• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations to Insomniac Games . 91MC is higher than most of what we thought it would reach, and in this day and age is a great achievement.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I just don't get it. If I wanted to cross a river, I'd find a bridge and swing under it. Being able to clear most of the city by gliding through rings and catching updrafts just isn't part of the Spider-Man fantasy for me.

I know, "You control the buttons you press" and whatever, but making web-slinging a subpar traversal option in a Spider-Man game just seems weird to me.

My opinion could change once I actually get my hands on it, who knows.
But you can see in the footage no one is just flying instead of swinging, it's about using both in conjunction with each other. Web slinging is even faster than the last game so it's not like they "made it subpar".

Jul 18, 2020
My GotY predictions are looking real nice right now...

0TSdgx.jpg

Don't forget the Doritos Pope likes to have an indie in there, so Cocoon or Dave the Diver could take one spot.

Oct 27, 2017
Wild how there was ever any doubt this game would come out to critical success. The commercial success is a given, but people weirdly started to convince themselves this game wouldn't stack up after that summer presentation, even though the game looked good. Era is one of the most FUD-prone communities in the web.

Midnight

Jan 5, 2018
Never had any doubts Insomniac would release another banger of a game. Damn excited for this, love the previous games so much.

Not watching any review videos, Friday can't come soon enough.

Oct 27, 2017
What? Part 1 has great reviews. The Part 1 port had some issues which lead reviewers on PC to rightly call them out, but that doesn't mean the game was critically panned overall.

Given that Spiderman 2 is not releasing on PC anytime soon I don't see how any of this bears much relevance on the reception of Spiderman 2. But if it were relevant, we'd be looking at the Spiderman 1 port, which was very well received on PC.
That post is a joke referencing a Starfield thread, replace the PlayStation games with Microsoft games and you'll get the original thread.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm getting hyped. But 80 EUR for a game is too much for me. Will get it later for sure.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Insomniac is just on fire this gen… I feel like where the hell is everyone else? Just incredible output. …I hope they're all feeling ok over there.

Jul 15, 2022
But you can see in the footage no one is just flying instead of swinging, it's about using both in conjunction with each other. Web slinging is even faster than the last game so it's not like they "made it subpar".

The clips I've seen made it look like you could basically cross the city only needing to use your webs a few times, but I might have been looking at unrepresentative gameplay.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
jstevenson Could you please patch the ability to either reduce or remove the pseudo loading animation when using fast travel?

Many people think the actual loading is hidden during that time. I understand why it's there but it's always good to have options and besides we can easily go back to where we were even after a button press mistake on the map.

View: https://twitter.com/Okami13_/status/1713935229709086942

Did you really just tag a game developer to ask them to patch out a 1-second confirmation window for fast travel?

But they are. A good deal of people are implying the loading is actually done during those 3-5 seconds: "smart way to hide the 4sec loadings" and such.

I am honestly trying to understand how you could watch that bar fill up and think 5 seconds had passed.

Last edited:

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
When The Last of Us Part I released earlier this year, it was critically panned, and had a sub-60 score on Metacritic. The game was missing a lot of the special Naughty Dog magic. A Jason Schreier exposé revealed a tumultuous and disastrous development cycle that led to a significant amount of Visual Arts Service Group staff leaving because of how Playstation leadership assigned the remake they had started working on to prove themselves to Naughty Dog instead.

And through all that, Playstation leadership rightfully took flak for The last of Us Part I's failures. Leadership should have intervened earlier in the game's development, to help Visual Arts Service Group and Naughty Dog steer the game towards a more positive path.

In a few days, through Playstation's keen stewardship, they will be releasing another game under the Playstation studios banner: Marvel's Spider-Man 2 by Insomniac Games. And the word around the grapevine is that for all intents and purposes, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 has benefited from an entire year of QA testing and polish, backed behind the full might of Playstation's resources. Today, we see something very special happen: Sony joining the likes of From Software and Nintendo in having a generation-defining, 90+ metacritic masterpiece that dominates the zeitgeist.

The reviews are out so we know for sure it happened, and I think Playstation leadership deserves credit for it, every bit as much as they deserved flak for The Last of Us Part I's shortcomings.
Lmao

B-Komachi

Alt account
Banned
Sep 25, 2023
The six GOTY nominees:

• Redfall
  • Everybody 1-2 Switch
  • The Last of Us Part I (PC)
  • The Lord of the Rings: Gollum
  • Madden NFL 24
  • Exoprimal

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
2023 continues to impress. I don't think we'll see a year with so many high-quality titles anytime soon. 91 is a really high-score.

When The Last of Us Part I released earlier this year, it was critically panned, and had a sub-60 score on Metacritic. The game was missing a lot of the special Naughty Dog magic. A Jason Schreier exposé revealed a tumultuous and disastrous development cycle that led to a significant amount of Visual Arts Service Group staff leaving because of how Playstation leadership assigned the remake they had started working on to prove themselves to Naughty Dog instead.

And through all that, Playstation leadership rightfully took flak for The last of Us Part I's failures. Leadership should have intervened earlier in the game's development, to help Visual Arts Service Group and Naughty Dog steer the game towards a more positive path.

In a few days, through Playstation's keen stewardship, they will be releasing another game under the Playstation studios banner: Marvel's Spider-Man 2 by Insomniac Games. And the word around the grapevine is that for all intents and purposes, Marvel's Spider-Man 2 has benefited from an entire year of QA testing and polish, backed behind the full might of Playstation's resources. Today, we see something very special happen: Sony joining the likes of From Software and Nintendo in having a generation-defining, 90+ metacritic masterpiece that dominates the zeitgeist.

The reviews are out so we know for sure it happened, and I think Playstation leadership deserves credit for it, every bit as much as they deserved flak for The Last of Us Part I's shortcomings.

I love this parody post so much.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People usually point to the reason being that no one wants to play as MJ and that you buy a Spider-Man game to play as nothing but Spidey, which I get but don't totally agree with. His supporting cast is every bit as important. One element sucking doesn't make the entire segment not worth it IMO.

I actually wish there was more of this with just Peter and Milles out of suit though but that's just me. Some of my favorite parts of SM1 and MM were walking parts with stories being told during them. But let me not get my hashtag gaming cred revoked because I am saying good things about walking sections.

;)

I mean me personally I definitely don't need playable MJ, all of that in the first game could've been a cutscene(s)

I'll keep an open mind since at least it isn't auto fail apparently, but I'm not exactly looking forward to it

I still can't believe that was a thread

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Still got a giant backlog but im hoping to enjoy this even though the marketing hasn't connected with me at all. Reviews are what I expected.

Insomniac is Playstations best dev.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
jstevenson Could you please patch the ability to either reduce or remove the pseudo loading animation when using fast travel?

Many people think the actual loading is hidden during that time. I understand why it's there but it's always good to have options and besides we can easily go back to where we were even after a button press mistake on the map.

Is this for real? It loads in like 2 seconds, are people really complaining about that?

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto

B-Komachi

Alt account
Banned
Sep 25, 2023
Exoprimal is actually awesome though.
I can't think of a sixth shitty game

Bravo

fitzymj

Core Technology at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Who cares? 3 to 5 second loads are amazing.

That's a hold-to-confirm prompt, not hiding a load. If anyone wants to check, they can look at how late it's possible to cancel it out when they're playing.

Last month I brought up whether we should remove the hold-to-confirm, mostly to address that accusation we were seeing. But it was correctly pointed out to me that having a confirmation window was important for player usability, which at the end of the day is far more important than Internet cred points (even though we love our Internet cred points). :)

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018

They should make it a QTE where you have to mash the x button to fill up the bar, would really help me feel like spider-man while I'm fast-travelling
That's a hold-to-confirm prompt, not hiding a load. If anyone wants to check, they can look at how late it's possible to cancel it out when they're playing.

Last month I brought up whether we should remove the hold-to-confirm, mostly to address that accusation we were seeing. But it was correctly pointed out to me that having a confirmation window was important for player usability, which at the end of the day is far more important than Internet cred points (even though we love our Internet cred points). :)
Congrats on the release!

JAY_HORROR

Sep 27, 2021

Excellent to know

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

I totally agree with why you all did it, and I figured as much. It would be jarring as hell you hit the button and go and you didnt mean to. It's good you all made a clever way to "Are you sure you want to do this" but being a press and hold. Also bravo I am so hyped what you all have brought to the table and setting a crazy bar. Can't wait to see how you all roll all this into wolverine next.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Oh I wasn't super clear. In my other posts I said I don't think its to hide loading but meant even if it was there to mask loading that 3 to 5 second loads would be a crazy upgrade to past generations.

Big congrats on the amazing game!

hsojlightfoot

Apr 6, 2020
Don't wanna read too many reviews in fear of spoilers but did any of them say if the side content/quests is better than the first game?

Makeno

Dec 4, 2018
Great that a dev came to clarify about the loading. Insane that it was necessary but now we can put that to bed and never speak on it again.

Can't wait to play this BTW, have zero monies atm but will pick up next month as soon as I get paid :)

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Read a bunch of reviews that mention Venom is underwhelming in this. Kraven seems to be the more interesting villain

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Great that a dev came to clarify about the loading. Insane that it was necessary but now we can put that to bed and never speak on it again.

Can't wait to play this BTW, have zero monies atm but will pick up next month as soon as I get paid :)
I'm sure people are gonna cry bullshit but it's hialrious at this point. The speed is what it is, and if anyone was actually paying attention To all the stuff they have been doing since miles to now you would know its not bullshit what they are putting out there or masking stuff. lol. Great future for games where we really dont have load screens anymore.