• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Marvelous released three games on Nintendo platforms last year. One on 3DS---an enhanced version of Harvest Moon... Pardon, Story of Seasons: A Tale of Two Towns, which was originally released on DS (this very 3DS version was already released in Europe in 2012)---and Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star and Senran Kagura: Shinobi Refle (eShop only) on Switch. According to the company latest financial report, it seems that all of them have sold well:

All three titles have been "selling well" and previously released titles have been seeing favorable repeat sales.

We knew Shinobi Refle sold well because it was at the top of eShop rankings and according to Famitsu it sold around 36k during launch month. It was also a pretty cheap "game". Fate/Extella did around 10k at launch in Japan but it seems these were enough alongside Western sales.

To celebrate these results, Marvelous is not releasing the next entries of the two franchises on Switch.

Source: Marvelous via Nintendo Soup

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the Senran creator (director?) saying he didn't like the switch. Still weird that these devs haven't tried to pivot back

NeoPancho

Nov 3, 2017
Loved Fate/Extella The Umbal Star, i was hoping for the next one to be released in Switch... maybe 1 year later with (hopefully) some DLC included -_-...

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Well, that's just dumb.

I mean, I don't play those games but from a business perspective not releasing new games on a platform where previous entries were successful is just dumb.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Strange then that they are not releasing Fate/Extella Link on the Switch if they think the previous game sold well. Maybe they are thinking that they can get people to double dip?

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I expect F/E Link will probably come to Switch and Steam at a later date, maybe timed for the western release. It is weird it's not day-and-date in Japan but maybe Sony threw MMV a royalty cut for the window.

Senran Kagura is iffier given the series producer seems so down on Switch. There's still the pinball spinoff but the real question is if the main series makes it too or remains PS4 only.

Anyway, at least the two most important upcoming Marvelous franchises, Story of Seasons and No More Heroes, are Switch bound. And exclusively at that.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The power of HD Rumble

omgx1alzwdcwbwyuasem.gif

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
Shinobi refle passed 50k in december as per the producer twitter account.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I expect F/E Link will probably come to Switch and Steam at a later date, maybe timed for the western release. It is weird it's not day-and-date in Japan but maybe Sony threw MMV a royalty cut for the window.

Senran Kagura is iffier given the series producer seems so down on Switch. There's still the pinball spinoff but the real question is if the main series makes it too or remains PS4 only.

Anyway, at least the two most important upcoming Marvelous franchises, Story of Seasons and No More Heroes, are Switch bound. And exclusively at that.

Suda implied Travis Strikes Again might come to the other consoles after Switch and we don't know about Story of Seasons because it hasn't actually been announced.

Factory 1.21

Oct 29, 2017
Colorado, USA
I'm not a graphics obsessive but I'm really looking forward to a Story of Seasons with better-than-3DS graphics. That having been said, I absolutely loved Trio of Towns. Played it for millions of hours.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Reminder that Refle also that the most popular SK character in Japan as a DLC character for the price of the main game. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a 50% attach rate for her since the game itself was cheap anyway.
But yeah, as said in other threads, Takaki is still hoping for a Vita 2 and is not that interested by the Switch.

Where's that pinball game? :/
Supposed to be released soon I think. Burst RE (PS4 only remake of a 3DS game) is just coming out sooner so the PR machine is all about that.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
who cares. marvelous would be dumb not to release harvest moon, looking at stardew valley sales, and that is the only really relevant series they have imho. also did they already announce that they are definately ruling out ports of the sequels or is this just speculation based on the fact its not day one?

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that Refle also that the most popular SK character in Japan as a DLC character for the price of the main game. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a 50% attach rate for her since the game itself was cheap anyway.
But yeah, as said in other threads, Takaki is still hoping for a Vita 2 and is not that interested by the Switch.

Supposed to be released soon I think. Burst RE (PS4 only remake of a 3DS game) is just coming out sooner so the PR machine is all about that.
Well, he shouldn't hold his breath.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
It would be nice if the HD remake of the two Nintendo 3DS exclusive games actually came to the new Nintendo system in addition to the new audience on PS4, it's not like we don't want to play them in HD with all the new tweaks and additions. Or heck just any game at all that's not a pinball spinoff or HD Rumble tech demo, why not port SV over to Switch since the series already annoyingly platform hops all over the place. Nintendo systems have all the innovations the director likes (3D to see the boobs inspired the whole series, HD Rumble to feel them now, ffs) yet he's putting shitty spinoffs on what could become one of their most successful platforms ever and moving the mainline games over to PS4, which is where the spinoffs used to go. Spinoffs that were still actual Senran Kagura beat-em-up games, mind, not visual novels and pinball games.

This is so stupid. What would a Vita 2 have that the Switch doesn't have? More power? Nice try unless it's gonna cost $500+. Instead of waiting for a system that will never happen to come out he should just sack up and use the one that's currently available.

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
Fate had a physical release I'm pretty sure?

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Funny that I only could think on "We sent the game to die to justify our negative on launch X game on Y platform, but for some reason the game lived up the expectatives and sold well. So, logically we'll not support the Y platform because there isn't any reason for that".

Weird to say at least. But let's not overthinking on this, after all, Switch will continue to exceed expectations in this whole lifecycle.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Still waiting for Refle to get localized, was hoping we'd have it by now since it's not a really lengthy game or anything from what I've seen.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
We need a Rune Factory game. I would buy a port of Frontier.
I concur. I know that Neverland doesn't exist anynore, but the people who worked there now works at Marvelous, correct?

I'm trying to think what does a new Story of Seasons have to do to make consumers choose to purchase it over Stardew Valley? Feels like Marvelous needs to one up their game with that series.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's still that pinball game coming, I'm looking forward to that.

Extella is a mediocre musou clone so eh, whatever.