HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Will this be OT?

I have mine preloaded. Ready for tomorrow.

I watched the abilities video on YouTube and am pleasantly surprised by how good the animated portraits look.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
All waves of codes have gone out now. Obviously didn't get anything cause that never seems to work out.
They're doing some stuff in their Discord for more chances at keys but that starts at 6AM my time which is great.

OP
OP
Hasney

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All waves of codes have gone out now. Obviously didn't get anything cause that never seems to work out.
They're doing some stuff in their Discord for more chances at keys but that starts at 6AM my time which is great.

They said this closed alpha is focused on the NA region. They only sent codes to NA folk, which is why the discord thing is at those times.

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Been watching the stream, they've been showing off characters in the practice range. You can see some inspiration taken from Overwatch, but there's a lot of stuff that wouldn't work in Overwatch as well, so I'm glad they're getting creative

In some ways, it seems like the skill ceiling might end up being higher than Overwatch, simply because of the movement third-person allows, but we'll have to see! Sure wish the alpha was easier to get into 😅

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Damn, somehow I missed that the Alpha was PC only 😖

Not that I got a code or anything. 🙄

I was always more of a Paladins guy than Overwatch. Couldn't get over the slow walk back to action and I liked having more playstyle customization. Oh, and friggin' gyro aiming. Did they ever add that to the non-Switch versions of OW2?

Moreover, how does this compare to Paladins?

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
They just did a hybrid (point capture + payload) match with easy bots, but it did feel like a match with not a lot happening, unfortunately. Will have to see games with all humans to see how things might normally play out

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
Noticed on their stream they said there is also a permanent alpha reward you can unlock that is a Galacta spray for being matched up against the devs. Probably going to be "impossible" to get along with the title for being top 32 in the tournament.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Idk what was the prerequisites were. Just watching that specific stream in their discord?
No, I dont think being there led to a chance of getting a key. They announced a caravan(?) of another 2 series of 750 keys I think. Details to follow shortly, so no extra bonus for anyone that was there, I believe.

Edit: Apparently if you wrote in chat during the stream you have a shot too, I dont know, I barely wrote anything there so eh..

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
No, I dont think being there led to a chance of getting a key. They announced a caravan(?) of another 2 series of 750 keys I think. Details to follow shortly, so no extra bonus for anyone that was there, I believe.
Were they not giving 1500 keys for the folks who watched the birthday stream on their discord?

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
I got it installed on both my PC and Steam Deck, so I guess I'm ready.
Unfortunately, doesn't look good for Steam Deck since it won't go past the launcher.

Well, apparently there's an exclusive closed alpha skin to obtain, so I guess I'll aim on getting that.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
So curious to hear impressions of this. It's clearly being pretty shameless with how it's taking from other games, but sometimes that comes together and makes waves. People will often forgive shameless if overall you end up doing it better than what you took from. It's hard to get a sense from the previews on if it hits that mark or it's just going to feel like a janky Marvel version of other games i'd rather be playing.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Been seeing the clips going over each characters' abilities and more and more it feels like they're really cooking something here. Quite a bit more MOBA-y elements than I expected at first, art style is translated extremely well, and the room for synergy stuff especially with the Team-Up stuff feels like it'll add just enough without being too impactful. Curious if the game plans to add to those over time (feels like something that can be added/removed rather easily) and overall curious what this game actually looks like in motion, with actual PvP gameplay.

The biggest thing for me though is watching Iron Man fly. One of the biggest things Squeenix Avengers got right to me is Iron Man flying, really nailing the free movement first promised by the likes of Anthem. This game looks like it's also got that - if anything the more stylish art style and effects help sell it even more. If anything it's bumming me out that so few of the characters here are clearly set up for that (even those that honestly should like Dr. Strange) though I imagine that's more to do with game balance than anything.

So curious to hear impressions of this. It's clearly being pretty shameless with how it's taking from other games, but sometimes that comes together and makes waves. People will often forgive shameless if overall you end up doing it better than what you took from. It's hard to get a sense from the previews on if it hits that mark or it's just going to feel like a janky Marvel version of other games i'd rather be playing.

Yeah we saw it earlier this year with Palworld. "Pokemon with guns" is easy to sell when 1) Pokemon is never gonna make that game themselves anyway and 2) the game you made is actually fun to play. By and large people don't give a shit about knockoffs as long as its a good knockoff.

With hero shooters it's not like there's a lot of Overwatch clones on the market (is Paladins even still a thing? 😂 ) and Overwatch itself isn't as hot as it once was which means there's quite a lot of room to jump in and and really swipe some of Blizzard's lunch. Combine that with a strong IP like the Marvel Universe and it just sounds like a very good recipe to me.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
This is what I could gather on permanent Alpha unlocks

-moonlit witch skin and alpha tester banner for leveling up the event pass

YtXEzgS.jpeg

-Galacta spray for playing against the devs
(No pic yet)

- dawn of legends title for placing top 32 factions in tournament

zvul3LK.jpeg

OP
OP
Hasney

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Having skins behind a closed alpha, that they say is focused on region only, is fucked

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Yeah we saw it earlier this year with Palworld. "Pokemon with guns" is easy to sell when 1) Pokemon is never gonna make that game themselves anyway and 2) the game you made is actually fun to play. By and large people don't give a shit about knockoffs as long as its a good knockoff.

With hero shooters it's not like there's a lot of Overwatch clones on the market (is Paladins even still a thing? 😂 ) and Overwatch itself isn't as hot as it once was which means there's quite a lot of room to jump in and and really swipe some of Blizzard's lunch. Combine that with a strong IP like the Marvel Universe and it just sounds like a very good recipe to me.

Yeah I think there's still plenty of space for another good hero shooter on the market, especially since trends swung away from hero shooters into BRs and extraction shooters. It'll just come down to execution.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the shooting doesn't feel too floaty or weightless against real people.

I saw that dev match against bots and it wasn't exactly a good showing of combat lol.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Yeahhhhhhhh idk who the hell even got a key at this point

eDIGI

Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There is art now of a few of the unannounced characters. Would one be banned for posting said images? I see they are being removed from twitter.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Having skins behind a closed alpha, that they say is focused on region only, is fucked
Totally agree. Same thing I thought when I saw that there was a skin for this closed alpha. Should only have exclusive things that everyone can get in an open beta or something.

If they do also have the same skin in an open beta too, then I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
If yer feeling generous once you get the extra key at lvl 6 I'd appreciate it !!!

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
If there is anyone that hits lvl 6 and gets an extra key, id love to get it if you dont have a friend to give it to.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Fun game so far! Played two matches at punisher and Star lord. Pretty much third person marvel watch, but that's what I wanted!

Also not to be rude but people on right now are ass 😂 went 19-1 and 20-0 😂