ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Kingpin and Mr. Negative are two really good choices. Major Spider-Man characters who don't get a ton of play in video games or other adaptation media. Mr. Negative offers a ton of potential for gameplay and story bits because of the dualistic nature of his personality and power set, and Kingpin is just so frequently associated with Daredevil that most games don't make any use of his relationship with and enmity for Peter. These add a lot to the game and allow Insomniac to do NEW things with Spider-Man.

Meanwhile, the Sinister Six we have in game are the same low-tier chumps we always get in video games. How can anyone be hyped to fight Rhino and Scorpion again? Shocker is a joke, but at least the game is aware of that. I just expected more, given the boldness with which they announced the game and its initial villains.

I expected them to try more deep cuts into Spidey's world and mythology, but instead we're just getting...the Sinister Six. And Black Cat and Silver Sable. It feels like the villain choices were dictated by the same suit at Sony Pictures who's trying to brute force the "Spider-MCU" films.
If Sony has Mr. Negative in one their movies are you gonna hate his inclusion in the game? These are classic characters. As much as it's enticing to want to feature more obscure characters you gotta start with the basics. This is Insomniac's take on them just as a new writer would want to write their own version of a classic character.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If Sony has Mr. Negative in one their movies are you gonna hate his inclusion in the game? These are classic characters. As much as it's enticing to want to feature more obscure characters you gotta start with the basics. This is Insomniac's take on them just as a new writer would want to write their own version of a classic character.

Of course not. It's just frustrating to see what seems to be the exact same mindset at work both in the Spider-Man film universe and the Spider-Man game "universe". I know Marvel is insanely specific about which characters they allow content creators to use in their adaptations, but this is nearly one to one parity with what Sony's trying to do in the film universe and it's just disappointing.

At least one more surprise choice would've been welcomed. Even just one. Or some more villains with actual interesting relationships with Peter/Spider-Man beyond "SPIDER-MAN BAD, MUST PUNCH".

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the stars of the three DLCs are the famous characters who are in the game/hinted at, but you don't fight >.<

Black Cat, Tombstone and Silver Sable? Black Cat isn't actually seen in the game, but apparently has a presence.

I'm super relieved they didn't seemingly go with Slott's abysmal Black Cat. Design is a little uninteresting (like most in the game imo), but serviceable.

EDIT: Dream scenario is weaving Felicia Hardy into a little story with Peter at the same time. Awkwardly poking at both of Spider-Man's identities / abusing the dramatic irony of having alter ego's interact always leads to the best Spidey moments.

Last edited:

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
This branding is kinda confusing. Is "The City That Never Sleeps" their entire DLC plans, or is it like the first expansion but with 3 separately released Acts/episodes?

I'd be kinda disappointed if Insomniac closed up shop and completely moved on in 2018. Feel like there's a lot of GAAS potential here, and it would be a shame if they neglected that.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Kingpin and Mr. Negative are two really good choices. Major Spider-Man characters who don't get a ton of play in video games or other adaptation media. Mr. Negative offers a ton of potential for gameplay and story bits because of the dualistic nature of his personality and power set, and Kingpin is just so frequently associated with Daredevil that most games don't make any use of his relationship with and enmity for Peter. These add a lot to the game and allow Insomniac to do NEW things with Spider-Man.

Meanwhile, the Sinister Six we have in game are the same low-tier chumps we always get in video games. How can anyone be hyped to fight Rhino and Scorpion again? Shocker is a joke, but at least the game is aware of that. I just expected more, given the boldness with which they announced the game and its initial villains.

I expected them to try more deep cuts into Spidey's world and mythology, but instead we're just getting...the Sinister Six. And Black Cat and Silver Sable. It feels like the villain choices were dictated by the same suit at Sony Pictures who's trying to brute force the "Spider-MCU" films.
What are all these so many other times we've received all of the Sinister Six working together like this if that's how it "always" happens? Because I've played close to a dozen Spider-Man games and I only recall a handful at most.

And this game is almost certainly going to be a series so it takes time to utilize the whole arsenal. You're also ignoring DLC pack two for whatever reason, and making assumptions about the third part, so hard to blame the game when you're the one making assumptions here. When this is just the first game in a new series and has over a dozen different villains, that is in no way mediocre.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
What are all these so many other times we've received all of the Sinister Six working together like this if that's how it "always" happens? Because I've played close to a dozen Spider-Man games and I only recall a handful at most.

And this game is almost certainly going to be a series so it takes time to utilize the whole arsenal. You're also ignoring DLC pack two for whatever reason, and making assumptions about the third part, so hard to blame the game when you're the one making assumptions here. When this is just the first game in a new series and has over a dozen different villains, that is in no way mediocre.

I suppose we're just looking for different things. I just expected more unique, innovative choices and less of the same mid-boss-level villains we always have to fight. If what Insomniac picked is good for you, I'm glad it works for you.

It just doesn't work for me, and maybe that's my fault. But I just hear "Sinister Six" and "Silver Sable" and I immediately start to lose interest. I'll be clear, it's entirely possible Insomniac will pull it off, but at least for me personally they're starting at a pretty distinct disadvantage based on the villain options they picked.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I'm kinda glad we're getting obvious stuff like the Sinister Six right off the bat. Leaves room for more inspired choices in the inevitable sequels.

Like, imagine a side mission set where you run into Ezekiel a few times over the course of the game and that all ends up being stealth preparation for an encounter with Morlun. There's some neat stuff they could do in the future.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose we're just looking for different things. I just expected more unique, innovative choices and less of the same mid-boss-level villains we always have to fight. If what Insomniac picked is good for you, I'm glad it works for you.

It just doesn't work for me, and maybe that's my fault. But I just hear "Sinister Six" and "Silver Sable" and I immediately start to lose interest. I'll be clear, it's entirely possible Insomniac will pull it off, but at least for me personally they're starting at a pretty distinct disadvantage based on the villain options they picked.
I still have yet to see this wide range of games where the Sinister Six constantly keeps appearing in.

Also there's something inherently wrong with assuming utilizing similar antagonists means you are completely barred of being innovative. If you play the game and dislike it, that's fair. But too much of your judgment is based on content we haven't even seen.

Wait, is Black Cat the villain in DLC 1?!?

As in, the only villain?
They gave us a single 30 second trailer, so we can't say for sure.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Heist related gameplay and stories are some of my fave, so this bodes well. Hopefully it is actually a heist of some kind that you either stop or partake in, and not just in name.

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
I'm kinda glad we're getting obvious stuff like the Sinister Six right off the bat. Leaves room for more inspired choices in the inevitable sequels.

Like, imagine a side mission set where you run into Ezekiel a few times over the course of the game and that all ends up being stealth preparation for an encounter with Morlun. There's some neat stuff they could do in the future.
Inspired choices like Venom? Green Goblin? Hobgoblin? There's plenty of obvious choices for Insomniac to pick over.

Wouldn't get your hopes up too high

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Inspired choices like Venom? Green Goblin? Hobgoblin? There's plenty of obvious choices for Insomniac to pick over.

Wouldn't get your hopes up too high
I mean, even just one villain different from the norm is fine with me. Mr. Negative being prominent in this shows Insomniac isn't opposed to the idea, too.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
The digital deluxe edition retails for USD 55 if you buy the game in the singapore psn store fyi.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I still have yet to see this wide range of games where the Sinister Six constantly keeps appearing in.

Also there's something inherently wrong with assuming utilizing similar antagonists means you are completely barred of being innovative. If you play the game and dislike it, that's fair. But too much of your judgment is based on content we haven't even seen.

We'll see what happens on Friday. If they somehow manage to come up with a Rhino or Scorpion boss fight that isn't as painfully dull as every "big dumb strong guy" fight in every open world superhero game, I'll absolutely give Insom the props they deserve.

Oct 25, 2017

Pulling for Cardiac and The Wall.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
These gaming companies lack total awareness when they start selling you DLC before the games released. That or they're fully aware people will cape for them all the same because "muh Spider-Man". Regardless, insulting to me as a consumer.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We'll see what happens on Friday. If they somehow manage to come up with a Rhino or Scorpion boss fight that isn't as painfully dull as every "big dumb strong guy" fight in every open world superhero game, I'll absolutely give Insom the props they deserve.
Where is this list lol. You've been asked like 6 times in this thread but haven't shown even one.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I would love to see Spidey fight the Hood and just make fun of him the entire time for being an overly edgy jackass even while he's using magic to fuck up the city around both of them.

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
I mean, even just one villain different from the norm is fine with me. Mr. Negative being prominent in this shows Insomniac isn't opposed to the idea, too.
Tbh I want Insomniac to pull a Rocksteady and have three games featuring the Sinister Six, plus a prequel installment that is pitched to star Morbius, but really once you play it is just about the first night Spidey encountered the Sinister Six.

Aug 2, 2018

One of those "chumps" supposedly has one of the best boss fights in the game according to those who have played. I'd just relax with presumptive statements about the game villains until you play

Kaizer

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not. It's just frustrating to see what seems to be the exact same mindset at work both in the Spider-Man film universe and the Spider-Man game "universe". I know Marvel is insanely specific about which characters they allow content creators to use in their adaptations, but this is nearly one to one parity with what Sony's trying to do in the film universe and it's just disappointing.

At least one more surprise choice would've been welcomed. Even just one. Or some more villains with actual interesting relationships with Peter/Spider-Man beyond "SPIDER-MAN BAD, MUST PUNCH".

You know, I can kinda see where you're coming from. Personally the villain list/Sinister Six is fine for me but I'd hope that when this game gets its inevitable sequel in another three or four years, that they really start to dig deeper into Spider-Man's rouges gallery. I'm not even super well-versed in the Spider-Man comics but it'd be interesting to see them pull inspiration from the differing interpretations of Spider-Man, such as Ultimate Spider-Man's take on the Green Goblin being an actual genetic monster that hurls fireballs.

I'd really love to see characters like Spider-Gwen or Silk in a future game as potential ally/playable character alongside Peter & Miles.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Love Felicia's suit! She looks great. It's just a really small tease, but I'm already getting pretty excited for this. Hopefully, it'll have a decently-sized story. Shame it's at the end of October... Would've been perfect at the start, right around when I'd probably finish the base game. Unless Photo Mode says otherwise.
I'd really love to see characters like Spider-Gwen or Silk in a future game as potential ally/playable character alongside Peter & Miles.
Silk would be so damn awesome given her webs and agility. Spider-Gwen, I'd only want for the suit. Unless we're talking about a whole game or DLC, then I'd love if we got to see her Earth.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Not like this...

DLC trailer before the game is out is wrong, showing it before the reviews are out is even worse, and the first DLC is launched just a month later. That's like the perfect way to get people pissed, throw in some purchasable loot crate costumes as well and they would've got a GOTY award for hitting all the wrong notes.

This honestly sours me on the whole game, this content was planned a long time ago and could've easily been in the base game, with better planning and/or less greed.

This is a vote with your wallet scenario for me and I'm closing my wallet for now. I'm waiting on a complete edition on sale later instead.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Not like this...

DLC trailer before the game is out is wrong, showing it before the reviews are out is even worse, and the first DLC is launched just a month later. That's like the perfect way to get people pissed, throw in some purchasable loot crate costumes as well and they would've got a GOTY award for hitting all the wrong notes.

This honestly sours me on the whole game, this content was planned a long time ago and could've easily been in the base game, with better planning and/or less greed.

This is a vote with your wallet scenario for me and I'm closing my wallet for now. I'm waiting on a complete edition on sale later instead.
Easily? How in the world can you make claims like that?

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking forward to this game, but I have to agree with the comments about DLC trailers before the game is even released. It's a bad look.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
They've worked on the game for years and happened to "miss" the launch with just over a month. Feels like it was planned in detail by someone in a suit holding a calculator.
"Happened to miss" nothing, that's not how game dev works. Game went gold at the end of July; that's two months to polish the game for release and four months for another team to work on post-launch content while the main team does bugfixing and preparing for launch

You're spinning something that is normal and smart - allocating budget and scheduling for post-release content development so two teams can work in conjunction - as something uncommon and only done to be greedy

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm looking forward to this game, but I have to agree with the comments about DLC trailers before the game is even released. It's a bad look.

It pushed me to get the season pass deluxe edition. Far better than having to wait to and see for months and then get the more expensive season pass. Doing this early hurts literally no one.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
They've worked on the game for years and happened to "miss" the launch with just over a month. Feels like it was planned in detail by someone in a suit holding a calculator.
Game take longer to develop then they used to. Planning ahead and starting to work on content that will be released post launch is absolutely crucial. NOTE: That doesn't mean that the content would've been in the main game or was removed from the main game. Spiderman is a GaaS, and like any GaaS, it's nice to know what's coming after the initial launch.

Khalid030

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I would'nt be surprised if it's the jump over it's head and attack tactic for rhino whenever he hits a wall or something, lol

Oct 27, 2017
There won't be any complete edition (at least on disc) for those supposedly waiting. The base game is like 45GB already on day 1. You add 3 expansions on top of that and it's not going to fit on disc, a la the Horizon Complete Edition release. I'm sure you'll get a decent price reduction though along with a voucher code at some later point however.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Can I please have some evidence on how this is clearly cut content?

Cause a lot of people here seem to either say or imply this and use that as justification for why they won't support this.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Not like this...

Jeez, talk about an overreaction.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland

Cause a lot of people here seem to either say or imply this and use that as justification for why they won't support this.

I always like to go back to Mass Effect 3 as my text book example of DLC being blatant carved out content from the game. Javik, the prothean, who's entire side missions and input offered backstory to massive lore that kept getting referred to in the trilogy and better explained the true origins of the main antagonists. Bioware decided to wall him off as a pre-order bonus, and Day 1 DLC for those who did not pre-order.

From everything that's been shown, Black Cat doesn't look like she's involved in the plot at all, with this DLC being (a series of) sidemissions instead. Like I dunno, you can make the case that they designed it while the game was still in production but even then, I don't take offense to something specifically designed to be DLC.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017

I mean it isn't cut content. Even the guy from Insomniac said it wasn't cut content. It isn't cut content.

It feels like we go around in circles with discussions of popular games on this board and honestly, I'm getting a little tired of it. It's ridiculously immature.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
People have been complaining since day 1.
exclusivity, QTE's, villains, swinging not being EXACTLY like SM2, downgrades, puddles, dlc, etc.

Nothing will beat the QTE complaints.

That ruined the Spidey threads of the past tbh. What's worse is that people acted like those QTE sequences were representative of the entire game the way they whined about it.

The swinging thing was expected, that's more of a preference thing. But it's still kind of annoying in a way, especially when Spider-Man 2 is constantly brought up.

This DLC thing is a joke. However, if they are teasing Felicia throughout the game. I can understand some of the resentment.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Not like this...

At the end of the day they still win if you're going to buy a complete edition.

If you're gonna go in hard with this vote with your wallet crap, don't buy it all.

When it's all said and done, if the product is good, they earned the money.

Spacecowboy

Oct 27, 2017
Trailer is fine, but why release it before the game is out?

I really don't understand the marketing thought process behind this, I feel like they have more to gain by cashing on the post release thirst for new content

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Trailer is fine, but why release it before the game is out?

I really don't understand the marketing thought process behind this, I feel like they have more to gain by cashing on the post release thirst for new content
To remind physical buyers DLC coming soon and reduce the size of second hand market.