Now we going to tell people they aren't learning soon enough? I mean yeah he's late as shit but it's better that at least he learned to stop being a fucking idiot now compared to never. We can't expect everyone to learn at the same pace as progressive people.

Apr 21, 2018
Yikes. I mean, about a minimum of two decades too late ... but I do live in a fairly progressive city and in somewhat of a progressive bubble, so, I don't know. Does he live in Arkansas and talk to nobody?

I guess better late than never. I saw Stillwater last night and it's one of his greatest performances. The PR around this film though, yikes.

May 14, 2021
Not gonna roast a person for learning and admitting what they'd done was wrong. Good on him, but especially his daughter.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Now we going to tell people they aren't learning soon enough? I mean yeah he's late as shit but it's better that at least he learned to stop being a fucking idiot now compared to never. We can't expect everyone to learn at the same pace as progressive people.

part of it is that he's, for some god unknown reason, announcing it as if it's some accomplishment* to realize a homophobic slur is a homophobic slur in 2021, and part of it is that he tries to play it off that it "meant something different when he was younger" and it 100% did not.

*but i guess he's on to something given that people in this thread are ready to applaud him for doing the absolute honest to god bare minimum of not saying slurs

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It took him that long and he stil thought that it was a joke up until recently?

tenor.gif

part of it is that he's, for some god unknown reason, announcing it as if it's some accomplishment to realize a homophobic slur is a homophobic slur in 2021, and part of it is that he tries to play it off that it "meant something different when he was younger" and it 100% did not

I definitely agree with that. Broadcasting this in 2021 like it is some sort of accomplishment is really fucking weird. This is like when Liam Neeson announced he used to be a racist while promoting his movie. Like just keep some of this shit to yourself.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
"The word that my daughter calls the 'f-slur for a homosexual' was commonly used when I was a kid, with a different application,"

as if f***** was not a homophobic term in the 1980s

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
Funny to imagine what sorts of adolescent conversations he's having at his age where this even comes up. He's like "I gotta figure out a different way to make fun of my friends. By the way I'm in my 50s."

The thing of it still being prevalent in high schools isn't too surprising. Between relishing the opportunities to say shitty things + homophobia among adolescents (and an inflated sense of the "nuance" they're using), I imagine high school will be the last holdout for the term. But Damon graduated high school like 30+ years ago and among adults it's definitely been a known thing for decades. That's willfully holding out on his part. Though like others said, least he came around eventually. Sure looks stupid here though.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I think the main thing is that people are applauding the action not really saying he's a good person now. Or at least that's what it should be.

Stepping up to the plate, saying you were wrong and owning it and then changing your behavior is a good thing. And more old people should do that.

What's with the old? As if younger people don't use hate language.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how much he actually used it if his daughter only heard it for the first time "months ago". Either he isn't around his daughter much, or he doesn't say it often? One or the other.

He learned, I guess...

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I can appreciate his honesty, even if he's a bit late.

Todd Glass has had a few rants about stuff like this and I think this one is pretty good.

youtu.be

Todd Glass on "faggy" and "gay"

This is a couple clips taken from Todd's recent appearance on Marc Maron's WTF podcast (http://www.wtfpod.com/). I decided to post this separately because ...

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how much he actually used it if his daughter only heard it for the first time "months ago". Either he isn't around his daughter much, or he doesn't say it often? One or the other.

He learned, I guess...
I have a feeling he wasn't using it commonly just used it recently and got called out.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
"The word that my daughter calls the 'f-slur for a homosexual' was commonly used when I was a kid, with a different application,"
lol no.

It seems that everybody that's called out for using it always says that they didn't mean it that way or that it was joke. But EVERYBODY damn well knew the full implication of that word as homophobic slur when you weren't joking around with friends. Everybody always knew that it's a homophobic slur and knew the people that were the intended targets of that slur. You understood that before 2021. Just because you may have never intentionally called a gay person that slur doesn't make it any less of a homophobic slur.

Anyways glad he stopped. But surprised he just stopped in 2021 AND it took his own daughter to call him out on it. But still, glad he decided to change rather than be stubborn about it.

cDNA

Oct 25, 2017
Good that he is not using it anymore.
However, he was smart enough to no say the slur in public for years( I don't remember any incident), but his daughter has to explain him that was not okay to do it in private.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
This dude was still saying it up till a few months ago? And admitted it? No self awareness lmao

Good on his daughter at least

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Matt Damon really is a dumbass. Not just for using that word until a few months ago, but admitting to it and thinking he was gonna get praised or some shit.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Good on his daughter, good on him for learning and growing (better late than never).

Hieronymus Bosch

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2021
Matt Damon really is a dumbass. Not just for using that word until a few months ago, but admitting to it and thinking he was gonna get praised or some shit.

Did he set up this interview to discuss only this?

Journalists are gonna milk every word from interviews for stories

I don't think he's expecting praise here

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I think some of you would be surprised at how the changes on these things haven't permeated in redder areas of the country the way it perhaps has in your social circles or more liberal areas.

The very IDEA that homophobic slurs (and or the nonsensical reasoning damon implies in this article) have been for the better part 'defeated' for 15 years or so is absolutely not the reality everywhere in the country folks. We are a long way from the finish line on that. Like, seriously.

Let this be made public for the off chance that it helps more people make that progress, even if its late by someone else's (or even just reasonable) standards.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Someone called him out, he listened, learned and changed. Cool story bro. Probably could've kept this in the back pocket forever but I guess if this makes Matt Damon fan #239 still using that term derogatorily or as a joke in their world re-think what they say and really inspect it then I guess this story served a purpose.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
Jesus Matt. Was definitely tuning in for a funny story about the other F-word. Embarrassing, still has no perspective

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Damn, I was a teen in the 90s, but I was never comfortable using the F slur. Gay as an insult and the r word I used quite a bit then. I retired gay as a insult in like, 2001 and the r word in 2003ish.

Come on Matt.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, he is admitting to changing for the better and it isn't some hollow apology after a heated gamer moment or something. A smart person would have omitted the "months ago" part. But, whatever.

MajorBritten

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
lol no.

It seems that everybody that's called out for using it always says that they didn't mean it that way or that it was joke. But EVERYBODY damn well knew the full implication of that word as homophobic slur when you weren't joking around with friends. Everybody always knew that it's a homophobic slur and knew the people that were the intended targets of that slur. You understood that before 2021. Just because you may have never intentionally called a gay person that slur doesn't make it any less of a homophobic slur.

Depends where you grew up, in the UK when I was growing up it was used a lot in a more playful way when children were misbehaving, with a similar meaning to 'sod', my mum used to call me a "cheeky f****t" all the time. The word is also used for a kind of meatball and the shortened version is more commonly used for cigarettes in the UK.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Picturing any grown-ass adult using that word is so fucking cringe. Even back when it was more common place, it always felt like a word that should be dropped from one's vocabulary at about the age of 15.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Credit to him for raising a daughter who's not afraid to tell their dad WTF is wrong with them. Good on him for learning too but jesus fuck it's 2021 dude.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I am completely unsurprised that a celebrity would be behind on things like this. They're mostly surrounded by yay-sayers and sycophantic fans who will never correct them, so them being schooled by their kids, who actually live in (a fancy version of) the real world and don't mind giving them shit is probably pretty common.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd get it if it was like 5 years to a decade ago, but just a few months? Damn dude. Glad his daughter got him corrected at least.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
The amount of it's 2021 post in here is kind of shocking. Maybe you guys have insulated yourselves pretty well but society is racist and homophobic as fuck. I've worked/been around people who have no problem using that term and I'm 95% sure their dropping n bombs when I'm not around.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
You can tell which people here have decidedly isolated themselves from larger swathes of society if they think the f-slur has fallen out of style.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good on his daughter. Wild that it's this late, but also good that he learned and broadcast his education.

Maybe shouldn't have tossed in the "months" part, but hey.

You can tell which people here have decidedly isolated themselves from larger swathes of society if they think the f-slur has fallen out of style.

Also correct. I think that people both overestimate and underestimate how bigoted the world is. Overestimate because things have certainly gotten better.

Underestimate because people seem to think that everyone perceives language like this in the same way as themselves or their internet friends.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The amount of it's 2021 post in here is kind of shocking. Maybe you guys have insulated yourselves pretty well but society is racist and homophobic as fuck. I've worked/been around people who have no problem using that term and I'm 95% sure their dropping n bombs when I'm not around.
He's in LA right? Not exactly backwater country.