• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I'm an idiot.

Would a tornado this big has slower wind speeds at its base than a thinner tornado?

Or is it just equally as fast and just covers more area?

Oddly enough, it depends (you can have violent winds in both smaller tornadoes and large wedge ones like above), but the big, wedge shaped mile-wide tornadoes tend to have very strong winds. Most of the top 10 wind speeds recorded in tornadoes came from big ones.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
SPC (Storm Prediction Center) has an enhanced outlook for tomorrow as well.

Please notify loved ones to stay vigilant and have a tornado safety plan if they are located in the orange or yellow areas.

day2otlk_1730.gif

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/day2otlk.html

I know they don't like to put the Moderate bullseye on there until they are sure but I feel like we're probably going to see that happen tonight or early tomorrow.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas

Deleted member 50498

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
I know they don't like to put the Moderate bullseye on there until they are sure but I feel like we're probably going to see that happen tonight or early tomorrow.

It's possible, but it's also possible the SPC can modify the outlook with hatched areas, which can be just as bad.

I'm in the middle of that yellow in Texas šŸ˜

Tomorrow we are supposed to have sever weather in the Tulsa area :( Luckily today wasn't too bad
Be prepared and have a tornado safety plan.

Oct 27, 2017
Elkhorn and Bennington are 10 mins from me,that shit was nuts. I left work early which is right near our airport,watched a tornado touch down there and tear a bunch of shit up then slowly worked towards the fixed camera covering it and took that out..wild day

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
This shit is so frightening. Praying for everyone involved. No idea what the fuck you are supposed to do in this scenario. That is heartbreaking

ShabbadooJr

Oct 27, 2017
Omaha, NE
Yep that was no fun. That tornado came way too close today. It was terrifying to watch the skycam
on KETV seeing the tornado get so large and it kept heading my way. It missed us but it was closer than I would've preferred.

My wife and I typically watch Twister anytime we get our first decent storm of the year but we had to stop it close to the end as the real tornado got close. Maybe we stop this tradition.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea they could just have smaller ones inside, that's nuts.

Tornado chasers are both brave and insane it seems.

Tornadoes are wild. I read up on em as a hobby at times (I wish I had majored in Meteorology, but it didn't work out, it was too far from home). Chasers definitely live on the wild side. I want to see one, but in an open field preferably.

With those sub-vortices, sometimes the tornado can be so intense that that they come out horizontally. A famous one for this is the Tuscaloosa tornado from 2011. They almost resemble outstretched arms.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus. I've been busy and haven't kept up. I'll be up all night reading about this.

Please notify loved ones to stay vigilant and have a tornado safety plan if they are located in the orange or yellow areas.

day2otlk_1730.gif

Do you think they were extra conservative today? I know they had a couple of recent events that under produced, but I'm curious how they held out from signaling for a moderate risk today.

Deleted member 50498

Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Jesus. I've been busy and haven't kept up. I'll be up all night reading about this.

Do you think they were extra conservative today? I know they had a couple of recent events that under produced, but I'm curious how they held out from signaling for a moderate risk today.
I don't think previous outlooks given by the SPC that 'under produced' have any bearing on future outlooks.

One thing is for sure: today's events will be analyzed, and hopefully, any new insight will be used for better accuracy.

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Feel for all y'all posting that were close to this shit. A surprising amount really. I'm glad you're safe.

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
bro i couldn't tell where the tornado was because i thought i was looking at just THE SKY. that's a big tornado.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I'm so glad I don't live in the midwest anymore due to these storms.

I was stationed and lived in South Dakota for five years, and while I never experienced a tornado, we're still dealing with ramifications from a massive hail thunderstorm that happened in 2020.

Totaled my wife's car, and caused damage to mine that I got dinged on when I traded it in.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No reported deaths yet seems like a good sign. Elkhorn is an Omaha suburb so it's not like it's just open countryside that got hit.

Oct 27, 2017

day2otlk_1730.gif

Oh yay, right over me.
Looks like I'm going to have a fun day today.

At least I still don't have to deal with tornadoes as much as I did when I lived in West TN. Felt like every other week down there.

Deleted member 50498

Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Sadly yeah, too much felt like it was coming together.

Anyone who lives along the I-44 corridor all the way up to Joplin and Springfield probably needs to keep close tabs on the weather today.
Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself because today marks 13 years since the day of the April 27, 2011, super outbreak that spawned six EF5 tornadoes.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself because today marks 13 years since the day of the April 27, 2011, super outbreak that spawned six EF5 tornadoes.

Hopefully it doesn't repeat itself.

Only positive so far is it's not quite April 27, 2011 levels of setup where we came into that day already at a high risk with off-the-charts indicators it was going to be terrible.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1784220342388691114

Tornadoes wreaked havoc Friday in the midwestern US, causing a building to collapse with dozens of people inside and destroying and damaging hundreds of homes, many around Omaha, Nebraska.

As of Friday night, there were several reports of injuries but no immediate deaths reported. Tornado warnings continued to be issued into the night in Iowa.

The forecast for Saturday was ominous. The National Weather Service issued tornado watches across parts of Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma and Texas. Forecasters warned that large hail and strong wind gusts were possible.

"It does look like a big outbreak again tomorrow," said Becky Kern, the warning coordination meteorologist in the National Weather Service's Omaha office. "Maybe slightly farther south."

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
Holy shit, dangers of being on the road during something like this.

View: https://x.com/BDAhrensWX/status/1784006973647720545

Yeah, semis are basically just long walls. High winds push them around like nothing. The guy recording is very lucky.

Jesus Christ. I believe that there would be poop in my pants if I was that guy. I hope that the truck didn't have anyone driving it at the time it was flung.

It looked like both the truck recording as well as the semi were moving, so they both had to have had drivers in them.

I'm so glad I don't live in the midwest anymore due to these storms.

I was stationed and lived in South Dakota for five years, and while I never experienced a tornado, we're still dealing with ramifications from a massive hail thunderstorm that happened in 2020.

Totaled my wife's car, and caused damage to mine that I got dinged on when I traded it in.

I'd rather deal with storms and tornadoes than I would with stuff like earthquakes and hurricanes. Storms like this, and tornadoes especially, are already a relatively rare event but happening this close to a major metropolitan area like Omaha is damn near unheard of.

DJ88

Oct 26, 2017
Tornadoes are terrifying for sure, luckily it's extremely rare to be hit by one. Millions live in tornado alley their whole lives never even seeing one.

For anyone whose curiosity has been sparked by these videos or wants to learn more about them, I highly suggest checking out the best tornado/weather phenomena related YouTube channel out there right now

View: https://youtu.be/WeNmCRN9VN4

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Tornadoes are terrifying for sure, luckily it's extremely rare to be hit by one. Millions live in tornado alley their whole lives never even seeing one.

For anyone whose curiosity has been sparked by these videos or wants to learn more about them, I highly suggest checking out the best tornado/weather phenomena related YouTube channel out there right now

View: https://youtu.be/WeNmCRN9VN4

Weatherbox is also a great channel for weather history videos. His recent one was on the 1974 Super Outbreak and how it became the confirmation of Dr. Fujita's tornado science:

View: https://youtu.be/ral7kXMYLjI?si=Q8rCbH3P3eYQ7L6c

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I saw the storm chasers from yesterday and was in awe of the sheer number of them. The warning alarms going off every few moments.

And if we see that again today, I hope people will be safe. Lost enough yesterday

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
I just found out my coworker in Minden is okay and their house is fine. Seems like a coin flip if anyone made it out unscathed.