• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
2aFeYeb.gif

Release Date: October 26, 2021
Platforms:
PC, PS4, PS5, Switch (Cloud), Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S
Genre: Single Player Action-Adventure
Developer: Eidos-Montréal
Publisher: Square Enix
Price: $59.99 / $79.99 (deluxe edition)
Microtransactions: none

Opencritic: 82

8IsS2C6.png

UcNpDdD.gif

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy is created by the seasoned Eidos-Montréal team, working closely with Marvel Entertainment to provide an original and authentic experience inspired by over 50 years of Guardians of the Galaxy lore. Influenced by the comics, this unique spin on the Guardians of the Galaxy will take players on a riotous journey across the stars as Peter Quill and the Guardians unintentionally become the galaxy's first and last line of defense.

You are Star-Lord, and thanks to your bold yet questionable leadership, you have persuaded an oddball crew of unlikely heroes to join you. Some jerk (surely not you) has set off a chain of catastrophic events, and only you can hold the unpredictable Guardians together long enough to fight off total interplanetary meltdown. Use Element Blasters, tag-team beat downs, jet boot-powered dropkicks, nothing's off-limits. If you think it's all going to plan, you're in for a world of surprises, with the consequences of your actions guaranteed to keep the Guardians on their toes. In this original Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy story, you'll cross paths with powerful new beings and unique takes on iconic characters, all caught in a struggle for the galaxy's fate. It's time to show the universe what you're made of. You got this. Probably.

boicTPz.png

WCtNlT8.gif

PKS9dUy.png

05JHBLE.gif

2CvYtBx.png

q6hZgQC.gif

J9vSIk0.png

9k6tQxC.gif

AUmwsTc.png

Zj2MwnM.gif

UTowZDm.png

Zd1cstA.gif

4xRZCUO.png

1i5E0oF.png

E4R7iSl.gif
vfOq3x8.gif

• Explore worlds to find minigames, puzzles, crafting parts to upgrade your equipment to alternate outfits and Guardians collectibles.
  • Collectibles show up in the Milano, the Guardians' ship, and will not be simple cosmetics. Some of them will belong to specific team members, such as Gamora's figurines. Through those, you can talk to the specific Guardian about it and learn more about their past.
  • You have the freedom to explore the Milano, which acts as a base camp between missions. Walking about the ship, you can listen to the soundtrack on the jukebox and interact with the Hollywood roster of Guardians – Rocket, Groot, Drax and Gamora – while investigating their living quarters launches a series of backstories.
  • There will be space battles in the Milano throughout the game.
  • Deus Ex served as a major inspiration for the game's campaign, as player's decision will be impactful and lead to different outcomes. At various points of the game, the player can make key decisions, via dialogue trees, that will affect the relationships between the Guardians and the outcomes of certain missions. Although everything will head towards one pre-established ending, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy allows entire chapters or specific scenes to change depending on the decisions that the player makes.
  • Star-Lord's decisions will be referenced by his teammates and the player choices extend to the game's combat, with Star-Lord able to ask his fellow Guardians to use specific abilities from their movesets on command in battle.

phTzeu3.png

Kajhb3e.gif
9sALWOR.gif
  • Play as Peter Quill/ Star-Lord from a third-person perspective.
  • Utilize Star-Lord's elemental guns with four different ammo types (lightning, ice, wind, and fire) and pair them with fast melee attacks to quickly build up enemy stagger bars which when full allows you to activate team takedown attacks.
  • Star-Lord has signature abilities, which can be periodically used by pushing in the left analog stick and selecting the move you'd like to perform with the face buttons. These abilities include Fan the Hammer, which lets you rain a torrent of high-speed bullets in a straight line that melt anyone in your path, Eye of the Hurricane, which launches you into the air before unleashing a spiral of grenades that have a wide area of effect and deal heavy stagger damage.
  • Further signature abilities can be unlocked using skill points that you'll earn as you level up.
  • Other members of the team, which include Gamora, Rocket Raccoon, Groot, and Drax the Destroyer, are not directly playable but players can issue commands to them during combat.
  • Each character has their own unique skills and unlockable abilities which can be chained together to inflict more damage.
  • As the player combat enemies, a momentum meter will build up and allow players to unleash a special ability known as "Team Huddle", which prompts Star-Lord to create a motivational speech and play a song to inspire his teammates. A good speech will revive downed teammates and grant Star-Lord and the other Guardians gameplay benefits.

qZv6TBB.png

J7viI7Z.gif

ALL-STAR '80S SOUNDTRACK
When the Guardians have their backs to the wall, there's nothing more likely to make them come out swinging than a sweet mixtape of Star-Lord's '80s favorites. Rock out to stone cold classics from his teenage years including Mötley Crüe, KISS, New Kids On The Block, Rick Astley and more. Raise the roof with Peter Quill's favorite rock band, Star-Lord, and their legendary album Space Rider.

You'll get to listen to these incredible tracks as you progress through the game, as well as on the jukebox that's on the Milano. Some of them will also play a key role during the Huddle, a key gameplay mechanic in combat. You will have the opportunity to choose between two bangers on Star-Lord's cassette player to try and motivate the Guardians and overwhelm your enemies. They won't know what hit them.
All songs on the playlist will be featured in the game itself, with an optional toggle for players who wish to mute and replace them with stream-safe alternatives as needed.

xNMzLiN.png

avTCR2O.gif

There are over 40 unlockable cosmetic outfits/skins inspired by everything from the movies to the comics. They can be found by exploring the worlds you'll come across in the galaxy. Pre-order outfits are early unlocks.

Rab8NN6.png

Does the game have multiplayer?
No. The team decided against adding multiplayer modes, as they felt that the Guardians are a group of colorful personalities, and by positioning Star-Lord at the heart of most social interactions, the player can better experience the dynamics of the team by having these unpredictable characters react to the Star-Lord's choice. While Star-Lord is the team's leader, other characters may disagree with his decision and make choices on their own, and the player will also need to react to their decisions. The team believed that this can further highlight the rest of the Guardians' personality and character. The system was inspired by real-world team work where people must work, negotiate and bargain with each other. Deus Ex served as a major inspiration for the game's campaign, as player's decision will be impactful and lead to different outcomes.

Are there multiple endings?
No, although choice is a big factor in Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy that affects everything from fighting to character interactions to story outcomes. "The main story is going to be the same for everyone," Dugas affirms. "We have this crazy, wild ride that will lead to this epic finale, but how that story is being experienced and told will be tailored to the choices you go through in the game. So, there will be a variety of consequences, sometimes they will be on a small scale, sometimes more on the medium scale, and some will be on the much bigger scale."

Are there any PC-specific enhancements?
Yes. Co-developed with partner studio d3t Ltd, the PC version of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy allows players to experience high levels of fidelity, real-time ray tracing, NVIDIA DLSS' AI-powered performance boost, diffuse illumination, HDR and wide color gamut, and up to 8K resolution.

Are there any PS5/Xbox Series upgrades?
Yes. On both PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X, the game will have a 4K/30FPS mode on next-gen consoles as well as a 60FPS mode (final resolution count tbd). The team is "also bringing ray-tracing to next-gen consoles, which might either be at launch or very close to if not."
Is there a Photomode?
Yes.

Are last-gen console versions to next-gen upgrades free?
Yes. Xbox gets all platform versions via smart delivery. If you buy the game digitally on PS4, the PS5 digital version is already included. If you buy a physical PS4 version of the game, you will have an option to upgrade to PS5 on your console. You'll also need the PS4 disc to play the PS5 version.​

Are there micro transactions?
No. "There isn't going to be any DLC for this game. There isn't going to be any micro transactions," DeMarle says. "And that's because, for us, it's very important that on Day 1, when players get this game, they can have access to everything there is. So, right off the bat, they can get all of the costumes that are available, they can find all the abilities as they progress through the game. It's all there."

PC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 1400 / Intel® Core™ i5-4460
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 / AMD Radeon™ RX 570
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 80 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 5 1600 / Intel® Core™ i7-4790
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Super / AMD Radeon™ RX 590
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 80 GB available space

In-game Settings & Accessibility options
Controls (Gamepad)
· Guardians Mode Input Type - Hold/Press
· Star-Lord's Abilities Input Type - Hold/Press
· Vibration – On/Off
· Invert X/Y Axis (Default + Spaceship) – On/Off
· Invert Stick (Spaceship) – On/Off
· X/Y Axis Sensitivity – Sliders

Mouse and Keyboard
· Key Bindings
· Double Press Directional Keys to Dash – On/Off
· Invert Mouse X/Y (Default + Spaceship) – On/Off
· Mouse X/Y Sensitivity – Slider

Audio
· Volume Adjustments (Master, Sound Effects, Voice, Music) – Sliders
· Licensed Audio– On/Off. This option removes all copyrighted musical contents and replaces it with alternatives in some instances.
· Customizable Speaker Configuration – allows players to select the best-suited profile of audio configuration for their needs.
· Mono Speaker Configuration – allows players to have all audio directed towards a single channel.
· Loud Volume– Slider. Adjust the highest playback level of the loudest sounds to help minimize sudden peaks in soundscape.
· EQ Presets – This feature aims to support players that desire to adjust specific frequencies. For example, players that suffer from tinnitus or that are sensitive to specific sounds can lower the presence of these problematic frequencies by selecting a fitting profile.
· Focus Mix – On/Off. Allows players to experience the game with a stronger emphasis placed on the narrative and gameplay related elements of the soundscape.

Languages
· Subtitles – On/Off
· Overheard Subtitles – On/Off
· Closed Captions – On/Off
· Show Character Name – On/Off
· Subtitle Size – Very Small to Very Large
· Letter Spacing – Slider
· Force Bold Text – On/Off
· Enable Background – On/Off
· Invert Background Color – On/Off
· Background Opacity – Slider

Difficulty Settings
On top of the usual presets, we've made it possible for players to independently adjust many sub-options for difficulty.
Easy – You got this
Intended – You got this, probably
Hard – You don't got this
Custom – I do it my way
Sub-categories of difficulty settings
· Guardians Mode Slowdown – Slider. This value represents how much time is slowed down when you are in Guardians mode. The higher the value, the greater the slow down. 1 represents a complete pause, while 0 is no slow down at all.
· Damage Dealt – Very Low to Very High. The higher this setting, the more damage Star-Lord deals to enemies.
· Guardians Cooldown Duration – Slider. This multiplier affects the cooldown on each Guardian's abilities. Increasing this value will give more weight to your decisions and demand more planning on your part.
· Huddle Auto-Win – On/Off. If this setting is turned on, you will not be presented with a choice wheel during the Huddle sequences, and the correct answer will be automatically selected.
· Cost of Elemental Shots – Slider. This multiplier affects how much Elemental Ammo an Elemental Shot costs. Increasing this value will make your Elemental Shots more valuable and require more planning on your part.
· Damage Received – Very Low to Very High. The higher this setting, the more damage Star-Lord and the Guardians receive from enemies.
· Shield Regeneration – Very Low to Very High. This setting determines how long after taking damage Star-Lord's shield will begin to regenerate, as well as the rate of regeneration, and the extent of damage taken, while the shield is depleted.
· Death Event Timer – Easy to Hardcore. The amount of time an ally is in danger before they become overwhelmed.
· Vulnerability Timer – Slider. The length of time that an enemy retains the vulnerabilities applied by abilities.
· Death Gate – Very Easy to Very Hard. The number of times a player needs to be hit before dying after reaching 0 HP, as well as the length of time a player is in danger before they recover.
· Objects Outline – On/Off. If this setting is turned Off, the white outline around objects interactable by the Guardians is turned off. More observation will be required, and a regular use of your visor to identify opportunities for interactions.
· Compass System – On/Off. If this setting is turned off, the Compass system normally shown in the visor will be disabled. Less indications on your next destination will require more exploration.
· Hints System – Instant to None. The Hints system delivers hints when it detects you have been stuck on a step for too long. The lower the setting, the more rapidly hints will be delivered. The system can also be turned off entirely.

Accessibility Menu
Target Lock Options
· Disable Target Lock Break – On/Off
· Target Lock Break Delay – Slider
· Aiming Lock Break Stick Deadzone – Slider
· Enable Lock Target Switching – On/Off
· Elemental Lock Situation – Always to Never
· Initial Target Lock Range – Slider
· Automatic Target Lock range – On/Off
· Auto Lock on Next Target – On/Off
Target Switching Options
· Target Switching Initial Delay – Slider
· Target Switching Repeat Delay – Slider
· Target Switching Stick Deadzone – Slider
Other Options
· Auto-Win Quick Time Events – On/Off
· Objective Log Display Timer – Slider
· Exploration Dot – On/Off
· Exploration Dot Transparency – Slider
We're working on a few more features that we are looking to add post-launch. Stay tuned for details, and as always, we welcome your feedback at [email protected].

Standard Edition

Cosmic Deluxe Edition

Walmart & Game.co.uk Pre-orders Gets Exclusive Steelbook

Last edited:

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, amazing OT for real

Looking forward to it and reviews

Oct 29, 2017
Fantastic OT, great work!

Looking at the listing on PSN, it seems the deluxe edition's costumes are just early unlocks, right? Glad to see that approach, will probably buy the standard edition.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Had this pre-ordered on Steam for a while. Can't wait for Tuesday!

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
great OT!!

I have the game coming next week and plan on playing as soon as I get it. Might watch the two movies first this weekend. I preordered the cosmic deluxe superegg or whatever edition, honestly only because I had a $70 amazon coupon that was expiring soon and there was nothing else I could think of I wanted. The Walmart steelbook looks really neat but not enough to pay another $60 for.

For anyone who is a fan of the IP, I'm really enjoying playing the 2017 Telltale game of the same name. Its delisted everywhere but I picked up a physical copy at best buy for $20

While SE 2020 Avengers had its faults, I still platinum'd the game and more or less enjoyed myself (but never touched it after), am genuinely curious how this game will compare.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
The game is actually giving me Mass Effect vibes of all things, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I trust the team that made it.

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We've come a long ass way from what was usually a comic book game, man. "Deus Ex was a major inspiration" like, whew son. Can't imagine being antagonistic towards the team, I'm here to play ball, baby!

That is just an evil smirk inducing OT title, great shit.

Got the cosmic thing edition + comic style steelbook on the way. Very hyped for this and I hope there are some cool surprises in the story. I'm not even a GotG fan!

tucah

Oct 25, 2017
Interested pending reviews but still gonna wait a month, this screams something that will be $40 or less on Black Friday.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Great job with the OP, benzy. I'm just waiting for the reviews to see how the game pans out, but I'm more optimistic about this than I was for Avengers (which I still argue should've just been separate Ms. Marvel & Black Panther games).

Also, I'm sad to see that Rocket lacks any variant of his blue-&-red outfit. I don't think the absence of one costume is really a spoiler, but I'll tag the image as one just in case any of the available ones are.
Screen_Shot_2021-10-23_at_11.22.38_AM.png
At least go with the Endgame version if you want the goggles. Either way, they have 3 options.

latest
dd6bbmu-ee498128-2250-4bca-b44c-95fe449cdea9.png
Screen_Shot_2021-10-23_at_11.15.20_AM.png

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
just seen drax playing the GoW 3 ending minigame in the OP there, someone tell him it's OK stop pressing O

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
It honestly looks like a fun game brought down by the amount of marketing, similar to Deathloop. Crazy how soon it comes out actually.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
It honestly looks like a fun game brought down by the amount of marketing, similar to Deathloop. Crazy how soon it comes out actually.
In Deathloop's case, it's a legit GotY contender. I'm not expecting GotG to reach those highs, but I feel like it'll at least be a solid game.

Yakumo Fuji

Apr 22, 2019
I'm not sure if I hate you or love you for tricking me in the OP. >__<

But yeah, definitely going to need reviews for this.

mightynine

Oct 25, 2017
When I get on the review thread link, I get a redirect that sends me to a YouTube link. FYI

EDIT: Nevermind, but possibly not the best joke considering the unknowns of how new ownership will handle ads in the future.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm going to throw the MCU outfits on all the characters and then just sit back and enjoy. Excited for a fun little single-player game before the crazy few months of big game releases and such.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Probably going to pre-load this before Tuesday as I want to support single player, non-dlc gaming options. Not huge on the franchise, but looks good enough. Also the RTX implementation seems to be pretty nice as well.

Fingers crossed!

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for reviews, but honestly, it won't take much convincing to get me to buy this. I really want this to be good, loved the Guardians since the DnA comics.

And, as others have said, more single-player games with limited DLC are honestly welcome (and I say that as someone who enjoys a lot of online stuff as well).

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT! I've definitely done a 180 on this game once we got more gameplay of it. Love GOTG so I think I'm going to just pick this one up on day one. Seems like a good time.

original.gif

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Game looks surprisingly really good. Still wanna wait for reviews however

Gala

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in chapter 7 right now and having a really good time. PS5 version is solid and only had a couple of slowdowns in performance mode. Lots of fun and charming dialogues and character moments so far. And I enjoy the busy and fast combat a lot.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't planning on buy anything the rest of the year other than Pokémon and SMTV, but this has peaked my interest and may be a day 1 if reviews are good.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Great OT! Do we have any idea how big this game is going to be? There are so many games vying for my money right now that I might wait for a price reduction before I jump in depending how much there is to do

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing OT. Im still waiting for a few more impressions but i think im gonna buy it on PS5. Probably sticking with the quality mode if its locked 30. Looks so crisp and the combat is lock on and slow downs anyways so it wont bother me

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Eidos as a dev has a certain trust factor from my side due to Deus Ex so I am very optimistic.

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Very excited for this! PC version looks awesome and I can't wait to explore these environments. Reminds me of Mass Effect and I trust the game to be good since I loved their Deus Ex games.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
The few early impressions I have seen so far look like this will be decent enough but nothing stellar.

Personally expecting 7's and 8's but would be happy for it to be even more positive than that.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this. Currently playing the avengers campaign on gamepass and having a ton of fun. I will jump on this next!