Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
making Carol a Kree-human hybrid from birth as opposed to the result of an accident related to a male hero
Sounds like it's still a male's accident for me... dude's pullout game was weak.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
making Carol a Kree-human hybrid from birth as opposed to the result of an accident related to a male hero
Sounds like it's still a male's accident for me... dude's pullout game was weak.
Well that would follow her Predessor
5949794-hling.jpg

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Have a hard time believing this will actually be her origin in the film. Why spoil that in a comic months before release? If anything her origin will probably be ret conned once again after the movie releases.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I like retcons. Comic book characters from Superman on down have had them. But do you know what I like best? A recon on a character that has a loud angry internet presence. It's like sweet nector.

Not sure this origin change is going to be the same as the movie. Marvel Studios may use the comics as a guide, but there is no way they let the comic get this info 5 months before the movie comes out.
Me too. Sometimes after decades, a character needs a refresh.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Let's not pretend that origins themselves are ever interesting.

Whether it's "fell into a cave full of bats" or "got bitten by a spider" or "is an actual alien" they're all unremarkable.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
So she's got Kree genetics, which laid dormant until she was exposed to an alien artifact, which activated her superpowers, which go beyond (and are completely unrelated to) what a normal Kree can do?

...so she's Inhuman?

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Don't think they could do anything to make some people like her or even give her a chance. Not a huge deal imo, she doesn't need the most unique or crazy origin.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just read the issue, it wasn't particularly bad tbh (I like the book itself though).

I mean, if all the dumb shit Carol has been through, this ranks really low, and it doesn't really undo KSD's run or anything.

The only egregious part that really strains my suspension of disbelief is that her mom is supposed to be a badass Kree warrior but she never revealed her secret through all the crises Earth has known, but now that there's a Kree redshirt gunning for them, she has to come out.

I'll choose to believe Valeria rewrote that bit one day for fun when no one was looking.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Just read the issue, it wasn't particularly bad tbh (I like the book itself though).

I mean, if all the dumb shit Carol has been through, this ranks really low, and it doesn't really undo KSD's run or anything.

The only egregious part that really strains my suspension of disbelief is that her mom is supposed to be a badass Kree warrior but she never revealed her secret through all the crises Earth has known, but now that there's a Kree redshirt gunning for them, she has to come out.

I'll choose to believe Valeria rewrote that bit one day for fun when no one was looking.
Kind makes her mom look like a piece of shit.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder how she's going to be in the MCU, cuz if shes anything like the comic that's going to be a pretty dull movie. I trust MCU though. they basically relaunched tony stark and made him what he is today.

idk why they chose to redo the origin story now when no ones really looking at that book however

Oct 25, 2017
Carol Danvers and Kara Danvers and Car-Ell and Kal-El?
I've heard people refer to her as Marvel's Superman before, this is a little on the nose.
I'm not super familiar with the character but I'm amused by all the people saying this is the least of the character's worries.

Tell me more about how messed up her comics history is.
Straight and to the point.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I still believe that this will be Marvel's first box office dud. Everything about this character and the film seems disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
While I'm sure her origin in the film will take its own liberties with the source material, I doubt that this specifically is going to be it; there's no indication that Carol's mom is a major character in it, and this wouldn't be the first time Marvel Comics has made a major retcon to a character's origin leading up to their MCU debut that didn't bear much resemblance to their film origin.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Sure, let the films inspire the comics.

Is it that outlandish an opinion to hold that the MCU is like... considerably better than the source material?

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, let the films inspire the comics.

Is it that outlandish an opinion to hold that the MCU is like... considerably better than the source material?

Which source material are you talking about? Specific runs? Books? Takes on characters?

I love the films but there are runs in the comics that are head over heels better than anything that has been put to screen.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
This constant retconning in super hero comics, influenced or not by super hero movies, is why I'm glad I never got super invested in them.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Which source material are you talking about? Specific runs? Books? Takes on characters?

I love the films but there are runs in the comics that are head over heels better than anything that has been put to screen.
More as a cohesive narrative, than individual issues. The MCU feels planned where it's very obvious that some of the comic "twists" have Ben total ass pulls (paradoxically sometimes to better market movies...)

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
More as a cohesive narrative, than individual issues. The MCU feels planned where it's very obvious that some of the comic "twists" have Ben total ass pulls (paradoxically sometimes to better market movies...)

The scope is so different that the MCU is more cohesive by default. Focusing on a smaller cast of characters and actually having a plan that from the outside doesn't seem to have changed much does them wonders.

Will be interesting to see how things change with the X-men eventually entering the fray.

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Imagine if Marvel had just worked on building up the good female characters they have, instead of trying to spruce up the one garbage tier character they had that just happened to be blond, white and had a cosmic power set.

They had to change everything about Ms Marvel/Warbird/Captain Marvel to make her stick and the jury is STILL out on whether it would have worked over just promoting someone else with less baggage.

bear force one

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orlando
This whole character was a mistake. The o oh time she was remotely cool was what her memories were stolen and she was Binary.

Stop holding Alpha Flight hostage in your shitty book.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Says the one who started this chain of events demanding someone 'get over it'

I nominate this for "Ironic Post of the Year".

Nah, I don't that's the same thing as being obsessed over a story decision that happened literally a decade ago. At this point, it's ridiculous to still be upset about it, especially given that ASM was largely great since then.

Either way, Fantastic, your reply to me didn't make sense.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I don't that's the same thing as being obsessed over a story decision that happened literally a decade ago. At this point, it's ridiculous to still be upset about it, especially given that ASM was largely great since then.

"I'm going to pretend they aren't comparing my demanding that other people think the way I do to my accusing someone of being offended other people don't think the way they do and instead deflect'

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean I thought it was a pretty dumb decision to do it the way they did but having people still complain about it and stop themselves from reading Spider-man altogether is just asinine. The only way to make them happy is if they have a time machine and prevent OMD from ever happening. I mean I get their anger and frustration but that isn't going to stop me from reading forever.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I thought it was a pretty dumb decision to do it the way they did but having people still complain about it and stop themselves from reading Spider-man altogether is just asinine. The only way to make them happy is if they have a time machine and prevent OMD from ever happening. I mean I get their anger and frustration but that isn't going to stop me from reading forever.
You mean a thing that literally no one in this topic has said they've done?