Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
pretty much same as my thoughts on the game, they tried something risky, but it didn't really work for me

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Review has a whole lot of spoilers, including a thorough dissection of the ending. Do not watch it if you haven't finished the game.

I did skip ahead to hear his final thoughts on the game, and I would say that I came away with far more positive appreciation for the game than he seems to have.

Now to listen to the whole thing and see exactly why his thoughts differ from mine.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
Had to skip ahead but it seems to fall into the whole "Ellie should've killed Abby" thing that I just don't agree with.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Had to skip ahead but it seems to fall into the whole "Ellie should've killed Abby" thing that I just don't agree with.
Well, already lost me then.

Edit-watched the whole video since this comment for people that quote me here, still basically disagree about all his fundamental story points, especially that last part.

Last edited:

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
don't like this review he has a ridiculous hang up about flashbacks.

he doesn't understand the empathy at the end
he goes on to say the most ridiculous things "this person may have been pregnant" "that guy may have been a father"........ect

Last edited:

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Skipped to the end and heard him say, "despite all the nihilistic shit in the game".

Yea...no. This isn't nihilistic.

DreamSurf

Banned
May 27, 2018
What does he say about the gameplay? Couldn't imagine he says anything other than its a massive improvement in terms of combat and level design.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's like watching the dark knight and saying "hurr why doesn't Batman kill Joker he killed his lover". it's about the morality of the character, his ability to stop himself from being "the monster" at the end.
He says at the end she should have killed her to mirror Joel from the first game. The entire point was to be the opposite of that, and she was able to make the right choice.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, I was NOT expecting him to make a video on this. He was firmly in the "TLOU1 should not have had a sequel featuring the same characters" camp.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
So him not understanding the story or otherwise agreeing with you on its execution invalidates anything he might have to say about the design of the game?

Considering the time the video was posted, safe to say almost no one that has commented on it had fully watched it yet, so you know the usual lol.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Definitely raises a bunch of points I agree with so far

So him not understanding the story or otherwise agreeing with you on its execution invalidates anything he might have to say about the design of the game?
And lol that people aren't even watching the video but just skip to the end

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So 17 minutes after someone posts a 35-minute video a couple of users with TLOU2 avatars come waltzing in dunking on this guy for "missing the point"..

You need to calm down.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Yea it really is. I guess this story is such a jump up from any standard game story they just aren't used to it or something.

Yaps that is certainly it, no other possible explanation, the last of us 2 is so far ahead of anything else story wise that his feeble mind couldn't possibly comprehend the themes of revenge bad in a not zombie apocalypse setting.

Luxorek

Oct 25, 2017
Poland
I gotta say, it's a bit comical to see Ellie avatars denigrating this review. Even funnier when you say you didn't even watch it fully and just skipped to end.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
So 17 minutes after someone posts a 35-minute video a couple of users with TLOU2 avatars come waltzing in dunking on this guy for "missing the point"..

You need to calm down.

"I skipped to the end, it doesn't align with my view on the game, they must not have understood its themes".

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
Ah okay. That saves me some time. Thanx
Well, already lost me then.

You're the "hear no evil" types aren't you?

Mattewmatosis is one of the few long form reviewers who does an excellent job at explaining his view point, why he didn't like something and his interpretation. If this is all you got from it, why even bother?

At least take the time to watch and respond instead of drive-by posts.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After having watched the full video you can really tell how many people jumping in here admitting they skimmed it and saying "he didn't get that it's not a game about nihilism" or "Ellie should've killed Abby" didn't actually watch the video.

coldsagging

AVALANCHE
Oct 27, 2017
I'll definitely be watching this tomorrow, Matthew puts a hell of a lot of thought and effort into his reviews. His Demon's Souls review/playthrough is excellent.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You're the "hear no evil" types aren't you?

Mattewmatosis is one of the few long form reviewers who does an excellent job at explaining his view point, why he didn't like something and his interpretation. If this is all you got from it, why even bother?

At least take the time to watch and respond instead of drive-by posts.
It's not a driveby. Wanting to her to still kill Abby at the and just fundamentally misses what the whole point is. I have skipped to see the end of lets plays of the game too. There are some that scream for Ellie to brutally kill her and then I know already.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
It's not a driveby. Wanting to her to still kill Abby at the and just fundamentally misses what the whole point is. I have skipped to see the end of lets plays of the game too. There are some that scream for Ellie to brutally kill her and then I know already.

talk about living in an echochamber.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
It's not a driveby. Wanting to her to still kill Abby at the end just fundamentally misses what the whole point is. I have skipped to see the end of lets plays of the game too. There are some that scream for Ellie to brutally kill her and then I know already.

This isn't a Let's Play, it's a review. He does an excellent job of explaining his opinions and views on a game. You choosing to ignore it doesn't change what I think you're doing, which is ignoring something that goes against your views.

Naughty Dog tried something, a lot of people think what they say the themes are don't necessarily reflect in the gameplay. I find the game average like the first one. Just prettier and more fun to kill people. I'm watching the review now but, as always, he made a well thought-out video and warrants actually watching the whole thing rather than just skipping to the end.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just finished it. Awesome review, didn't agree with on a number of points but I think Matthewmatosis does a good job explaining his perspective without coming across as condescending or unsympathetic to the developer's intentions. Plus, he does it in significantly less time than those bloated, 3-hour long "video essays" that have become popular in youtube's gaming sphere.

Anyways, I liked the game more than he did it seems but his perspective is appreciated.

Oct 25, 2017
Some of you guys really need to take a step back and stop being so defensive. I love the game and think it's one of the best games ever made, but it's absolutely fine if it didn't work for others and they think otherwise. Not all of the critics are 4chan manbabies and it's tiring seeing any critique get shut down.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a Let's Play, it's a review. He does an excellent job of explaining his opinions and views on a game. You choosing to ignore it doesn't change what I think you're doing, which is ignoring something that goes against your views.

Naughty Dog tried something, a lot of people think what they say the themes are don't necessarily reflect in the gameplay. I'm watching the review now but, as always, he made a well thought-out video and warrants actually watching the whole thing rather than just skipping to the end.
Okay. I'll watch the rest and give my full take on it

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Every TLoU fanboy is skipping to the end to see if the reviewer is lavishing praise, then responding with the person doesn't understand the story etc, when it's not a 10/10, the usual.