• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
The "why would people bother buying consoles" crowd has the same basic confusion about consumer market incentives as the "why wouldn't they just emulate old games" crowd does. Most people just want a thing to work like a black box product and want nothing to do with anything even a little techy.

Headman Rum

Oct 28, 2017
Sony have the data, if there was any sign that their pc ports were hurting console sales and digital revenues they would quickly reassess their pc strategy.
My only concern about pc ports is if Sony were to do an about face and start creating ps5 games with lower spec pc's in mind in order to get the port money later down the road (but I don't think this will happen).
Having said all that, I quite like the idea of being able to play GT7 on steam deck…. as well as on PS5, but I doubt Sony will deliver cross save functionality to enable me to seamlessly play off the same save on both the console and handheld.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot more than I would have expected. I imagine it depends a lot on what they define as a PC player.

Also it doesn't seem right that the PS5 % is 1/4th the PS4 %. There's no way the PS5 has sold close to 1/4th the PS4's LTD sales, right?

Raigor

May 14, 2020
PC players in the US =/= PC players WW.

If you are in Eastern Europe or SEA in general, i hardly doubt 1/3 of PC players also own a PS4.

And the whole point about Sony porting their 1P titles on PC is to reach these audiences, not the ones in the US.

Funky_Monkey

Oct 31, 2017
The "why would people bother buying consoles" crowd has the same basic confusion about consumer market incentives as the "why wouldn't they just emulate old games" crowd does. Most people just want a thing to work like a black box product and want nothing to do with anything even a little techy.
Yep. This is proven by how many people even here on a gaming enthusiast website were horrified at the mere thought of opening their PS5 for the simplest of SSD add-ons. Unless they were just trolling of course.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
I guess one of the questions I still have for Sony is how will they treat PC as a main platform compared to their own consoles. MS seems to doing a good job at providing parity in terms of constantly upgrading games, crossplay/cross saves/cross progression, price parity, etc., but one of my worries is that Sony will over-emphasize PC and leave console-only owners neglected and taxed at every turn.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I mostly play on PC.

Used to be a mostly PS console gamer, though. Had a huge PS1/2/3 physical library. My 60GB PS3 died and I couldn;t get a b/c one. Then PS4 had no b/c even with digital PS1 games.

I had a PS4 Pro for a while but sold it a few years ago. Sold most of my physical PS collection because it's obvious they don't care about their software legacy and library, just look at how they handled the PS Classic.

Have zero intention of ever picking up a PS5. If they want me to play their games, PC is their only option now.

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Well, the lower power PC gamer is actually a massive segment. It might be approached differently, but I don't think there's any harm in still calling them PC gamers.
I wouldn't either, but that's why I question the 1/3 number. I would think if someone like me counted as a pc gamer then the amount of people who own a ps4/switch/xbox 1/etc would be a lot higher.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
I guess one of the questions I still have for Sony is how will they treat PC as a main platform compared to their own consoles. MS seems to doing a good job at providing parity in terms of constantly upgrading games, crossplay/cross saves/cross progression, price parity, etc., but one of my worries is that Sony will overemphasize PC and leave console-only owners neglected and taxed at every turn.

Console players are the ones spending $$$ in their ecosystem and of course they will "tax" them at every turn when it possible.

PC players will get their exclusives after X years and move on.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Wonder what the figures are for Switch. Wouldn't be too surprised if they were higher than PS or Xbox.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the argument they'll cannibalise their sales holds little water. There are several pros and cons for playing games on console or choosing PC as a main platform. While some do have PCs hooked up to TVs I'd venture the majority who have a PC do not or use it as multipurpose device. PCs also require more maintainance and know-how; what GPU/CPU/SSD or Hard drive should I have? Which launxhers or drivers do I need? Amongst others. But you can get a more customisable, optimised and higher fidelity experience on PC.

Consoles despite some added complexity for users over time are still a simpler proposition for some consumers. Of course there are a whole list of other pros and cons for each but I don't think there is evidence (yet) to suggest any obvious cannabilisation of sales.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
"If they release on PC, why would I buy PS5?" Then fucking don't, if PC is your preferred platform why are you whining that you don't need to waste 500 bucks. Play on what you want to play on.
Right lol. I doubt anyone who actually plays on PC is complaining about not needing to spend more money.
PC players in the US =/= PC players WW.

If you are in Eastern Europe or SEA in general, i hardly doubt 1/3 of PC players also own a PS4.

And the whole point about Sony porting their 1P titles on PC is to reach these audiences, not the ones in the US.
Good point.
Wonder what the figures are for Switch. Wouldn't be too surprised if they were higher than PS or Xbox.
Probably, yeah. I feel many people have Switch + one of the other platforms.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
This is so spot on. Literally the same point brought up for 2 decades. "Those dummies, releasing exclusives on PC means there is no point in buying the console!" And yet console demand continues to climb year after year
Xbox already proved you correct, right? But yeah, I don't see the issue of reaching a larger audience with PS5 & PC.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
"If they release on PC, why would I buy PS5?" Then fucking don't, if PC is your preferred platform why are you whining that you don't need to waste 500 bucks. Play on what you want to play on.
Seriously. This line of thinking is so foreign to anyone who actually plays on PC. Having less of a reason to buy yet another piece of hardware destined for a landfill someday can only be a good thing lol.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
User Warned: Trolling
What was the point of the focus on the SSD speed if they are just going to release games on PC? Their own 1st party games can't really make use of it now that they will have to scale down for pc.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, obviously playstations would still be bought in general. *I* no longer would if playstation games were day and date on PC though.

Do people like me matter in terms of overall sales? Meh. Probs not. The "hardcore" audience pretty much never matters nearly as much as they like to think after all.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Another question is how much that 1/3 used thier PS4. Like in my case yes I do own one but my use of it has been sporadic and it's sometimes gone months without ever being turned on. If many of those were like me only playing the occasional exclusive and not subscribing to Plus they aren't a major loss if they stop buying consoles.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
If you talk to PC gamers, the 1/3 own a PS4 isn't that surprising. A lot of the sentiment last console gen was "buy a PS4 and Switch for exclusives, and then a PC for third party and Xbox games." And with the PS4 being out for so long, it's not surprising for someone to pick it up on sale to play an exclusive or two they wanted to play. I didn't buy a console last gen, but the previous one I bought a PS3 so I could play GTAV (before it was announced for PC). I bought a PS3 in 2013 for like $250 or something like that and it came with GTAV bundled in.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The whole argument is idiotic. Game sales still end up going to the same vendor, regardless of hardware. It was something to behold when certain members from the gaming community thought they were somehow wounding Xbox by opting PC over console with their PC output. MS don't care where you play, if you prefer PC, godspeed, go and enjoy. Console/PC gaming is a preference, many here can afford to build competent PCs or buy consoles but choose not to, releasing to both simply means greater potential to grow as most gamers will simply avoid games if it's outside of what they enjoy gaming on.

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
I expect more, quicker pc ports from Sony in the future. We'll get to day and date eventually.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
Well, this is only PC gamers in the US (and I'm skeptical about the accuracy of it anyways)

US represented only, what, ~25% of total ps4 sales? So 33% of that PC gamers market part of that ~25% subset…I guess I could buy that.

I hope this finally puts to bed the notion Sony is putting all their games on the PC as a way to get pc gamers to buy a console and move to PSN. This is simply them wanting their IP games to sell to a wider market than they were.

My Tulpa

alt account
Banned
Sep 19, 2021
I expect more, quicker pc ports from Sony in the future. We'll get to day and date eventually.

Agreed.

it's inevitable seeing as there is very little crossover between pc gamers and PlayStation owners and seeing as Sony isn't expecting their pc release strategy to get them to crossover.

but mostly it's inevitable because Microsoft is doing it. And Sony desperately needs to compete for that 3rd party gaming service market space. Most their money earned through PlayStation is from that market.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I'm one of the 8%, same with XSX. As Mat said, "I prefer to play some games in front of my big shiny TV". Even with a gaming PC.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
I have never understood why people think PC gamers are suddenly going to go out of their way to purchase a console if a game they might think is cool is console exclusive, they just won't play it. Do people not think people are capable of just skipping games and not going out to buy a $500 machine to play 1 game they might like. Day 1 console games will all launch on PC besides Nintendo but even then maybe it could happen.

Also no someone isn't going to go buy GoW 2018 then be so excited for GoWR that they're going to go out and buy a console to play it, because if they were so keen on playing GoW they wouldn't have waited nearly 4 years for it to hit Steam to play it they would've just bought a PS4.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
The argument in regards to why would anyone ever buy a console if games release day and date on PC has always been so dumb and shallow. Microsoft literally already proved that console sales are still very strong and they've done it for years. People like consoles just like people like PCs.

Also hope this might put to bed the idea that Sony is only releasing their games on PC to sell PS5s or whatever.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What was the point of the focus on the SSD speed if they are just going to release games on PC? Their own 1st party games can't really make use of it now that they will have to scale down for pc.
you really think a PC can't do the same things a ps5 can?

it's the same as it always was on PC. PC has been fast loading for a lot lot lot lot lot lot longer than Playstation has, and all I have to do to keep that up is slot a new NVME in

if my PC isn't fast enough then it's not fast enough and I'll either get intermittent load screens or the game just won't run the same on PC that it runs on PS5. Scaling down isn't that much of an issue, so PC isn't going to hold PS5 back. lol.

Sorry, it's just hard for me to not snark about this. Having been a part of this community for as long as I have been, the notion that PC will hold console game design back is just wild to me. Its the sort of insinuation that GAF's console fans used to yell at PC gamers for saying, even back when consoles used laptop CPUs and slow HDDs. If those weren't holding gaming back, then PC hardware variance ain't either

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
How exactly are PC players counted here? If it is simply holding a steam/EGS account, then that number might not be a good representation
Using December 31, 2019 numbers (PS4 lifetime units sold in the US region) as the latest data: 106 million PS4s sold.

106 million * 3 = 318 million PC players.

Total US population as of December 31, 2019: 329.26 million

That's quite a lot over the course of 6 years.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
The argument in regards to why would anyone ever buy a console if games release day and date on PC has always been so dumb and shallow. Microsoft literally already proved that console sales are still very strong and they've done it for years. People like consoles just like people like PCs.

Also hope this might put to bed the idea that Sony is only releasing their games on PC to sell PS5s or whatever.

The argument has always and will always be console wars BS, there is a divide between a console gamer and PC gamer. Some people want to play console only and some people want to play PC only there is such a small portion of gamers who play on both. I agree with the last bit to selling PC copies to sell PS5s that has always been such a dumb argument that made it seem like damage control honestly. Sony and Microsoft will lose nothing selling their games on PC because the PC market won't buy consoles in the first place.

Orion117

Prophet of Regret - A King's Landing
Dec 8, 2018
Using December 31, 2019 numbers (PS4 lifetime units sold in the US region) as the latest data: 106 million PS4s sold.

Thats not what those numbers are. They are saying of all the pc owners, a third also own a ps4. Not that ps4 pop is 3rd of pc.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
I really don't understand how some people are going to read this percents. Piscitella said 1/3 of PS4 and 8% of PS5. Assuming that PS4 Will not be supported anymore After two Years, 8% of PC gamers Who have a PS5 Is a very Low percent, imho. So this Is a Great market for Sony.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
According to The NPD Group's PlayerPulse, only about 1/3 of Xbox players in the US owns a PS4, and only 8% own a PS5. That leaves a huge Xbox audience that can be reached, and is also why releasing ports on Xbox is not likely to impact content sales on the Playstation consoles. Win-win kinda deal.

According to The NPD Group's PlayerPulse, only about 1/3 of Switch players in the US owns a PS4, and only 8% own a PS5. That leaves a huge Switch audience that can be reached, and is also why releasing ports on Switch is not likely to impact content sales on the Playstation consoles. Win-win kinda deal.

#analysis

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Um...I don't think Sony sold 100m PS4s in the US.
Also it's 1/3 of US PC players (whatever that definition is) have a PS4, not that there are 3 times as many US PC players as there are overall US PS4 players.