• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who says this will commercially flop is insane. Really the only even slight threat to their sales numbers is the fact that they are pretty close to Cyberpunk and even then they are different kinds of games.

Critical reception is a different story, but this game will sell.

Aug 13, 2019
I really don't like Captain America's suit but otherwise, I think the character designs are fine. I especially like Thor, Hulk, Ms. Marvel, and Iron Man. They look good. Gameplay still looks kind of rough but I've been wanting a third-person Captain America game so hopefully, this gets me a bit closer to that.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who says this will commercially flop is insane. Really the only even slight threat to their sales numbers is the fact that they are pretty close to Cyberpunk and even then they are different kinds of games.

Something that I think people are forgetting, but even though it isn't announced, it's all but confirmed Batman is coming this fall. If anything is gonna have an impact on sales, it'll be that.

Oct 26, 2017

Yes.

Reviews are a complete different thing but unless this game is worse than The Quiet Man or Left Alive it's going to a be a success sales wise.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Something that I think people are forgetting, but even though it isn't announced, it's all but confirmed Batman is coming this fall. If anything is gonna have an impact on sales, it'll be that.

Unless Batman is within a week of this game, I don't think they affect each other much at all. If Batman hits in say October, the die will already be cast on Avengers. Either it's already sold all it's gonna sell because it's trash or it's got a month of good WoM that gives it unassailable momentum.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Alright, a better sales talking point, Spider-man. Does this game go over or under Spidey's sales?

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Unless Batman is within a week of this game, I don't think they affect each other much at all. If Batman hits in say October, the die will already be cast on Avengers. Either it's already sold all it's gonna sell because it's trash or it's got a month of good WoM that gives it unassailable momentum.
With Cyberpunk coming September 17th, I think it's safe to say Batman will be in October. I wonder if the inverse will happen and Avengers sales will affect Batman. I can't see many people outside hardcore gamers having the money to buy two big AAA superhero GaaS games a month apart.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, a better sales talking point, Spider-man. Does this game go over or under Spidey's sales?

That definitely depends on quality but it absolutely should considering it's not exclusive. Last number we got on Spider-Man was 13.2 million IIRC. I could see it besting that if it's decent.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
They need to sit down, set a date, and give us a 30 minute chunk of gameplay other than the start of the game.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
LOL why are people saying this will sell solely on the Avengers name...that's not how it works, look at all the other successful film and movie properties that has flopped as a game.

When people think Avengers in 2020, they think MCU movie Avengers...this has none of those vibes. This game looks like your uncle with a beer belly and his friends showing up to a costume party in homemade Marvel gear. And every other property listed in this thread (EA Star Wars games this gen, Spider-Man) have looked INFINITELY BETTER at every step of the way than this game. And then, only a few characters to choose from?

We haven't seen one snippet of gameplay that doesn't either look like trash, or looks mediocre...or even worse for the casual audience people are mentioning, "What is this game exactly?" Like, that's how bad it looks, you have experienced gamers here that don't know what the hell this is.

Then you have Square Enix, who can't market ice to a penguin. This has bomba all over it...but remember, people also though Anthem wouldn't flop "because Bioware" and "people will eat up the opportunity to be a flying Iron Man!"

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's fun and last we saw gameplay of it at least a few of the characters were confirmed fun, no?

Spider-Man PS4 is still the high watermark so we'll see if this approaches it. I also want to see multiplayer in action before committing.

Will wait for an inevitable sale so I can see how they support and build upon the base.

Wonder if it's supposed to be a DMC or Sekiro alike.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
LOL why are people saying this will sell solely on the Avengers name...that's not how it works, look at all the other successful film and movie properties that has flopped as a game.

When people think Avengers in 2020, they think MCU movie Avengers...this has none of those vibes. This game looks like your uncle with a beer belly and his friends showing up to a costume party in homemade Marvel gear. And every other property listed in this thread (EA Star Wars games this gen, Spider-Man) have looked INFINITELY BETTER at every step of the way than this game. And then, only a few characters to choose from?

We haven't seen one snippet of gameplay that doesn't either look like trash, or looks mediocre...or even worse for the casual audience people are mentioning, "What is this game exactly?" Like, that's how bad it looks, you have experienced gamers here that don't know what the hell this is.

Then you have Square Enix, who can't market ice to a penguin. This has bomba all over it...but remember, people also though Anthem wouldn't flop "because Bioware" and "people will eat up the opportunity to be a flying Iron Man!"
This is a major AAA blockbuster coming out in September backed by one of the biggest IP's of the generation across media.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
look at all the other successful film and movie properties that has flopped as a game.

How many of those have we had this generation? Most big IP branded games with production value sell nowadays. This isn't the PS2 generation where the brand is being slapped on everything and the market is overloaded.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Knowing Square-Enix it could very well fail to meet some over inflated internal projections, but it will sell 5-10 million easy.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could they have gone with more generic uninspired character models? Jesus Christ

Aug 10, 2019
They don't look bad actually

ss_53ec7321d0edea093f81afc50d4909df4134c050.1920x1080.jpg
That image is a prerender

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
This is a major AAA blockbuster coming out in September backed by one of the biggest IP's of the generation across media.
What big IP...this looks nothing like any IP I'm familiar with...If I put on a Captain America costume, people will mistake me for Chris Evans? That's not how it works...it looks like a cheap Avengers knock-off that you'd buy from Dollar General.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
I just wanna know what the gameplay loop is. Cause even looking at the achievements it just looks like a collectathon and get x kills on y. What are the missions like? Is there strike like content? Raid content? What makes this a GaaS title other than more missions/characters post launch? What's gonna keep me coming back? Cause I dont see this being more than a rental.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
What big IP...this looks nothing like any IP I'm familiar with...If I put on a Captain America costume, people will mistake me for Chris Evans? That's not how it works...it looks like a cheap Avengers knock-off that you'd buy from Dollar General.
You know for a fact any kid looking at this is gonna say "Avengers!" Come on, son.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
That definitely depends on quality but it absolutely should considering it's not exclusive. Last number we got on Spider-Man was 13.2 million IIRC. I could see it besting that if it's decent.
Agreed, it's bomb proof. But if it fails to top Spider-man's sales... Yeah that would be bad

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
also thank god sony has that spiderman IP wrapped up tight. we got an actual good marvel game. (and into the spiderverse)

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
How many of those have we had this generation? Most big IP branded games with production value sell nowadays. This isn't the PS2 generation where the brand is being slapped on everything and the market is overloaded.
Yes, just like most comic book movies sell well...didn't prevent Justice League from flopping because everyone could see from a mile away that it is trash. We've only had 3 "big IP games" I believe (the 2 Star Wars games, Spider-Man...and I'll throw in Batman even though I'm not sure when the last one of those released)...those all looked infinitely better than this game has in even its best form.

And to be clear, I think I speak for everyone saying this game will flop, we mean that this game will not break even for Square Enix. No way.

You know for a fact any kid looking at this is gonna say "Avengers!" Come on, son.
The same kids that are playing Fortnite for free? Isn't this the excuse people made when they were told that the latest Star Wars movie would be a box office disappointment?

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, just like most comic book movies sell well...didn't prevent Justice League from flopping because everyone could see from a mile away that it is trash. We've only had 3 "big IP games" I believe (the 2 Star Wars games, Spider-Man...and I'll throw in Batman even though I'm not sure when the last one of those released)...those all looked infinitely better than this game has in even its best form.
It's 3star wars games and damn that's some revision history cuz this very same community in bulk BULK said battlefront both 1&2 would bomb

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda glad all those costumes aren't appealing so I can watch this game from a distance.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed, it's bomb proof. But if it fails to top Spider-man's sales... Yeah that would be bad
No it wouldn't. If the game sold 10 million it would be a big success. If the game sold 5-9 million, it likely would still be a success. And I'm not even including any type of extra revenue generated by GaaS DLC and microtransactions. Obviously it's all dependent on the overall production and marketing budget of the game. Spider-Man was a massive success and the fact it was exclusive to one platform makes it all the more impressive.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It's 3star wars games and damn that's some revision history cuz this very same community in bulk BULK said battlefront both 1&2 would bomb
Revisionist history? I'm speaking for myself...I'm not speaking for any community. All of the EA Star Wars games have looked great before launch and has sold as much. Most of the people here that thought the Battlefront games would bomb was because of bitterness against GaaS, and comparisons against older Battlefront games which alot of people playing games now did not play.

Plus remember everyone...we've never seen Square Enix market ANYTHING well. Good luck overcoming that bad first impression that most of this thread sees.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Oct 24, 2019
With Cyberpunk coming September 17th, I think it's safe to say Batman will be in October. I wonder if the inverse will happen and Avengers sales will affect Batman. I can't see many people outside hardcore gamers having the money to buy two big AAA superhero GaaS games a month apart.

Since when is the Batman game a GaaS? I thought it was just the Rocksteady game that's GaaS....

That's fucking frightening

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
It'll sell fine off the Avengers name, but everything about this game looks meh. The only thing I like is that Kamala Khan is in the main cast.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
They really need better gameplay footage, besides some decent cap stuff the gameplay never got me excited to play this

None of the trailers are good
Maybe the Kamala was fine

Cap design is still shit

Matty H

Oct 31, 2017
It's Marvel, it's going to sell copies. I'll probably buy just to see for myself. Very interested how it will be received by critics and fans though. Also, will the story be good and will GAAS design hold up?

Status
Not open for further replies.