• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't even tell what was the tornado until looking closer to realize that's not just a huge as cloud in the sky.

Stay safe out there all.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, I'm an idiot.

Would a tornado this big has slower wind speeds at its base than a thinner tornado?

Or is it just equally as fast and just covers more area?

pioneer

May 31, 2022
The footage is terrifying. Hopefully there was enough warning for people to have time to evacuate.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
Sorry, I'm an idiot.

Would a tornado this big has slower wind speeds at its base than a thinner tornado?

The second. Keep in mind that the only reason we can see the tornado that large is because of the debris and dirt it has picked up. And it has to be very strong to be able to keep that much stuff airborne.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
It's been three years since the last recorded EF5 tornado, but this one is going to come pretty close. That's probably a half mile wide.

Deleted member 50498

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Sorry, I'm an idiot.

No, usually large wedge tornadoes likes in the OP tend to be EF3+.

EF3 wind speed is strong enough to total your house.

There were a few EF5 tornadoes during the April 2011 outbreak that were just as large, if not larger in the OP, that had a forward speed of 60mph.

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that's horrifying. We're just under a tornado watch here in my area but the major stuff is looking to be missing us thankfully.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
The second. Keep in mind that the only reason we can see the tornado that large is because of the debris and dirt it has picked up. And it has to be very strong to be able to keep that much stuff airborne.
No, usually large wedge tornadoes likes in the OP tend to be EF3+.

EF3 wind speed is strong enough to total your house.

There were a few EF5 tornadoes during the April 2011 outbreak that were just as large, if not larger in the OP, that had a forward speed of 60mph.

Jesus, that is terrifying.

I'm hoping for minimal casualties at this point.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Looks like such a Beautiful view... Beautiful area... and then you have that thing in the background. Geez.

From Twitter/X

GMHp4JAWUAAgKcy

Citizencope

Oct 28, 2017
I drove cross country a few years ago and a few storms scared the shit out of me. Don't think I'm built for Tornado threats.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I always think about tornadoes this time of year because of the horror show of the 2011 outbreak in my native Southeast was at the same late April timeframe.

Hope everyone in the path of this was able to get warning and escape harm. It looks bad from the damage footage on reddit but the buildings aren't completely obliterated, just heavily damaged/destroyed, so I have hope.

Tornado sirens are just such a terrifying noise. I will never not get freaked out hearing them, even just in a video. The terror is otherwordly.

Those guys in the video above are at serious risk.

There's always risk, but having a perpendicular "angle of attack" when chasing (which they did have) mitigates the risk vs. the extremely dangerous tracking in parallel. Storms move fast and wobble, but generally don't change course 90 degrees.

Deleted member 50498

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Jesus, that is terrifying.

I'm hoping for minimal casualties at this point.
Oh, it can get more terrifying.

The 2013 El Reno tornado was the largest ever recorded at 2.6 miles. The measured winds above ground level were 302 mph. It also had subvortcies dancing around the main funnel like a carousel that was a half-mile wide, with a moving speed of 175mph.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
North Florida surprisingly has a lot of tornados. When I used to live there years ago, we would be under tornado watch like every two weeks. Very unsettling.

That tornado is ridiculous. It looks like it covers a 3 mile diameter.

Geode

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god, just terrifying. I fucking hate tornadoes.