• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
So is the waggle mode worse because the technology in the Joycon is different/less accurate than the Wiimote, or does it have to do with it being a tacked on mode?

Waffle

Oct 28, 2017
I've ran into instances where the players dc'ing when they are losing gets the points. What is this? :(

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK

atom519

Oct 28, 2017
I find that I tap X several times out of habit to 'confirm' shots, and when I'm trying to perform certain special moves (drop/lob) with X I accidentally trigger the shortcut for the trick shot.

I'm a fidgety presser so that'll be a fun obstacle to overcome!

Same. I would love to be able to disable the double tap X to trickshot in the options because this happens to be frequently.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I was happy yesterday because all my online matches had really good connection but today I tried wireless and it was horrible. Really bummed about my purchase now, thinking of asking for a refund but I'm not sure if I'll be able to since I redeemed the gold points already.

Anybody knows how this works in these cases?

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The single player bored me that I quit half an hour in.

Enjoying the multiplayer though a lot of people seem very good at the game already.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend & I are going to kill each other with this game, I can't wait.

Razirel

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's already been answered, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is there anything that triggers star points to appear? I didn't play too much of the demo, but going through adventure mode they seem to just randomly show up from time to time

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
So is the waggle mode worse because the technology in the Joycon is different/less accurate than the Wiimote, or does it have to do with it being a tacked on mode?
I've only played a few minutes so take my impressions with a grain of salt. Swing mode is heavily timing based and mostly is a proxy for button presses. Given the nature of the timing it's very easy to hit a ball out and controls lack any finesse wii tennis had. This adds up to a mode that is actually less accessible than just using a regular stick+buttons, where characters gravitate towards the ball and almost never hit a ball out of bounds.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's already been answered, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is there anything that triggers star points to appear? I didn't play too much of the demo, but going through adventure mode they seem to just randomly show up from time to time

I think it's bad returns from the opponent? If they only just hit the ball back, You get the star so you can punish them.

At least, I think that's how it worked in the past games...

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played a few minutes so take my impressions with a grain of salt. Swing mode is heavily timing based and mostly is a proxy for button presses. Given the nature of the timing it's very easy to hit a ball out and controls lack any finesse wii tennis had. This adds up to a mode that is actually less accessible than just using a regular stick+buttons, where characters gravitate towards the ball and almost never hit a ball out of bounds.

That doesn't sound like what I wanted, can't believe they botched this.

I thought this could replace ARMS as the game I play when I want to stand and casually move around a bit.

Wiped

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That doesn't sound like what I wanted, can't believe they botched this.

I thought this could replace ARMS as the game I play when I want to stand and casually move around a bit.

I'm right there with you. I wanted to break from Mario Kart & Wii Sports Resort Table Tennis with this with my gf and family when they come over, but it looks like it won't cut it.

Hype dead. Order plans cancelled.

Moai

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chile
this is a really solid tennis game. the mode without powers feels like the best mix between arcade and simulation tennis game in years (not that there are many tennis games but still).

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to confirm before hitting that download button, I can play online just like in the demo now? And are there both classic and simple online tournaments?

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Just to confirm before hitting that download button, I can play online just like in the demo now? And are there both classic and simple online tournaments?

yes the tournament is like the demo and is running all the time, there is tournament for normal and simple mode and the points and leaderboards are seperated for both

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017

this is correct, it's crazy that the table tennis game is so much better in control

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I legit don't like a single thing about about this game outside of the core gameplay. All the omissions and arbitrary restrictions are baffling to me.

May 5, 2018
Played a little of adventure mode and offline tennis matches. Liking it so far. Adventure mode early on has enough variety in it that's worth playing through. Got a wooden racket after beating Spike's challenge. Also the Petey fight was good practice for Zone Shots and Zone Speed. The trick shot portion was weird as some tornadoes had a gap to where I was standing and felt no need to do trick movements.

I'm leaning towards playing as the Power characters as I had fun playing as Wario and Chain Chomp and I want to play as Spike. But I'll see who I end up maining.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The drop shot is unrealistic AF, they aren't even that much shorter than a normal slice and the main difference is that the ball pretty much doesn't bounce at all.

Revven

Oct 27, 2017

Even though I don't have the game, I just want to comment that Swing Mode is also accounting for the charge shot mechanic in the game. So, if you're going to swing I imagine sometimes you might be doing a Charge Shot by mistake and thus it won't be 1:1 with your swing.

If they wanted to make it like Wii Sports, they would have really had to remove Charge Shots from the mode. Why they didn't is beyond me, especially since it is a separate mode where they could justify in removing them.

The drop shot is unrealistic AF, they aren't even that much shorter than a normal slice and the main difference is that the ball pretty much doesn't bounce at all.

Drop shots in Mario Tennis have always been unrealistic, at least as far back as Power Tennis iirc (maybe even 64 but it's been awhile since I played that and did a fully charged drop shot).

Christo750

May 10, 2018
All the problems I had with the online demo have been fixed for the retail version. Excellent.

Core tennis gameplay is the best it's ever been. Lack of options is bewildering but hopefully, it's something that can be fixed by a patch.

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I don't have the game, I just want to comment that Swing Mode is also accounting for the charge shot mechanic in the game. So, if you're going to swing I imagine sometimes you might be doing a Charge Shot by mistake and thus it won't be 1:1 with your swing.
Yea for charge shots you hold your controller like you are ready to swing and then wait for the timing. I think it makes sense in a game-y way, but not immediately intuitive for anyone expecting an experience anything like Wii tennis.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if Nintendo had a refund system, I'd make use of it. This was a waste of my money. The core mechanics are good but everything else is a huge letdown. Well done, Nintendo, you've now made me wary of buying your games early. I haven't trusted reviewers in years, and looking at the scores for this one, I'm right to do it. This game is not an 75-80 title. To me anyway, this is a 60 at best.

Link_enfant

One Winged Slayer
Jan 20, 2018
France
As always, never disappointed by those sweet Era OT titles. Also great OP, Street Fighter clone killed meme lol

How good are motion controls? I really wanted to try them in that game when I get it but I heard bad impressions here and there, that would actually disappoint me even though I usually don't care for motion controls. Sounded fun in such a great tennis game.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Hm, I can't seem to get a doubles game going if I join solo...no problems joining as a team and adding a CPU character.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
I find that I tap X several times out of habit to 'confirm' shots, and when I'm trying to perform certain special moves (drop/lob) with X I accidentally trigger the shortcut for the trick shot.

I'm a fidgety presser so that'll be a fun obstacle to overcome!
Gotta stop using X for those shots. B -> A is drop shot A -> B is lob and the right stick is trick shot in the direction you press

Lan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if Nintendo had a refund system, I'd make use of it. This was a waste of my money. The core mechanics are good but everything else is a huge letdown. Well done, Nintendo, you've now made me wary of buying your games early. I haven't trusted reviewers in years, and looking at the scores for this one, I'm right to do it. This game is not an 75-80 title. To me anyway, this is a 60 at best.
I'm in the same boat. I'm pretty surprised by the review scores. Looking back at Ultra Smash scores and what was on offer for that game for $50, I think reviewers were extra lenient on Aces.

EDIT: To be fair, I prepurchased this game early on. Reviews probably would have been enough to dissuade me, but by then it was too late.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

There's tons of reviews out there that perfectly describe the game's shortcomings. Looking at an average score has never been a foolproof method to discern a game's quality.

Birdmandrew

Nov 3, 2017
Same. I would love to be able to disable the double tap X to trickshot in the options because this happens to be frequently.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I'd also love to have the option to disable this and prevent the accidental input.

Gotta stop using X for those shots. B -> A is drop shot A -> B is lob and the right stick is trick shot in the direction you press

Definitely will build the muscle memory for these shot inputs, just have to condition myself to not do the thing!

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
I'm absolutely loving my time with this so far. Only thing I can't figure out is trick shots...it says my timing is always late. When should I start my trick shot?

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's tons of reviews out there that perfectly describe the game's shortcomings. Looking at an average score has never been a foolproof method to discern a game's quality.
I didnt say I just looked at the average, I read actual reviews. And a game with this many shortcomings is not worthy of that average score to me. This game is a huge disappointment imo.

noomi

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Shipped and arriving today! Pretty excited to try this!

I know the game just came out and all, but do you guys think we will have any substantial updates and support for the game? Possibly more maps, new players, and even more single-player content?

TheIdiot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Now I see why Nintendo was giving away double gold coins haha. Softening the blow they knew was going to come, trying to sway people to preorder before finding out about all the game's shortcomings.

Planx

Oct 27, 2017
I'm absolutely loving my time with this so far. Only thing I can't figure out is trick shots...it says my timing is always late. When should I start my trick shot?
it depends on the character. Some people move across quickly, others (Waluigi comes to mind) take their time. You have to go into practice mode to figure out each's timing

AllBusinessJr

Oct 27, 2017
Shipped and arriving today! Pretty excited to try this!

I know the game just came out and all, but do you guys think we will have any substantial updates and support for the game? Possibly more maps, new players, and even more single-player content?

Anyone's guess... The fact that people are already clamoring for new content/options to be added via patch, and that is the furthest thing from a guarantee at this point, is a disappointment in and of itself.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Hrmmm after reading everyone's thoughts on the game I think I am just not going to pick up my pre order. I will see if they add more options and modes later but it doesn't seem worth it at the moment for me. Sucks, I was looking forward to it.