-right coverage, but a Bowser Jr. at the net isn't gonna get stopped by a lob, they shouldn't even have a back or forward trick imo. If they're out of position they need to be punished harder than any other class.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Cleared some battles so far and I let my nephews replay some early matches and I just keep leveling up? is there any benefit of leveling up in Adventure Mode or it's just a number??

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Cotdam, Toadette :(

It kind of makes it sweeter that I'm not doing bad online, I guess. Living that low tier life!

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Yeah, backward trickshots seem stupid right now, still waiting to see how the play evolves.

I said it some pages ago, but it renders lob shots completely useless 90% of the time even after you force your rival to the net with a drop shot.

Only time to really try and pull it off is when your enemy has almost no meter left to go for zone speed or the trick shot. How can you make a base shot so situational? Jesus.

Edit: Someone uploaded this, that is some top tier bullshit Bowser Jr stuff.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
How do you volley the ball near the net so it goes fast. Each time I try to go near the net, whether I charge or not, the shot is ridiculously slow and usless to the point I reach the top of the screen faster with a ball I sent from the bottom, that from the net.
Is it a 2/1 tap thing or type of shot (blue/red/purple) ?
What's so good about Boo ? I've yet to see one I couldn't win against, and I'm not at my best right now, at all.
I actually agree the balance isn't as bad as people say because as much as I remember having trouble against some Bowser Jr, I also got destroyed by a Peach (that was my hardest match ever) as well as a Mario (not as bad).

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
removing backward trick shots from the game entirely would improve it a lot IMO

Across the board I do feel like this too.

Just looking at every tool, lob shots are by far the riskiest thing you can do due to what it sets up for the opponent, but they're not even effective in the most obvious case (net huggers) because of the backtrick. People even have time to charge a bunch, cancel late and still hit it.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm done with the game until some balance patches, even then I'm not sure if I'll return unless certain things are fixed.

Semi-final and final matches of tournaments are like 95% defensive characters. I agree 100% that backward and forward trick shots need to go. It's impossible to properly punish people for playing close to the net, not fun at all.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
How do you volley the ball near the net so it goes fast ?

Each time I try to go near the net, whether I charge or not, the shot is ridiculously slow and usless to the point I reach the top of the screen faster with a ball I sent from the bottom, that from the net.

Is it a 2/1 tap thing or type of shot (blue/red/purple) ?

What's so good about Boo ? I've yet to see one I couldn't win against, and I'm not at my best right now, at all.
I actually agree the balance isn't as bad as people say because as much as I remember having trouble against some Bowser Jr, I also got destroyed by a Peach (that was my hardest match ever) as well as a Mario (not as bad).
Bein able to focus shot at serve is stupid
But it's the easiest to stop without zone speed.
I think a back trick is a lob?

Left/right is always a slice.
Back trick is a flat fast shot
Cleared some battles so far and I let my nephews replay some early matches and I just keep leveling up? is there any benefit of leveling up in Adventure Mode or it's just a number??
Just a number.
The whole archtype just seems like it's not a good idea in a tennis game. Even without taking crazy stuff like trickshots into account, I don't see the baseline advantage of picking a small fast character instead of someone who just has pure reach. I'm assuming the twitter post above is standard, but I'm pretty sure simple is almost the same atleast with Bowser Jr./Waluigi showing up. Reach is the absolute best thing you can have in a game like this, and it's not someone that has a give-and-take to it like you can image with a power character losing speed. Defense feels like an all arounder with upsides.

The biggest thing bugging me about the core balance here is on top of their normal reach is the trickshots. If you can basically stand center court, charge and damn near hit either side, if you're on the wrong side as a defense character they can still just flick to the other side. If they play at the net, a lob is very easy to return with either a light usage of zone speed (which now gives them a star shot) or they trick backwards. I atleast could imagine defense at having great left-right coverage, but a Bowser Jr. at the net isn't gonna get stopped by a lob, they shouldn't even have a back or forward trick imo. If they're out of position they need to be punished harder than any other class.
It might do the opposite. Back trick shot is the best to gather energy, so removing it could make them worse than speed characters. Maybe they just need to have the worst speed out of every characters as well as worse metter filling, while speed characters could fill more energy with the same amount of moves.

Sniffynose

Oct 30, 2017
Man the Tourney is so much harder than the Beta. I won it 4 times in the beta and now I can't even reach the semi.
There is like 0 match making, I've seen the same players over & over and sometimes their points are in the 80K. Honestly, it's a huge bummer because I'm pretty sure all new comers and beginners will abandon the game in a couple of days and the ceiling to winning will keep getting higher and higher.
Yup my wife and kids are almost at their breaking point. It might be the first game I ever use my ebgames guarantee on and return for credit =/

There's just so many no-brainer problems like is it that hard to put a retry option if you fail in adventure mode ffs?

Nintendo needs to wake the fuck up, why on earth would I want to pay for zero matchmaking?! Fire the bloody old dinosaurs already and hire some people that actually play games and know what online and expected quality of life features are in today's games.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México
Also, I'm pretty sure Rosalinas lob got a massive downgrade compared to the demo, way to empower other archetypes even more, Camelot.

Not that I'd ever recommend using it, but...Yeah.
How do you volley the ball near the net so it goes fast. Each time I try to go near the net, whether I charge or not, the shot is ridiculously slow and usless to the point I reach the top of the screen faster with a ball I sent from the bottom, that from the net.

Try one tapping with a top or flat, if you're running you won't have time to charge and it'll most likely position your character in a manner in which your shot will be whiffed and won't net you any meter charge leaving you exposed.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Yeah, backward trickshots seem stupid right now, still waiting to see how the play evolves.

I said it some pages ago, but it renders lob shots completely useless 90% of the time even after you force your rival to the net with a drop shot.

Only time to really try and pull it off is when your enemy has almost no meter left to go for zone speed or the trick shot. How can you make a base shot so situational? Jesus.

Edit: Someone uploaded this, that is some top tier bullshit Bowser Jr stuff.

I haven't faced a Bowser Jr yet, but jesus christ that coverage is ridiculous

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
This game needs matchmaking so damn badly. I can't believe its not in there. What is going on with Nintendo? Why wouldn't somebody at Camelot or Nintendo be like, "Hmm... Maybe we should put some matchmaking in so people don't just keep getting slaughtered."

Kinda blows my mind.

regenhuber

Nov 4, 2017
I think I'm done with the game until some balance patches, even then I'm not sure if I'll return unless certain things are fixed.

Semi-final and final matches of tournaments are like 95% defensive characters. I agree 100% that backward and forward trick shots need to go. It's impossible to properly punish people for playing close to the net, not fun at all.

I'm also on the edge tbh
If there was any other new interesting game out at the moment, I'd drop Aces today.
I stopped playing FIFA & NBA 2K online because I can't stand always seeing the same teams (Real, Bayern, Warriors, Cavs etc.), really don't get how Camelot managed to create that same situation in a game with fictional characters ffs