Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
But now she's a Peter Quill knockoff. Like they somehow find ways to make Car-El even worse than she already is.

But Peter Quill's genetics aren't really important to him beyond the fact that his father is really important. He doesn't get powers that define who he is from his birthright. Not superpowers, at least. For most of his history in the comics Peter's Spartax origin doesn't matter.

I mean, when you have so many characters you're going to bump into a few human-alien hybrids. There's still differences between the two.

I dunno, we'll see. I don't outright hate it, and I think anything new is better than the nonsensical mess some of her older stories are, including the origin.

MotionBlue

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine. Making her genetically half-Kree from the start is simpler than the stupid fuckin' psyche-magnetron nonsense that never stood the test of time.
Disagree entirely. Kree are overused. Psyche magnetron is not only strange, but leaves mystery that can be explored. How does being kree explain her binary/stellar vosmic powers? To dsy nothing of how similar it is to starlord, superman, and a dozen other hero origins.

Danvers had lots of cool things about her that Marvel just refuses to capitalize on. This is the 4th reboot of her in a decade.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I think the comics division is just acting preemptively to whatever happens in the film by Marvel Studios, without actually knowing the details ( Or well, anything :p )

Oh good. I was rather looking forward to the movie explaining that the Kree have avoided Earth for the last twenty years because they're scared shitless of Carol.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Disagree entirely. Kree are overused. Psyche magnetron is not only strange, but leaves mystery that can be explored. How does being kree explain her binary/stellar vosmic powers? To dsy nothing of how similar it is to starlord, superman, and a dozen other hero origins.

Danvers had lots of cool things about her that Marvel just refuses to capitalize on. This is the 4th reboot of her in a decade.

They should have scrapped a lot more when they rebooted her as Captain Marvel and they could have done something much better with her then. But the last few years since then has been this weird back and forth and just treading water with her, basically waiting for the MCU to reboot the character wholesale so they have an easy, simplified origin to adapt to the comics. I guess they're going for a bit of a middle ground here, and the Psyche-Magnetron could still play a role in explaining those things. But I think this is a step in the right direction with regards to cutting baggage from her history that doesn't really stand the test of time or hasn't been developed.

There's not going to be any Psyche-Magnetron in the movies I'm sure, so there's still more they can do with it and hopefully develop it further.

Amathene

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
script>
tumblr_oos3q8SWqU1qfu1wuo4_250.gif

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Carol's new arch nemeis will be a living super computer in an android body that destroyed the planet Hala.

This mysterious foe will be known only as...."Craniumac".

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a comic nerd, I don't mind them destroying EVERYTHING about Carol and making her from scratch for the movie.

Just don't make her even less interesting lmao

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
There are so many better marvel woman, Carol is awful.

Throw her into a dumpster and push Songbird.

She is literally the easiest character to push, she looks cool, has a cool powers, has a defined personality, and a simple backstory.

Songbird's backstory as a former villain becoming a Thundebolt masquerading as a hero with technology she got from another villain except she's really a hero now or something is not really that simple.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
So you're telling me the MCU will have two good versions of Superman on film while the DCEU can't manage one? Sounds about right.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
"We're going to give Carol a new origin! Not beholden to the original male Captain Marvel!

...turn her name into a Superman reference."

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I always find it weird when origin stories like this are changed in the comics but I don't know shit about her so it's whatever to me.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I always find it weird when origin stories like this are changed in the comics but I don't know shit about her so it's whatever to me.

It was always kinda vague when it came to specifics of how exactly she got her powers, so this is just a way for them to say "well it was actually this way all along" without completely upending her origin story. The same essential events took place it's just that she was always part-Kree instead of becoming some new hybrid after the incident.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay but the Car-Ell thing now just links her to Superman, one of the most popular male superheroes on the planet. Why would you spend all that time freeing her of male influence and then making her Superman?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe this is just me, but I think making her special by birthright is a worse look than making her special by something that just happens to involve a man? Especially if the point is to make her a female role model--media for girls is already saturated with princesses (also special by birthright). Little girls can't choose to be princesses any more than they can choose to have alien parents.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
her origin story is kinda boring anyway so can't say I care much. the birth name stuff is funny though.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
But normal kree don't fly or have energy blasts.

Carol is trully the Roman Reigns/Fetch of comics

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
First DC pulls a "Ric Grayson", now Marvel pulls this shit?
WTF is going on?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Okay but the Car-Ell thing now just links her to Superman, one of the most popular male superheroes on the planet. Why would you spend all that time freeing her of male influence and then making her Superman?
I don't really care about Carol's origin either way, but she's not Superman. They're origins are completely different and saying they are is kinda reducing Superman to his Kryptonian name when his story is much more than that.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I am probably the only one that will make this connection, but it is pretty close to
latest

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely don't mind them changing it around, but they're trading one cliche origin for another.

Deleted member 279

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im a huuuuuge Mar-Vell fan but im okay with this

She was never a big favorite of mine so if this retcon makes some little girls happy, im for it

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if a character has been around for 40 years and you constantly changing every detail about them on the fly, maybe they just not a good character?

rs_560x415-150817131955-1024-kermit-lipton.jpg

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just another example of how Marvel comics aren't worth investing in when entire histories and character development can be changed at the drop of the hat because of tends, editorial mandates and whatever beef the boss had at the time.

Remember, Peter had to be single. Families don't appeal to comic readers.

At least until someone decides they do again.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care about Carol's origin either way, but she's not Superman. They're origins are completely different and saying they are is kinda reducing Superman to his Kryptonian name when his story is much more than that.
They made her an alien from the House of Ell who spends most of their life as a human with suppressed powers until it was time for those powers to manifest and they learned to hone them.

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I mean how can you be a symbol of female emprowerment when you steal the name from another woman?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the end, the MCU will probably do fine with Carol's character. If you can (mostly) fix Hank Pym you can fix anyone.

Granted the first thing most people have seen of her is her sucker punching an old lady, which might look bad with no context.