Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People are going to tell you that Spider-Man isn't high risk, even though it was.
I'm sure they will. The reality is, any AAA game with a budget like Spider-Man is extremely high risk, especially so if it isn't on a GaaS model or with micro transactions. DLC in this form is the less "anti consumer" scenario you will get.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: System Wars
hahaha in how many threads are you gunna go and boast about you cancelling your pre-order. I guess they will be okay with selling one less copy from like 10 million.

Man, some of you Sony soldiers are dedicated people I will give you that, wow. All I said was that this is annoying and definitely NOT common for any story driven game to be marketing paid DLC prior to launch, and I will go ahead and use the vaunted Metacritic average to determine the timing of my purchase of Spider-Man based on how much I feel like paying for their content.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Make it happen insomniac
f00ad61d3a9f361587edf795e96e5a17.png

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure they will. The reality is, any AAA game with a budget like Spider-Man is extremely high risk, especially so if it isn't on a GaaS model or with micro transactions. DLC in this form is the less "anti consumer" scenario you will get.
Even GaaS games are risky, I feel like this entire industry is one large risk after risk at a time.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind getting a clearer picture of upcoming DLC content looks like. It's better than being kept on the dark and taking a gamble.

I trust Insominac enough to take the risk, and Sony's first-party DLC output has been great, so I have high hopes.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not being paranoid. I'm just picking as a consumer not to buy the DLC just like i didn't buy Goro for MXX. Do you have any backing for what you just said about THIS dlc except for Insomniac's word? You can choose to listen to a company that is supposed to make money however i just sit on the side of caution. Why does it bother you so much that someone isn't going to buy DLC or people don't like DLC so close to release? A consumer is allowed dislike certain aspects of a product. It's my money so MY feelings on the product matters. I'm stating my opinion on the subject. No need to be on the defense force
I don't care what you buy. Notice how none of my comments were about why or why shouldn't you buy it or anything like that. The product doesn't matter for the broader point here

I'm talking about the nature of game development and the knee-jerk paranoia to stuff that is a common aspect of game dev. Instantly defaulting to they could just be saying it's not cut content is being paranoid.

Aug 2, 2018
Man, some of you Sony soldiers are dedicated people I will give you that, wow. All I said was that this is annoying and definitely NOT common for any story driven game to be marketing paid DLC prior to launch, and I will go ahead and use the vaunted Metacritic average to determine the timing of my purchase of Spider-Man based on how much I feel like paying for their content.
It is industry standard to release a season pass, regardless of singleplayer or multiplayer. Unlike other publishers however, Insomniac has given details on what's in it so people can know whether it's for them or not.

i just find it so funny that people like you see the word dlc and come running with your pitchforks accusing devs of cutting content and creating fake outrage, having zero idea about how game development works, and then bragging about how you will cancel preorders.

Jul 24, 2018
Could have sworn that was Catwoman for a sec, like her design for sure. Here's hoping these DLCs are meatier than the likes of Arkham Knight's.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
It is industry standard to release a season pass, regardless of singleplayer or multiplayer. Unlike other publishers however, Insomniac has given details on what's in it so people can know whether it's for them or not.

i just find it so funny that people like you see the word dlc and come running with your pitchforks accusing devs of cutting content and creating fake outrage, having zero idea about how game development works, and then bragging about how you will cancel preorders.

I didn't personally say anything about cutting content, as my comments are entirely focused on the marketing timing of specific "story" content before the game even releases. This definitely leaves those who just bought the standard edition feeling like they have less of the game before they have even seen the reviews or been able to play it on launch day. That is what I think sucks in this instance. It does sound like they may be "teasing" with Black Cat stuff through the main story also, which isn't necessarily a great look either if true given that I don't recall most paid DLC doing anything like that (rather treating it as more true standalone stuff). By comparison would everyone be happy if some "Frozen Wilds" paid DLC was being dangled in the main story of Horizon Zero Dawn?

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy if each piece of these is 3 hours long, about 1:30 - 2 hrs of story content, then 1 hr of extras. I think that's decent enough and reasonable enough to expect.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This definitely leaves those who just bought the standard edition feeling like they have less of the game before they have even seen the reviews or been able to play it on launch day
Maybe for you, but I haven't even pre-ordered the game and I am not miffed that this has been shown and I still plan on just getting the base game.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
We get a teaser for a dlc one day before the release of the game.
And if I remember correctly last year Insomniac told the game was fully playable already, so I think it's safe to say those dlcs, also considering their release schedule, are cut content (well, not really "cut" because if Insomniac is smart they are proper download, but they could easily include those in the game already).
Ugh.

Insomniac started work on these DLCs with a separate team. Insomniac hired a Senior Writer in early August specifically to write the story for the second piece of DLC. These DLC episodes are done after the fact, planned many, many months in advance. Scheduled after the game has gone gold and it goes off for certification. They aren't cut content pieces, and they couldn't "easily include those in the game already", when they're not even done and won't be done until around 3 months after they started.

Aug 2, 2018
I didn't personally say anything about cutting content, as my comments are entirely focused on the marketing timing of specific "story" content before the game even releases. This definitely leaves those who just bought the standard edition feeling like they have less of the game before they have even seen the reviews or been able to play it on launch day. That is what I think sucks in this instance. It does sound like they may be "teasing" with Black Cat stuff through the main story also, which isn't necessarily a great look either if true given that I don't recall most paid DLC doing anything like that (rather treating it as more true standalone stuff). By comparison would everyone be happy if some "Frozen Wilds" paid DLC was being dangled in the main story of Horizon Zero Dawn?
Fair enough. I guess you can make your decision after you see the reviews.

Witcher 3 in fact did tease Gaunter O'Dimm in the base game and then expanded on him in the first DLC. It just depends on how it's done. We will see.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I hope these DLC packs add new repeatable activities to the open world. So with each new DLC it would refresh the feeling of swinging around the city.

Also, it would be nice to get some "challenge maps" like the ones in the Arkham games where we can play as other characters like Black Cat and Daredevil.

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
They might be well-known, but they're not his good villains. There's nothing interesting about Scorpion or Electro. Meanwhile almost every Spidey villain who could provide an actually interesting boss fight isn't in the game.
Every time I read your comments in a Spider-Man thread you sound like the king of the arm chair developers. Haven't played the game, yet you know none of these bosses can make for interesting boss battles. I'm so glad I'm not a developer and lurk this forum because some posters here really do come across as arrogant and ignorant at the same time.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Why, then?

Because this is nothing that a LOT of other games did and the backlash was nowhere near this

Because the very thing that this place is? A discussion forum, a place with many different opinions! some that are even negative towards the things you like.

I know it's fucking crazy.

Anyway I've not long finished Arkham Knight and as good as some of that was I'm really hoping Spiderman feels less on rails. It was an open world with a lot of different activities ect ect but it was overly scripted. Really hoping the reviews tomorrow pick up on that point.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I get that Black Cat is a staple Spider-Man character but zzzzz would've preferred some other character. Still buying, obviously.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Because the very thing that this place is? A discussion forum, a place with many different opinions! some that are even negative towards the things you like.

I know it's fucking crazy.

Anyway I've not long finished Arkham Knight and as good as some of that was I'm really hoping Spiderman feels less on rails. It was an open world with a lot of different activities ect ect but it was overly scripted. Really hoping the reviews tomorrow pick up on that point.
Maybe o didn't catch my point.

Im not cursing the discussion, but the fact that a lot more people seem to be upset over this than other games.
Is 100% fine that people doesn't like, but my question is, why ?

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Plenty of DLC is derived from plot threads found in the base game. Most of the DLC in Bioware games expand upon characters, lore, and destinations that are talked about in the base game. Personally, I'd much rather have the DLC feel connected to the base game in some way. You're expanding on what you already know and love and it usually extends the experience with something that you're actually interested in. If it's not vital to the main story told in the base game, I don't see the issue.

I do have a problem with their marketing though. I don't think anyone would be complaining about this DLC if they waited until a week or two after launch to reveal this info. If they tease that Black Cat could be roaming around New York in the base game, then it would have been a nice surprise to find out that she actually does show up in the DLC. But now it will feel less like a natural easter egg and more like a setup for the DLC. The manner in which they revealed this information completely shifts the perspective on everything. I still don't have a problem with the content of the DLC deriving from something teased in the main game. Or with a small $10 DLC pack coming out nearly two months after the base game (Why are people acting like this shit is coming out day one?). But it could have been handled better.

I shouldn't be surprised though. This is probably the same Sony marketing team that loves to spoil everything in their movie trailers.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017

Im not cursing the discussion, but the fact that a lot more people seem to be upset over this than other games.

Probably because recent trends have been trying to push a ''gamers fight back'' type of narrative. You seen the success with the loot box bullshit and a lot of people have always been very sceptical towards companies DLC plans. Personally I don't see much wrong here (other than perhaps the relatively low development time means shorter content) but you always get people who are very against this type of stuff. Showing a DLC trailer before a game launches as far as I know isn't the norm hence it's attracting a lot of people.

For me if a DLC builds on the base game and adds worthwhile content then they are great. Sadly as with a lot of things in gaming that's not always the case.

WieDerrickWie

Jul 4, 2018

I can at least speak for myself about why I'm criticizing this teaser.
This game has a lot of potential.
I don't like Spider-Man yet I've pre-ordered this because I like Insonmiac's games, there hasn't been a great super hero game in a while, and what I've seen looks really cool. The web slinging alone looks like a really fun time. It really has potential to be a big fucking release and I can't help but get excited for it.
With that, I have concerns, and I want to express my concerns to hopefully get some feedback. Instead it seems like I'm getting called a troll or something which isn't solving anything.
I want to have faith but its getting slightly soured.

I should also mention it doesn't help that I feel completely burned by Far Cry 5's season pass which is a fresh wound. This game getting DLC teased before launch and then releasing only a month apart from eachother (October November December) tells me this season pass probably won't be worth it. I liked their Sunset Overdrive DLC, but they were spaced out more.
I'm hoping the main game is worth it.

Last edited:

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't like how this sounds.
As you play the base game, you'll realize that Felicia Hardy, aka Black Cat, is back in town and she's leaving clues around town to toy with Spider-Man. In Marvel's Spider-Man: The Heist, she finally reveals herself. Featuring new missions and challenges, as well as a brand new faction of enemies and three additional suits to unlock, you won't want to miss it.
Obviously it depends on the extent the "clues" but I really hope this isn't like half of Black Cat's story in the main game and the other half in the DLC.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Every time I read your comments in a Spider-Man thread you sound like the king of the arm chair developers. Haven't played the game, yet you know none of these bosses can make for interesting boss battles. I'm so glad I'm not a developer and lurk this forum because some posters here really do come across as arrogant and ignorant at the same time.

Like I said before, if Insomniac somehow manages to pull it off, I'll give kudos where kudos are due. But I have absolutely no faith in any developer making Rhino into a fun fight. The problem with this villains' gallery is that almost all of them are just the bog-standard choices. We've been fighting Shocker, Scorpion, Rhino and Vulture in just about every Spidey game we've got for the past 15 years.

By comparison, Mister Negative is an awesome choice, and I was hoping the villain selections in this game would be more along his lines.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I can at least speak for myself about why I'm criticizing this teaser.
This game has a lot of potential.
I don't like Spider-Man yet I've pre-ordered this because I like Insonmiac's games, there hasn't been a great super hero game in a while, and what I've seen looks really cool. The web slinging alone looks like a really fun time. It really has potential to be a big fucking release and I can't help but get excited for it.
With that, I have concerns, and I want to express my concerns to hopefully get some feedback. Instead it seems like I'm getting called a troll or something which isn't solving anything.
I want to have faith but its getting slightly soured.

What I find extra weird are some folks trying to stifle or shut down any criticism of this game. Blaming it on ignorance of game development, exclusivity etc. I personally don't think its cut content but content made exclusively alongside the main game just for dlc purposes which could have easily been put in the main game. I understand it from the business perspective, insomniac and Sony are probably trying to prevent people from selling their games after beating it in 12-20 hours. Whatever. That doesn't mean consumers can't feel gross about it.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Looks really good but unsure as to how I feel about advertising a DLC just prior to launch of actual game. In the past (on the old site) this was not looked upon favourably as it implied cut content especially for those who just preordered the base game. Personally, I missed out on preordering it due to an expired CC but now, I am glad I held off- between the inevitable patches and DLCs, GoTY/Complete edition will be worth the wait till next year.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope these DLC packs add new repeatable activities to the open world. So with each new DLC it would refresh the feeling of swinging around the city.

Also, it would be nice to get some "challenge maps" like the ones in the Arkham games where we can play as other characters like Black Cat and Daredevil.
According to the store page for the Deluxe Edition:

• Three chapters in Marvel's Spider-Man: The City that Never Sleeps series* – Available post launch, each chapter contains:
• Additional missions
• Additional characters from the Spider-Man universe
• Additional suits for Spider-Man​

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oh boy. Why this ship never happened after One More Day in a substantial way instead of what we got? They're so cute together.

I'm a M.J stan so I'm really glad they're back together but, Yeah I still enjoy the chemistry between Felicia and Pete. And this scene was hilarious.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't see many complaints about content roadmaps. But when, pre-release, you're showing (not just describing) content that isn't on the disc I understand how that can be irksome. It can feel less like you have everything when you get that disc.

If the game was 5 hours long I'd probably feel like it was cut content and it should be on the disc, but when it's a big open world, 20-30 hour game, one that looks like it's been made with some real care to make it good, it becomes leas of a problem.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a M.J stan so I'm really glad they're back together but, Yeah I still enjoy the chemistry between Felicia and Pete. And this scene was hilarious.

Oh, I'm also a MJ stan haha But Black Cat is my favorite ship along her so when they got separated, I always wondered why they never developed the two of them together but only for a short period of time. And then Slott destroyed her in Superior Spider-man..

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
showing DLC off before the game is out makes me want to just wait to get the GOTY edition with all DLC for the same price

Lucent

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with this. Like someone said earlier, people are mad either way.

DLC up for preorder before full details are divulged: Mad.

DLC sorta shown/shown so that you know what you're getting: Mad.

Can't win. I think you'd be able to tell while playing whether or not it was cut from the game or not.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Great design. I wonder if her face is based on a real person? She looks really familiar.

I hope these little DLC's are decently meaty and not like the seasons of infamy from Arkham Knight which were short and lame.

She reminds me of Minka Kelly. She played North in Detroit Become Human and is gonna play Dove in the upcoming Teen Titans TV Series.
NORTH3-650x325.jpg

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't think its cut content but content made exclusively alongside the main game just for dlc purposes which could have easily been put in the main game.

Insomniac started work on these DLCs with a separate team. Insomniac hired a Senior Writer in early August specifically to write the story for the second piece of DLC. These DLC episodes are done after the fact, planned many, many months in advance. Scheduled after the game has gone gold and it goes off for certification. They aren't cut content pieces, and they couldn't "easily include those in the game already", when they're not even done and won't be done until around 3 months after they started.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Then my word choice wasn't great. The point I'm making is that Black Cat and Silver Sable were bad picks, especially when the main game's villain roster is already as mediocre as it is.
Mediocre? Good god I've seen it all. They literally pull out an adaptation of the Sinister Six (in addition to others) instead of just one or two villains like they usually do and people still complain. This is just getting silly now.

How the heck is utilizing 5 of the most well known and most popular Spider-Man villains in addition to Mr. Negative, Kingpin, Shocker, Taskmaster, and more "mediocre" by any stretch of the imagination? You just sound like you're upset they don't have your one or two favorites.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I wonder if the dlc will be locked until after you beat the game. I seems to remember reading that events of the dlc happens a few month after the main story ends.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Mediocre? Good god I've seen it all. They literally pull out an adaptation of the Sinister Six (in addition to others) instead of just one or two villains like they usually do and people still complain. This is just getting silly now.

How the heck is utilizing 5 of the most well known and most popular Spider-Man villains in addition to Mr. Negative, Kingpin, Shocker, Taskmaster, and more "mediocre" by any stretch of the imagination? You just sound like you're upset they don't have your one or two favorites.

Kingpin and Mr. Negative are two really good choices. Major Spider-Man characters who don't get a ton of play in video games or other adaptation media. Mr. Negative offers a ton of potential for gameplay and story bits because of the dualistic nature of his personality and power set, and Kingpin is just so frequently associated with Daredevil that most games don't make any use of his relationship with and enmity for Peter. These add a lot to the game and allow Insomniac to do NEW things with Spider-Man.

Meanwhile, the Sinister Six we have in game are the same low-tier chumps we always get in video games. How can anyone be hyped to fight Rhino and Scorpion again? Shocker is a joke, but at least the game is aware of that. I just expected more, given the boldness with which they announced the game and its initial villains.

I expected them to try more deep cuts into Spidey's world and mythology, but instead we're just getting...the Sinister Six. And Black Cat and Silver Sable. It feels like the villain choices were dictated by the same suit at Sony Pictures who's trying to brute force the "Spider-MCU" films.