• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This cannot be a free upgrade? I honestly expected a lot more for being a standalone

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Plenty of other devs are releasing free upgrades. I honestly don't see your point. I'm not calling you foolish or anything of that nature. Difference of opinion. I concede that.
Stop begging for free shit. There are reasons why some do it, it's not a standard thing. You can chose to not support it or whatever but saying X should be free is stupid and minimizing peoples work. I don't go where you work and tell you arbitrarily just give me free labor.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
Outside of the new character model is that hard-work being shown off in this footage of the game's 60fps performance mode?

are you ignoring the following below for funsies or just thinking that it's not hard work?

- Updated city's environments
- Improved models and materials
- Ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows
- New skies and weather effects
- Upgraded Characters (higher fidelity skin, eye, and teeth shaders to individually-rendered strands of hair – Also uses a new facial capture tech)
- 60fps Performance Mode
- Near-instant loading (you can turn back on the fast-travel animations)
- Spatial 3D Audio on compatible headphones
- Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers support
- New photomode features (you can now place lights in the environment and change your suit after you've lined up your shot)
- New suits
- New trophy list

P.S: one day of gamedev is hard work on itself lol, imagine one year remastering a game on this scale.

Plenty of other devs are releasing free upgrades. I honestly don't see your point. I'm not calling you foolish or anything of that nature. Difference of opinion. I concede that.

same, not attacking you or anything. but upgrades on this level? i don't remember a single one. the free upgrades are Gears 5 which is nowhere near this and other third party games like Cyberpunk and Ubisoft games that we don't know the nature of "upgrades" yet.

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland
35% increase? What? 1600p is slightly more than half of 4k so it's almost a 100% increase in resolution from 1600p to 2160p.

Sorry, early morning brain fart. Yeah it's more like an 80% increase in resolution. I still think that it should be pretty doable for it to do 60FPS and sit very close to full 4K in the majority of scenarios given the hardware leap we are seeing from PS4 Pro to PS5.

Plum

May 31, 2018
You want a new game?

This is akin to the work Bluepoint did for UC 1-3 or Naughty Dog for TLOU Re... It's 20 bucks...

Those came out ages ago; times have changed and we now have objective comparisons in terms of value. The Witcher 3, for instance, is putting out a higher frame-rate mode with ray-tracing and improved graphics entirely for free next year; why, then, do we have to pay £20 for Spider-Man at 60fps with barely any graphical upgrades?

That and those games were originally on PS3 which was notorious for having a different architecture to other consoles; porting them would have been nowhere near as simple as porting a PS4-native game to PS5 is right now.

They're should've shown the 30fps raytraced version, for sure.

I agree, yeah. £20 for a Remaster on the level of those screenshots they put out is a fair price in my eyes.

As I said on the previous page the worst part about this Remaster is that they've locked any sort of 60fps mode to it. You can't just play the original game (with your original saves) at 60fps if you wanted to and play this Remaster if you wanted all the fancy graphics. Instead you have to pay up and lose your save games all whilst not even getting to experience the fancy graphics.

are you ignoring the following below for funsies or just thinking that it's not hard work?

- Updated city's environments
- Improved models and materials
- Ray-traced reflections and ambient shadows
- New skies and weather effects
- Upgraded Characters (higher fidelity skin, eye, and teeth shaders to individually-rendered strands of hair – Also uses a new facial capture tech)
- 60fps Performance Mode
- Near-instant loading (you can turn back on the fast-travel animations)
- Spatial 3D Audio on compatible headphones
- Haptic feedback and adaptive triggers support
- New photomode features (you can now place lights in the environment and change your suit after you've lined up your shot)
- New suits
- New trophy list

P.S: one day of gamedev is hard work on itself lol, imagine one year remastering a game on this scale.

Half of those won't be in the 60fps performance mode that everyone is referring to. The other half are the kinds of things other developers are putting out for free (even Insomniac themselves with the free suits they added to the original game).

I completely agree that the 30fps Remastered mode is fine to be a paid addition. However, it's the fact that they're not giving us the 60fps performance mode for free that is the issue here. Hell, even a 60fps patch for the completely unaltered original game would be much better than this.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You want a new game?

This is akin to the work Bluepoint did for UC 1-3 or Naughty Dog for TLOU Re... It's 20 bucks...

The big difference is Spider-Man is still a relatively modern game, UC3 was 4 years old already when UC collection was released

so for a modern game, these are not upgrades worth paying for

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Like, honestly, who wanted this before they announced it? I don't see that much of a major improvement at all, in fact, Hitman 1 & 2 running in back compat boost mode on the Xbox Series X look like a bigger upgrade than this, it essentially runs 4K60 locked (occasional dips but not much).

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say.. all I wanted was for Sony to release a quick, easy patch to set a 60FPS target with a dynamic 4K resolution on their PS4 titles, so that they'd run close to locked 4K60 on the PS5. I don't want anything more than a resolution and framerate bump to my older PS4 titles, but as we can see, they seem to be going down the double dipping route.

Isn't tha part of the boost Mode?

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see why this couldn't be a free upgrade for ps4 owners. I loved this game but I can't justify it at launch. Will wait when it's on sale.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Let's pay 70$ for something that you won't play in months probably? I don't get these comments. That same Miles Moralse will be on sale few months from now and people who don't intend to play it in months should pay full price now just to get something Remaster?
Why wouldn't you play it for months? Just don't buy it until you're going to play it? It's a video game, it really doesn't need to be a complicated thing.

Plum

May 31, 2018

We don't know yet because Sony isn't really saying anything about what the PS5's Boost Mode actually gives you. I wouldn't hold out hope that Boost Mode brings the original game to 60fps, though; the game is capped at 30 and I doubt Sony would want to devalue the Remaster by giving you a big selling point for free with the BC version.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
So, 20€ on top of a 60€ game to play a port of a PS4 game that probably could be available through the PS Plus Collection offer otherwise.

The kicker is that Miles Morales is 59,99€ and Uncharted Lost Legacy was 39,99€ and both are games of the same scope. Miles Morales is shorter than Spider-Man 2018.

so, instead of hiking the price 10€ up like for the other games, they want 20€ more here.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Just frame rate, unless you have dynamic resolution also enabled. But games don't usually have both.

edit: that's bollocks, I recall CoD having dynamic res and not hitting 60fps in some cases. but the point still stands, games would need a target 60fps and dynamic res patch for boost mode to do the rest.

RobbRivers

Jan 3, 2018
It'd be cool they unlocked framerate and resolution for ps4 BC owners, and who want's, give the option to buy that remaster...

robinium7

Jul 25, 2020
Ireland

Boost only works where things are unlocked. If the game has resolution locked or capped, it can't exceed that even if the hardware is powerful enough. If frame rate is locked to 30, then it's 30. It's a very quick and easy patch for devs to go back and unlock those things (adding dynamic 4K resolution with a 60fps target essentially) and that's all I really wanted for PS4 games on PS5. Not these paid remasters which add a few more bells and whistles which, tbh, I can't see much of from what's shown thus far.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I thought all headphones were 3D audio compatible because the hardware was in the PS5, I guess not...
Well you do need to be able to connect the headset to the ps5. Most use optical for sound, and PS5 doesn't have an optical port. But if you can manage to get audio from the PS5 from which ever way possible, then the 3d processing is done by the PS5. The easiest way would be to just plug in a headset to the controller.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
not offering this as a 20 or 30 or 40 dollar standalone shows exactly how pathetic of a move this is from sony

to read through this topic and see people not only accept but embrace this costing 70 dollars (don't say it doesn't, you gotta pay 70 dollars to access it) bothers me.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
blastprocessor can you please add to your OP that around 4:56 the video maker didn't notice the use of the same low resolution shadow maps from the PS4 version that flicker and get gradually improved when you are close to them. This is a common thing for current gen games like Fortnite and MGS5.
You also forgot to mention what the video maker mentioned around 8:06 where Peter's hand shadow is missng from that shot.
- Mugs seem to be different shape and color now.
Overall skin shader and SSS is better now and you can see that on Peter's ears.
Tbh I hope they improve the shadow map quality for the performance mode and that the quality RT mode is using higher quality shadow maps too since that mode is not using RT shadows which is weird tbh since RT AO and RT reflections are more taxing overall which that mode is using.
But I have high hopes till release since jstevenson assured Dark1x that the game is improved since those pics were taken.

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
I will say that to your boss. I see nothing here that justifie to pay your income.

Bad analogy, but I'll play along.

If I go to my boss asking for a raise and I put in a minimum amount of work, I expect to hear "Why should I pay you that? The other guy worked a lot harder than you" or "I could higher another guy cheaper to do the same job?". This represents what an upgrade fee is.

If a go to my boss asking for a raise and I put a maximum amount of effort into it, I expect to hear "Sure. You're worth every dime". This represents what was done with the Demon's Souls remake. A total remake. That's I'm willing to pay for. Spider-man is an upgrade.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not offering this as a 20 or 30 or 40 dollar standalone shows exactly how pathetic of a move this is from sony

to read through this topic and see people not only accept but embrace this costing 70 dollars (don't say it doesn't, you gotta pay 70 dollars to access it) bothers me.

It's called loyalty to a corporation

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Like, honestly, who wanted this before they announced it?
The studio themselves did.

Bad analogy, but I'll play along.

If I go to my boss asking for a raise and I put in a minimum amount of work, I expect to hear "Why should I pay you that? The other guy worked a lot harder than you" or "I could higher another guy cheaper to do the same job?". This represents what an upgrade fee is.

If a go to my boss asking for a raise and I put a maximum amount of effort into it, I expect to hear "Sure. You're worth every dime". This represents what was done with the Demon's Souls remake. A total remake. That's I'm willing to pay for. Spider-man is an upgrade.
This is a bad analogy. You're comparing a full fledged $70 game to a $20 upgrade. If you wanna make this valid, compare it to BC info dump we got a couple days ago. This seems to be what a lot of you are comparing it to already.
Speak with your wallet.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yeh, definitely not very impressive besides the 60fps. I'll probably just get morales once it comes on ps plus.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i also don't like devs selling their 1 year of hard work which makes it basically a new game tech-wise.

its not basically a new game. As someone who bought the deluxe edition on ps4 and platinumed the game, it seems like a way to try to squeeze more money out of people who already bought it. It should have been free for folks who owned the deluxe edition at least.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
man miss me with the Sony bootlicking comments if you don't want to pay for it that's awesome but don't talk shit about others who are

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
The studio themselves did.

This is a bad analogy. You're comparing a full fledged $70 game to a $20 upgrade. If you wanna make this valid, compare it to BC info dump we got a couple days ago. This seems to be what a lot of you are comparing it to already.
Speak with your wallet.

OK...here's Gears 5. Note that I didn't want to bring up an MS game, but since you've put it in play...

• Contact Shadows
  • Screen Space Global Illumination
  • 50% higher particles counts than that on the PC's ultra spec
  • Real time cinematics in 4K 60fps
  • Higher resolution textures
  • Improved Anisotropic Filtering
  • Higher Resolution Volume Fog
  • Higher quality Depth of Field
  • Extremely far Draw Distances with high level of object detail
  • Shadow Resolution & Shadow Distance
  • High quality Screen Space Reflections
  • Post Processing improvements like Bloom, Lens Flare, Light Shafts, etc.
  • 120fps multiplayer support
All for free. I am speaking with my wallet. I am not console warring, I've said this about every game forcing a fee for an upgrade.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So it's $70 because it comes with Miles Morales. Do people just wanna play this game and not Miles Morales? Because if so then I can see the problem.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OK...here's Gears 5. Note that I didn't want to bring up an MS game, but since you've put it in play...

• Contact Shadows
All for free. I am speaking with my wallet. I am not console warring, I've said this about every game forcing a fee for an upgrade.
I have a horrible feeling in the launch day hype I'll end up getting the remaster with Miles Morales because it was one of my favourite games this gen…
BUT, this shows why I shouldn't. Sony doesn't exist in a vacuum they are releasing a console in direct competition with Xbox. And Xbox is absolutely shaming them when it comes to BC and free upgrades.
Yeah it costs money to upgrade the games but it gets harder to justify the expense every time MS shows off their own free upgrades. PlayStation isn't exactly hurting for money they could and should upgrade a bunch of their existing games for the transition.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017

• Contact Shadows
too much truth in your post.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
again, the question is: what does "compatible" mean in this case?
Any headset that works on PS5 is what it means. Plugging a headset to the controller is one way to get 3d audio. For other headsets that support optical audio, then you need to contact the manufacturer for support. For example ASTRO has work arounds for many of their headsets to work on both nextgen systems, either by firmware update or need an adaptor. Basically the 3d audio tech is built in to the PS5, you just need to be able to get audio from it.
blog.astrogaming.com

Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5 Compatibility - ASTRO Gaming Blog

ASTRO is excited to announce that our entire line of gaming headsets are future proof featuring full compatibility with Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5*

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017

• Contact Shadows

Store A is offering buy one get one free on product.
Store B is not offering buy one get one free on product.
F*** store B, I absolutely deserve to get product free there too!
Look, I get it. You absolutely have the right to spend your money where you please to get the most value out ot your money, but let's not pretend that everyone has to give us stuff "Free" just because someone else is willing to. In this case, just don't buy the remaster. Solved.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
Yeah it costs money to upgrade the games but it gets harder to justify the expense every time MS shows off their own free upgrades. PlayStation isn't exactly hurting for money they could and should upgrade a bunch of their existing games for the transition.

Sony really should have thrown some money at their first party devs to have day one upgrades for free to existing PS4 games, just like MS did. Spiderman, Last Of US 2, Bloodborne, GT Sport, Ghost of T. Didn't have to be crazy - Frame rate boosts, resolution & texture upgrades, higher quality FX and draw distance, not necessarily adding RT. It would have gone down well with consumers, and it wouldn't have cost Sony all that much to generate that positive PR. Nobody is suggesting Dev's shouldn't be paid for their work, but the platform holder doesn't need to pass that on to consumers, as MS have demonstrated.

We have a couple of PS5s coming, but aside from Demon Souls, there's not much to get excited about at launch. Will probably pick up Valhalla, Watchdogs, and Cyberpunk at launch, but not sure whether those will be on XsX or PS5. Demon's is day one. Knowing that a bunch of games on Xbox will have free patches at launch is very nice and there's a bunch of games I've not properly spent time with, like Gears 5 and FH4. My kids have had PS4s this past gen, so we already have a nice back catalog that I have barely touched, it would have been nice to jump in with some upgrades, that's for sure. With free upgrades from PS4 to PS4 Pro and Xbox One to Xbox One X, it's become expected really.

I do wonder how much of the upgraded tech in Spiderman is a direct result of implementing it in Morales and actually isn't costing the Sony all that much extra to implement.

Golding

Oct 25, 2017
Store A is offering buy one get one free on product.
Store B is not offering buy one get one free on product.
F*** store B, I absolutely deserve to get product free there too!
Look, I get it. You absolutely have the right to spend your money where you please to get the most value out ot your money, but let's not pretend that everyone has to give us stuff "Free" just because someone else is willing to. In this case, just don't buy the remaster. Solved.
cmon man, he is just giving his opinion.. let's not get this aggressive.
edit: double post