StrayDog

Avenger
Jul 14, 2018

ilustrador-marvel-2.jpg

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I figured the Star of David was just someone being familiar with the concept of Jewish jewelers, but dumb enough to think they just put up religious symbols all over.

Then I saw the dropped L.... yeah I'm thinking that might not have been accidental.

edit: I don't know if the Jewish jeweler is a negative stereotype, or even based in reality. I'm just familiar from movies...mainly Snatch.
It's definitely based in reality - depending on what city you live in. But it's also one of those stereotypes that's kind of annoying because the reason some Jewish communities got into the jewelry business was specifically because in a lot of places they weren't allowed to own land. So it was a good business to be in in order to have wealth you could actually pass on. It also helps that jewels are small and easy to carry away in case you once again are forced to move. So it's based in truth, but it came about because of antisemitism.
Though if you're in Manhattan, yes, the ultra orthodox are likely selling diamonds in the 40's, but go at least 10 blocks south and it's much more likely they're selling camera equipment....I don't know the origin story behind that.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely based in reality - depending on what city you live in. But it's also one of those stereotypes that's kind of annoying because the reason some Jewish communities got into the jewelry business was specifically because in a lot of places they weren't allowed to own land. So it was a good business to be in in order to have wealth you could actually pass on. It also helps that jewels are small and easy to carry away in case you once again are forced to move. So it's based in truth, but it came about because of antisemitism.
Though if you're in Manhattan, yes, the ultra orthodox are likely selling diamonds in the 40's, but go at least 10 blocks south and it's much more likely they're selling camera equipment....I don't know the origin story behind that.

B&H Photo, most likely. Probably the biggest photo and video equipment outlet in a city with lots of demand for it, and it's completely Jewish owned.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
This man does not deserve any benefit of the doubt.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
B&H Photo, most likely. Probably the biggest photo and video equipment outlet in a city with lots of demand for it, and it's completely Jewish owned.

A very known destination for tourists buying Photo/video/electronics in the city (specially for Latin America ones). Great service, Spanish and Portuguese speaking clerks and a very friendly environment. It is owned and operated by Orthodox Jews so I get that anyone visiting them make that connection.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Gina Carano still hasn't been let go from Star Wars, and now Marvel pulls this shit? Interesting. Very interesting.

I'm sure Disney is very ashamed to be associated with this kind of behavior...right?

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Gina Carano still hasn't been let go from Star Wars, and now Marvel pulls this shit? Interesting. Very interesting.

I'm sure Disney is very ashamed to be associated with this kind of behavior...right?
Marvel already pulled the digital copy of the issue.

I want to say that this is more on the artist than Marvel, but this guy pulled some shit not that long ago and should've been dumped then. Marvel has immediately dumped other writers and artists for similar, so why this guy wasn't sacked is confusing.

Though their current editor in chief pretended to be Japanese, so who the fuck knows.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

Marvel already pulled the digital copy of the issue.

I want to say that this is more on the artist than Marvel, but this guy pulled some shit not that long ago and should've been dumped then. Marvel has immediately dumped other writers and artists for similar, so why this guy wasn't sacked is confusing.

Though their current editor in chief pretended to be Japanese, so who the fuck knows.
Also isn't the current expectation with Carano that Disney will just not hire her again?

May 24, 2019
Marvel has immediately dumped other writers and artists for similar, so why this guy wasn't sacked is confusing.

I'm sure they don't want to mess with the highest acclaimed long running series they have with a consistent creative team and only a handful of issues before it wraps.

They'll stop hiring him when he turns in issue #50!

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
This vaguely reminds me of the iffy anti-Semitic vibe in Uncut Gems....the context there was that they were Jewish filmmakers though.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Don't you forget Adorama. I didn't mean the comment as in I was confused what store it was, but why they settled on camera equipment. Everybody should experience the B&H buying process just to see their products zooming above them around the store.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
This would be the equivalent of drawing a fried chicken restaurant called "Fried Blacks" or something of the sort.

Im still a little suspect about him trying to write the letters backwards. I mean...like wouldn't you make the window design first and then flip in photoshop or whatever program they're using?

No?

Editing software is mostly used for coloring and shading purposes, and a few minor fixes. Most of the art is still hand-drawn.

KimiNewt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just to be clear how charged a term it is, the "International Jewery" (ick, I feel gross even using the phrase), is what literal Nazis call the supposed shadowy overlords/boogeymen of Jewish people who secretly control the world. It's a disgusting phrase. I became aware of the term when watching Miles Power's holocaust denialism debunking series:

While the comic itself is problematic, the word Jewery is used in neutral context as well. E.g. Levantine Jewery. Just another word to describe a group from a certain place

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
would be great if he & beluski both got shitcanned so more talent could take their posts, but alas
also OP is spot on about editorial being particularly shithouse here after the awful x-men stunt like this a little while back

I read the issue yesterday and didn't notice it while reading. But once you see it, it's 100% intentional.

100% agreed

Oct 12, 2020
Anti-semitism is also the reason, why many Jewish people went into banking around the time of the middle ages. Common people thought it was a bad and boring buissnes and, like you said, didn't want Jewish commoners to lease land. It is ironic, that it turned out to be lucrative in the future and made many Jewish families extremely rich and influencel. It would be almost funny, if the Jewish community wouldn't be a target of conspiracy theories because of it ...

Zero-ELEC

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
not even the first marvel artist to do this shit, remember that one dude in X-Men Gold?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It is a shame Immortal Hulk, which had one of the most radically progressive themes I've ever seen in comics, is now tainted by this crap forever.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017

Disney is fucking weird. They were quick to remove Gunn from GotG3 after some old ass tweets surfaced, but Carano is being shitty now and they're silent.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Camera equipment is awesome?

Oct 27, 2017
Anti-semitism is also the reason, why many Jewish people went into banking around the time of the middle ages. Common people thought it was a bad and boring buissnes and, like you said, didn't want Jewish commoners to lease land. It is ironic, that it turned out to be lucrative in the future and made many Jewish families extremely rich and influencel. It would be almost funny, if the Jewish community wouldn't be a target of conspiracy theories because of it ...

Wasnt it because usury was a sin and prohibitied in Catholism and Islam at the time, but not Judism?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt it because usury was a sin and prohibitied in Catholism and Islam at the time, but not Judism?
That's what I was taught. I believe it was also a sin in Judaism but only amongst other Jews.
....I did terribly in my Jewish studies. I am excited to relive my Jewish history classes when Match of the Millennium comes out.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Usury was sin when applied to other Jewish people, but not to Christians/Muslims. But anti-semitism limited vastly how Jews could live in middle ages. They couln't be nobility, in many places they couldn't buy land, many of the jobs were prohibited.

Oct 12, 2020
I read it up and we are both right. I was seen as a sin, but still a necessary job, so only people with low social status (or people the society wants to keep down ...) applied for those jobs. Otherwise you were thrown out of a city or village, which was almost like a death sentence.
Other examples are nightwatches of cities, because going out at night was a sin, and also bakers, who need to work in the early morning before sunset. Freaking necessary jobs, but total sinners ...

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
So two things about this.

1. Blatant, unnecessary, and does nothing but reinforce stereotypes.
2. I would imagine the vast majority of people on this form have never been to the diamond district. Take a walk down 47th and it's like 10x in reality what you're raging about in this comic. I've been to many of the shops there and it's literally dudes with their shirts open to their chests with yamakas telling you to come inside and see their watches / jewelry / money exchange / coins / gold. Was there most recently to buy some krugerrands as gifts.

That is not an exaggeration at all.

OP
OP
Palette Swap

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
. I would imagine the vast majority of people on this form have never been to the diamond district. Take a walk down 47th and it's like 10x in reality what you're raging about in this comic. I've been to many of the shops there and it's literally dudes with their shirts open to their chests with yamakas telling you to come inside and see their watches / jewelry / money exchange / coins / gold. Was there most recently to buy some krugerrands as gifts
Do they have JEWERY spelled on the window, next to a Star of David?

GMT Master

Oct 3, 2019
Do they have JEWERY spelled on the window, next to a Star of David?

Of course not.

All I'm saying is that you if go to google maps right now and wander around the area, I can say with 100% surety that you will find jewish dudes hanging around outside their stores. They are always there chilling on the sidewalk.

There's a problem with the stereotype, sure. The fact that it says "jewery" however is not excusable. I find it hard to believe that wasn't done on purpose.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Of course not.

All I'm saying is that you if go to google maps right now and wander around the area, I can say with 100% surety that you will find jewish dudes hanging around outside their stores. They are always there chilling on the sidewalk.

There's a problem with the stereotype, sure. The fact that it says "jewery" however is not excusable. I find it hard to believe that wasn't done on purpose.

I worked on 47th and 5th for years (above Sbarros if you know the area). It's true that almost the entire Diamond District is run by Orthodox Jews. Around Friday 3pm, you will see them waiting for the buses to take them upstate before sundown. It's a known thing to most NYers and probably more so now after Uncut Gems. That said, there was no reason to include the Jewish star or the Jewery. I don't think it was an accident and he figured he could wave it away as accurately portraying the street. Regardless, it is offensive and no doubt intended as a dog whistle.

OP
OP
Palette Swap

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bumping this as a follow up, because now that their collaboration is over, Al Ewing has spoken out about Bennet in general :

I know it's trite to say this but Ewing has always sounded like good people.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm bumping this as a follow up, because now that their collaboration is over, Al Ewing has spoken out about Bennet in general :

I know it's trite to say this but Ewing has always sounded like good people.

He kept working with Joe Bennett until the final Immortal Hulk due for release in October? And only once he was finished working with him does he say "I won't work with him anymore!" and speaks publicly?

I feel like actions are more important than words, no matter how well the apology is written.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Time for Joe Bennett to join Comicsgate and claim he was the REAL victim in all this.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
Like I get why Ewing didn't walk away from a career-defining masterpiece but it's a bit late to back the truck up now. Empty words and he seems to acknowledge that by immediately bouncing. Seems like he is saying this mostly for his own sake

Wouldn't be surprised if he says he regrets not demanding an artist change in a couple of years when the stink still won't wash off, and that won't matter either

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
He kept working with Joe Bennett until the final Immortal Hulk due for release in October? And only once he was finished working with him does he say "I won't work with him anymore!" and speaks publicly?

I feel like actions are more important than words, no matter how well the apology is written.
I'm not totally up on the details of comic book contracts, but I'm assuming here that he was under contract to complete the series before he was aware of Bennet's history and didn't really have a choice (plus I don't think the writers always have choice of who their artist is). That's a lot of assumptions on my part though, and If any of that is not true then yeah. That doesn't reflect very well on him.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

1. He made a donation to two charities.

2. He can't shittalk his co-collaborator while he is one half of a popular run at a company that doesn't care that they're employing an asshole and will give that asshole more work in the future. Marvel knew, and Marvel's HR had the responsibility.

Like yeah I dropped Immortal Hulk when the "Cronenberg's Jewery" shit fell through, I should have dropped it earlier too. I thought "oh hey it's fine, he has to keep his mouth shut" and then the motherfucker snuck it into the art itself.

But I am not literally being paid to write Immortal Hulk. I don't work for a company that'll take you to task more for bringing an issue to light than the asshole causing it.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
The worse thing about the panel in my opinion is the name, otherwise it being a Jewish jewelry store doesn't seem offensive to me (as a person of Jewish decent and someone who's family has been in the Jewelry industry for over 20 years).

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I get why Ewing didn't walk away from a career-defining masterpiece but it's a bit late to back the truck up now. Empty words and he seems to acknowledge that by immediately bouncing. Seems like he is saying this mostly for his own sake

Wouldn't be surprised if he says he regrets not demanding an artist change in a couple of years when the stink still won't wash off, and that won't matter either
So he's gotta sabotage his career in an industry driven by clout and connections by publicly drawing attention to the fact that a complete motherfucker is the artist on the book that Marvel wants to promote and sell because... what, now he's honest? No one here has ever been in a position where they were expected to keep their mouths shut and work with a piece of shit? When that piece of shit's actions got dealt with, god forbid they did, did you tell yourself you were just as culpable for being quiet?

Why the hell do we assign the same moral responsibility as the asshole causing the problem to someone who's adjacent to them?

Would we have all been better off had he not said anything? Can he not speak his frustrations now that his contract work is done?