• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
She's essentially destroyed so she wouldn't buff the card

Unless it was changed recently if you played Forge and the card is destroyed it would still buff the next card played. I assume Shuri worked like that too which is why I'm surprised RG works on her. His effect seems to be truly unique.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
He works against anything - "removes text" rather than "cancels their ongoing" or something like that. Had one hit my ~9pt Nebula and punt her back down to 1 the other day, ouch!
Assuming I'm understanding you currently, I don't believe this works. If a card is in the "booster shop section" and then you gain additional boosters and upgrade it outside of the shop, I don't believe you get the opportunity to still upgrade it again during that shop cycle. It would just show as "upgraded" in the shop.
Can confirm - in what must be an extremely rare coincidence, this happened to me already and I was there to notice it! Yep, just shows "upgraded".

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it was changed recently if you played Forge and the card is destroyed it would still buff the next card played. I assume Shuri worked like that too which is why I'm surprised RG works on her. His effect seems to be truly unique.
Forge is the greatest X men to ever live so it makes sense he is able to function even from beyond the grave, Im surprised you're not up to date on the lore to realize this. How embarrassing for you.

But seriously I think some of these on reveal card have a pocket ongoing effect that is waiting to trigger under conditions like "do X next turn" effects. Idk why the card getting destroyed still allows the trigger to remain but RG seems to be able to kill the effect outright and deny it from triggering if he gets priority. That's the way I have looked at it so far.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Thanos does pretty good as often they just hit out an Infinity Stone with their Zemo, and Gladiator runs the coin flip risk of pulling out one of the decks bigger cards. Loki isn't bad either as your generated cards will help make up for the cards that get stolen from you. Destroy also does fairly good where if they play a late Zemo they risk pulling Carnage or Deathlok ruining their lane, and if Gladiator destroys a card X--23, Wolverine or Deadpool, that's just furthering your gameplan.

Nico is certainly the card of note for most people because you'll probably find a use for one of the spells in the matchup, from the humble +2 to a card to Double power on Nico making her a 1 Energy 4 Power, to turning another cheap card into a demon or sacrificing it for 2 additional cards, getting a second copy of a strong 3, 4 or even 5 Energy card (Even a second 6 Energy if the stars align in a limbo game) to changing a game losing location into one that can turn the tide, Nico just really flexible with the spells, the only really underwhelming one is the move a card to the right, which really only comes up if you are using a move deck, maybe it lets you into Sanctum Sanctorum, but 6 out of 7 spells are good, and if there isn't a spell that works out for you, she''s just a 1 cost anyway so its no massive loss. Destroy tends to play her the most since it gets the most out of the destroy and draw 2 spell (Plus Deadpool likes that +2 power spell), but I've seen her used in decks like Silver Surfer, Bounce, C2, Patriot, Lockdown, Galactus, even the humble Kazoo at the lower levels like Nico as a good 1 drop to include early on. She's one of the best one drops in the game and worth including in most collections.

White Widow we'll have to see how strong she is as the week progresses before getting a full recommendation, I will say that in High Evolutionary specifically her Widow's bite is a temporary afflicted card which can discount the abomination until your opponent fills up the lane (And if they do fill up a lane too quickly to counter it, that's a lane you can easily win later on with your big payoff cards) which does make her a consideration for the deck. She's a tech option to consider at least. As I've said previously, she's the child of Green Goblin and Lizard, the 6 power early on will force your opponent to play to the lane to clear it up (Although its much easier to play 3 cards into a lane to negate than the 4 compared to Lizard), she can fill the last spot in your opponents location and block it off, making it easier to win like a green goblin can (And if she whiffs, you just spent 2 energy for 2 power, in contrast to the 3 energy for the minus -3 Goblin has trapped in your lane. And late game she can just be dropped in the lane your opponent didn't fill up to be a 2-6 if you don't have any better plays. She is a card that does favour decks with a lot of Series 3 cards though (Bounce, Hazmat, Junk) so I can understand skipping her for now if the collection level is low.

Snowguard is pretty much good for the one deck, Loki, it's add 2 cards to your hand, they get discounted by Quinjet, they cheapen Mockingjay, and 2 cards for Loki to transform. I wouldn't consider the card if you don't have Loki specifically. Bear might have it's situational uses, but any attentive player is going to play accordingly around the Snowhawks effect of shutting of locations, and whilst cancelling limbo in matchups where you face against Magik, they will probably retreat upon seeing the Snowguard or pivot their gameplan to try and win on 6, in contrast to a surprise switchoff of Limbo from a Storm, Scarlet Witch, or even the prior mentioned Nico Mineru.

So the cache is mainly noteworthy for Nico and possibly White Widow, both of which are Series 5 cards as well which makes the set seem more valuable. You can of course wait till Monday next week to see if more data on how good White Widow comes in before making the call if you don't want to save up. The only other thing to check is other upcoming spotlight caches to see if cards from them appeal to you more.

To close, I guess I'll give my recommendation of the next cache set I would recommend for a low collection player in the current datamined sets (Assuming these don't get shuffled around or anything.)

The next really great one is probably going to be the Makkari, M.O.D.O.K., X-23 set in Mid June, M.O.D.O.K. is a key card for Discard even with low collection levels just using stuff like Swarrm, Morbius and Apocalypse, Makkari... err, in theory is a free 3 power somewhere, the question is if that's going into an important lane though, and also you gotta beware her clogging one of your lanes. 3 cost makes it noteworthy in Silver Surfer though. X-23 on the other hand is a key card for Destroy, though Destroy may want to consider Knull alongside it.

And Speaking of Knull he's in next weeks set so if you are looking for that Destroy deck he's one you really want to get. Alongside Knull there's Valentina who might be worth considering, it's random which 6 drop you get, but your more likely to get value with it at 4 even with the reduced power, again something Loki favours because of Quinjet and it's card generation though, so mileage may vary, depends on how much you like random generation decks. Blob was king when Thanos was King, now Thanos got nerfed and Red Hulk came out he's sorta lost his spot in the meta. So really, depending on if you like Valentina or not, this one is mostly for Knull, who's a series 4 card anyway, but a key one for Destroy.

I don't rank next weeks as good as Nico in this weeks one or the Makkari set in June (assuming that doesn't change), but it's worth considering if only because I think most of Mays Caches are not that great, often with cards that need other cards surrounding them to be really good or standout. I can hardly recommend any of them as these got great cards for a low collection player to use in their decks, will have to see if any of these sets change or the cards change themselves. Because at the moment it's hard to really recommend any of them myself. I'm only getting Sasquatch/Ravonna/Havok because it''s the only set where I don't have any of those cards and I need Ravonna for my Tribunal Deck. A lot of Ravonna's synergies are with some of the most high end decks in the game (Living Tribunal, Mr. Negative, Galactus). And this set also has Havok in it. Havok. (Sasquatch is probably going to be ok in stuff like Bounce and Hit Monkey though, not a card that'll shine in low collection decks though.)

After that, keep your eye on the Phastos Cache as Phastos could be an archetype enabler (Or at least a Silver Silver inclusion), Spider Ham is a fun disruption tool, and Corvus is real strong in Discard. The Sersi Set looks good too if only because Phoenix Force is a deck enabler (Although one that ones Nimrod which I don't know when Nimrod is next showing up), Sersi herself could be wild, and Miek is another good discard card (But not a requirement for it, Mobius does most of what Miek does already)

And I guess I should also mention the Arishem Cache on the first week of July. Not that I think Arishem is going to be good, but he'll be a fun card at least. +1 Energy at the cost of shuffling a District X into your deck. Black Swan and Hercules are just sorta there though so this is more of a For Fun week instead of a "This is going to be good week" (And if Arishem does end up insanely broken, its probably worth using Tokens instead with this cache.)

And of course, all this is subject to change on Nerfs and Buffs alongside if they change whats shows up in each spotlight cache as well.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I think I'm gonna skip these cards. I already have MODOK (he's my all time favourite Marvel character), I just had a look at the upcoming cards and I think the Blob/Knull week appeals to me most so I'll wait for that.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Most other cards don't, this is just one of those inconsistencies that SD love to have in the game

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is Proxima Midnight a must card? To see if I should just reroll her from the store

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Been playing two months and still don't fully understand who's cards turn over first and why, or how you can tell which cards will be revealed first?
Fed up with my Shang being useless because it's revealed first.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Been playing two months and still don't fully understand who's cards turn over first and why, or how you can tell which cards will be revealed first?
Fed up with my Shang being useless because it's revealed first.
It's always who's name is highlighted at the start of the turn. That's selected by who is currently ahead in the game. If it's a tie, it's a random selection but the name is always highlighted. In the image below, KKSparkles had priority this turn since their name was highlighted.

thOIfvc.png

Rukland

Oct 28, 2017
Most other cards don't, this is just one of those inconsistencies that SD love to have in the game

This is just not true. Cards with on reveal trigger after being destroyed all the time. Example play Nico in a Destroy deck her effect will proc even if the next card blows her up. Honestly the Red Guardian into Shuri example sounds like a bug. Since we know on reveals go into a holding place even if the card is destroyed. Again play Forge, Nico, Iron Fist, etc into Death's Domain and they all still trigger as expected.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
This is just not true. Cards with on reveal trigger after being destroyed all the time. Example play Nico in a Destroy deck her effect will proc even if the next card blows her up. Honestly the Red Guardian into Shuri example sounds like a bug. Since we know on reveals go into a holding place even if the card is destroyed. Again play Forge, Nico, Iron Fist, etc into Death's Domain and they all still trigger as expected.

This is my feeling as well, I can't think of a single non-self-targetting on reveal effect that doesn't trigger if the card was destroyed. Kang gives you your rewind if he was destroyed even!

Rukland

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much the only things stopping an on reveal is Cosmo or Deep Space. Anything else is most likely a bug.

Rukland

Oct 28, 2017
He's not destroying the card though - he removes the text. He's old school Leech but for a single card.
A card that is already in play, if he is hitting Shuri it means her effect has already triggered. Unless SD is going to claim removing her text removes her already triggered effect I stand by this feels like a bug. Red Guardian should have zero effect on a on cards like that. Old Leech was different he was hitting cards in hand not cards that had already been played.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
He's not destroying the card though - he removes the text. He's old school Leech but for a single card.

The text already happened! It happened on reveal! He wouldn't remove the buffs applied by Iron Heart or shrink Black Panther or undestroy the cards Carnage/Venom/AZ destroyed or unmoved cards Ghost Spider or Polaris moved.

Rukland

Oct 28, 2017
If Red Hulk gets his nerf today ( I hope it does) then even more people are going to be mad they skipped on Cannonball. Who is legit a good card in this current meta.

Rusty Rascal

Sep 25, 2023
Northern Ireland
Red Guardian take away the text and gives the card -2. If Angela already had gotten one buff she would drop to 0. If you hit her before she gets that buff yes she goes to -2.
Yeah I agree, I was using it as an example cos someone said thier Nebula dropped to 1 and that didnt sound right. Completely agree that he shouldn't stop anything that's already happened, like Shuris on reveal

Rukland

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I agree, I was using it as an example cos someone said thier Nebula dropped to 1 and that didnt sound right. Completely agree that he shouldn't stop anything that's already happened, like Shuris on reveal

I mean if Nebula had gotten one turn to get her buff and then you play Red Guardian she will drop to 1. That is how the card works.

Rusty Rascal

Sep 25, 2023
Northern Ireland

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
You really have to be down bad to have this emote, huh?

StormJustNo.png

I just spent 5,000 tokens to buy the ultimate Jane Foster variant to unlock the emote

jungomitis

Apr 8, 2020
Got this week's cache since I was missing all 3 cards. Got M.O.D.O.K. too before I could get White Widow
So far, kind of confused how to best use Nico, my opponent got annoyed at me because I had to read each spell lol

I might end up skipping next week even though I really want Knull. I already have Blob and I don't care for variant collecting

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Meh OTA

Mantis is better I guess. Rulk change is like blob in that it changes nothing tbh

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with the actual changes in this OTA, but the most overplayed decks are still not getting touched. This won't have any change on the meta.