• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
jstevenson Could you please patch the ability to either reduce or remove the pseudo loading animation when using fast travel?

Many people think the actual loading is hidden during that time. I understand why it's there but it's always good to have options and besides we can easily go back to where we were even after a button press mistake on the map.

View: https://twitter.com/Okami13_/status/1713935229709086942

Is this a serious post? The transition is so quick at this point it doesn't even matter.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Feel free to correct me if wrong, but this is the first time a big AAA superhero game has cracked 90 on metacritic since the PS3 days with Arkham City. And since then we have had a significant rise in the amount of those games releasing but this is the highest rated superhero game since then. Just shows how impressive the reviews are!

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
I still need to finish the Miles game before I start this one, but I'm excited that it turned out as well as expected.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
When The Last of Us Part I released earlier this year, it was critically panned, and had a sub-60 score on Metacritic. The game was missing a lot of the special Naughty Dog magic. A Jason Schreier exposé revealed a tumultuous and disastrous development cycle that led to a significant amount of Visual Arts Service Group staff leaving because of how Playstation leadership assigned the remake they had started working on to prove themselves to Naughty Dog instead.

And through all that, Playstation leadership rightfully took flak for The last of Us Part I's failures. Leadership should have intervened earlier in the game's development, to help Visual Arts Service Group and Naughty Dog steer the game towards a more positive path.

In a few days, through Playstation's keen stewardship, they will be releasing another game under the Playstation studios banner: Marvel's Spider-Man 2 by Insomniac Games. And the word around the grapevine is that for all intents and purposes, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 has benefited from an entire year of QA testing and polish, backed behind the full might of Playstation's resources. Today, we see something very special happen: Sony joining the likes of From Software and Nintendo in having a generation-defining, 90+ metacritic masterpiece that dominates the zeitgeist.

The reviews are out so we know for sure it happened, and I think Playstation leadership deserves credit for it, every bit as much as they deserved flak for The Last of Us Part I's shortcomings.
Having never seen the original, it's clear what subject matter of this parody is about.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
When The Last of Us Part I released earlier this year, it was critically panned, and had a sub-60 score on Metacritic. The game was missing a lot of the special Naughty Dog magic. A Jason Schreier exposé revealed a tumultuous and disastrous development cycle that led to a significant amount of Visual Arts Service Group staff leaving because of how Playstation leadership assigned the remake they had started working on to prove themselves to Naughty Dog instead.

And through all that, Playstation leadership rightfully took flak for The last of Us Part I's failures. Leadership should have intervened earlier in the game's development, to help Visual Arts Service Group and Naughty Dog steer the game towards a more positive path.

In a few days, through Playstation's keen stewardship, they will be releasing another game under the Playstation studios banner: Marvel's Spider-Man 2 by Insomniac Games. And the word around the grapevine is that for all intents and purposes, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 has benefited from an entire year of QA testing and polish, backed behind the full might of Playstation's resources. Today, we see something very special happen: Sony joining the likes of From Software and Nintendo in having a generation-defining, 90+ metacritic masterpiece that dominates the zeitgeist.

The reviews are out so we know for sure it happened, and I think Playstation leadership deserves credit for it, every bit as much as they deserved flak for The Last of Us Part I's shortcomings.

Starfield is the most boring game I played this year but bless it for giving us this thread, I'm forever grateful.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
So you get why they weren't fine then in the first game :P
People usually point to the reason being that no one wants to play as MJ and that you buy a Spider-Man game to play as nothing but Spidey, which I get but don't totally agree with. His supporting cast is every bit as important. One element sucking doesn't make the entire segment not worth it IMO.

I actually wish there was more of this with just Peter and Milles out of suit though but that's just me. Some of my favorite parts of SM1 and MM were walking parts with stories being told during them. But let me not get my hashtag gaming cred revoked because I am saying good things about walking sections.

;)

Celentano

Aug 17, 2023

lol

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017

😂

That thread was seriously cringeworthy.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
jstevenson Could you please patch the ability to either reduce or remove the pseudo loading animation when using fast travel?

Many people think the actual loading is hidden during that time. I understand why it's there but it's always good to have options and besides we can easily go back to where we were even after a button press mistake on the map.

jstevenson Can the team make the hold to confirm prompt longer please?

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Sounds good! The story seems to be what really pushes this game to the next level, also sounds like side stories are really well done. But I'm bummed that it seems to be mostly the same gameplay with some tweaks. Spider-Man had a lot to go to reach the gameplay heights of the Arkham games.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really follow these games at all and am not into open-world titles, but is upper Manhattan actually represented? Washington Heights, Inwood, etc.?

Kami

Jul 13, 2020

Absolutely wild that people are trying to downplay it like this.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Can we get a patch where after you hold down the button to fast travel you must then input a 10 button command? That's the real thing missing there.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
My GotY predictions are looking real nice right now...

0TSdgx.jpg
SF6 should make it but it'll get snubbed.
Folks will take Alan Wake 2 over RE4 as the horror game cuz it'll be brand new.

Everything else is probably locked.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Dat 91. It looks like an all round improvement. The things that stick out to me the most is the traversal improvements and side content.

Nov 14, 2017
People usually point to the reason being that no one wants to play as MJ and that you buy a Spider-Man game to play as nothing but Spidey, which I get but don't totally agree with. His supporting cast is every bit as important. One element sucking doesn't make the entire segment not worth it IMO.

I actually wish there was more of this with just Peter and Milles out of suit though but that's just me. Some of my favorite parts of SM1 and MM were walking parts with stories being told during them. But let me not get my hashtag gaming cred revoked because I am saying good things about walking sections.

;)
I want to see more segments like the one in the DLC where Peter tails some maggia guys on foot and then slips into an alley so he won't be seen climbing and zipping around. Then he gets the evidence he needs and changes into his suit for a combat segment.

Jul 15, 2022
There's a perfect example of why the web wings are necessary in this expanded world in the opening.

Yup

I just don't get it. If I wanted to cross a river, I'd find a bridge and swing under it. Being able to clear most of the city by gliding through rings and catching updrafts just isn't part of the Spider-Man fantasy for me.

I know, "You control the buttons you press" and whatever, but making web-slinging a subpar traversal option in a Spider-Man game just seems weird to me.

My opinion could change once I actually get my hands on it, who knows.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I just don't get it. If I wanted to cross a river, I'd find a bridge and swing under it. Being able to clear most of the city by gliding through rings and catching updrafts just isn't part of the Spider-Man fantasy for me.

I know, "You control the buttons you press" and whatever, but making web-slinging a subpar traversal option in a Spider-Man game just seems weird to me.

My opinion could change once I actually get my hands on it, who knows.
Why would you want to have a single choke point every time you wanted to cross.

Jun 2, 2019
And here is yet another GOTY contender!

Not that I doubted it would be good, but I didn't expect it to finally break the 90 barrier. Now we are just missing Mario Wonder and Alan Wake 2 reviews. Will any of them be able to break the 90 barrier too?

On a side note, I wish they would make a Gwen game next...

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017

What? Part 1 has great reviews. The Part 1 port had some issues which lead reviewers on PC to rightly call them out, but that doesn't mean the game was critically panned overall.

Given that Spiderman 2 is not releasing on PC anytime soon I don't see how any of this bears much relevance on the reception of Spiderman 2. But if it were relevant, we'd be looking at the Spiderman 1 port, which was very well received on PC.

Griffy

Oct 25, 2017
I for one would like a new costume patched in based on the subway fast travel screens from the original. Give Peter and Miles a full subway car surrounding them at all times so those of us who miss the fast travel loading screen can enjoy it for the entire duration of the game.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
damn, I set myself up for this. Told myself I wouldn't buy this game day 1 unless it had a 90+ aggregate, fully thinking it would peak at 88/89. Well, it's fine, I'll just juggle this with Mario Wonder.