• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

In reply to another twitter user, Mat also said this:

I thought this was interesting info since this thing is talked a lot here whenever PS PC stuff is discussed.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I mean less PC people having a PS5 make sense there less PS5 out there compare to PS4.
Th more interesting data would be if we had a time frame .

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I've been PC only since the PS360 era. Not going back. Sony finally figured out that they can still get money from people like me by just releasing stuff on PC. Microsoft figured that out years ago.

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
How exactly are PC players counted here? If it is simply holding a steam/EGS account, then that number might not be a good representation

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I've said the same thing recently.

Because if games coming to PC meant console gaming was affected....why do the split for multi platform game sales heavily favor consoles...?

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Platform Warring; Trolling; History of Platform Warring
Oh sweet it's already time for some more brain swelling arguments with the 'ports are actually ads for sequels on PS5' crowd

Last edited:

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
Sounds like 2/3s will be waiting X years for ports, none of which will be Bloodborne because life sucks.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
It'll be interesting to see if the 2 out of 3 that never got a PS4 will now be lured into the Playstation ecosystem by this wave of late ports.
I don't think that what motivates Sony, but that's a commonly used argument

Oct 27, 2017
So would this dispel any theory on Sony needing to release a pro console to combat pc game sales, or players spending more time on pc?

Oct 25, 2017
...those numbers are actually higher than I would have thought. I think Matt's conclusions are still sound though.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if the 2 out of 3 that never got a PS4 will now be lured into the Playstation ecosystem by this wave of late ports.
I don't think that what motivates Sony, but that's a commonly used argument
it's a commonly used argument by people who aren't really thinking it out as much as they think they have

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"Only" isn't a good word here in my opinion. I mean 1/3 of PC gamers isn't a small number and it's even much higher than I expected.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
People downplay the convenience of playing games on consoles. A lot of hardcore Resetera gamerz would probably be cool shifting to PC only if they could get Sony 1P on day 1… but I don't think the same is true for your average PlayStation console owner

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I owed a ps4 pro for a bit, till I realize it's not a console for me when I own a pc that had majority of the library shared with the ps4 and then some. It was a waste of money for me.

z1ggy

Oct 25, 2017
Argentina
Most people only play on a single platform, so yeah going for the PC market is the right decision.

Theres a lot of money to be made.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Would be interesting to cross reference that 1/3 with how many have more capable PC's. Say a 6 core 12 thread processor with a RX 5600 xt as the minimum.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
exactly. most people don't want to tinker endlessly with a pc, they want a box to plug in and work. releasing day & date on PC address 2 distinct markets and does not canibilize the other

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
1/3rd doesn't seem too high to me at all.

Like... you all realize how long the PS4 has been on the market, right?

The console will be a decade old soon. It's been available (often relatively inexpensively) for a looong time.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Its the only way they are getting money from me as i have no plans of buying a ps5

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You do have to remember that this is US figures, so it's likely going to be among the highest overlap between PC gamers and console gamers. I do think we can put the idea that there's a significant overlap between console gamers and PC gamers worldwide into the bin.

AngelOFDeath

Nov 13, 2017
Has the PC audience increased from say, 15 years ago, 10 years ago, 5 years ago?
While this is just a FEELING, it feels like the PC crowd has gained largely in part by the rise of streaming and its popularity.

Since building a PC, and playing games on there, its becoming an increasingly better value in my own opinion. Only the ecosystem of Playstation has led me to stay on there, however I'm slowly pulling away due to being able to do what I can do on console plus more.

With that said, the reason why I bring up the increase in PC crowd question is, if in fact games start hitting day 1, I can see myself going more PC, as the only thing left IS Playstation first party games. It feels like a trickle into that direction, and I get why that twitter user brought up that question.

Consoles will forever be a simplistic closed box that anyone can use, but hell I will dare to ask... how much impact has the PC market had on the console market over the last few years.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
People downplay the convenience of playing games on consoles. A lot of hardcore Resetera gamerz would probably be cool shifting to PC only if they could get Sony 1P on day 1… but I don't think the same is true for your average PlayStation console owner
Absolutely. I own a gaming laptop and have my desktop hooked into my TV. I definitely game more on my PS5/Switch more than my PC's due to convenience. It's the little things that make it more convenient as when I boot up my computer I have to deal with a vast array of settings, random pop-ups, getting sidetracked, or even getting lost on Steam/Itch for hours at a time. Minor inconveniences compared to the ease of just starting your console.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The one thing this number doesn't tell us is who is classified as a pc gamer? I play hundreds of hours a year on my laptop, but for games like Among Us or other cheap, older games on steam. By hours played on a laptop I'm a "pc gamer" but I don't have anywhere near the kind of hardware that average "pc gamer" does.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never bet against the convenience of playing top class games on a comfy couch.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
Pc gamers who buy consoles for exclusives are a tiny part.

Also, those guys only buy 1-2 games every year.. they don't engage in psn+ And mtx etc hence thise are bad customers to Sony , it is far better for Sony to cater to pc gamers on steam

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I legit read that last Twitter sentence as...

"People will keep buying consoles so long as a consoles provide convenience and ease of use while connected to the big shitty TV"

I spent the last 5 minutes laughing until I realised I misread it

😀

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Have all three, and I also have my main gaming PC hooked up to the "big shiny TV". 🤷‍♂️
I don't see Sony doing the same as Microsoft, with same day releases, so the exclusives that I really want to play I'll just be getting on the PS5 anyway.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
it is far better for Sony to cater to pc gamers on steam

i'm not even sure how this is even a question anymore. they release some games, they did the math, then went and bought an entire dedicated PC porting company

Have all three, and I also have my main gaming PC hooked up to the "big shiny TV".
🤷‍♂️

many, many people do that as well

farrrrrrrrr more don't want to do that

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
We're finally just getting to the point where it's easier to make a decision between which platform you should get. I think it's great that everyone's able to find success AND people get to play where they want to play. I love the trend.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
"If they release on PC, why would I buy PS5?" Then fucking don't, if PC is your preferred platform why are you whining that you don't need to waste 500 bucks. Play on what you want to play on.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
The one thing this number doesn't tell us is who is classified as a pc gamer? I play hundreds of hours a year on my laptop, but for games like Among Us or other cheap, older games on steam. By hours played on a laptop I'm a "pc gamer" but I don't have anywhere near the kind of hardware that average "pc gamer" does.

Well, the lower power PC gamer is actually a massive segment. It might be approached differently, but I don't think there's any harm in still calling them PC gamers.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the percentage comparison doesn't matter because the PS5 has supply issues and it has barely been out.

That said, it still is true that sales will not be cannibalized.

And I find it funny that the people who say that PS5 sales will be cannibalized are the same people who say PC gaming is not for them because of all the issues with it. If YOU'RE having issues with it, and YOU'RE still going to be playing on PS5, why assume that others won't do the same?