Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, agree, no only a few characters have it the other chars use that button for certain Teamups, Rocket uses B to climb on Groot and Y for the Punisher teamup.

Gotcha. Y and B being essentially reserved for specialty buttons makes sense, especially with the dpad being fully used.

You understand every layout is fully customizable to your liking, and PER character so you can do what you prefer for each one. Right ?

Of course, I still think the defaults are worth assessing in their own right since most people will likely stick with them.

I'm assuming the ultimate can also be configured though I'm curious if it can be done for any other button combo or not. Because if it can't that's a weird limiter in terms of what you can swap around.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
I was not expecting much from this game given that I fell off Overwatch hard a few years ago and had basically given up on the hero shooter genre, but wow I am hooked on this. The art style and presentation is absolutely top drawer and just exudes comic book. At times it feels like characters are jumping out of a Marvel comic and into your screen. However none of that would matter if the gameplay wasn't great, and I was expecting the heroes to feel more straightforward and gimmicky than Overwatch. As it turns out, these developers absolutely know their stuff, and these characters are fun, engaging, dynamic, complex, and more importantly fun to play. I've never been much of a support player, but my favorite character in the entire game may be Luna Snow. She's somehow a support who requires excellent aim to heal teammates but can also secure some KOs and clutch matches through her two AOE ultimate.

It's only been a day so maybe I'll discover more flaws over the next week, but so far I have to applaud NetEase for what they've put out.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Really hoping there isn't any crossinput if there is already controller/console datamines. Don't want to see another promising shooter ruined by aim assist on PC.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Mouse+keyboard and controller players playing together. It's a hot topic in basically any shooter where that's a thing. PC players feel fucked over due to the controller's aim assist, console players feel fucked over due to MKB being more accurate in general. I'm all for cross-play, but shooters with it definitely need an option for lobbies where everyone uses the same input device.

NoalleGospell

Dec 3, 2018
Puerto Rico
Mouse+keyboard and controller players playing together. It's a hot topic in basically any shooter where that's a thing. PC players feel fucked over due to the controller's aim assist, console players feel fucked over due to MKB being more accurate in general. I'm all for cross-play, but shooters with it definitely need an option for lobbies where everyone uses the same input device.
the game already has controller support, thats how i play since I dislike using MKB

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Really hoping there isn't any crossinput if there is already controller/console datamines. Don't want to see another promising shooter ruined by aim assist on PC.

There's no datamining going on here, the PC version has controller support.

Also the hitboxes are a bit bigger than the models and there's currently no sniper characters so it's not that bad. Felt fine playing with and against them so far as a M&K user.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
I always see Hela players getting MVP. I've not played her yet.

romey

Mar 2, 2020
The impact of the attacks doesn't look satisfying at all. Time to improve I guess

Last edited:

romey

Mar 2, 2020
Almost every creator is comparing this game to Overwatch. To the point I wonder if they're being told to say that lol. Overwatch is mentioned at least 20 times in these gameplay videos.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
I always see Hela players getting MVP. I've not played her yet.

Hela is really good and while I am reluctant to suggest any balance changes as we're still figuring the game out, she is definitely one of the biggest pain points in the feedback document my group is working on.

The impact of the attacks doesn't look satisfying at all. Time to improve I guess

Super depends on the move, but yeah there's a bunch that need help. Not just damage attacks either, stuff like Rocket's healing really needs much better feedback like tendrils and sounds coming off of the orbs when they heal etc.

Almost every creator is comparing this game to Overwatch. To the point I wonder if they're being told to say that lol. Overwatch is mentioned at least 20 times in these gameplay videos.

I'm closing in on 24 hours played with couple thousand in Overwatch 1 and several hundred in Overwatch 2, and it's a lot like Overwatch, so that checks out.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Loki is my fav. You can get some nasty damage/heal output just placing your clone smartly. Then his ult mimics anybody WITH that persons ult ready to use lol.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
#NerfHela
ive been playing Luna and Rocket most of my support games.
i tried to play rank but they got people never playing the game before and it shows.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah hela is pretty silly. Are her stakes hitscan? Sure feels that way.

I guess it's kinda like cassidy's six shooter.

Last edited:

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Played some more before work.

Man good Spider-Man's are crazy. He's not the best in a team fight and is more about getting in > harassing or getting a kill > then getting out.

But he's a beast against teams that do not peel for the back line or group up. He just blows up people who don't pay attention and his mobility is crazy.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Played some more before work.

Man good Spider-Man's are crazy. He's not the best in a team fight and is more about getting in > harassing or getting a kill > then getting out.

But he's a beast against teams that do not peel for the back line or group up. He just blows up people who don't pay attention and his mobility is crazy.

I play as Luna Snow a lot and I'd say most of my time is fighting off Spider-Man and Scarlet Witch players.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gimme tips. I tried playing him once and couldn't figure him out at all.

Are you familiar with current Overwatch characters?

- I try to play him like a mix of Sombra + Baptiste/Ana/Illari from OW. Sombra due to his invis and teleport ability for repositioning, Baptiste + Ana because his weapon requires you to "shoot" the teammate to heal them, as well as using a healing pod that makes your team invulnerable for a few seconds. And Illari because with smart clone placement, the clones can act like her pylon.

- I find him strongest in the backline where he has better FOV of everybody on the battlefield.

- Use his clones liberally. Use them for distractions. Use them to deliberately do damage on people. Use them as points of teleportation. They have their own hitbox so they're basically stationary meat shields. You can have up to 2 clones on the map that will stay in place permanently until they are killed, or replaced by another clone. They have their own HP pool though so be mindful if you want to "teleport" to them but sometimes that might be the smart thing to do to get outta dicey situations. Always be ready to use clones!

- The clones can simultaneously emulate any 3 actions that you're doing with primary Loki: firing, knifing, or using Loki's healing pod. Clones are still capable of damaging the enemy, and will fire exactly where your crosshair is aiming whenever you press left click. So if the clones are not in the line of sight of what *you're* seeing, they're probably going to end up shooting the wall, ceiling, etc.

- One of my fav ways to do big heals/damage is stacking the clones in one spot, hiding behind them and then begin firing down range. You're essentially firing 3 shots at once that can heal a HUGE amount of HP for allies since Loki's bullets have a splash radius. Vice versa you'd be doing just as much damage on the enemy. With clones out, it's quick and easy to deal out 30 bullets in 5 seconds. (10 bullets fired by you, 10 fired by clone 1, 10 fired by clone 2). Same concept with his healing pods - you'd have 3 healing pods all thrown at the same time which acts as 3 separate locations that you and your teammates will be invulnerable for a few seconds.

- I use Loki's ult depending on who I think has the strongest character on the field. If there's a Hela, Wanda or Punisher in play, I specifically copy them just to gain their ultimate ability immediately. Get a few kills with their ultimate then I'm back to Loki again. Rinse and repeat the above tips.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
Played a few more games today and yeah still really enjoying this game. It's rekindled my enjoyment of multiplayer games in a way nothing has since OW1. I think the 3rd person nature of the game is a huge part of this - the art style and animations are so cool that I'm constantly impressed by how my characters jump and dash around the battlefield. Plus it will make cosmetics more interesting since you'll get to see them on your character in real time.

Balance also seems to be in a good spot - there seems to be decent counter play to most abilities and I haven't come across any ults that seem grossly overpowered (this was one of OW's weaknesses). Choke points also don't seem quite as oppressive in Rivals, with lots of ways to get from A to B.

Are you familiar with current Overwatch characters?

- I try to play him like a mix of Sombra + Baptiste/Ana/Illari from OW. Sombra due to his invis and teleport ability for repositioning, Baptiste + Ana because his weapon requires you to "shoot" the teammate to heal them, as well as using a healing pod that makes your team invulnerable for a few seconds. And Illari because with smart clone placement, the clones can act like her pylon.

- I find him strongest in the backline where he has better FOV of everybody on the battlefield.

- Use his clones liberally. Use them for distractions. Use them to deliberately do damage on people. Use them as points of teleportation. They have their own hitbox so they're basically stationary meat shields. You can have up to 2 clones on the map that will stay in place permanently until they are killed, or replaced by another clone. They have their own HP pool though so be mindful if you want to "teleport" to them but sometimes that might be the smart thing to do to get outta dicey situations. Always be ready to use clones!

- The clones can simultaneously emulate any 3 actions that you're doing with primary Loki: firing, knifing, or using Loki's healing pod. Clones are still capable of damaging the enemy, and will fire exactly where your crosshair is aiming whenever you press left click. So if the clones are not in the line of sight of what *you're* seeing, they're probably going to end up shooting the wall, ceiling, etc.

- One of my fav ways to do big heals/damage is stacking the clones in one spot, hiding behind them and then begin firing down range. You're essentially firing 3 shots at once that can heal a HUGE amount of HP for allies since Loki's bullets have a splash radius. Vice versa you'd be doing just as much damage on the enemy. With clones out, it's quick and easy to deal out 30 bullets in 5 seconds. (10 bullets fired by you, 10 fired by clone 1, 10 fired by clone 2). Same concept with his healing pods - you'd have 3 healing pods all thrown at the same time which acts as 3 separate locations that you and your teammates will be invulnerable for a few seconds.

- I use Loki's ult depending on who I think has the strongest character on the field. If there's a Hela, Wanda or Punisher in play, I specifically copy them just to gain their ultimate ability immediately. Get a few kills with their ultimate then I'm back to Loki again. Rinse and repeat the above tips.
That's helpful thanks. I bounced off Overwatch years ago so I'm not familiar with their newer characters. I've seen Loki clones be placed all over the battlefield, sometimes right up against the enemy team. Do you have tips for where you usually place them?

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Played a few more games today and yeah still really enjoying this game. It's rekindled my enjoyment of multiplayer games in a way nothing has since OW1. I think the 3rd person nature of the game is a huge part of this - the art style and animations are so cool that I'm constantly impressed by how my characters jump and dash around the battlefield. Plus it will make cosmetics more interesting since you'll get to see them on your character in real time.

Balance also seems to be in a good spot - there seems to be decent counter play to most abilities and I haven't come across any ults that seem grossly overpowered (this was one of OW's weaknesses). Choke points also don't seem quite as oppressive in Rivals, with lots of ways to get from A to B.

That's helpful thanks. I bounced off Overwatch years ago so I'm not familiar with their newer characters. I've seen Loki clones be placed all over the battlefield, sometimes right up against the enemy team. Do you have tips for where you usually place them?

It's situational really. If I'm set up at a vantage point I like putting them up high and raining heals down low to people below, if I'm behind payload I just stack clones behind payload and move/heal/fight with my clones in the back. If I just need a distraction mid fight I just throw them in front of enemies faces.

You just gotta play with the clones and remember that they're pieces to summon at your disposal.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
This is fun af but wow I gotta learn a hero cause I'm getting wrecked online

Oct 25, 2017
Mantis is such a fun healer. Honestly the tanks and healers in this game are really great. They did a great job with them.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Mantis is such a fun healer. Honestly the tanks and healers in this game are really great. They did a great job with them.

There's a few characters that have been slipping through the cracks a bit when it comes to discussion, Mantis being one of them. So good to hear that she's also fun, especially since she seems to be the closest to a traditional support character.

A personal rule-of-thumb I've come to with a lot of modern multiplayer games is that you know the characters are overall well-designed when the support characters are popular but not dominating. Support's one of the trickiest roles to make fun - nobody wants to be the guy sitting in the back doing nothing except providing heals - so any game that's got that balance nailed is likely nailing the rest of it (or at least most of it).

BitterRoot

Jul 4, 2022
I don't have a PC to play this, but I will give a chance once is on consoles.

By the look on these videos, everything seems floaty, like missing some feedback on impacts.
I would rather this to be more like Paragon than Paladins and Overwatch, with characters reacting better to the hits.

Maybe with controllers and some physical feedback this will change, but I don't know.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
From the discord

# Dear Marvel Rivals players,

Today is the third day of the Closed Alpha Test, and we are truly grateful for all the love and support from the community.

We would like to take this opportunity to address the concerns we've seen regarding the agreement terms of Content Creator Programs and, above all, we would like to apologize for any unpleasant experiences or doubts caused by the miscommunication of these terms.

The Content Creator Program is a small-scale project that aims to aid in the production of incredible content by supporting Creators through giving them more resources. We actively encourage Creators to share their honest thoughts, suggestions, and criticisms as they play. All feedback, positive and negative, ultimately helps us craft the best experience for ourselves and the players.

We sincerely apologize for the confusion, suspicion, and frustration caused by these excessively restrictive terms and thank you for sharing with us. We cherish and appreciate every suggestion given by our players and always respect your feedback. We are currently working with Creators who have expressed these concerns and are revising the current version to be less restrictive and more Creator-friendly. Thank you for bearing with us while we make these adjustments.

We hope you are enjoying the game so far and we are always open to hearing your sincere thoughts and ideas on how we can improve the game. @everyone

Marvel Rivals Team

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Watching people play makes it seem like the game will likely have the Overwatch open queue problem of hoping people on your team will play the roles or characters necessary to win

Obviously this is just the alpha, so devs can work on getting closer to the point of most characters/compositions being viable, but looking at the current healing output of supports and the tankiness of the tanks, I think we'll be praying during matchmaking that we get a certain number of each role on our teams

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Watching people play makes it seem like the game will likely have the Overwatch open queue problem of hoping people on your team will play the roles or characters necessary to win

Obviously this is just the alpha, so devs can work on getting closer to the point of most characters/compositions being viable, but looking at the current healing output of supports and the tankiness of the tanks, I think we'll be praying during matchmaking that we get a certain number of each role on our teams

Role queue would help but the game (much like OW) is pretty matchup focused, so it can only help so much. Being forced to have 2-2-2 would be nice, but you're still going to have people who pick heroes into bad matchups and be pretty useless the whole game because it's their main and they're not flexible.

Especially since how tanky tanks are super varies based on the DPS you pick, Spider-Man can take a relatively long time to kill them because he's an Assassin focused on killing healers and squishy DPS, meanwhile Punisher can 3 shot the Hulk with his Shotgun. (and is one of the few people that can burst kill through some of the crazier support healing with his Shotgun shot -> smoke -> Shotgun shot cancel)

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Role queue would help but the game (much like OW) is pretty matchup focused, so it can only help so much. Being forced to have 2-2-2 would be nice, but you're still going to have people who pick heroes into bad matchups and be pretty useless the whole game because it's their main and they're not flexible.

Especially since how tanky tanks are super varies based on the DPS you pick, Spider-Man can take a relatively long time to kill them because he's an Assassin focused on killing healers and squishy DPS, meanwhile Punisher can 3 shot the Hulk with his Shotgun. (and is one of the few people that can burst kill through some of the crazier support healing with his Shotgun shot -> smoke -> Shotgun shot cancel)
Yeah, I mean, I think it's smart for them to see how it all plays out. Maybe allowing teams to play 3 DPS or 3 tanks or whatever it is your team wants to run will be for the better overall

Just keeping a wary eye on things, hoping that the game doesn't run into the same issues that Overwatch had. But hey, maybe the Marvel Rivals version of GOATS could be fun! You never know

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

The Duelist/DPS role is the one that naturally attracts the most players. It's also the one with the most characters (more than half of the roster currently). It's also the one where the most popular characters reside. They're going to have exactly the same problem that Overwatch did and I believe they'll find it just as intractible.

Having thought about this a lot with respect to OW, I think there's basically two core problems. One is that the community's preference for playing the roles doesn't match the meta, and the second is that competitive games are often won and lost depending on whether you luck into a group that can play/wants to play the meta.

Obviously one answer to the first issue is to try and balance the game such that the meta does fit more closely to what people want to play. Maybe that's 1-4-1. I can't imagine it being that easy to achieve such a balance because it paradoxically requires tanks and supports to be capable on their own without being problematic if there are two or more of them.

While the meta is still crystalising it won't be a huge problem, but it will crystalise, and I suspect they'll be forced to match what Overwatch has done, at least with moving to role queue.

OP
OP
Hasney

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After playing a few matches… Yeah, it's fine. It desperately needs role queue and I'm not a huge fan of it being third person, but it feels slightly better than that Gundam game.

Don't think it will be pulling me away from Overwatch anytime soon, but hell, I quit Overwatch pretty soon in because of all the problems that had, and after adding role queue, kept me there. If they don't charge for the heroes, I might keep up with the game in a F2P way with a couple of matches here and there like I did with Gundam, but I want to play Magick and that sword just feels like shit on impact. May as well be grating cheese with that thing!

For whatever reason, third person seems to work better on consoles for me, so if there's cross progression, maybe I'll just play there like I do Fortnite.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder when that rose gold mercy is going down if it was actually accurate.. 1 more day for Hanzo buffs..

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I don't play Overwatch anymore and this has been nice. It could use more polish but they clearly took the homework head on for solid voicework with attractive character design and animations.

I feel the destructive environment mechanic could fee muchl better but they've said there going to work on it.

I'm going to one-trick pony as Peni Parker for my entire play time, just as Reinhardt before her. As long as I have the freedom to play her when I want, I'm good.

OP
OP
Hasney

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, they completley put you with bots to start with. No way are both teams going 2-2-2 and playing that bad other than me.

Did anyone create the Era faction? Because I will otherwise.

Faction New
OP
OP
Hasney

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Do it. :) Would love to join.
image.png

If anyone wants to join and has a different in game name to Era username, just quote this and let me know what in-game name you're using.